J-Rock divorce

Disclaimer: If you still love the jrock look and want to stay with it, rock on girls. This post in no way intends to knock down jrock style. Its made to show girls who have removed from j rock and want to go gal, but often I see too much jrock influence and not enough gal styling.

Breaking up with j-rock.

To discuss rock style in a gal sense there has to be a divorce between j-rock styles work vs. how rock styles work.

A recent GN ad featuring Nuts models Hoshiaya and Hiromi working the sexyness of the Rock style.

Rock kei is…

skinny heels and engineer boots, not chunky tall platforms
revealing and sexy with sleeveless, hotpants
pops of fun color mixed with hard rock elements: studs, rips, zippers
visible bras and low-cut tops
often mixed with mannish: vests, cuffs, button-ups but always revealing or tight
casual silver jewelry such as Justin Davis
metal and crystal large deco as a nail style

Top things ex-jrockers do wrongly getting into gal fashion:

Shown is Danger Girl, a jrock ladies band.
1. Lack of blonde or caramel hair coloring – The hair has to change ladies. Successful gal rock doesn’t work without a fresh color change.

2. Eyebrows, making them real and gal brown – Stop over plucking and shaving them off. I keep seeing this too much and it’s a shame how ladies get addicted to tiny brows. Just let your brows grow out and then use the awesome kit: Anastasia Brow Express. It’s a personal fave.

3. Nude lip – All gals do not do this, but it’s a must for those removing themselves from j-rock. No red lips!

4. Eyelashes – J-rock girls, your skill is eyeliner, but fake eyelashes? Nope. This tutorial is excellent for tips on how to apply and making corrections.

5. Heels – No rocker platforms needed. Engineer boots are eternally rock-kei, but heels can be sexy too. Try a pair of pumps or sandals with a sexy skinny heel and not a pointed to

6. Only incoporate one ex-Jrock item into your look at a time – Especially if it is from a Japanese brand. Jrock is a label just like gal is, labels go with clothing. I know you might be attached to that punk sweater with the fishnet details and safety pin theme, but it probably screams “I love Jrock”. Make sure to keep your look as gal as possible. Accenuate hair/make/nails instead of tough accessories or loud clothing.

The fact is ex-jrock style girls, you’re going to need to try harder to work with more natural colors in hair and make-up and save your edge for accessories and clothing. Study pictures especially in rock-style driven Nuts magazine as well as Gilfy and Glad News ads.

Challenge your style:

– buy something very girly and see if you can design a hair/make-up look to go around it
– incorporate natural colors into your looks, Hiromi above is wearing khaki and still looking tough. This goes doubly important for make-up.
– curl your hair, no not all gals do this, but it will help you move to a softer gal look
– study gal magazines, and see how they put together a look. What can you use from their style? What do you like and hate?

…I said this before on summer tips to practice your walk, but jrock girls you are used to chunky heels and therefore have a tendency to stomp, even in heels. It’s not sexy so keep your steps light and practice, practice, practice!

1. Valentine
    September 29, 2009 / 5:06 pm

I was waiting for this, thanks! :D I love gal rock kei and have moved away from j-rock fan looks [not necessary from all the music, though] a while back, and wondered how to use some of my old stuff – this really helped!

2. Lanna
    September 29, 2009 / 9:25 pm

This is a very good guide:)very informative.
    I love rock kei,I was never commited to jrock fashion which properly made it easier for me to try gyaru….althought i did have a jrock mullet(cringe)
    Have you seen Sakurina's new hair?

3. Mitsu
    September 30, 2009 / 12:43 am

Lanna: LOL I was about to post it! I decided to wait for a Sakurina Momoeri post I have coming up :D

4. dokiri
    September 30, 2009 / 7:30 pm

I LOVE this! I can't seem to get away from my jrock side so now I'm doing rokku style:) haha it took some time before I could actually apply the fake lashes but I learned and now it goes smoothly:D

I think most jrcok girls that are getting into gal should read this because it will help a lot. I've seen a lot of fails of previous jrock girls that are trying to do gyaru.

5. Anonymous
    December 28, 2009 / 10:51 pm

Danger Gang isnt gal fashion dumb ass. They are fucking visual kei. Get your shit straight.

• Lovely
      January 26, 2010 / 3:44 pm

You’re the dumb ass she labeled them as a “jrock” example not a gal fashion.

January 26, 2010 / 3:49 pm

please take time to read before getting offended, they were my visual kei example.

• Mindy
        March 24, 2013 / 7:29 pm

Just fyi, you typo’ed them as Danger Girl.

6. November 23, 2010 / 6:00 am

hey! i was reading your site for hours…i find it pretty useful!!!

i’m from hungary currently studying in taipei, so i can find here lots of (brand and fake) gyaru clothing, accesories (as taiwan tries to copy japan).
    (but exte is not popular here i guess, so far i found only one hairdresser here (a japanese one) who does exte but for quite an unreasonable price)
    i hope sooner or later i can go across to japan *.* (that’s the main reason i came to taiwan:)))

(anyway no offense but you made here a mistake, the vk band above you referred to is called Danger Gang not Danger Girl:))

i want to share my thoughts about this post: maybe ex-jrockers (as me) look mixed while transforming into gyaru because it takes time to change your whole wardrobe, and not everyone has enough money (or more likely money is never enough:D) for this drastic change:) (in my case last year i had some difficulties finding a job, because i had a tight schedule in my college, and now in taiwan i’m not allowed to work, until i lived here for more than a year, which is really sucks…)
    and the other thing is getting these stuff is much more harder if you’re not in japan, especially if you were born into a smaller european country like me.
    i know about this, cause after i felt like changing into a more girlish, more grown-up look (about a year ago) i started to spend half an hour (or more) standing in front of my wardrobe clueless choosing my coordinate…it’s because i want to wear absolutely different clothes from what i own…so i keep collecting:)

i love your blog, keep up the good work! sorry for the long comment! ^.<
    kisses

7. k
    February 22, 2013 / 1:02 pm

I don’t agree with the hair color part. you can have bright hair and still be gyaru. not blonde or caramel.

February 22, 2013 / 1:29 pm

That article was written back in 2009. ._.;;;

Hair changes a lot in so many years.

Although the way that jrock hair is colored and gyaru hair is colored even with the same crazy bright colors is often different. It’s what keeps them separate.