Gatto Rosso, Mongrelly, Jewels Prom and MarpleQ – New brands in 109 “stage”

While I’ve discussed Minirdees and MiiA coming to 109, there are 6 other new brands heading to 109 this Spring. Today I’ll introduce the stage brands and tomorrow are the two big girls coming to play: Emoda and Gimlet :stars:

First there are the 4 brands that won the 109 Stage contest. I mentioned the 109 Stage contest back in the English Guide with Gilfy winning the first back in 2004. Golds Infinity apparently won the second. Win the contest and poof! You’ve got a strong 109 store :cheery:

From April’s Popteen: Sweet-kei MinPlume had a renewal and moved from the 8th to the 5th floor. MiiA, MinPlume, Minirdees, Gatto Rosso, MarpleQ and Mongrelly are all offering novelty bags to shoppers (probably those who spend over 10,000 yen around $115).

Now there are four new brands coming into 109 via this route and they’ll all be on the 8th floor (with MinPlume, MiiA and w*c). They are: Gatto Rosso, Mongrelly, MarpleQ, and Jewels Prom. Each has a completely different style, so check them all out and make your vote on who stays :up:

How 109 8th floor has changed. No Buzz Spunky, no Ascent Gem. It’s an all new 8th floor. :stars:

Gatto Rosso

Gatto Rosso details:
katakana: ガットロッソ
website: none yet but clothes available through 109 webstore
number of stores: 1
shop concept: Half Italian Half American blend aimed towards girls who want to look adult yet cute.

According to Japantoday this is how they promoted the brand. I’m inclined to think it’s a group of colorblind cosplayers of The Blue Man group met up with women really loving the Spicy Red color from the March issue of Popteen. :twisted:

Its apparent storefront (although that seems quite big to fit in 109 8th floor). via

Yawn, I’m bored. I like the jukebox print, but meh…. the only item that’s sold out is their ripoff of the H&M patch jeans. :evil:

So as Jay-Z says On to the Next One

Mongrelly

Mongrelly details:
katakana: モングレリー
website: http://test.neo-universe.co.jp/mongrelly/index.html
number of stores: 1
shop concept: A mongrel of sorts mixed from 80s pop culture of music and movies blended with Japanimation.
seasons concept: “80s Pop and Rock Hills Casual” A woman who is surrounded by music and either a student or worker who loves going to music events. Style patterns in animal, ethnic, dot and flower.

I’m not impressed by their only 3 looks on the website. The star onesie I’d be tempted by since I like stars, but the 80s theme was very last summer so it doesn’t feel new or crisp. They did say their brand was meant for 18-27 year olds which I found great. Even Lip Service says its items are more for 18-23, when really most of the Lip Service clientele start at 23 and go up. So I appreciate their honesty and want to reach the 24+ market that is still shopping at 109. :wink:

and for a bit of a change… :stars:

Jewel’s Prom

Jewels Prom details:
katakana: ガットロッソ
website: http://m.jewels-prom.com/top.html
webstore: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/jewels-shop/
number of stores: 1
shop concept: Manhattan high-class beauty socialite teen style. This is portrayed by a dress style, the women who wear these dresses are jewels because they shine. (Prom is explained as being an American and Canadian thing).
season’s concept: A woman who feels confident in sexy, celebrity style. Perfect for weddings or special evenets.

It looks to be mostly hostess dresses with a few special occasion ones thrown in. The brand itself unlike the other 3 isn’t new. Apparently they’ve had a successful webstore for a while, but 109 is their first brick-and-mortar store. They’ve been smart and spent money to get Rin, Momoeri and other AgeHa models to pose for them. Although I wonder how many hostesses will want to brave the kogal highschool crowd that fills out the 8th floor, not to mention they have several shops in Shinjuku Alta already for this. Let’s hope their webstore smarts keep them around, at least they’re something different for 109. :sparkle2:

our final contestant :note:

MarpleQ

MarpleQ details:
katakana: マープル キュー
website: none yet but items available through the 109 webstore
number of stores: 1
shop concept: American Casual brand style that’s made for being under the sun. Cap and cute pin accessories as well as suitable wigs.
season’s concept: A sunbaked cheerful style. A Shibuya gal. ☆

A sunny space, fun Amekaji space.

Which is much better than their submitted concept art.

Oh dear that make-up is tragic, and that askew wig belongs on a cheap hooker mugshot. I’m going to ignore the Evisu and Cocolulu copycatting :cat: , okay I won’t. It’s quite blatant, but they seem like a fun brand and their looks outside of their “inspired” ones seem their best so… meh-ish? They’re trying to reach out to 14-21 year olds, which is a good age range (same as co&lu).

Cast your vote

So we have an 80s-kei brand in Mongrelly, a confused half-Italian brand in Gatto Rosso, a kyaba-jo (hostess) style brand in Jewel’s Prom and an Amekaji brand in MarpleQ.

It’s up to you, say who should stay in 109 and who should go? Who would you purchase from (if any)? :arrow:

1. nav
    March 7, 2010 / 6:43 pm

none of them seem even close to as good as existing gal brands…but out of the bunch…so far, i’d say mongrelly’s looks the best

March 7, 2010 / 7:04 pm

Exactly!! You gotta step it up to play the big girls of Gilfy, Egoist, Cecil McBee and the rest… and this is what they bring :oops:

2. March 7, 2010 / 6:46 pm

oh dear.. i don’t think i like any of them. the marketing concept for gatto rosso is really hilarious though. its always interesting to see how japanese people promote their brands. if i had to choose i think it would be mongrelly.. but only because of that star printed top paired with the (pink? purple?) tights / leggings coordinate

March 7, 2010 / 7:05 pm

Yeah I am sure one of the designers went to Italy on vacay and thought, yeah… Red Cat insanity let’s do it :-S But they’re all flash and no design substance :mad:

3. March 7, 2010 / 6:50 pm

Oh, this is a bit sad, nothing really stands out to me. Maybe they just need more time to get more items into their shops?

