Adult Shibuhara HaraShibu, Brown hair, Kanako’s outfits and New Links

Thanks to madeleine for pointing out my unconscious shortening of ShibuyaHarajuku Style. I tend to just engrish it to ShiHara シハラ, but it’s better known to Popteen and Popsister readers as Shibu-Hara-Kei 渋原系. However, to Egg readers it’s known as Hara-Shibu-Kei 原渋系. As long as you know it’s a mix of Harajuku streetwear + 109 gal styling, you’re good! :cheery:

Popteen’s PopSister March Preview

PopSister gets a little love and little grump from me. I absolutely love Shihara style. Living a 10 minute walk to Takeshita-dori in Harajuku an almost equally 6 minute walk to Shibuya 109, I was in Shibuya Harajuku (although admittedly my heart lies somewhere within the cylinder of 109, even if I do have a few pieces from stores at LaForet :hearts2: )! The problem is after the first issue of PopSister I kept seeing the same looks.

It really seemed to me this was the Shibuhara Equation.

Shibuhara/HaraShibu Equation

Head: Nerdy large glasses and/OR pompom ski hat
Shirt: Flowy shirt dress with writing OR Nerdy layered stripes + tee with writing
Bottoms: Loose hotpants OR frill skirt
Tights: Printed tights mismatching w/ top OR slouchy socks
Shoes: Cowboy boots, engineer boots, or sneakers (best if high tops)

Any style if it’s predictable, even if it’s good can get boring. PopSister fell into this trap for me. -_-
HOWEVER… that has really changed with PopSister’s insert in the March issue of PopTeen.

:sparkle2:  YAY!!! :sparkle2: :hearts:

“I want to be a grown up lady in Shibuhara!” (lit: I want to do grown up lady in Shibuhara style)

Those tights are splendid!

The pumps, jacket and chain bag do bring a new adult look in Shibuhara.

The lace tights + the lace jacket is fabulous and it’s not looking to cliched 1980s. It’s possibly that fun trend hat keeping it in the NOW.

Call me impressed and a renewed PopSister lover. :stepup:  I think it’s quite clever how they’re using florals, lace tights and chain bags to move into a more chic look; yet keeping funky cuts and mixing in really casual items to keep it Shibuhara.

:sparkle2: Handclap Popsister! :sparkle2:

Popteen Browns

Popteen model Marimo (Murata Mari 村田莉) showed off her great brown color in the new issue. Since my gal hair talk I’ve been really wanting to show the different colors and styles of gal hair recently (hopefully you’ve taken note in the catalogs, too). Here Marimo shows how there’s nothing wrong about being dark haired and gal, as long as your hair styling is chic, pretty and fluffy. :note:

Popteen also introduces some other girls with dark hair. That spicy red is GORGEOUS! :korila: The two-tone bottom is also trending. :sparkle2:

Kanako’s Outfit Series

Egg top model Kanako Kuwabata recently did a series of all the outfits she’s worn, and her favorite stores.

I only picked a few outfits, but tons are available in her outfit post. She’s already gotten over 140 comments, so it’s been a popular post for her.

w*c love with Shihara hat and shoes.

The trend red romper works great as a rock/oraora look. :note:

Her w*c bow looks super cute with blue outfit. Her shoes remind me of Utsukushii’s shoe post. :sparkle:

Then she goes a mix of amekaji and street with her cute w*c bow. Not my style but love the mannish take. :star2:

Her Glad News dress looks like Bloomzy’s and she paired it with a black can-can hat.

Her 109 brand favorites: Backs, Gilfy, ReDark, w*c, SBY (accessories), Rodeo Crowns and Love Boat

Her favorite brands outside of 109: BAPE, World Wide Love, Natural Nine (a street OraOra brand), Lovers Rock (a take off of Super Lovers).

