Human Hair Extensions 101

Human Hair Extensions Treatment 101

American salons are terribly expensive with Hair Extensions and can be known to charge 500+ per session. Japanese salons however often offer specials offering $130 USD for a set. If you’re planning a vacation soon to Japan or live there already, extensions are best gotten there. Don’t worry about your light colored hair, Japanese salons keep light colors on hand.

Getting extensions done in Japan:

I don’t know any/ know very little Japanese!

Visit a JR train station and pick up an issue of HOT PEPPER BEAUTY. This is a beauty circular that lists deals, store openings on nails, extensions, skincare etc… Hot Pepper is divided up into regions and cities so pick up the closest one to you. Look for an extension place with 放題 after the price. This means all you can get.

Ask your homestay or hotel concierge to book you an appointment at one you see. Have an idea already where it’s located and also how many extensions you want. When you arrive if you don’t have a Japanese speaker with you or use hand gestures, they can get you amazingly far.

Recommendations

Argent Sue (see previous post)

Line

My normal place is the ladies of Line in Takananobaba, Tokyo off the Yamanote Line.

They are at 2-8-5 Shinjuku-ku Takananobaba
Telephone is 03-3204-2727

Line only does extensions and their prices are pretty great.
They range at 140 for 40 pieces non-mix to 245 for 60 pieces mix hair (if your hair is natural color then you’re probably mix). The extensions are good for about 8 weeks and their staff rocks.

How long?

Extensions generally last from 1 month to 2 1/2 months, depending on time of care spent on them. Any longer and they get too frizzy. While natural hair extensions ARE natural hair they do not have a root to live off of so they must always be kept moisturized (more in the care section).

How many?

Using poupee I chose 4 different hair lengths and showed how many hair extensions might look for you.

Choice A: Going under 60 is a very bad idea. Your extensions could look scraggily or you’ll feel the need to always wear them in a ponytail.

Choice B: This was my hair length for many extension rounds and I preferred 60 for a full enough look.

Choice C: With long enough hair, it’s okay to scale back some, but any less than 45 and you’re in trouble. 50-55 is best here.

Choice D: You already have long hair! Actually many women with long hair choose extensions to give their hair a fuller look. Sometimes 20 is enough, but don’t get over 40. You’re over paying.

Other factors to consider: If you hair has been Japanese straightened you will want more. If your has more than a natural wave and you prefer it that way you might look messy in extensions (which are mildly wavy at best). Straightening, then curling is the best idea.

Choice of hair-cut before extensions?

Any layered look helps blend them more. When extensions are done well people will never think of your hair as fake. If you dye your hair, you must must must have your hair newly dyed before extensions. Using a color booster shampoo on your natural hair is a good idea.

General tips:

– Resist blow drying your hair. You’re taking out moisture of already dead hair. Bad idea!

– Keep a comb handy. Extensions tangle often so on a windy day if your hair is loose you’ll have to keep brushing them.

– Do not wash your hair everyday. This only dries out the hair more. If you must wash your hair multiple days in a row, consider washing only your real hair. Pile your exntensions up in a bun, loosen all the natural hair you can. Wash around the extensions. (See poupee pic)

– Always use leave in conditioner before you style and loosening knots.

Extension care timetable:

Getting them: Get them LONGER than you want. Always!

Week 1: Your hair is lusterious and shiny. Resist the urge to curl. It’s beautiful so silky and straight!

Week 2: Curl, style and enjoy. Use your first leave in conditioner. Keep it on for about 30 minutes.

Week 3: If your ends are feeling ragged, cut them off. This removes the brittle hair from curling/general use and makes your hair feel fluffy. This is why I said to get them longer. Keep using leave in conditioner.

Week 4: Start using leave in conditioner as your regular conditioner. Keep it on your extensions overnight at least once this week. Consider only curling the tips and using your straight iron less.

Week 5: Cut more of your ends, and braid your hair at night into a loose thick braid. The braiding keeps your extension hair from tangling. Continue with leave in treatments.

Week 6 – 8: Maintenance is key to keeping your extensions lasting. Since older extension hair tangles often it’s best to keep them always curled so you won’t have to brush when you’re out and about. Sleep in leave in conditioner as much as you can. Continue trimming your extensions. The better you treat your extensions, the less times you have to pay for them!

Week 9+: Know when to say when. Tangled and dry hair is not hot at any length. Even if you take the utmost care of them, they will get this way eventually. Accept this and take out your nappy hair girl!

Tools of the trade:

Giant curlers – Use these on the top for your head to after your hair is damp dry. They will provide body without the blowdrying.

Mega clips – Provide more grip to curlers, and keep hair out the way when styling

Exte Conditioner – Most exte salons will sell this

Detangling Spray – Found at your salon or grocery store.

