Mode Gyaru in Magazines

A shorter mode post today since if you’re a facebook or twitter friend you may have guessed it’s a busy day for me :oops:

This week as I mentioned The Doll is all about Mode style.

:star2: Mode Inspired Make-up
:star2: Introducing Mode Gyaru
:star2: Mode Gyaru in Magazines
:star2: Mode Gyaru Street Snaps and In Store Trends
:star2: Mode Hair how-tos
:star2: Lip Service 109 to Overseas
:star2: Trendwatching: Dots & Stripes
:star2: Mode make-up 2: The smoky gyaru eye

So if you’ve picked up any older gyaru magazine lately (Jelly, Blenda, Nuts, SCawaii), you would have noticed the giant MODE usually in English popping out from a section of the magazines. Seriously it’s gone to extremes, SCawaii June issue discusses how to mix MODE with Sweet. It’s just all sorts of wrong, but I’ll forgive them.

SCawaii

Since in SCawaii’s March issue they broke down MODE trends pretty well. I think they’re missing some key looks, so I’ll be using them and pointing out some other key looks. :cheery:

SCawaii is mixing Mode with Celeb, there are certain differences. So I’ll be saying which is booming and not so booming in Mode Gyaru.

Young Celeb Mode is the Keyword

1. Deco Shoulder – This also fits with the military trend. This is not exactly a pure mode trend.

2. Bandage Skirt THE BIGGEST MODE TREND IS THE BANDAGE SKIRT. A tight lined miniskirt in the style of Herve Leger is the key for many Mode looks.

3. Transparent Black – This is very much MODE style

4. Flower Print – I agree, but I do think the Glad News dress (big one) is rock-kei and the grey dress doesn’t feel bold enough. If a Mode designer does a floral print it’s bright and often with larger flowers.

5. Power Shoulders – Thing above “deco shoulders” it’s the power shoulders. The the second most important element in mode is strong shoulders.

6. High Waist Bottom – Mode is really fueling the high waist look.

7. Spangle (aka sheen) – There’s some in MODE, but it’s usually left to accents or leggings.

8. Necktie – This is a NO for me for Mode. Instead it’s Mannish.

9. Black x Pink – Not only this color combination but Black x a bold Color. Red, Blue or Purple are also popular.

10. Napoleon – Some, but this is not a MODE specific trend.

LOL I did a lot of arguing with that, but it’s best to have a really clear idea of what MODE gal is and its boundaries. To know its limitations makes you understand how to best combine it, if you’d like to. Say MODE x Pop gal, or MODE x Rock etc… :stars:

Jelly

Jelly in the June issue does an excellent job of describing how to use MODE items as one aspect of your look.

Using 1 Rule for Mode. Ways to wear real Mode style.

1. Mode’s light jackets – Napoleon, bolero, lace loose vest. The key look to these are do they have a decorate aspect: bold shoulders, front detailing, lace in general.

2. A Mode top updates denim looks – Corset tops, Power Shoulders, and yet again Decorative Shoulders.

3. Mode Bottoms update Simple Tshirts – Bandage skirts, Saurel pants, and Denim Leggings (paginsu – the new term for Pants/Leggings)

4. Simple Monotone really powers MODE up – If you’re using a casual style denim go with black or white. Mode onepieces and all-in-ones benifit from small monotone pieces (scarf, jewelry, etc..). Unusual Mix of Monotone with lace and spangle (shine).

5. Small Mode items can “class up” your mix – Decora bracelets, sandals, headwear and belts.

I really liked this piece (as usually Jelly is awesome). It shows that you can buy these items possibly for work or to go a bit more adult, but they can be mixed to provide fun looks that are not necessarily pure MODE put have MODE influences.

I didn’t realize how huge this post was going to be, so next post will be about Street Snaps and current Mode clothes in Gal stores.

1. June 10, 2010 / 7:49 pm

The more I see, the more I’m loving Mode! I’m not really Gyaru, but I might have to start mixing some Mode style into my daily wardrobe. :)

June 13, 2010 / 1:36 pm

Yay I’m glad you’ve found some love for a bit of gal. I’d love to see what you come up with :stepup:

2. June 10, 2010 / 9:58 pm

I really love Mode gyaru, it’s so simple and stylish! And it’s really easy to translate the style over to stores in North America, as opposed to things like MA*RS style or Liz Lisa. I am totally loving bandage skirts the more I see them.

This post was really helpful, I now have a refreshed outlook on the clothing at my local shopping complex! :)

June 13, 2010 / 1:37 pm

I really agree! I like how this style works in both countries. I am sometimes at a loss of when to wear Mars, especially during the day. I like how these are great day looks :up:

3. Lindsay
    June 10, 2010 / 10:57 pm

I’m not insanely crazy about Mode. :roll: The translucent black lace paired with floral pattern is giving me crazy mid-90’s flashbacks it’s not even funny. And the few instances of red/coral lipstick aren’t winning me over completely either.

Loving the shoes on the bottom picture, though! :hearts2:

June 13, 2010 / 1:39 pm

hahahah I can see that. There’s a lot of throwback in this. I just like how you can choose a mode look that flatters your body since it can emphasize different parts of the body.

