Trendwatching: Adult Tie-Dye & Pucci Print

Finally the tides are slowly changing away from the ultra girly Spring. Behind the loads of floral print, lace and cancan hats lies more adult trends. Mode is really surging this summer and with it tie dye. Adult is finding Pucci better than switching their style to little girl prints.

So my rule for trend spotting is

:sparkle2: see it once: it’s a fluke
:sparkle2: see it twice: it’s copycatting
:sparkle2: see it thrice: IT’S A TREND! :wink:

Tie Dye

My first exposure to tiedye this Spring was the WC onesie.

Super cute with a nice feminine neckline.

Then I saw this Days of Freedom one. Separated at birth anyone…? :roll:

Now this could just be copycatting, but when searching for more tie dye I ran into so much clothing.

This trend is rising for a few reasons: it goes with the natural ethnic trend, it’s bold for more adult looks, it’s a changeable print that suits hippie and mode items alike. :sparkle2:

Take Gimlet’s takes on TIE DYE to see it work with gyaru clothing.

A playful, bright onesie fits the simple Spring.

In rows tie dye creates a very Ethnic Gyaru look.

From other brands let’s check out ADULT MODE TIE DYE

Super sexy pheromone mode for Hoshiaya in Dilga adult Tie Dye :stepup:

A cool bleach denim look for Sly

Nuts Magazine favorite Ghost of Harlem with a bold take on tie dye.

Glad News uses great tailoring to make a resort style adult gyaru look

I’m in love with this dress. EMODA uses tie dye type print to create an adult mode pattern.

Let’s then look how TIE DYE does ETHNIC styles

Finally! LB-03 gives b-kei gyaru help with trends with this beautiful ethnic print maxi dress.

Brand new from Love Girls Market, a hippie gyaru tie dye.

Seems like TIE DYE and MAXI DRESS are a marriage made in chic heaven. :cheery:

Pucci Print

Now unlike tie dye which is a new trend in gyaru, Pucci print has been around along the sidelines of gal for quite sometime. There’s Pucci style deco, Pucci nails and definite Pucci print style clothing. Designer Emilio Pucci ‘s brand Pucci is known for its playful geometric prints that are especially popular as scarves, bikinis and cover-ups. Pucci scarf resale value is quite high in Japan and it was a coveted print last summer for Agejos.

Since I’m talking about an adult Agejo fronted fashion I’m bound to find it at Agejo stores: Lip Service, Me Jane, and more. :stars:

Me Jane‘s newest Pucci release. Quite lovely!

Sexy Agejo Maxi dress from Me Jane

Of course Lip Service‘s Maxi dress Pucci style from Golden Week

More Agejo Pucci from Lip Service. This seems very Momoeri to me. :cheery:

And even Pucci Print scarves from Lip Service

Emoda also takes on the Pucci trend with a sleek mini skirt.

And Duras goes with a Pucci paisley scarf.

I admit I feel I’ve hit that point where I might not buy anymore floral this season. Having Pucci and Tie Dye as an option make choosing new clothing a bit easier. These trends are great since both can be thrifted. Or, if you’d like to play a little High and Low style, see if you can score a Pucci scarf off eBay.

Don’t abandon hope on this season simply being girly or floral. I feel Mode will make a larger impact into Fall. I am also liking that these are both adult gyaru trends so they suit those left out of the typical summer fashion (i.e. Cocolulu the like).

I do hope this signals more of a return to resort wear. Soon Japan will get horribly hot and humid and around this time often more loose, sheer styles debut to combat the insidious heat. :sparkle:

1. May 19, 2010 / 11:53 pm

Love the pucci paisley scarf. Mos def looks like something one could find in a re-sale store.

May 21, 2010 / 6:46 pm

I hope you score something cute! It seems a good resale adventure :-D

2. May 20, 2010 / 12:50 am

I am with you on hoping for the resort wear return; with any luck I’ll be back in Tokyo for a few months at least in late August/September and I’m putting all my hopes of relief from the heat in maxi dresses and the like!!!

I’m gonna start branching out from denim and the general Romantic Cowboy look and try and find some good summer buys now ^^

May 21, 2010 / 6:48 pm

LOL especially in August. Worst month to be in Japan. It gets more rain than any other time, even the supposed rainy season. :oops: I wish you tons of luck :oops:

I think I’m leaving Romantic Cowboy behind because I want to find looks that will trend into fall. The cowboy thing I don’t think will last until August.

3. May 20, 2010 / 3:54 am

I love the Love Girls Market dress & the GIMLET stuff!! :hearts2:
    Haha, I’ve learned that maxi dresses are really comfortable and lately I’ve also been leaning towards wanting to try out ethnic/boho/hippie style for the summer (especially after seeing those nails on that post from the other day! The turquoise! to die for omg :up: )… so I appreciate the tie-dye haha! (any other osusume for ethnic?!)

