BANGS – A step-by-step tutorial on gal styling

I plan on doing several hair tutorials on the Doll, but I thought I’d start with something very simple: BANGS.

To say bangs are popular in gal is a complete understatement. My god gals are obsessed with bangs! However, not all bangs are the same, so let’s look at a few types.

:star2: Types of bangs
:star2: Styles to match haircuts/texture
:star2: Tools of the trade
:star2: How to create a few bang styles

Four big types of bangs

The oval bang with curl under, a bit more of an adult/modern look.

The heavy slightly sideswept long bang

The blunt bang with a curl under as shown by the lovely Momoeri

Natural sideswept

Your haircut and hat can often determine how you wear your bangs.

Sideswept often is the best look when wearing hats.

Nana Suzuki benefits from a flatter bang because the rest of her hair is quite full. Ageha model Rin often does this as well.

Those of us with bobs look best with a very simple, slightly undercurled bang.

While those with flatter, longer hair look good with a bit of curl.

Now let’s get into the nitty gitty of actually making the bangs you want :hearts2:

Step one: The Tools!

The products: Johnathon’s Prep Spray, Pantene’s Frizz Control, and Nexxus Leave in Conditioner.

So heat protectant + frizz control + conditioner

1. Giant velcro rollers, absolute necessity if you want hair with volume.

2. Lip Service’s freebie hair clip :hearts3:

3. Roundbrush (that I decoed)

4. Fine toothed comb, fabulous if it has a Velcro edge like this one.

Just a simple ionic straightener, does the job and travels with me everywhere :stars:

+ my Conair Ionic blowdry (not shown :wink: )

Making bangs

When I’m getting out of the bath to get ready I like to do my make-up while my hair air dries before I roundbrush blowdry it.

I get out of the shower, towel dry my hair, and then use both the frizz control and the leave in conditioner.

Then I comb my bangs over a roller and leave them that way as I do my make-up. It keeps them out of my face while drying straight and with some volume. With my two-tone it’s extra important my bangs dry straight. :o

With my make-up finished, I’m going to take the curler out and work on blowdrying. When I blowdry my bangs I use a comb to keep my bangs in place.

Then poof, thanks to the magic of my blowdryer + roundbrush, full hair (and a stupid expression lol)! :sparkle2:

So there’s my hair base, now let’s try all the bang examples from above

Well I would show you how to do the Momoery bang love, but…

Sorry guys, after a month my bangs are too long for Momoeri’s lovely ones, but the tut below should help those with shorter bangs :sparkle2:

So let’s work on Romihi’s Oval bangs instead, which are how mine are shaped.

So now that we have a good bang shape, let’s do the Popteen fluff~!

Now you can do all of the styles, let’s just show how the sidepart looks great with all hats. :hearts2:

Sorry for the lack of eyebrow coloring :depressed: I wasn’t planning on wearing a hat today, and it’s a reason I love straight bangs. One less make-up task to do! :hearts3:

Now are you all bang fierce now? I want to see some smooth and sexy bangs this spring :cheery:

Urgh since this is my first tutorial please give critique :(  I’m really unsure exactly how people want tutorials done :?: :up:

Tags: ,

Filed under:Uncategorized

47 Responses to “BANGS – A step-by-step tutorial on gal styling”

1. Bianca says:

I always adored the oval bang, but I continue to do the side swept out of habit, great tutorial. the popteen bang looks sweet on you. ;)

• Mitsu says:

Thank you :hearts2: The Popteen bang is a biiiig step out of my style comfort zone, don’t know how much I’ll be trying it IRL :love:

2. Tori says:

omg I loved this post!! :korila:
    I was wondering how you do the fluffy wavy bang, haha… I’m afraid it would look stupid on me, but it would be fun to try on a boring weekend or something :love:
    I will definitely remember the side bangs + hat though! :hearts3:

• Mitsu says:

Thank you!! I admittedly felt like a fool doing it, but maybe because it’s new. :^_^;;: Will have to do the Kumicki style one of these days :oops:

3. ai says:

Wow! You redid Misaki’s bangs exactly!
    The tutorials are very simple and that’s how I like em :up: Although I would have liked to see a picture of you straightening the hair while twisting it but that’s all! :waves:

• Mitsu says:

I totally agree, and wanted to but lol balancing one hand a straightener and one hand a camera was not going to work with the heat on. I’ll try to add more pics to it with the straightener when it’s cold and there’s light out here to give more help :-D

4. Sara Mari says:

Oh no! I guess I am not properly taking care/styling my bang :icon_eek: haha

This tutorial is very well written and useful! I love seeing all the photo examples of bangs/fringe, it gives me lots of inspiration :hearts2: And you did a great job re-creating the looks!