I really love how she varies her style. It’s nice to see her sometimes try to step out of her comfort zone to try new things. While I admit it looks like she’s gotten much too skinny and it looks dangerous, I still want to support her as a cool and fun model :upheart:

Site and Links news

I updated the links on the GAL ROLL to the left with ladies who wanted to do a link exchange. Please update your blogs to link back to me. I did have to remove a few gals who I didn’t see links back, which I hate doing. :(  I’m all for link trading, but I feel a bit short-changed when you don’t link back. :(  If I removed you and you link back, please send a message here . If you are new and want to trade links, please comment there, too :hearts3:

1. February 23, 2010 / 8:58 am

Oh I agree that PopSister really did step it up this month, perhaps they are more seriously trying to attract readers, because it’s going to branch off soon right?

I love all the lace tights and floral prints. I think those looks are really something that can be easily pulled off, and I like the more mature and funky styling. :note:

I wanna see more Gals with red hair!! hehe, oh I might be a bit biased :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing Kanako’s coordinates, she has an interesting style and lots of different outfits. :korila: Of course I love the coordinate with the W*C bag, and the red romper really pops

2. Milkpea
    February 23, 2010 / 9:33 am

I like the Shihara look but you’re right that it can feel a little boring after a while. I use it as a fall back style for lazy days where I still want to feel like I’ve made an effort. Marimo’s hair really excites me as that’s exactly where my style is right now and I quite like it.

3. Sachi
    February 23, 2010 / 10:37 am

I’m not so into the Shibuhara/Shihara look but that Popsister looks really nice! I’m more into egg and ageha :)

I LOVE Kanako! My favourite outfit is that red romper, especially with that hair style and cap ~ :hearts2:
    Although I really like her body, want to be as thin as her ;_;

Btw thank you very much for mentioning my blog :bear:

4. Linda
    February 23, 2010 / 10:48 am

Love the two-tone bottom hair
    I agree the red spice is beautiful <3

5. February 23, 2010 / 11:35 am

FINALLY some looks from ‘Popsister’ that I would happily wear :love:
    Don’t get me wrong the other stuff they have been doing is nice, it just all looks so similar and too cutesy…more Harajuku than Shibuya, if you get what I mean. Whereas this time round it seems more Shibuya than Harajuku, although I haven’t had the time to read the shop list.

Ohh her dress is similar, I’d like to see it close up too :)

6. ai
    February 23, 2010 / 2:12 pm

AHH!!!! Thank you for the Shihara post!! :bear:
    Now I must go hunting for lace tights!

7. Lindsay
    February 23, 2010 / 3:14 pm

First of all, WOW that Kanako Kuwabata girl is skinnyyyyyyyyyyy. :P She looks like an Ai Yazawa drawing. :icon_eek: That can’t be healthy. -_-

Also, Shihara love! :love: I’ve been getting into gal only recently from J-street fashion, and I’m glad to see that it’s possible to blend the two! To be honest, though, I’m actually digging the older style that you considered formulaic more than the grown-up lady style. :roll: I’ve already got my nerdy glasses (they’re fake :wink:), and some polka-dot tights would be so cute! :mrgreen:

8. February 23, 2010 / 3:36 pm

hey thx for the popsister scans! :D I somehow didn’t notice them when I skipped through the popsister scans I downloaded so it’s nice to see them now.

I do really like the way the style changed even though I think it’s mostly going in a direction very similar to w____< I hope she'll gain just a little back..

I'm reading your blog regularly and have it linked in my blog so how about trading links? :D

9. February 23, 2010 / 3:41 pm

I do really like the way the style changed even though I think it’s mostly going in a direction very similar to w :hearts: c… which then again isn’t that ‘new’ right? :^_^;;: ah, something really confused me: maybe I’m making a mistake here but I was already a little confused when you used the term ‘shihara’ in one of your previous entries but thought it was a typo. now you’re using it again and I don’t get why? I’ve only seen ‘shibuhara'(渋原) so far, which makes sense to me because it’s the readings of the two kanji of shibu-ya 渋・谷 and hara-juku 原・宿 put together. sorry I’m not trying to nit-pick but this just kind of confused me. ;D

and ah~ kanako. I thought it was really good when she wrote in her blog about crash-diets not being good for your body and telling girls that asked her about how she is dieting to eat healthy and not just stop eating etc.. but still I think she overdid it on herself :depressed: I hope she’ll gain just a little back..

