Character Goods x Gal Brands

Character x gal brands are huge!! It used to not be that way until a sassy kitten named Hello Kitty decided to cuddle up with JSG and Delyle. Then poof Mickey, Betty Boop, Marvel characters, Snoopy, Usavich’s Rabbits and it’s blown up!

W*C decided to make its own mascot and you know how well that is doing (in case you don’t, it’s HUUUUUUGE!). :sparkle2: I am wondering if other brands will try to make their own in the future.

So far the brands involved with character goods are: w*c, ReDark, Vence, Spiral Girl, Lip Service, Glad News, JSG, Delyle, Ruvap, Moussy, LDS, LB-03, Love Boat, Liz Lisa Doll and Miia. :star2:

Let’s take a look at the character pieces happening for Spring!

JSG x Hello Kitty

Spring’s newest JSG parkas done as a collaboration of JSG, Popteen and Hello Kitty. Very hade.

Since I don’t talk about JSG a lot, I thought I’d discuss JSG while it’s a topic.

:star2:  JSG history and current state:

JSG stands for Japanese Super Girl, it started out in 2006 as being produced and designed by Kaoru Watanabe of late Egg magazine fame. Whether she still has creative control is unclear, but JSG continues to have a strong following with teenagers. It’s under the Credge brand which controls Lip Service, Valentine’s High, Minirdees, and men’s brand LaGust. JSG is going strong with 2 new branch openings this Spring in Shinsaibashi OPA (Osaka) and Kawaramachi OPA (Kyoto).

If you’re missing Kaoru, she’s recently begun to blog again about new mama-hood on her ameblog she continues to stay in the top 250 bloggers in the rankings despite being out of magazines. :sparkle2: Go Kaoru, go!

Delyle x Hello Kitty

While I love their last year’s designs more (parka and t-shirt here), I still think they did a cute job and the logo on that dress is adorable. Everything is sold out for Delyle, so fast :!:

Glad News x Mickey

I’m a bit shocked that Glad News got to do a Mickey collab since they’ve been doing a skull + Mickey ear print that seems stepping on Disney’s toes. Luckily Disney still agreed to do a collab and I really love the results!

I know some of you may be seeing this and thinking meh, it’s nothing special. But I really love the old-fashioned take on Mickey. Also Glad News’ take on the classic Chanel round bag is completely rock-kei and updated with studs and the Mickey print.

I bought the center 2 shirt set in off white and I’m really impressed by the print.

Look how thick the printing is and the 3-d affect of the circles and the below print shadows. It reminds me of classic animation techniques. I love this :sparkle2:

I also bought the denim shirt, but mine was their rare release with black lace on the back and top shoulders to create a western look. I’ll post about once I get it. :wink:  I figured once I got bored of denim shirts and lace I’d still love it because I love Mickey :sparkle2:

Miia x Mickey

Miia is barely a month old yet it’s secured a collaboration with Disney. Go, go Miia!

Both stoles are sold out but the light print bolero is still available. Love the cute Miia x Disney plush collab, too. Great collabs to go with their pop gal style :stars:

Spiral Girl x Snoopy

Popteen lists Snoopy Collabs as #10 in their top 10 Popular Shop Trends :sparkle2:

The prints by Spiral Girl.

Both shirts come with the center Snoopy. Sigh I hate saying this because I do love Spiral Girl and I’ve bought some pieces from their Spring collection, but these prints are a snore. I think this may be the case of buying the t-shirt so you can get the cute Snoopy plushie that comes along with it. -_-

Liz Lisa Doll x Usavich

Some of you may be going wtf is Usavich. It’s a deranged cartoon about Russian rabbits in prison and breaking out on MTV Japan (more about it on the wiki page here). I love it because it’s Russian influenced and I love Russian things :hearts2: It’s region locked on its English website, STUPID!

The main characters: Kirenenko & Putin

Love this print! It has a very cool movie poster feel and the baseball tee idea was a good casual touch.

Crazy print parka that reminds me a bit of Cocolulu

This one is quite creepy for me. Even though the eyes are placed high I think it’s just very hard to wear a large face shirt without doing the whole eyes = boobs, nose = belly button, mouth = ladybits. :!:

Look at one of the staff-chans wearing the shirt. Freakin’ cute!

Lip Service x Betty Boop

While JSG does hade gal, Delyle sticks to sweet-kei, Glad News does rock-kei, and Liz Lisa Doll did pop gal, where’s the Agejo love? Well Lip Service did a tiny collab last fall with Betty Boop.

Originally posted with the Lip Service Winter Catalog

So far this is the only Agejo x chara collab. I bought since I felt it was quite cute while still being Agejo and mature :love: I hope Ma*rs chooses to do something in the future, but for now all we have is creepy bear pouches :-S

You can Chara your look!