Leave in Conditioner – DO NOT get exte without owning this. It is an absolute must.

Round Brush – Allows for more volume.

Quality hairspray + wax – Japanese brand Keep in their pink bottle does great in this disgusting heat.

1. Reika
    July 14, 2009 / 11:49 am

intersting post!
    I think that in more places have to learn how japanese put the extensions! I think is the best way but in spain nobody does.
    Sorry for my poor inglish! your blog is the best! and you're so cute! Is nice see your face aswell :)
    kisses!

2. LANA~
    July 14, 2009 / 6:35 pm

I'm going to follow your blog~ ^o^

3. Violet LeBeaux
    July 15, 2009 / 12:19 am

Oow thanks for all of these tips! This is a great post :D

4. Aleisha
    July 26, 2009 / 8:20 am

Thanks for this post, I didn't realise extensions were so cheap in Japan! I think I know where to take my next holiday :)

5. kira-kira-sparkle
    May 13, 2010 / 12:41 am

Mitsu-san! Hey gurl I’ve just discovered your blog and I absolutely LOVE it! I dubbed it the gal’s bible lol. Everything is so well explained and thought out! Any question I have about gal life I go straight here! Hehe! Anyway, I’m travelling to Japan (Tokyo) this year (October 2010) and I’m planning to get hair extensions. I really wanna go to Yuhouse! So, I was just wondering if you know how long the longest hair extensions are at Yuhouse? Price is not really an issue, but I don’t wanna get ripped off! Can you also get as many extensions as you want or do they advise you on a number to get? And if you know how far it is from Shibuya 109? I’m using 109 as a place to start from when finding other places lol! Sorry for asking so many questions! But your the only one that actually replies to comments! Hope to here from you soon gurl! Your the best! Take care! X
    Donna

May 13, 2010 / 6:10 am

Unsure @ their longest. They have a price chart when you go in and you pay more for length. I have usually picked their first or second length choice for my exte, but there’s two more length options.

I usually suggest 70-80 for people. It just depends on the length original hair. I think their hodai (all you can get) is up to a certain amount.

It’s amazingly close to 109. Plug the address into google maps and you’ll see it’s just 2 streets away or so :wink:

6. May 13, 2010 / 8:01 pm

Thanks girls! That helped alot! Also wondering if you recommend that I ask my hotel concierge to make an appointment on my behalf, or can I just walk in? Oh, and can you please tell me the Yuhouse address in romaji/romanji please? My kanji reading skills are wack. Thank you so much Mitsu!

Donna x

7. May 13, 2010 / 8:01 pm

Thanks girls! That helped alot! Also wondering if you recommend that I ask my hotel concierge to make an appointment for Yuhouse on my behalf, or can I just walk in? Oh, and can you please tell me the Yuhouse address in romaji/romanji please? My kanji reading skills are wack. Thank you so much Mitsu!

Donna x

8. May 13, 2010 / 8:02 pm

Thanks girl! That helped alot! Also wondering if you recommend that I ask my hotel concierge to make an appointment for Yuhouse on my behalf, or can I just walk in? Oh, and can you please tell me the Yuhouse address in romaji/romanji please? My kanji reading skills are wack. Thank you so much Mitsu!

Donna x

May 13, 2010 / 8:15 pm

this is the best way to find it, since they do wonderful pics of how to get there from 109

It’s best to get a concierge to call up, Japanese often find it rude to show up instead of making an appointment beforehand.

9. Ma-chan
    May 14, 2010 / 9:57 am

Hi there! First of all love your blog! Yay! Hehe, well I was just wondering, what is the difference between, Yuhouse and Yuhouse Neo? And which one out of the two is the best to go to for a cut, colour and extensions?

May 14, 2010 / 10:19 am

There’s no difference. While they use the first floor just for exte, but you book your appointment through both. They probably just wanted to name it something when they got a bigger space.

10. Ma-Chan
    May 14, 2010 / 1:56 pm

Oh thank you! So I won’t have to book separate appointments right? Like when it’s time to do my extensions after the cut and colour they will send me downstairs to Yuhouse Neo? Or do they do them at the plain Yuhouse aswell. Sorry, for my many questions. -____-;

11. Ji-young
    July 3, 2010 / 3:26 pm

Hello Mitsu n_n~. My name is Ji-Young. I will go to Japan in three months time! I hope it’s okay to ask u a question here… I searched on Google before I came here but would like you thoughts! I wanna find a good gyaru hair salon in Chiba that cuts, dyes and does long extensions. I found one called Hair Salon Eden, but couldn’t read if they did long extensions. Do you know of any good gyaru hair salons in Chiba? Please tell me of some if you know about any.
    Thank you so much for your time! Kamsamnida! m(_ _)m