I’m reading your blog regularly and have it linked in my blog so how about trading links? :D

(sorry I had to post the comment again because the > killed it. :?:

February 23, 2010 / 3:56 pm

Sorry if I was confusing you. :!: I always think of it the shorter engrish way unconsciously I guess it makes me think of the “atarashii” combined with Harajuku, which it tends to be the new Hara. Magazines other than Popteen and Popsister, like Egg prefer to call it 原渋系 HaraShibuKei. I don’t think the magazines have gotten together and decided what it is and the proper way (unlike say OraOra which everyone calls OraOra maybe cus it’s the same front and back tho ehehehe). I really should just write a post about the mess of it all and breaking down the style, but I was a bit bored by the repeated looks.

Yeah that she even obsessed over her legs in her previous post got to me though. She’s looking dangerously unhealthy. Which does make me worry about why her mask is always over her face. Some girls do that for allergies, and some to not have to wear make-up, but I hope she’s not making herself sick :icon_eek:

10. Suyin
    February 23, 2010 / 4:24 pm

I love Kanako’s blue heel-kinda-shoes :-D
    but gosh she needs to eeeat, she is so thin!

and thankyou for posting PopSister scans, I really love their new looks :note:

11. February 23, 2010 / 5:15 pm

New PopSister is love! :hearts: Those tights are amazing… Do you know which brand they are?
    & that shot of the Spicy Red hair colour is pushing me more & more towards dyeing mine… I’m just worried about the upkeep, haha! XD
    Kanako always has the most interesting coordis~ I can’t believe she thought she was getting fat not too long ago… I wish my legs were as skinny as hers!

February 23, 2010 / 8:39 pm

The tights are by 17degrees C in Lumine Est. I’m guessing just a tights shop. Shucks, no overseas love then :(

Red hair is such upkeep, but damn if isn’t amazing on! :stepup:

Oh dear don’t say that. She looks unhealthy right now, earlier she was looking thin not so creepy. I hope she goes back to thin :rila:

12. February 23, 2010 / 8:18 pm

oh wow oh wow i really loved this post! i absolutely love kanako! she’s my absolute favorite right now.. i really love how she mixes it up with different styles too. thanks for her blog link *saves photos* and yay, my letter “n” works here.. (my letter n isn’t working on my keyboard, so i had to paste every “n” & i couldn’t get my n to paste in certain people’s comment boxes for the life of me.. ) anyway, i really love how you pointed the elements to shibuhara style.. i bought a bunch of pompom hats from Claire’s for only a $1 each the other day! ahh im supposed to do my homework, but im getting distracted ! :D again, thanks for a wonderful post!

13. February 24, 2010 / 3:06 am

I absolutely love Kanako and also all the different tights that are hitting 2010! I’ve also started noticing that a lot of the gals here are starting to all have their hair that same shade of brown (the one on Ageha’s March issue) which looks absolutely lovely but when you have every single asian you see with that same hair colour, it does get a little boring and repetitive.

I can’t wait till I get my hands on popsister march. Not sure if anyone noticed but they seem to be using the Taido Ando cross a lot as the background for some of the shoots. I wonder if there’s a reason for that.

14. February 26, 2010 / 4:56 am

Oh my God, Kanako looks so thin :!: I think she looked so lovely they way she did :(

Anyway, I really love these scans from PopSister. I usually don’t read it because I think it’s so boring xD

15. February 28, 2010 / 4:16 am

I’m new. trade links?? =)) though I already put u in my blogroll. haha.