This is another easy way to mix pop gal into your look. Character t-shirts aren’t all done by gal stores. There’s over 2,000 listings for Mickey Mouse under women’s clothing on eBay right now! Most are under $10.00. The same goes for Hello Kitty! Following gal trends doesn’t have to be expensive!

These can all be paired with the pannier skirts (the fluffy ones) or boyfriend jeans rolled up. Stick on a scarf bow, wear heels and poof! :wink:

1. March 29, 2010 / 3:07 pm

I love this trend! I may have to go and find some cute Hello Kitty items now. I really want some Carebear items too, I think they might work with Sweet kei or the Shibuhara look.

March 30, 2010 / 10:14 pm

It’d be adorable if they did a Carebear trend. One of my nailists was in love with them, she had so much CB stuff on her desk :oops:

2. March 29, 2010 / 3:15 pm

I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVE the Usavich stuff! I don’t know what it is about them, it’s probably because they are Russian rabbits, but I just love them. And I totally agreed with the Spiral Girl x Snoopy stuff. Snooooorefest.

March 30, 2010 / 10:14 pm

I agree, it’s like they look stupid/silly so it’s great hehehe :roll:

3. March 29, 2010 / 3:43 pm

Must… buy… Hello Kitty themed clothing… :O~~~~
    But sorry I can’t stand Snoopy! I don’t know why hahaha :roll:
    I love this trend!

March 30, 2010 / 10:15 pm

Snoopy paired up with brands for its 60th anniversary, probably the 61th won’t be so special. I don’t expect him to last :panda:

4. March 29, 2010 / 5:24 pm

I really like the JSG, GLAD NEWS, & Liz Lisa Doll collabos :hearts2:
    I loved the winter Lip Service x Betty Boop one too though~ you were able to snag a piece? *jealous!* lol

March 30, 2010 / 10:16 pm

Yesh! I bought the black one :o I loved that collab so much. I hope they do more :wink:

5. Dolly
    March 29, 2010 / 5:58 pm

My favorite is the glad news x mickey! I really love their take on it. <3
    & thanks for introducing Usavich to me, the character is so cool!! XD

March 30, 2010 / 10:16 pm

Happy to do so, they are fun :-D

6. March 29, 2010 / 6:28 pm

i love this post a lot! well obviously because i loved cute characters way before i could even wear them on clothes! ;D im glad that gal brands are incorporating them into their clothes / accessories! interesting facts about jsg too! i didn’t know kaoru helped start it! i love her.. thanks for sharing her link :D im glad that she’s starting to blog again..

i love that glad news classic mickey look too :) it reminds me of the old animation techniques which i also appreciate! I absolutely love disney!

usavich sounds like a cool cartoon.. haha . never heard of them before, so thanks for sharing..

and i actually like that creepy bear character by mars ;D

March 30, 2010 / 10:18 pm

I’m really happy she’s being more involved on-line, too. I loved her unique style (not on me), but I felt she brought a real change to gal that’s missing -_-

It seems you’re not the only one about Mars since one is already sold out :oops:

7. Maha
    March 29, 2010 / 7:24 pm

I actually don’t like this so much. I bought some of the potentially infringing GLAD NEWS tees because they looked cool; it was as if Mickey had been eaten by rock-kei and looked and felt a little
    more edgy. These designs are traditional Disney looking, cute, and boring. Not what I want out of rock-kei.

The JSG and Delyle collabs are all right because Kitty-chan actually works with the style. Snoopy bores me and Usavich doesn’t sound cute at all but is paired with the cute Liz Lisa Doll?

It smacks of pairing up only to sell goods, rather than actually incorporating the character into the brand’s style.

March 30, 2010 / 10:23 pm

I can see that. I have several types of the skull and mad-Mickey GN tees as well. However, they have shown they can work with a brand to go in a pop-kei way and not just rock-kei. Their previous collab with Marvel was a bit similar (my superman tee is here http://universal-doll.com/2009/05/109-shopping-trip-store-update/)

With the current state of anti rock-kei the brands have to change to make money. I can agree with that, although I will admit some of the floral prints at Gilfy seem way out of place. -_- I mean magazines are barely using the term rock anymore it’s been replaced with “military” :depressed:

Liz Lisa Doll confounds me, but honestly this is the first thing I’ve liked from them. I didn’t feel they had a style direction in the past so confined to a brand at least they put together some pieces that are sellable. It is an odd collab. Usavich x Glad News would’ve been a much better fit :wink:

8. Pink❤Canary
    March 29, 2010 / 8:08 pm

I wanted the mickey jean cardigan but it’s SO :’C As I’m into animation and art, of course I looove mixing animated characters with gal style<3 I also want some of the LIZ LISA x Usavich and of course Lip Service and Betty Boop! Those outfits are just too cute<3

I think you've inspured me to get some sort of mickey scarf or something *o*;;

March 30, 2010 / 10:24 pm

hehehe Cartoon yourself with love. Yeah Chara x gal goods tend to sell out so fast 8)

9. March 29, 2010 / 8:20 pm

want mickey denim ( i saw the black lace one you bought last week in shibuya 109) and usavich white tshirt ><

March 30, 2010 / 10:24 pm

Those were two of my top picks as well :wink:

10. March 29, 2010 / 9:19 pm

I like the Glad News and Spiral girl collabs best!

