Mode Gyaru Hair How-tos & a Mode Make-up Look

A few ways to wear your hair while in mode style and keep it interesting: the Mode Bun, Mode hair accessories, straight vs. curled bob, and two Mode ways to use a scarf in your hair. I’m also trying out Momoko Ogihara’s make-up look. :stars: It’s a reallllly long post :wink:

I first thought of the post, because I really loved Ena Matsumoto’s Mode style bun.

Disclaimer: I am not a model just a simple gal. Also, she’s using a texturized look to offset her sleek outfit.

I went for a more sleek look for a busier outfit. We also do not have the same bangs (obviously).

Step 1. Put up your hair in a ponytail with a chunky scrunchie.

Step 2: Wrap a scarf around your scrunchie. If you have thin hair or want a larger bun use several. Secure with bobby pins.

Step 3. Use a teasing comb to tease your hair. For Ena’s more textured loose bun tease from the outside with the comb facing the other way. If you want a sleeker bun, tease from the inside as shown.

Step 4. When finished your hair should be quite teased and fluffy.

Step 5. Separate a section of hair. I’m using about 1/7th of my hair. Ena’s bun requires smaller sections so possibly 1/12.

Step 6. Roll and pin your section.

Step 7. Repeat until the last two pieces are the ones in front of your head.

Step 8. Pin the last two and pull them apart so that they meet. For Ena’s style remember to pull a few strands to make it look loose.

Since this is a stark hairstyle remember to add some fun earrings!

Ena has also worn this style to show off a statement necklace and used small earrings. A lovely Mode nighttime look :hearts3:

Momoko Ogihara’s Sleek Mode Look

On Momoko Ogihara’s blog she posted  this great hair and make-up look that I had to lust over and try to copy.

p.s. dear god her contacts are amazing, any clue what she’s wearing?

For the hair: Momoko Ogihara uses a fabulous black and gold pairing for her hair and earrings. I raided my hair closet and came up with a bronze headband by Goody and a feather headband by Urban Outfitters. My large earrings are by Yves Saint Laurent.

This is a great way to pull back heavy bangs. Remember to keep everything in a same color scheme.

I felt the key to the make-up was 3 points shine, a bright color, and gold undertones.

A strong brow and elongated liner help complete the look. I’m using MAC #7s and some small bottom highlight lashes.

It’s a very simple look and the liner amount helps cover the top and bottom lash edges.

Straight vs. Curl

Since a lot of the ladies are in straight hair or long undercurled bobs in the street snaps so against my better judgement I’m showing straight hair.

Simple easy stuff, right? Just remember to use products such as a shine spray and leave in conditioner so that any humidity is offset.

Curling makes a big difference!

Look at the volume of simply curling my hair with a large barrel iron vs. straightening it.

Ena Matsumoto with an extremely chic curled bob.

I did a similar look, just more volume instead of sleekness. Just a big barrel iron can bring you great results :note:

Mode Hair Scarves Two Ways

:upheart: The Side Bow :upheart:

Always pre-knot your scarf in a loose knot. This stops you from fuzzing too much with it and messing up your hair.

Tie into a side bow and coordinate with outfit. So simple!

The Under Scarf

Have your scarf knotted and half of your hair up. Do not pin back your bangs.

Wrap your pre-tied scarf around your forehead and arrange. Gently move your bangs into place.

Untie hair and poof! Scarf impact! It really volumizes hair :stepup:

I think this look works best with a printed or bright scarf. Also if you do your eyebrows (I didn’t :depressed: )

Phew that’s it! Next is Mitsu’s Bday Post, Mode in stores, Lip Service 109 to Overseas and then Gal Summer Luvin’. Away we go! :waves:

I need to drag someone to be a hair model, too bad my man’s hair is shaved LOL :roll: I’m not big on posting myself throughout this (or at all), but I always feel that if I’m telling you about a trend, I should try it too or I’m just preaching :icon_eek: So sorry guys you get me. When Bloomzy comes to Japan she’ll be my mannequin instead ehehehe!!

1. June 15, 2010 / 11:17 pm

This is so great ! I’m gunna try all these hair styles!!!