I dunno how I feel about pucci but I do like it as the paisley scarf haha. :cheery:

May 21, 2010 / 6:50 pm

LOL yes those turquoise nails are still on my mind, too. :-D I love Maxi dresses, and how you can wear any type of heel or non-heel with them and they work well. :-D

4. May 20, 2010 / 6:20 am

I loooove pucci stuff, but tie-dye I’m still warming up too. I really like the Ghost of Harlem tie-dye. But I’m in loooooooove with that Me Jane maxi dress!!

May 21, 2010 / 6:50 pm

That Ghost of Harlem one sticks with me, too. I wonder if the pants are super comfy :-D

5. May 20, 2010 / 6:43 am

I think Gimlet really need to step up their game and hire a better team of photographers and post processing artists…

That said, Lip Service’s maxi dress is lahv!

May 21, 2010 / 6:51 pm

Gimlet needs to do a lot. I mean the same shoes for every catalog shot? Just a waste of shoe pairings. They could also use some location shots to spice it up. I want to like them, but I feel they’re falling behind EMODA and the like -_-

6. May 20, 2010 / 7:42 am

Both these patterns are really nice, and like you said it’s great to have more variety in the spring trends^^ I have mixed feelings about the tie dye. I think it’s really cute, but it also reminds me of the early 90s and the Grateful Dead. haha

I really like the Dilga and Ghost of Harlem tie dye dresses, and I am still a bit annoyed with myself for passing up that Lip Service GW maxi dress… :x

May 21, 2010 / 6:52 pm

LOL I think Maxi dresses would really suit you. :wink: I bought one recently from Yumetenbou and it was actually long on me. It’s crazy how that happens. It must swallow up the shorter ladies :-D

7. May 20, 2010 / 7:56 am

I LOVE the tie dye trend, i might try and even make a piece myself, since it’s not that hard. I think that dark tie dye would look really cute in a summer rock look. i have to say though, I don’t like Pucci prints! A lot of my “dressing up” clothes when I was young looked similar, and the prints just look too messy to me. Thanks for the trend update though!!

May 21, 2010 / 6:54 pm

It’s great you have a strong view of like and dislike. I think that really helps create strong fashion looks :-D

I’d love to see a DIY tiedye. I’d hate the clean-up, but it’d be fun to see the results. :up:

8. Kat R.
    May 20, 2010 / 8:41 am

The tie-dye and Pucci trends look so hot! :hearts: I have these black jeans that are super-faded and a bit torn and I was wondering what I should do with them. A tie-dye print like the ones from w<3c and Days of Freedom might be kind of cool.

Anyway, this is a great article! Talking about trends is always really helpful to budding gals like me, I think. Thanks!

May 21, 2010 / 6:55 pm

Ooooo bleaching does seem to be popular! I’d love to see your results. I bought two pairs of the same shorts, and I might have to get my bleach/damage on with one of the pairs :-D

9. May 20, 2010 / 9:42 am

Again I have to say how much I love your blog! Your posts are always so inspirational :wink:
    Although I´m really into the girly trend of this summer, the items you presented in this post are absolutely beautiful- I might want to get some soon :) I really like the short Gimlet tie dye dress and the Glad News long one- as you said, the Gimlet onepiece is very playful and about the Glad News dress I really love the cut and the detailed pleats! As for the Pucci print: I will definitely try to get my hands on some of these items as I´m owning a make-up set by Guerlain in collaboration with Pucci and thus I´ve already got a matching bag for a dress like this. I think the Pucci print looks very adult and cool when coordinated with black :sparkle:

May 21, 2010 / 6:57 pm

I really like that Glad News dress. I think sometimes they do certain items with such great and intricate tailoring that impresses me. I do have a little corner of my heart for GN :up:

OOoooo pucci for guerlain? Fancy fancy! I love real Pucci pieces but they’re so expensive -_-

10. May 20, 2010 / 9:46 am

Looooove both trends. And I’m glad some new ones are showing up. Too.much.denim.and.flower.print @_@ lol

May 21, 2010 / 6:57 pm

Exactly! I mean I know everyone is doing florals, but after seeing 20 floral dresses I just can’t get excited about them anymore. :icon_eek:

11. May 20, 2010 / 2:29 pm

Tie-dye was also very popular last year in Japan and everywhere :DD Saw tons of maxi dresses with tiedye pattern in Osaka :)
    Pucci print just screams age-jo to me and I think it`s too flashy to wear it as a onepiece (for me at least), I would have it as a silk scarf maybe?

Ah, I need to get some maxi dresses!!! 8D

Oh, and I find that Hoshiaya pose very unfortunate… xD sooo not ladylike, Aya! lol

12. May 20, 2010 / 9:52 pm

I love love the tie-dye trend! :hearts:
    I can’t say I’m swearing off buying floral items though because I’ve become entirely too smitten with them for this spring, but I really love how the tie-dye is not completely-60’s-hippie-your-parents-probably-wore-this, haha :love:
    I’m not sure how I feel yet about the Pucci print, though I love one of the tanks Lippy did with it~ so sexy! :hearts:

May 21, 2010 / 7:01 pm

I agree. I’m not done with being girly, but a change is nice. Or just options…yanno?

