Disclaimer: If you still love the jrock look and want to stay with it, rock on girls. This post in no way intends to knock down jrock style. Its made to show girls who have removed from j rock and want to go gal, but often I see too much jrock influence and not enough gal styling.
Breaking up with j-rock.
To discuss rock style in a gal sense there has to be a divorce between j-rock styles work vs. how rock styles work.
Rock kei is…
skinny heels and engineer boots, not chunky tall platforms
revealing and sexy with sleeveless, hotpants
pops of fun color mixed with hard rock elements: studs, rips, zippers
visible bras and low-cut tops
often mixed with mannish: vests, cuffs, button-ups but always revealing or tight
casual silver jewelry such as Justin Davis
metal and crystal large deco as a nail style
Top things ex-jrockers do wrongly getting into gal fashion:
2. Eyebrows, making them real and gal brown – Stop over plucking and shaving them off. I keep seeing this too much and it’s a shame how ladies get addicted to tiny brows. Just let your brows grow out and then use the awesome kit: Anastasia Brow Express. It’s a personal fave.
3. Nude lip – All gals do not do this, but it’s a must for those removing themselves from j-rock. No red lips!
4. Eyelashes – J-rock girls, your skill is eyeliner, but fake eyelashes? Nope. This tutorial is excellent for tips on how to apply and making corrections.
5. Heels – No rocker platforms needed. Engineer boots are eternally rock-kei, but heels can be sexy too. Try a pair of pumps or sandals with a sexy skinny heel and not a pointed to
6. Only incoporate one ex-Jrock item into your look at a time – Especially if it is from a Japanese brand. Jrock is a label just like gal is, labels go with clothing. I know you might be attached to that punk sweater with the fishnet details and safety pin theme, but it probably screams “I love Jrock”. Make sure to keep your look as gal as possible. Accenuate hair/make/nails instead of tough accessories or loud clothing.
The fact is ex-jrock style girls, you’re going to need to try harder to work with more natural colors in hair and make-up and save your edge for accessories and clothing. Study pictures especially in rock-style driven Nuts magazine as well as Gilfy and Glad News ads.
Challenge your style:
– buy something very girly and see if you can design a hair/make-up look to go around it
– incorporate natural colors into your looks, Hiromi above is wearing khaki and still looking tough. This goes doubly important for make-up.
– curl your hair, no not all gals do this, but it will help you move to a softer gal look
– study gal magazines, and see how they put together a look. What can you use from their style? What do you like and hate?
…I said this before on summer tips to practice your walk, but jrock girls you are used to chunky heels and therefore have a tendency to stomp, even in heels. It’s not sexy so keep your steps light and practice, practice, practice!