Do you think its necessary to use a straightener to make nice bangs, because I hate using heat on my hair?

• Mitsu says:

I totally understand your heat fear, I was totally like that but wow heat can make hair so nice and smooth, and with heat protectant spray, I really don’t notice damage to my hair.

5. Kallen says:

Yes! I’m so glad you did this, I always have trouble with my bangs. It’s hit or miss with me. I think this will help a lot, so thank you. :)

6. Cosmo says:

I just cut my bangs in a side swept style!
    I really love the way it looks like, but it’s too big.
    I think I will fix that like Yui Hasegawa when I get my new haircolor!

Thank You for your tutorial!!

7. Jessica B says:

AH! I love it! Thank you so much for doing this. I will really use this :D

8. Pauline says:

LOVE this! I’m always interested to see how each gal styles her bangs. Great tutorial, thanks! Also – your nails look FAB!

9. yuri says:

oh wow, THAT was, what i always was looking for, and askin evrybody!
    perfect! thanks so much :peer:

btw, i have a question about the sidesweep style bangs (like in the 4.th model pic)
    do you just use hairspray to get them fixed on the side?
    and:
    is it also possible to get a layered haircut, bangs cut diagonal (i hope thats the right word for it?)
    so that u dont have to fix the hair and its naturally sideswept ???
    coz hairspray usually always makes my hair look disgusting :( (plus im not that good in hairstyling)

• Mitsu says:

I think when you get them diagonally cut, it can look more scene and not as much gal. To sidesweep your bangs without hairspray just dry them to the side and straighten them to that side. Sure the wind might blow them around, but other than wind they should stay where you leave them :wink:

10. bloomzy says:

Great tutorial. It’s a good idea to analyse the different kind of bangs, coz most people think there’s only one kind haha :mrgreen:
    I think I have Momoeri bangs, haha XD

Your idea on the ‘wwtt’ post makes sense.
    Maybe I could do a commentary on your items, and you on mine?!
    I’ll keep looking in the mean time :)

• Mitsu says:

Yay for Momoeri bangs :sparkle2: That’s my normal bang style without Romihi’s silly influence. Should we both commentate on all the items like

m says:
      b says:

and maybe a disclaimer at top like “you may like these items, that’s okay if 109 was just made with two people’s fashion opinions it’d be pretty boring” or something to that nature :cheery:

• bloomzy says:

Actually yeah that sounds better.
        I was looking during class today and found quite a few pieces, although the girl sitting next to me probably thinks I have terrible taste now lol

I’ll mail you the new items tomorrow :note:

11. Sami says:

I love your new hair colour :idea:
    Does your hair blow naturally that way or do you use the round brush?
    I’d love a bob tutorial, mine is so flat since it was thinned/layered it’s sad :cry:

• Mitsu says:

Oh no not at all. My hair has a natural wave to it, so I must blowdry + roundbrush to keep it straight and full. I bet you have a perfect bob lurking behind all those layers. :)

12. miu says:

wahh this is exactly what i was looking for! i didn’t think to use a round brush and velcro roller to curl my bangs, thanks for the tips!

also, your hair is really great, i love the colour and it’s so shiny :D

<333

13. Rii says:

I LOVE it!
    My favourites are the heavy slightly sideswept long bang and the natural sideswept :)
    I would like to style my hair like the one from Kumikki sometimes but I can’t carry it off :/

• Mitsu says:

LOL yes, damn that girl and her many skills. I think that way about many things she does (make-up, gangsta one roll-up pantleg etc…). :love:

14. milkpea says:

I think this tutorial is great. I like how you use both a model pic and a pic yourself which gives a ‘real person’ touch. The instructions are really clear too and I found it easy to follow. I also learnt something that has improved my look which is great. I wear a lot of hats but never used the side bangs and found they got flattened into my eyes instead so now I know what to do to stop it : )

• Mitsu says:

lol I felt a little bit awkward putting me next to a model, cus I’m not a model just a normal gal but I felt there was no getting around it :icon_eek: Happy to help :-D

15. criztinita says:

I enjoyed this update! Hair is one of the most important things for gyaru! It is incredible to see how many ways there are of bangs and how to do it!