June 18, 2010 / 1:56 pm

Oooo good luck, I’d love to see results :hearts3:

2. June 15, 2010 / 11:25 pm

Awww mitsu … another great post! I’m always looking at my blog list to see if yours would be at the top.. that means you updated.. and you did! =)

Your hairstyle tuts are so easy to follow and I find it very enjoyable seeing more of you in your blog posts =) It gives such a personal touch when I see the writer in the post! You make a great hair model =) I really really love your makeup shown in the sleek mode photos too :D

I will have to try these out – I’m so happy learning about all these mode gyaru hairstyles – certainly is refreshing to try something new than the typical curled hair .. i need to definitely branch out more..

Can’t wait for more posts! =)

<3<3

June 18, 2010 / 1:57 pm

LOL I prefer to stay away from my blog if possible. I want to emphasize all gal so I gotta stay back to do that.

Glad you enjoyed them and I must say how lovely it is to hear such sweet words from a truly fabulous lady :note:

3. June 15, 2010 / 11:45 pm

ommmggg your gold makeup is gorgeous!!!!!!!

June 18, 2010 / 1:58 pm

Thank you :hearts3: Although I think it might just be angles LOL

4. June 16, 2010 / 12:09 am

I LOVE the bun-tutorial and the thing about straight and curled bob :peer:
    thank you so much I will def use it! :note:
    Also, in “Momoko Ogihara’s Sleek Mode Look” you look so amazingly pretty *love* :hearts:

June 18, 2010 / 2:01 pm

Thank you for your lovely words :love: I hope you get good results with the hair trials :note:

5. June 16, 2010 / 12:24 am

These styles are awesome!! I’m definitely trying these =D

I think Momoko’s hairstyle looks the best on you: you have very pretty features :hearts2:

June 18, 2010 / 2:02 pm

Yay I hope you find success :upheart:

Awwwh lol I think it’s all angles :oops:

6. June 16, 2010 / 12:28 am

* U* I’ve been following your site for a while and I love your how-to posts.

Lol I’ve been lured out of lurking because I’m in love with colour contacts and I thought a few EOS series contacts /might might might/ be similar to the ones Momoko might be wearing. The ones that look similar imo are EOS Pure series V-201 Brown[http://i48.tinypic.com/2wf46lg.jpg], EOS Love series E-202 Brown [http://i45.tinypic.com/osfudd.jpg] and EOS Fancy Lens F-65 [http://i46.tinypic.com/dwqw6o.jpg] ;;;;; Hopefully this helps you, even if it’s just a little bit of help.

• June 16, 2010 / 12:33 am

I was gonna say the same for the lenses tho the more I look at those pictures… I think they might be EOS Candy Color~

June 18, 2010 / 2:03 pm

Yay thanks for following :korila:

I was thinking they were EOS. I’ve been staring at their Jewel line but I think I might look creepy, she looks wonderful though :hearts3:

7. June 16, 2010 / 1:41 am

Love Momoko’s eyes! And how much volume you’ve been able to achieve with a straightener – might just have to give that a go sometime :)

June 18, 2010 / 2:04 pm

Momoko’s amazing!

LOL well I was using a barrel curling iron for the volume part, my straighter well just straightens :oops:

8. Rii
    June 16, 2010 / 1:56 am

This post was so great! I love the second hair-style and malke-up from Momoko Ogihara, it loos so elegant and classy.
    As you may have already noticed I’m really in love with the forehead scarf trend, although I recognized it first on a D.I.A. shop staff which isn’t wearing Mode at all, but I totally love it!!! :hearts:

June 18, 2010 / 2:12 pm

Glad you liked it :up:

LOL Well it’s trending I think DIA was trying to probably be more motorcycle babe, right? LOL I love DIA for its trad style though :upheart:

9. June 16, 2010 / 2:45 am

Wow great tutorials! :hearts: This is really helpful! Thanks hun! :bear: I’d love to try that straight/curled bob! It’s too cute!

June 18, 2010 / 2:13 pm

Yay! Glad you liked them :hearts3:

10. June 16, 2010 / 3:25 am

Omg! That’s a gourgeous tutorial! Best post post ever! Thanks a lot Mitsu, you inspired me! <3

June 18, 2010 / 2:26 pm

LOL Wow that is high praise! I’ll have to work harder :hearts3:

11. June 16, 2010 / 4:17 am

Really helpful tutorials thank you as usual!
    That sleek mode look makeup looks lovely on you
    You make me want to try all of these, though I don’t think I could still get that lovely under curl with longer hair :[[
    Oh well time to stock up on moar headbands :]]
    Those lenses look a bit like beaucon Jewels to me?
    [http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2484/lovexcg.jpg] [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DvVgMm1h_HQ/S7gd_-flMQI/AAAAAAAAAgY/wG8jW1otBN0/s400/wjewels.jpg]
    [http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M100C0dzvjY/S6VaB8Z7UHI/AAAAAAAABhM/awtrGxbWRgQ/s400/BothInd.jpg]