Am I the only one who thinks its strange that Liz Lisa did a collab with Usavich? I don’t think of those two being similar in anyway haha!

March 30, 2010 / 10:25 pm

At least it’s Liz Lisa Doll, but I agree total weirdness. I do wonder who exactly makes these choices :oops:

11. March 29, 2010 / 9:48 pm

the mickey shirt reminds me of the things i used to make as a kid with an iron!

neat-o…f21 here I come!

March 30, 2010 / 10:25 pm

exactly, easily doable! Go get some chara girly :wink:

12. March 29, 2010 / 10:50 pm

every time i see a piece of clothing with mickey or kitty on it, i have to resist the urge to buy it :roll:
    and it’s all the fault of these colabs!!

March 30, 2010 / 10:26 pm

I agree. Why must they draw us in with cute? :oops:

13. March 30, 2010 / 12:10 am

Wow I really love the ones from delyle! look really cute! :korila:
    And I’m still searching for a skirt like she’s wearing on the one pic from delyle :cry:

March 30, 2010 / 10:27 pm

You haven’t found one yet? Their on Delyle’s website, always. I love that they actually keep them up through the seasons :-D

14. March 30, 2010 / 5:14 am

I’m not a massive fan of characters on t-shirts, but I do love the Delyle x Hello Kitty collabs, as my user icon proves haha :oops:

I also quite like the Mickey stole, it’s fun and simple but I probably wouldn’t wear it.
    lmao I thought exactly the same thing as you when I first saw that Usavich x Liz Lisa Doll t-shirt :x

GAH WTF is that MA*RS pouch?! :?:

March 30, 2010 / 10:28 pm

lol we share the same dorky mind

Yeah it creeps me out. Especially since the gold button ears were on my beloved Mars jacket and it feels weird like I was wearing the earholes of some exotic bear hehehee :o I’m dumb :roll:

15. Suteisi
    March 30, 2010 / 6:01 am

I loooooveee the JSG hoodies/parkas!!! :mrgreen: :hearts2:

When I was in Tokyo, I bought a Hello Kitty hoodie in Shibuya 109. I can’t remember which store it was, but I did keep the bag! I’ll have to look it up!!

Does JSG have a website? I’d love to see if I could buy any of their Hello Kitty theme stuff!!~

16. Misa
    March 30, 2010 / 7:49 am

I’ve been addicted to Hello Kitty goods since My mom bought me a hello kitty purse for my 6th birthday. So I’m happy that I can incorporate it into my gal clothes. :cat:
    I agree with the snoopy prints being boring.

March 30, 2010 / 10:30 pm

hehehe your mom taught you right :cat: I love Kitty-chan too :note:

17. March 30, 2010 / 8:22 am

I’m loving the white/patterend JSG parka! It’s lovely :idea:

18. March 30, 2010 / 2:33 pm

I love the JSG/Miia clothes! Too bad I haven’t seen too many Hello Kitty/Disney clothing over here. Glad I’ve completely forgotten about ebay so I can check out what they have there :3.

19. March 30, 2010 / 3:09 pm

Amazing post! Everything with Mickey is just amazing!!

20. March 30, 2010 / 4:44 pm

i just loveee the jsg x hello kitty thanks to you cupcake, I know better the gals brands!! how much it cost the hello kitty hoodie for jsg? where can i buy it?

21. lucieliu
    March 30, 2010 / 6:19 pm

i bought a really adorable kitty long sleeved top from rose fan fan which is part of the collaboration with nozomi tsuji (sp) and hello kitty…its so cute!! it has a little lace halter tie and everything lol but il post a photo when i get back to a pc which is actually from this century la

22. March 30, 2010 / 7:01 pm

it’s a great trend in my opinion, since I really like prints in my cloths, though I’m still heavily attached to my Bohemian gyaru lol <3

23. April 3, 2010 / 2:21 am

I like collaborations between well-known characters and clothing lines in theory, not too many have done too well though. These lines did better than average but the hello kitty looks very cluttered and the black and white color scheme isn’t reflective of hk at all. Ty for posting though, it was interesting to look at.

24. dianne
    October 13, 2010 / 11:34 am

hi where may i buy the hello kitty collaboration? :(

25. April 9, 2013 / 10:11 pm

Would be great to understand where My wife and i are able obtain it.