The cost of gal

I know this is possibly a question many are curious about. Just like the song from Cake “How do you afford your Rock and Roll lifestyle?” the same question is asked about gals.

Before I start let me say it’s very possible to carry off the gal look without one or all of these items, but many consider them a necessity.

Nails:

Cost: Around 6000 yen upwards
Last: 1 month (touch-ups free within a certain time)

Cheap alternative: Self manicure (600 yen-ish) or Press-on nails (3000 yen-ish)

Importance: Middle, most everyone has them so its best to have cute ones.

Hair care:

Dying: Cost 6000 yen to 16000 yen plus
Last: 1 month(ish), roots aren’t sexy ladies

Cheap alternative: Home products and color conditioners

Importance: Extremely, barely anyone stays with their original black

Extensions: 8000 to 30000yen
Last: 1 month

Cheap alternative: finding specials on Hot Pepper Beauty (the 11000 price for 80), clip in extensions (3500 at Paris Kids to ?? for custom), wigs

Importance: Less girls are wearing these, but good extension work can be seen as instant-gal

Eyes:

Contacts: Cost 3500 for a pair lasting a year, cheaper for non prescription

Importance: Very, most girls love these. I’m a total convert.

Eyelash extensions (article)
Cost 7000 to 15000
Last: 1 month

Cheap alternative: Bulk lashes (1500 for 5) or good quality ones by Shu Uemura and MAC (1500 for one pair), Lash extending mascara

Importance: Getting higher with gals everyday. I keep seeing so many gals in eye exte.

Tanning:

Cost: 1500 – 3500 per visit for 20-30 minutes
Last: As long as you keep up with it

Cheap alternative: Paleness if you’re hime or agejo or self tanner (1500 for a bottle)

Importance: With the rise of Agejo it’s becoming less and less, but I loooove my brownness

So how do you do it?

When you consider a clothing budget is needed as well, this all starts adding up. Most girls don’t do one or two of these to save money. Many search through coupon magazine and website hot pepper to get discounts. Many aren’t as dedicated to one salon unless they’re always cheap and good. A few gals I know get their nails done in Yokohama for the cheaper large Swarovski stones. Another girl I know just jumps on anything hot pepper offers.

Others wait longer between hair and nail sessions and wear hats to cover their roots or allow themselves to have a missing nail if its cheaper to wait for the other 9 to be weak.

What are your necessities?

1. kod ekle
    June 27, 2009 / 12:07 pm

Greetings from Turkey.Have a nice day.

2. Angelica
    June 27, 2009 / 5:57 pm

love this post :) very informative. being gal is truly expensive.

3. dokiri
    June 28, 2009 / 2:57 pm

This is really good! I love how you also added cheap alternatives:D

I hate how girls want to try gyaru but end up looking horrible because they say they don't have money. The gals in Japan(and also in the West) don't have that much money either but they still keep on rocking the style!

4. Violet LeBeaux
    June 28, 2009 / 11:48 pm

Great post! I do hime gal on a budget, I do my own nails and hair, I don't tan and my lashes are re-usable fakes… leaving all my money for pretty clothes! :D Having no money is no excuse for looking bad!

5. malignita
    July 14, 2009 / 9:22 pm

I always love reading these posts! I'm curious, how popular is Forever 21 with gals over there? It's a real mainstay here in America for affordable gal clothes.

6. Mitsu
    July 14, 2009 / 10:36 pm

mal: Since it just opened up in Harajuku, it's really popular with all Japanese not just gal. The same thing happened in Ginza last year with h&m. However since its so hard to get into (lines always!) it's hard to obsess about the store since it's always picked over. I did see two gals yesterday walking back from Hatajuku with their goodies, this fall it should be less lines and more popular just to shop not just to look ^_^

7. January 28, 2011 / 8:52 pm

gosh the price is much cheaper in the USA.
    Nails: 1972 yen $22
    Contacts: 1643 yen $20

And as for the others I never seen the cost that high. I guess being a gal is cheaper everywhere except the Japan which is ironic

8. Yan
    November 18, 2011 / 4:34 pm

I’ve always wanted long nails, with the rhinestones and all. I don’t feel gal without it, but unfortunately, being a pianist, long nails aren’t exactly the best thing ever ):
    It just makes me feel like I’m not dedicated enough ):