That ribbon dress from Jewel’s Prom almost literally scared me :^_^;;:

Mongrelly looks the best to me, but as you said, the three looks they have are not that unique. It’s too bad 80s was last summer, because as an 80s lover I ain’t never gonna let it die :evil: :hearts3: Haha

March 7, 2010 / 7:03 pm

hahaha I’m with you. I’m like urghhhh I just blogged about 4 new 109 brands. That word combination should send me into squeals of happiness, but I’m kinda like. Meh… whatever. Let’s hope all four step up their game, and Jewel’s Prom doesn’t step on their bow dress during the race. I agree, it’s like 5 bows to many :^_^;;:

4. Lains
    March 7, 2010 / 7:06 pm

None of these are really screaming at me to stay. Only because it all seems like stuff I’ve seen before — nothing really jumping out at me. TBH, I see myself wearing some of the stuff from Gatto Rosso, but again — I think it’s kind of because I already own similar things.

5. March 7, 2010 / 8:08 pm

Nothing really special! I liked the marketing technique of gatto rosso but that is mainly because it was quite ridiculous! So far, none of them seem to have anything substantial about their brand that pulls me to it. I`d stick with the other stores in 109 but maybe they will come into their own in time… :/

6. March 7, 2010 / 9:05 pm

Meh I’m not seeing anything that jumps at me, I mean some of the Jewel’s Prom stuff seems like I would like it (the non-hostess items) but there are so many other shops that do it better. So unless they came out with something earth shatteringly awesome I’d probably give it a miss. I don’t really think any of them are stand outs.

7. March 7, 2010 / 9:34 pm

Yeah, to be honest, none of them are really my taste, and they don’t seem like they will be big hitters, especially in 109, where they have to compete with all the really popular brands. But if I had to pick, I think I would choose Mongrelly. It’s the only one that some what sparks my interest.

8. March 7, 2010 / 11:14 pm

i don’t like any of them that much >”< i think the existing brands have better stuff but then agian these are just the first of their stuff huh??

9. March 8, 2010 / 1:47 am

As everyone else is saying, nothing really jumps out at me but I think Mongrelly is a potential good’un. The brand concept is rather original, and I could see some interesting stuff being produced out of that..

10. March 8, 2010 / 2:21 am

Wow non of them are really that awe inspiring are they?!

I’m waiting for all the Gimlet hype haha. I’ve been following it’s progrss on Hiromi’s blog coz I’m still a fangirl at heart. I was thinking of doing a post on Gimlet but since you are I’ll probably do one on Hiromi.

11. March 8, 2010 / 3:21 am

Wooooah cool!
    I’m really looking forward to checking out the new shops in Summer! just awesome! *__*

I don’t really like the clothing from Gatto Rosso, a little bit too normal for my taste ^^;

I like the ones from Mongrelly and especially from jewels Prom! That one’s great!♥ luv it!

The last one remembers me of CO&LU :3
    So I think that one will last fine

Now I’m even more impatient than before >.< I want to go to Tokyo RIGHT NOW ;__; buhuu

When are you going the next time? :3

12. March 8, 2010 / 3:47 am

I don’t like any of the stores! I’m just excited with Gimlet because i’m a fanatic about hiromi endo, but about the rest of the new brands at 109 I think they don’t do something new or special! :'(

13. March 8, 2010 / 4:36 am

hello : D new here.
    I don’t find anything that says BOOM right there I want those, but the idea of Mongrelly is good even though the styles seem a bit limited.

14. March 8, 2010 / 4:40 am

Definatly MarpleQ!

15. March 8, 2010 / 6:09 am

I love Jewel’s Prom! :hearts:
    Even if somethings of them are very over-the-top, I love the socialite and high-society thing :arrow:
    That model of Ageha, the first one, she scares me, I don’t know why :cry:

16. March 8, 2010 / 6:33 am

I just wanna ask… WHYYY :cry:
    Every piece already exists in another & much better brand! Disappointing -_-

17. Lindsey
    March 8, 2010 / 9:54 am

To be honest… I don’t think any of them should stick around, as mentioned they seem to me to be rather bland, I don’t see anything really new or eye catching… but maybe with time Marple Q will get better, but if I had to pick on at the moment I would go with Jewel’s Prom

Though I’m pretty meh, for all of them.

18. March 8, 2010 / 11:37 am

im liking Gatto Rosso and a little of what I see from Mongrelly~ but id like Gatto Rosso to definitely get in there!

19. March 8, 2010 / 12:13 pm

I agree, I’m not too crazy about any of these brands, but Gatto Rosso and Mongrelly have a couple of cute pieces.

I hate to say it, but Jewel’s Prom looks like a bunch of tacky prom dresses to me. (Based on the description I was hoping for the kind of fashion you might see on Gossip Girl, but no, I guess not, lol.) And like you said, Marple Q just looks like a Cocolulu copycat.

Personally, I’m excited for EMODA. Ena Matsumoto is just so pretty and stylish!

20. ai
    March 8, 2010 / 6:43 pm

I guess I’d go with Gatto Rosso if I had to chose. I think they’re gradation shirt and scarf is interesting! :clef:

• ai
      March 8, 2010 / 6:49 pm

*cardigan lol (not scarf)

21. March 9, 2010 / 6:23 pm

they all seem kinda blah!

22. March 10, 2010 / 2:22 pm

Not really feeling them:(,I like a few peices from Mongrelly and Gatto rosso,their promo is amusing.

23. Cecilia
    March 12, 2010 / 10:33 pm

They need to go die in a fire. They are all amateurish.