That Lip Service top is sooooo sexy! I love how they chose soft pastel colors without pink. It looks quite bold :-D

13. supakawaiigurl
    May 21, 2010 / 1:42 am

I absolutely adore pucci items and the style they have
    I’m so glad this trend has popped out in gyaru~! ^^

May 21, 2010 / 7:01 pm

Yes! Quite classy and a bit flashy :wink:

14. Nicolette
    May 21, 2010 / 6:35 am

Those onesies and maxi dresses have me addicted! Since it’s summer and I have more time on my hands, I’ve actually sewn myself a maxi dress because I couldn’t find one that fit exactly what I wanted :love:. I love the bright colors and the flowy nature of a lot of these outfits because they’re comfy (I have to be comfortable!), and look fashionably effortless. That and maxi dresses + headscarfs = wonderful to me :hearts:

As for the Pucci trend…for me it looks a litte too old sometimes. Like the Emoda skirt; I love Emoda but that looks a little too aged to me. Like Mada stated, I think the Pucci print in scarfs is enough for my tastes.

May 21, 2010 / 7:03 pm

I love Maxi dresses, too! I can’t believe you sewed one. I am so untalented with a sewing machine. I’m in total envy :-D I have quite a few and find myself wanting more. They’re just so casual yet chic. :hearts2:

15. May 21, 2010 / 7:11 am

The Glad News tie dye piece is lovely I really like the shape
    I adore Pucci patterns, it’s a shame I don’t think I’ll be able to deco my new phone because I’d love to try it!
    The Duras scarf is loveee :hearts:

May 21, 2010 / 7:04 pm

Pucci deco is pretty difficult to do, but rewarding. I really love that style and the GN dress. Great taste as always chica :wink:

16. May 21, 2010 / 12:25 pm

I really love the GIMLET turquoise dress, and the GLAD NEWS dress. I was quite surprised as tie-dye was something I wore as a little kid back in the early 90’s (ok, ok, I had one purple tie-dye tshirt lol), so I kinda tend to stay away from it. That said it’s really not as terrible as I remember it.

I’m not a big fan of Pucci print unless it’s a scarf or deco etc. But I do like the Lip Service dress.
    I am so sorry but I can never take that ‘Me Jane’ model seriously, she either looks in pain or anxious :-S

May 21, 2010 / 7:06 pm

Yes! At first I was like uhhhh uhhhh and thinking of the time my mom decided we needed a wardrobe of tiedye and we ended up with several messy shirts and a horrible clean-up in the end. Seeing it professionally done, especially on chiffon and light fabrics really makes me love it.

LOL She is a bit unfortunate, but has quite a large chest in proportion. I was wondering if that’s why they chose her :oops:

• May 22, 2010 / 5:47 am

I think you’re probably right. I mean she isn’t bad looking and she has a good figure, it’s just the facial expressions haha :wink:

17. May 21, 2010 / 2:47 pm

love the tie dye i was getting sick of florals as well, not like “i hate florals forever” but more like, “i need something different” I really love that first gimlet piece!

however i’m not a fan on pucci print, cute as a scarf but a little too busy, but i didnt like clogs at first either and now i love :)

May 21, 2010 / 7:07 pm

EXACTLY! I’m not done with florals, but part of me worries my whole closet will become florals which a bit repetitive.

Seeing it in the long onepiece seems a bit much, but I do like the short one. Pucci seems to be best when it has a smaller area to cover. :arrow:

18. June 1, 2010 / 10:29 am

Hmm, didn’t tie-dye originally hit gyaru during the manba and ganguro era? I SWEAR I saw tie-dye tops back in the day those gyaru subtrends were big…

Also personally, I prefer Spring’s romantic looks because I can dress them up or down. And with us in the Philippines being a couple months behind on the trends and currently still in the thick of summer, we’re still big on the romantic florals. :3 Meanwhile, I find that the tie-dye trend is a bit too wild for me now especially for work, though I am sure I can still work it into onee style. :P As for Pucci… well, I was never a fan of either Pucci print or paisley, but this summer trend is definitely easier to work with as it lends itself well to both corporate and casual looks…

What makes me really sad though is that the cloth used for the Pucci prints seem very, VERY hot. Are those a kind of silk or something? If there’s one thing I hate about living in the tropics it’s how clothes and cloth stick to sweaty skin … and that’s something you get a lot of with silk cloth. =_=000 The really sad part is that if the El Nino drought continues, we’ll be experiencing summer in our hemisphere all the way into bloody JULY. DDDDDDDX