Nail Trends Round Up

So hopefully everyone who reads this blog is clear on the prevailing trends of the season. The issue is how to transfer those trends onto such a small surface such as nails. A cowboy hat doesn’t easily work out in 3-d, and you can’t really make cancan hats your nail theme (well you could, but…).

But there have been some good trends showing up in nails and many are extremely easy for the novice nailist.

I keep seeing you guys on your blogs showing your coordinates, but I’ve been witnessing a nail lack as of late. With the exception of blooomzy’s lovely Minnie nails and Violet LeBeaux’s crafty princess hands, which are both fabulous.

netizen translation: MOAR NAILZ PUREEZ! :wink:

Unlike old gal habits of extreme hair bleaching and tanning which have lessened, nails are still popular! The great thing about nail trends is you don’t need to have much skill to put on a coat of popular polish. The fabulous part of going with nails is you’re extending your gal look even further when you choose to stick with nail trends.

Ethnic

Ethnic nails are the answer to those trying out a western style or going with floral prints. They showcase texture and color instead of hard lines or noticeable design. SCawaii March issue features 2 beautiful sets.

Close-up of the process.

They painted the nail a lovely eggshell turquoise (a bit of a Tiffany Blue :wink: ) and then used a sponge to apply gold paint.

This is such a great style to try at home for novice nailists! I promise you this will be seen on my hands before summer is out. :waves:

I can’t say I’m really feeling these nails because the technique looks a bit too simple to be true. I’d love to see this tried and if it was successful :!:

Vibrant & Nude Nails

The June Jelly has 6 pages of nails and the main trends they’re showing are the rise of nude nails and also vibrant color nails.

Nude fits a western and floral choice. Vibrant suits celeb, Agejo, and mode styles.

As Jelly says Spring Nails are “Nude” or “Vivid”.

Vibrant Colors featuring several fruity colors look cute with a red bandana on Naomi Arai

Nude (or Nudey in Katakana-ism) looks beautiful with the mori-style gold jewelry Mana Honda is wearing

The next three pages show how to match your current trend favorite to your nails

Bohemian Style done in Nude and Vivid. It’s nice to see the black & floral mix.

How to work Marine on both. The cheap gold beads are easy to shape into an anchor. Great for a novice nailist :stars:

Retro French using different colors is also trending in Popteen May issue.

How Jelly actually intends on separating Ethnic and Bohemian is their game to play. :roll:  However, my guess is Ethnic nails are just too much a boom and it’s best to show more. I really love the Jewel mix of both styles :upheart:

Jelly advertises how to get simple gel nails for around 5,000 yen (appox. $52.00). Gel nails are often the trend for older gals (like Jelly readers) who are actually working and need simple yet stylish nails.

Popteen Agrees

I applaud Popteen for having a nail section in each issue :wink: However, it’s mainly used to showcase pro salons instead of giving tips or showing simple DIY versions like Jelly did.

Although many gals choose salons based on this information and request the exact same nails. :stars: Nail salons have books of previous nail art (especially if models got them) showing off their nails. Many gals go into salons and request the same nails their favorite models did.

Originality is left up to the nailists -_-

May issue of Popteen shows Kira Kira Heavy Nails that are ones with parts and other designs on them. If you need nail parts for yourself check out etsy sellers and dekoden.jp which ships internationally.

The May issue also shows Color-on-color French Nails. While their designs are pretty intricate. Choosing to do random color french is definitely a job that can be done at home :stepup:

If you haven’t gotten the memo in the clothing stores or fashion magazines Popteen June issue announces yet again Marine is Back! Yet again cute Marine Nails are flooding the nail market. I regret not getting any Marine nails last year, maybe some this year for me :korila:

Tip: Painter’s Tape found at any hardware store when cut into strips makes great simple stripe boundaries.

Fabulous styles done with bold turquoise accents make me drool all over these Ethnic nails!

Over at artbeads.com there’s tons of turquoise beads and cabochons to help you create your new ethnic nails. Like this and this

I’m really loving all the nail styles this season. So many options and I like the simple to intricate choices you can make depending on mood or style.

I also want to see more photos NAILS NAILS NAILS! I might have to hold a contest with giveaway for the best in season nails. It’s really tempting. I guess once I work on prizes it’ll be set-up :hearts3:

1. May 15, 2010 / 6:44 pm

I really liked JELLY’s nail section because, like you pointed out, it gives some pretty easy DIY tips~ I can deal with just painting my nails & adding simple accents, haha! :love:
    I was also glad to see OPI featured~ love love that brand! :hearts:
    & yes, marine is back! lol

May 16, 2010 / 6:06 pm

I can’t believe OPI was featured tho’. It only seems to be at Tokyu Hands in Tokyo and it’s hella overpriced. Like Chanel polish prices :x I love OPI, but oh hell no will I buy it in Japan. Pooh on American companies overpricing their goods overseas :mad:

Jelly is love :-D

2. May 15, 2010 / 6:51 pm

i <3 nail art!! thank you so much for this entry~

I have a new job: no more working around food! I can now grow my nails and have nail art again! yay!

May 16, 2010 / 6:07 pm

Fabulous! I’m loving your ideas :-D

3. May 15, 2010 / 7:51 pm

Whoaa, I super love ethnic nail designs!! So simple and so sweet!!

Thanks for this post!! I love nail art. :D

May 16, 2010 / 6:07 pm

I’m addicted to them right now, too. Those colors are so pretty :-D

4. May 15, 2010 / 8:27 pm

I LOVE the first turquoise nails!! Really I love all of them but those ones are especially amazing! But I’m probably biased because I adore turquoise <3 Thanks for this post, eye candy for sure!

May 16, 2010 / 6:08 pm

I have to say after the Mori Jewelry post and I this I am definitely a turquoise fan. Such pretty concepts they did with it :-D

5. May 15, 2010 / 8:48 pm

That’s what I call timing. :-D
    I’m doing my nails like RIGHT NOW and needed some inspiration! :)
    And once their done, I’ll put a picture of them on my blog! :wink:

May 16, 2010 / 6:08 pm

HAHAHHA I’m reading your mind! I can’t wait to see your results :wink:

May 16, 2010 / 6:09 pm

Nope. I was never really into doing the whole “wa” thing of yukata and hair ornaments. Rakuten worldwide for those would probably have them though. :-D

6. May 15, 2010 / 10:30 pm

NAILS! My faaavorite topic :D I can’t wait to get back into my nails as soon as I’m finished packing up all our stuff to move! I like the sets in Popteen the best I am loving all of the colourful trends too :D

May 16, 2010 / 6:09 pm

LOL Give me MOAR I need more Violet nail eyecandy :-D

7. May 16, 2010 / 1:43 am

I really like the nail designs you posted! :oops:
    Today I´ll do my nails to match a Marine outfit of mine- I´m not sure yet what to do exactly but your post gave me a lot of inspiration, so thanks for that! I might post some pictures on my blog later when I´m finished.

8. non
    May 16, 2010 / 3:25 am

ooh, i am totally loving on popteen’s french tip. i am definitely gonna have to try that!

May 16, 2010 / 6:10 pm

It’s gotten into my head, too. I’m just not such on which colors I’d like to match :-D

9. May 16, 2010 / 5:40 am

I like how JELLY always give tons of DIY tips (nails, shirts, etc). But I have to admit…I love Gel nails waaaaay more than I ever will my own DIY nails. They are just so smooth and last so long.

I am linking this post and your eyelash one on my weekly wrapup! Love your comprehensive posts of info!!

May 16, 2010 / 6:12 pm

Awwwh thank you! I’m addicted to your weekly wrap-up. You really search so many blogs with such different voices and concepts. I like discovering them all :-D

I’ll have to go to gel soon and I’ll miss acrylic crazyness, but I do like how soft and elegant they look :-D

10. May 16, 2010 / 5:55 am

Oh thank you for the mention :mrgreen:

I love the ethnic nails, especially the first set – WANT.
    I was sad to have my nails taken off, maybe I will try and find somewhere when I go back home for Summer. It’s ridiculous how Salons over here look at you as if you’re wasting their time when you ask for an intricate design. I think it puts a lot of people off, well that and some salons try to charge you high prices :x

May 16, 2010 / 6:13 pm

Yeah I’m so happy I’ve found someone who is not as pricey. Although I’ll admit I was paying sooo much in Japan, but I was so addicted :oops: It’ll be hard to say no once I’m back in Japan :-D

11. Cimone
    May 16, 2010 / 6:59 am

I absolutely love those first two ethnic sets– I think I’ll give the second set a go later this week when I have more time!

May 16, 2010 / 6:13 pm

Wow please let me know if it turns out. It looks a bit difficult, but I love the style :-D

12. May 16, 2010 / 7:16 am

The nude nails are beautiful, but I think nude nails looks great on women of all ages, so I want to wear the colorful ones while I am young enough to get away with it haha. The nails in Popteen are really my taste, they are all so cute^^

May 16, 2010 / 6:16 pm

I totally understand. I think the nude nail type is something I aspire to do. Like be elegant enough for that, but uhhhh my current feeling is mori and big and colorful and fun :-D

13. May 16, 2010 / 10:48 am

I really LOVE nailart :mrgreen: Thanks for this entry!

May 16, 2010 / 6:18 pm

Happy to deliver more nail candy :-D

14. May 16, 2010 / 10:50 am

Thanks for the nail update. I like doing my own so Jelly’s DIY section is really cool. I’m all over the sparkly cuteness that is the Popteen pages too though *_*

May 16, 2010 / 6:18 pm

LOL I feel a bit torn looking at both myself. It’s like I’d enjoy the sparkle, but the simple is really pretty especially the bright ones :-D

15. May 16, 2010 / 11:14 am

I can’t wear nails because I do martial arts, booooo! Well, I suppose I could just put them on when I need them, right? Do on-off reusable nails exist? I’m so clueless, haha. I should work on the eyelashes first!

May 16, 2010 / 11:29 am

Martial arts? How fun! One day I shall learn krav maga :oops:

In 109-2 at uhhhhhh the big accessories store (forgot the name of it, 2nd floor). I found some short sticky press-on nails that were cute and the sticky bits didn’t ruin your nails like glue did. They lasted 3 uses for me I think :wink:

16. Kat R.
    May 16, 2010 / 12:18 pm

Super inspiring! Even though I love the look of them, I don’t wear super long nails for reasons that you listed in your Gay Gyaru article. :mrgreen::mrgreen:Still, nails are a huge boom for me right now so I’m definitely going to be trying some of these. I love the vibrant nail trend the best. I’ve been buying armloads of bright polish and glitter lately.

May 16, 2010 / 6:19 pm

LOL I understand. I think short un 3d nails can still be fabulous. I’d love to see your results :-D

17. May 16, 2010 / 3:10 pm

Yay, nails, nails, nails! :note:
    Those ethnic styles caught my heart, I really wanna try them! But I’m working in an ice-cream parlour and I’m not allowed to wear my nails painted :cry:
    Anyway, I’ll wear them in my free day xD only once a week but… I keep buying tons of colours, stickers ans glitter, so I have to use them :roll:

May 16, 2010 / 6:20 pm

LOL what a great way to spend a day off! I’d love to see your results :-D

18. May 17, 2010 / 2:25 pm

naaaails~~ :korila:

honestly it’s so nice seeing some ‘wearable’ nails in comparison to model-nails that seem to be HUGE and EXTRAVAGANT :-S aka, not something i can wear when i need to be doing homework on the computer and such
    thanks for these, mitsu~ :hearts: i LOVE the ethnic/bohemian trend, especially the blueeee~ i need to go out and get some blue polish now!

19. May 18, 2010 / 12:41 am

Thanks for this great post! :up:
    I love the ethno trend and I’ll definitly try some of these (esp. the first one :hearts: ). I already did the floral pattern twice and tomorrow I might do something like in the Jelly scan.

20. May 18, 2010 / 1:44 pm

Gorgeous post,I love having pretty nails,unfortunately i’ve neglected mine recently and they just get painted(i do love nudes and brights thou:D)
    So this post is really inspiring:Dthank you for posting it.
    Love the jelly scans too,might have to try that sponging effect .

21. July 8, 2010 / 2:40 pm

Beautiful!!! very colorful and fun :)
    Thanks for post!