I’m not to big on the bright lips either, I think it can make a smallish lip look even smaller :x

4. June 10, 2010 / 11:47 pm

Ooooh I love floral and high-waisted skirts and currently on the look-out for a deco shoulder shirt! I think this type of gyaru fashion is more for me :D It feels more mature and sexy at the same time, amazing :love:

June 13, 2010 / 1:39 pm

Ooooo good luck on the deco shoulder hunt! I haven’t seen anything, I am tempted to DIY, but I’m so bad at that LOL :-D

5. June 11, 2010 / 5:28 am

one of my favourite magazine!! love it

June 13, 2010 / 1:39 pm

Great!

6. June 11, 2010 / 6:32 am

i wish i didnt look ridiculous in full mode style :( too strict(?) for me :-S but love it so much ! must find best mix to suits me well :cheery:

June 13, 2010 / 1:40 pm

I am loving how people are mixing it. I agree maybe full on it can look a bit “stiff”, yanno? However I think so much of the key mode pieces really add impact to an outfit. I’m loving a good mode blend :up:

7. June 11, 2010 / 6:36 am

JELLY’s translation of mode is amazing. You have definitely inspired me to totally do mode for work, since like a lot of other people on here pointed out, it’s easy to transition between the workplace & outside! :hearts:

June 13, 2010 / 1:41 pm

I agree, gal for work BANZAI! I did an order of Emoda tops so I could pair them with business suit bottoms and be work appropriate and then bring out the bandage skirts and bottom ideas at night :upheart:

8. Maki
    June 11, 2010 / 8:04 am

I love the Jelly article, thanks for sharing! I love the options for mixing Mode in, since there are definitely some Mode elements I like but overall the style isn’t quite me. And those white pants with the heart-drawing print on one leg…must have *_* I only wish I could see the brand, but the print is so tiny. :cry:

June 13, 2010 / 1:43 pm

I saw those pants in Pop Sister July as well, maybe it’s got a better view in the other mag?

9. June 11, 2010 / 8:41 am

Thanks for sharing these articles, they are quite helpful and interesting. I really like the power shoulders and deco shoulders, but I guess I just like any reason to show off my naturally power-ful shoulders haha!

I wish I could pull off a bandage skirt but after my weightloss my body shape is not smooth. The interesting pants with plain t-shirt is a great look tho! I would love to get some of those interesting drop crotch pants.

I think mode is a great balance to all the sweet that’s trendy now, and I agree with other – this style is easier for Americans to shop for/integrate into work wear.

• June 11, 2010 / 9:09 am

Spanx makes bandage skirts possible for the rest of the world not built like models! :hearts:

June 13, 2010 / 1:44 pm

I think bandage skirts can look great with a tee over them that’s oversized that goes a bit below the top. I bought a bandage skirt with the intent of covering the top. My body is not made to be straight there, however I love the sleekness of those skirts.

10. June 11, 2010 / 9:09 am

I’d like to humbly argue FOR florals being mode as the primary decade inspiration for Mode is the 90s. Ditzy floral prints comprise a big part of patterns during that clothing era. It’s strange to say this but I feel like SCawaii made a much stronger point for Mode styling than Jelly (and I LOVE Jelly). Sure there are hits and misses (Denim ruffle dress? L/S Heather grey ruched front shirt? Destroyed denim mini skirt? Corset/bustier tops layered over tees??) in both spreads but the SCawaii looks nail more of the definitive mode trends & elements.

Again, excellent coverage and I look forward to the rest of the feature!

June 13, 2010 / 1:46 pm

I definitely agree with you on the hits and misses of both mags. I do think SCawaii did a better intro job, but for those used to mode seeing it in stores I think the Jelly article was more useful. Both mags did a good job, and I agree Jelly is awesome :stepup: I seclude myself for the rest of the day after my magazine arrives so I can read it cover to cover :note:

11. June 11, 2010 / 9:42 am

When you posted your intro to mode gyaru I didn’t think it would be something I would like, but this post… I AM IN LOVE :oops:

June 13, 2010 / 1:47 pm

HAHHAHA I understand! Sometimes Mode can come across to strong and not playful, I liked seeing the more playfulness in these articles :stepup:

12. June 11, 2010 / 10:39 am

Great post, really informative! It’s good research for my upcoming splurges, haha!

June 13, 2010 / 1:47 pm

hahaha can’t wait to see what you buy :-D:-D

13. June 12, 2010 / 12:26 pm

Ahh I really do love MODE. I think I even have a few of these key pieces that I could work into a more Mode look.
    Keep these posts coming, I can’t get enough :note:

June 13, 2010 / 1:48 pm

LOL I knew this style would brighten the bloomzy heart! It makes me giddy too :upheart:

June 13, 2010 / 1:48 pm

Happy to provide :waves:

14. July 1, 2010 / 2:58 pm

I love Jelly’s take on mode.All the ripped denim and gorgeous details makes me happy:D
    I am itching for a bandage skirt at the moment,I’ve seen one but I’ve sworn off clothes shopping for a while until i return to my normal weight:(