June 18, 2010 / 2:27 pm

Yes headbands are now my new MUST BUY after seeing her put on more :up:

I am thinking they might be jewels as well :hearts3:

12. Kat R.
    June 16, 2010 / 6:52 am

I simply ADORE the mode style of makeup! I want to look like that even on days when I’m not full-on gal. This mode style is so chic and classy looking. I really love it. :hearts:

June 18, 2010 / 2:28 pm

YAY! So glad you love it, I am getting really into it too :up:

13. Maki
    June 16, 2010 / 7:21 am

I’ll definitely be trying out the bun! I love bun looks, it’s such a great way to deal with hair when it doesn’t want to cooperate, or if the humidity is too intense to control the frizz.

June 18, 2010 / 2:29 pm

Yes exactly! Houston is having so many humid days in a row that it’ll be hard not to just to continuously bun myself :note:

14. June 16, 2010 / 7:53 am

Honey you are a great model, and your tutorials are just so amazing! I mean you really provide so much current and useful info.

The bun is cute, but when I scrolled down and saw your Momoko Ogihara hair and was literally like “WOOOOW” I mean you look beyond gorgeous. That hairstyle looks really great on you, and your hair color makes it interesting. I hope you wear it more often :oops:

I like the second scarf look, I will try it out with my power shoulders and bandage skirt…although I have the huge forehead haha!

Oh it sounds like the F21 near you is in a bad/strange location. I’m sorry to hear that >< Mine is rather far away from me, so I just shop online usually anyway. I think most people prefer to shop in store, but I'm the opposite for sure haha

June 18, 2010 / 2:31 pm

Awwh shucks! Thank you!!! LOL However I do prefer to always be behind the camera and not in front of it. A photo junkie like you should understand that hehehee :hearts3:

LOL I promise my forehead is giant. I have a five-fingered forehead :roll: I think the scarf helps cover that up (thankfully :-D )

15. June 16, 2010 / 8:29 am

hello. it’s my first time commenting on your blog, so first off- let me say i love it. i’m also really thankful for the mode gyaru posts, because while i do love gyaru, it’s not something i love on myself. i like looking at gyaru blogs but they never show the things i like wearing. mode gyaru though, is something i can relate to. it’s feminine, sophisticated and the make-up and hair-do’s are something i can incorporate into my style. also, hoooooooly momoko’s gorgeous! i just can’t get over it :|

June 18, 2010 / 2:33 pm

Yay thank you!! Welcome here :korila:

It’s one of the things I really like about mode: gyaru but it doesn’t have to be in your face. There’s a mature sexiness about it :stepup: LOL Yeah her skin is so gorgeous, too! She is such a beauty :hearts3:

June 18, 2010 / 2:33 pm

Yeah I think it’s either Jewels or Candy. They look great, though :love:

16. June 16, 2010 / 9:07 am

Really love the sleek mode look!

June 18, 2010 / 2:34 pm

Yay glad you like it :hearts3:

17. Suteisi
    June 16, 2010 / 9:09 am

Woaw!! That 2nd look is so awesome!!!

I’ve always love hairbands, but the make-up makes ALL the difference in the whole look! :hearts:

Thanks so much for this post!

June 18, 2010 / 2:34 pm

Happy to provide! I agree I think the headbands really move it away from being too severe :hearts3:

18. June 16, 2010 / 9:17 am

Wow Mitsu, thank you so much for this post! It´s really inspiring and I love trying out new things with my hair and make :) I must say that I love mode make-up, it´s really elegant yet sexy.
    I think I´ll also try out the curled bob, since I´ve been straightening my hair for a long time now and just seeing the volume you achieved with a simple curler made me think about trying out this hairstyle, too :hearts:

June 18, 2010 / 2:35 pm

Yay happy to share! LOL it’s a bit shocking when seeing side to side with a straightened hair. I was a bit shocked when I decided to show the difference :korila:

19. June 16, 2010 / 9:38 am

OMG! I’m in love of Momoko’s makeup! And you look absolutely beautiful with her makeup and style!
    Thank you for this post, is really amazing!

June 18, 2010 / 2:37 pm

Awwwh shucks! It’s just all angles, I promise! :hearts3:

20. June 16, 2010 / 9:40 am

Can I just say that I am so happy that you didn’t curl your bangs? That’s the one thing I don’t really like about Ena’s bun ‘do. :mrgreen:

I loooooove your YSL earrings but I’m a sucker for anything with geode pieces.

June 18, 2010 / 2:39 pm

Yeah her bangs turned me off too. I don’t think they looked good even on her gorgeous face :depressed:

Thank you! My man picked them out as a present. I was quite happy to receive and wear them :upheart:

June 18, 2010 / 2:39 pm

Thank you for the award!! I don’t know if I have blogging time to do the meme, but I’m appreciative you nominated me :korila:

21. June 16, 2010 / 11:06 am

Wow! You really did an amazing job with that makeup!
    You look so good! :oops:

June 18, 2010 / 2:40 pm

LOL it’s all angles and having someone fabulous to rift off of :-D But thank you :cheery:

22. June 16, 2010 / 1:30 pm

Can you please style my bob for me everday XD
    Im sure Emma will have no arguments being your mannequin!! I hope I can come see you both :D
    I dont know how I will cope without my gyaru buddy for a year :cry:

• June 18, 2010 / 8:50 am

Don’t make me get all sentimental on your ass XD
      You’ll definitely have to come visit. Maybe at New Year, for grab bags?! haha

June 18, 2010 / 2:40 pm

Oh pls, you’re fabulous without needing my help. So’s Emma, I’m just stealing her. MUHAHAHAHA you better come and see us both :note:

23. June 16, 2010 / 2:26 pm

OMG, Mitsu, your Mode make up is GOOOOOOOOOORGEOUS. I am going to go try that as soon as I’m done typing this comment!

This was really helpful, because I never have enough time to curl all my hair in the morning before school (I only have a couple days left anyways, but still), so the flat iron bob is a really good thing for me. Same with the bun, it looks like I would be pretty simple to do!

I need to get some silk scarfs too. All of mine are too short :^_^;;:

June 18, 2010 / 2:44 pm

Yay!! I’d love to see your results :hearts3:

I agree! Having simple or quick styles that save time are great for school :-D I often curl my hair for school, but simple styles nothing too extreme. But being able to switch it up is great :hearts3:

LOL well one scarf came free with a dress and the other was thrift, so yay for cheap scarves. :-D

24. June 16, 2010 / 4:59 pm

Oh shush, you are a fabulous model bb! :hearts:
    This post was amazing~ you pulled off Momoko’s headband + makeup look PERFECTLY!! :cheery: You are so making me wanna drive to my nearest MAC counter & raid their makeup… The only thing I’ve ever tried of theirs is the lipglass! :^_^;;:
    Thank you SO MUCH too for the tips with the scarfs… Everytime I try to do a scarf look that’s not the standard scarf bow I end up messing up my hair too much I just give up XD So thank you! Def gonna give it a try this weekend~

June 18, 2010 / 2:49 pm

LOL I just hate having my face in a lot of posts, it’s just urghhh not my style. I’m much too shy, I’d much rather be BEHIND a camera :oops:

I turned into a MAC junkie LOL I think they do great make-up and their eyeshadow is really good quality. :korila: So many colors to choose from, too :-D

I promise the scarf pre-tie tip came from a lot of trial and error and fussing LOL :hearts3:

25. June 16, 2010 / 10:12 pm

I love the sleek mode look the most. I’ve never tried mixing headbands but it looks so darn cute but I think I shall now. I especially like the specific hair bands she has on :love: I think it’s perfect for those days when you don’t want to fuss. Simple yet stunning! Also loved how you did Momoko’s eyemake on yourself. Your eyebrows look so amazing & fierce.

I also have a longer bob style and find that straight hair just doesn’t do it for me anymore. If I’m not in the mood to curl it I must put some volume in it by doing in ward curls like you’ve shown. To me it just looks much more put together than just straightening it.

By the way, I’m loving the mode posts. I can definitely see mode moving into fall especially with the bold shoulder trend :)

June 18, 2010 / 2:54 pm

I love her headband combo, too! It’s my weekend goal to find more like hers :-D

Awwh thank you so much :hearts2: My eyebrow idol tho is Lanna over at http://vivarilakkumatime.blogspot.com/ Her eyebrows are so amazing.

I agree I really can see the power shoulder going on and the bandage skirt. I think that skirt with tights could travel well into fall. I can’t wait to see what Mode comes up with for fall though :stepup:

26. June 17, 2010 / 3:12 am

So many great ideas in this post, thanks for sharing them with everyone! I love your interpretation of Ena’s fluffy bob style. Since my hair’s short right now, that’s a look I can try for sure. :D

Speaking of which, did you see that Ena got the cover of the newest issue of nuts? This is major! >3<

June 18, 2010 / 2:56 pm

Happy to do so :stepup:

DAYUM!!!! She is so gorgeous and that cover just makes her even more gorgeous! I guess this shows Mode is truly taking over the older gal world. I think Nuts and other magazines got sick of having to try to use light florals and such and try to make them edgy. :)

27. Katrin
    June 17, 2010 / 12:33 pm

Love the hair tutorials<3

June 18, 2010 / 2:56 pm

Happy to share :hearts3:

28. Katie Tatie Tot
    June 17, 2010 / 7:50 pm

First time poster on your blog, I just found you about a week ago and have read all your posts so far XD it’s awesome cause I live in Austin, TX so close to you and I had NO idea there were other gaijin gals out there! I didn’t even know there was a name for it !! Anyway, I’m pretty sure her contacts are the Christian Dior ones that JUST CAME OUT!!! Cause the gold and the thick dark outline gives it away. I looooove how the gold shows up brighter on the side of the eye getting more light. I’ve always been a fan of gold eyes in anime so ya! ENVIOUS FOR SURE!!! Btw… I’m also obsessed with Russia, especially the Romanov dynasty.

Lookin’ forward to more posts <3 <3

June 18, 2010 / 3:03 pm

Oooo how fabulous another Texas gal, yay! Soon we’ll fill up the state with gal :-D

I am betting the gold might just be the light shine, since I tried to look up any place to buy the Dior lenses and none so far. I don’t think they’ve been released yet. I am sure they will have even more of a gold shine. They are probably Beaucon Jewels or Eos Candy Magic: both found here http://www.honeycolor.com/beaucon.html

Hopefully you keep reading and yay for another Russia lover :hearts3:

29. June 18, 2010 / 2:41 am

Really love the hair!

June 18, 2010 / 3:04 pm

Yay happy you liked it :hearts3:

30. tia
    June 18, 2010 / 5:52 am

oh em geee! i love you & your style. hehe. =)

June 18, 2010 / 3:04 pm

LOL thank you very much! :korila:

31. June 18, 2010 / 8:49 am

Hmm having the famous Mitsu using her amazing hair/make-up skills on me?!
    How can I resist haha :wink:

I absolutely adore Momoko’s hair and make-up and those contacts….WANT!!
    She’s just too gorgeous.

Lovin’ all the hair tutorials, and I think I’ll try out this bun technique as an alternative to my usual.

June 18, 2010 / 3:06 pm

HAHHAHA I have a victim errr participant :-D

Momoko love! Her looks are always so fun :upheart:

Yay I’d love to see your results since you have longer and thinner hair :-D

32. June 18, 2010 / 12:13 pm

The Momoko Ogihara hairstyle look sooo good on you!! :hearts2:
    I’ll try the curled bun, hopefully I won’t fail lol -_-

June 18, 2010 / 3:06 pm

Thank you! It’s just angles for me, fabulousness on her part tho :korila:

Good luck!!

33. June 19, 2010 / 4:07 am

omg! i love all these hairstyles and u look so great in all of them (:
    love the make-up and accessories that go along too!
    ive been thinking of cutting my hair your length for a while now but i was obsessed with growing out my hair (since it was as short to the bottom of my ear last year)
    ahhh what a dilemma haha

34. June 19, 2010 / 4:44 pm

Looove all the tutorials!! I especially like the sleek mode look [because my hair is too short to do any others XD]
    And her contacts are gorgeous!!

35. July 1, 2010 / 11:27 pm

Fantastic tutorial as usual! I always find your hair tutorials really informative <3<3<3

36. Maren
    December 3, 2012 / 11:54 pm

This is so cute; definitely helpful in my gyaru quest! (/^o^)/ Thank you very much!!

Quick question: I have short hair, about the same length as Daniel Radcliffe…(? lol ^_^) Any cute gyaru hair ideas? I know the fundamentals of the style are in long, girly hair, but I can’t have that right now, or anytime soon.