I’m glad you liked my blog, your opinion is very important to me! I think it’s great to exchange links, I’ve already put you in my favs blogs section! that’s mine: http://www.criztinita.blogspot.com

Thank you very much, I hope your new update! :rila:

16. judy~ says:

i think the tutorial was cute and helpful with all the pictures and explanations :cheery:
    i have momoeri’s bangs :mrgreen:
    and the drying bangs with a roller is a really good idea~! i should go get one :rila:

btw i have a question~ how come you don’t see many gyarus with black and/or straight hair?? well i saw a few with brown/blonde straight hair in popteen (but they only did it for a few pictures) ^^” i was always wondering that~ :?:

thanks so much for the tutorial~! i started off my day reading it hehe :)

• Mitsu says:

You see a lot of girls with straight hair. It’s pretty common, especially if they work in the aesthetic industry (nails, exte, hairdying). The coloring, I think it has to do with many Japanese hating their natural color. Sometimes people call it the Japanese complex that people think smaller natural eyes and natural hair is not as attractive. It’s not just gals, I mean CanCam and Vivi and all the OL mags have girls with non-black hair. Although even those with black hair still straight-perm it. So everyone’s changing something :wink:

• judy~ says:

thanks for answering my question~! yah i got the new popteen today and saw more pics of straight hair, maybe i just skipped past those hairstyles before haha :^_^;;: and that’s true~ a lot of other magazines like vivi do have almost all models with brown/blonde hair haha… even i dislike my natural black hair color so i got it dyed too haha :wink: anyways thanks for clarifying ne~! :rila:

17. Suyin says:

Thankyou for this tutorial!

I could never figure ou how to get Popteen bangs before :^_^;;:

18. Chrissy says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial, it´s very useful!
    I´m getting a new haircut with bangs soon, so this gave me great suggestions for styling my hair <3

• Mitsu says:

Ooo I love the idea of new haircuts, they seem like a style and life changer. Hopefully you’ll enjoy your new cut :)

19. sugar-trick says:

Thank you so much for the tips! They were very useful – I followed your tips and tried them today with my bangs. :3

20. Lanna says:

LOVE this post!!I’ve been neglecting my bangs recently:O my hairdresser screwed them up too:(.When I used to have fuller bangs thou I’d use a roller when drying too,so useful!
    Your tutorials are great ,really easy to understand and your soo cute!!Will definitely be trying your tutorials:D

21. Violet says:

You did a really great job especially for your first tut! I have Momoeri’s blunt bangs and they can be a pain to get straight but totally worth it :D I find that I have to trim them quite often to keep from getting poked in the eyes. I really liked that you showed the different styles on you as well as the models and the cute little actions and drawings on the photos were awesome :D

• Mitsu says:

DOH I’m impressed you can trim your own bangs. I’m so horrible at that :^_^;;: Of course you are multi-talented I should’ve expected it :hearts2: Thanks for the lovely words it makes my day to hear them :note:

22. Colleen says:

wow! great tutorial! thanks for making it :)

Im so jealous of people with great bangs!
    Mine suck, i cut it side-swept but it never looks full and pretty and no matter how long i’ve had them they don’t want to stay, I’ve pretty much given up on them! :(

I’ve always been scared to get the full-on across the forehead bangs because it might look silly on me :/

• Mitsu says:

LOL i was really frightened too when I first got straight bangs. Either way I hope you get more bang confidence :love:

23. i absolutely adore the popteen bang tutorial.. and it looks so cute on you ! i definitely have to try these when i have straight bangs, my bangs are a little long right now. btw awesome job on the tutorial overall, easy to read & great photo examples – especially with your own pictures for a personal look!

• Mitsu says:

LOL i felt so weird doing it. It’s so not my style, but it was fun to pretend yanno? Get a little out of my comfort zone, but not too much :o

Thanks sweetie, I really appreciate you, I hope you know that :love: