Mode Gyaru: Murua S/S 2010 & Murua Girls

Since I hadn’t shown the Murua catalog, but shown the Emoda catalog take a look at some great catalog shots. So much fun attitude in these! :up: I also discovered some staff blogs for all Murua stores so let’s dig in to tons of lovely pics :hearts2:

Now Murua can be considered Oneegyaru (お姉ギャル), it’s a brand that appeals to those older gals. The types of gals who shop at Sly, Moussy, snidel, Mercury Duo, Egoist, Golds 81 and Duras. Murua gets coverage in SCawaii, Blenda, Nuts and Jelly which appeal to older gals. These kind of gals are most found on 6th floor of 109 that houses Moussy and Duras. However, they’re also found at Marui, Marui Jam and Lumine EST in Shinjuku.

Murua details:
katakana: ムルーア
website: http://murua.co.jp/
number of stores: 13 (already!!)
stores in Tokyo: Marui Jam Shibuya B1F, Ikebukuro Parco B1f, Lumine EST Shinjuku B1F
producer: Momoko Ogihara 荻原 桃子
this season’s concept: “Charming Girl” Sometimes sweet, sometimes cool, this girl is able to change depending on her mood.
random facts:
1. Their offices are located in Osaka. Which is pretty rare for any fashion brand.
2. They are owned by a conglomerate which also runs Emoda, Dazzlin’, Mercury Duo, Laguna Moon and Han Ahn Soon.

Shots from their Spring Summer 2010 Catalog. All shots can be found on their website. :stars:

You can see the pieces reflect Mode trends: damage tight denim leggings, corset tops, bold prints, lace accents, onesies, saruel pants, and the deco shoulder.

Murua Shop Staff

Keeping everything digital is the new name of the game and Murua’s on top of it. Every store of theirs has their own staff blog (check them all here). If you’ve noticed by my tumblr (http://inspireddoll.tumblr.com/) I love to post pics of shop staff. It’s fabulous to see how gals all over Japan are interpreting their own store’s trends and enjoying themselves.

All out at an Izakaya having fun. Cuteness!

Murua Ladies ready to hand you your big purchase ♥

Two tone! Hollah! Great use of a scarf belt to raise up a monotone onesie.

Love the intricate belt ♥

Lovely chic boho look

Great accent on an all-in-one

Wonderful Spring Mode Gyaru look

Love the belt and bright colors

Great look at the damage pagginsu (pants leggings) that are all the Mode rage. Also trying out Murua's turban-like scarf trend.

Lovely pairing with a Napoleon vest

Fabulous sleek way to wear a long scarf

Wonderful necklace to draw the eye up.

Beautiful Scarf Look

It's great to see the shop staff using a scarf belt with pantsleggings

A very trending mode look of saruel pants and a cropped tank.

Unsure how I feel about pure leggings as pants, but I do love the ethnic sheer top.

I have no clue where the hell they are, but hey Murua travels with fabulous ♥

I loved all these gals, short hair long hair too much blush etc… they’re doing Murua their own way. Loves it :stepup:

And just incase you saw not enough extensions or long enough hair to consider it gal. Take a look at their nails! Lots of gal love in those :up:

Momoko Ogihara ♥

Just in case you hadn’t gotten enough love I have to show these pics from Momko’s blog. She’s so fabulouuuuus :upheart:

The Balenciaga bag paired with a gold and black scarf. Handclap!!

Yet again rocking gold and black to perfection paired with a Tory Burch clutch.

Momoko is now trying a scarf turban. Unsure about this, but like all of her looks they're not for the weak ♥

Only 2 more Mode posts and we’re done, so sad! Oh well, hopefully you ladies are taking away pieces of mode to put in your own looks :up:

1. June 18, 2010 / 12:51 pm

So many stylish ladies in one post :oops:
    I love shop staff blogs, I need to read more! At the moment I just read MA*RS and galaxxy :D
    Much love for her two tone hair too! Really want it but trying to avoid salon cost’s at the moment lol

June 18, 2010 / 2:18 pm

LOL you took the words right out of my mouth. Currently I’m getting roots and I’m like urrrrgh but so expensive :^_^;;:

I agree! Shop staff blogs rock! I wish more brands had them :waves:

• Kate
        June 19, 2010 / 10:27 am

I really want to do two tone blonde and pink or pink and brown but I’m worried others might not consider it gal. I’ve seen pink haired gals but not really two tone…hm…

Right now mine is two tone but half of its blonde the other brown The regrowth is a pain, I will agree haha,

2. June 18, 2010 / 1:11 pm

– I love the direction/styling of their S/S 2010 catalog; it really has international appeal and nice variety of models (including the always lovely Kiko :hearts: ).

– The onesie with the scarf belt is totally my favorite staff look. Oh and those awesome nails! I loooove the ones that look like galaxies/outer space; if I rocked long nails, I would get those in a heartbeat.

June 18, 2010 / 2:20 pm

I agree! My first thought was WHAT?! Models ACTUALLY modeling?! LOL But yeah I love the styling yet still great presentation of clothing.

I am needing to do that, I love it too! They’re providing great style inspiration :up:

3. June 18, 2010 / 1:16 pm

I really like this style! at first I was like ehhh not my thing, but now it’s growing on me. It’s very mature, yet still gal.

June 18, 2010 / 2:21 pm

Hahahaa I hear people saying that a lot. I think I felt the same way as well. I need clothes to be a bit playful or I won’t want to purchase, but seeing some good styles again and again it won me over as well :note:

4. June 18, 2010 / 1:25 pm

I think I’m developing a bit of a girl crush on Momoko haha :^_^;;:
    Although I’m not feeling the scarf turban look.

I will definitely try to work some Mode into my coordinates.
    I can’t wait til I can get home, get my camera lead and start uploading pics again :)

June 18, 2010 / 2:25 pm

LOL you’re joining the club. When I see her I’m like DAYUM GIRL!

I might have to try the scarf turban just to try it, but really it’s feeling a bit matronly :evil:

5. Jilly
    June 18, 2010 / 1:56 pm

Is mode the only thing trending right now? I can’t say I like it, it just looks like American fashion from like 1-2 years ago… I like gyaru because it’s different from American fashion, I kinda hope things change.

June 18, 2010 / 2:10 pm

No, I’ve been discussing several trends the past few months that are trending. Mode however is the newest gal style. The other trends belong to other styles like Marine for Pop Gal or Ethnic for Boho Gal and the like.

Personally I feel the difference in Mode is the details. I just don’t think you’ll find the same amount of detailing or interesting cuts in American lines. I also feel the price point is much lower in comparison to what you’ll get in an American line.

This isn’t the first time a gal style has taken American influences, although more of Mode comes from Parisian RTW styles in which American brands dilute and use. Which is not uncommon for any gal trend you’ll see.

As far as American influences: Amekaji… Celeb… both take American influences. Chinatsu’s WC line as well as Akina’s Miia line takes influence from used clothing and nostalgia from their LA travels.

6. June 18, 2010 / 2:37 pm

I am loving Mode gyaru more and more with each of your posts! It’s so fabulous!!! I really can’t wait to get two-tone hair now :hearts: I need more scarves!!

June 19, 2010 / 11:32 am

LOL I was thinking I need more scarves while writing this, too! It definitely makes you look at them more :korila:

7. AICE
    June 18, 2010 / 3:01 pm

OMG KIKO FOR MURUA!! <3

June 19, 2010 / 11:32 am

Yes! More talented Kiko-ness :hearts3:

8. June 18, 2010 / 3:42 pm

Aaaargh!!! I’m sooo inpspired now! :hearts: I just want to go shopping right away! X33 So many gorgeous coordinates!<3 I definitely want to try these looks!

June 19, 2010 / 11:33 am

hahahahaha that’s exactly how I felt. Like urgggh I need more things to make more looks work argggh :^_^;;:

9. June 18, 2010 / 8:57 pm

oh momoko is definitely becoming one of my favorites..

and ahh the two tone hair, i wanted it ever since ive seen you with it in your posts.. i definitely want to try it .. kinda scared to do it on my own, if only i had money to go to the salon.. ahh

thanks again for the wonderful mode pic spam!! <3

10. June 18, 2010 / 9:19 pm

Style overload :!:
    I was hesitant about those saruel pants but I’m kinda starting to love them. I can see myself wearing it in the summer & the fall. I’ve been a ‘Liz Lisa’ styled girl with my girly florals & lace for spring but I’m sorta leaning towards adding mode into my closet for fall. Especially that black onesie with the black lacey bits at the top. Feels like me without changing too much of what I like.

Oh, I think Murua is in Morocco with Chikako… I’m guessing because there was a spread of Chikako in Morocco for the Moroccan trend in the last edition of ViVi.

11. Musii
    June 18, 2010 / 11:43 pm

I’m not loving mode in general, but the floral accents and the lace accents are getting lots of love from me! I should go shopping for some corset tops, too. Great inspiration post. :wink:

I was wondering if you had any ideas for gal hair without bangs? I have really thin hair and don’t want to go through the expense and upkeep of exte or other fake hair (I’m not -really- gal, so I don’t feel like they are necessary just for my daily life), but all the cute hairstyles seem to have bangs of some sort! I’m afraid that bangs would require too much of my already too little hair, but I’m having a hard time coming up with styles that don’t require bangs. :( Any suggestions for those of us without much hair to work with?

June 19, 2010 / 11:34 am

I’ll try to answer this in next week’s Ask Anything :cheery:

• Musii
        June 21, 2010 / 12:17 am

Awesome, thank you very much! I typically wear my hair with loose waves (sometimes ratted out for a bit of volume) and a headband, but that gets tiring after a while, so I’m always on the lookout for new ideas. :arrow:

12. June 19, 2010 / 12:49 am

Crap. crapcrapcrap.

When you started this Mode Business I was like, “It’s awesome, but naw, it’s not for me, I’m too girly.” :mrgreen:

BUT I AM FALLING IN LOVE WITH IT AUUUUGH. :icon_eek: I didn’t mean for this to happen… there was too much black… but it’s just so cool and chic looking…

I still don’t know if I would look good in it or not but I feel like if I pulled it off properly I would feel so /awesome/. Gonna have to contemplate more on experimenting…

Also I’m now considering two-toned for when I get home in the fall. Dunno which colors yet though haha! :korila:

13. June 19, 2010 / 5:05 am

This is like… my new fashion bible, srsly :up:
    I think I’m falling in love with MURUA more than EMODA now too~ I love all of the models for the ad campaign & the shop girls are just as glorious as Momoko :hearts: Especially loving the look on the 10th girl up from the bottom… I have wild fantasies that I could totally do that look, haha :mrgreen:

14. June 19, 2010 / 5:17 am

Wasn`t Momoko in Non-no last month? She has grrrrreat personal style and owns so many nice purses. Really jealous. I would love to have her wardrobe :)

I`m curious…because you have been following mode just recently…but this style has been around at least since last fall, correct? And only now the western-blogsphere is jumping on it? It just feels not “new” to me at all and it is a style I have been doing for a while and I remember all these style elements you are going over in your series are all things that were really popular throughout the winter (just with, er, more winter fashion thrown in)…so I am wondering where is the sudden popularity coming from? Or do you believe it is a new trend as well? Curious on your outlook here, surely I am not the only one thinking this!

Just feeling a bit baffled by the term Mode (and the style itself) suddenly being thrown around on all the English-speaking gal blogs I read!

Also, thanks for the blog links. Must stalk! :)

June 19, 2010 / 8:59 am

The style has been around but not really related to gal. Until Emoda and Gimlet came out and got straight into 109 and got pure gal coverage in magazines it wasn’t making gal headlines. Ena’s cover for Nuts August really pushes this point. It’s not just Mode now being thrown around in English it’s now getting covers of magazines, which I don’t believe Nuts did last Fall.

I believe within gal it’s a new style sure some of those elements were around (saruel pants have been around since hmmm fall 2008 I think) but all the trends weren’t really pulled together in gal magazines all at once to say hey this is Mode Gyaru. The term Mode Gyaru has been showing up in Japan and Japapnese magazines more.

Not just Mode for Mode’s sake. 13 stores and yet not 1 in 109 when they’ve had the chance judging by the turnaround within 109 and that their own company already has several stores within it. Murua IMO deserves discussion within gal, but unless Emoda and Gimlet were around she wouldn’t have really gotten it from me.

• June 19, 2010 / 11:01 am

Thanks for your input! I was wondering if the new stores had anything to do with this sudden push, but it seemed weird that so many of the elements have been around for a while. I kind of want to go back through all my magazines and check to see when the word started getting thrown around haha.

Lately, it seems like A LOT of differing styles are taking brands and inspiration from each other (and I don`t mean that in a mock-up magazine way). Mode seems to come from the body-conscious style that was really popular last year and also, it seems to have bled over from magazines like Vivi etc. Maybe that is why it feels so redundant to me :/ A lot of magazines that don`t normally showcase 109 brands have been doing so lately, too. There isn`t really anything new about the trend, aside from it being new to gyaru it seems. I still love this style, so I`m glad to see you (as an English speaking blog!) talking about it and I hope it keeps getting popular :)

June 19, 2010 / 11:26 am

I’m curious as well. I am wondering when the invention of it came about.

I do think it connects to the bodycon style, but bodycon wasn’t making huge waves in gal. I thought it might, but really it’s only the waist belt that did serious trend making. Delyle tried some bodycon last year but it all went on sale. But then again bodycon is what highschool girls started wearing to clubs and got the nickname kogyaru so bodycon is essentially at the dawn of gal as well.

I think magazines like Vivi are faced with having gals that have grown up now reading their magazines. Although I thought the Vivi 109 guide put out last year was very whacky. I think cheap fashion also help since a lot of the Vivi brands are really at a much higher price point. AlbaRosa, Milkfed and Snidel are all often 100,000 yen higher for similar items. The money crunch might be behind all of this :oops:

• June 19, 2010 / 12:27 pm

I think it might be because body conscious dressing was making huge waves in mainstream fashion in Japan…and I think as a result it has trickled down and slipped into gal style? Not sure, but that is my guess. Last fall and winter I couldn`t go anywhere without seeing women in tucked in skirts with a wide belt etc. so I assume the popularity has finally made the move into gal this coming fall.

Oh god, I remember that. Ah, the dawn of gal. I do love nostalgia. I love watching trends cycle, it is fun (though should I be happy to be around for the second cycle, eek). Though, some could make me cringe haha :D

Also, I can`t remember which magazines were showcasing 109 brands even though I bought them recently…but I remember being pretty surprised by it (definitely more than just Vivi as that isn`t as surprising). But I agree with you, I do think the economy and money has something to do with it as most 109 brands are much cheaper compared other Japanese brands.

15. June 19, 2010 / 8:36 am

PS. Going to link this on my Weekly Wrapup! :)

June 19, 2010 / 11:27 am

Thank you!! :korila:

16. daphne
    June 19, 2010 / 10:44 am

hi mitsu, i forgotten where i linked your blog from but i absolutely love it!
    especially the recent mode post!

i love saramary! so prettyyyy!

by the way, any idea how does the girl on the right do the scarf flower thing on the picture where they travelled?
    and i never knew where to find blogs and see pictures of the staff from the shops, the coordis are fabulous!

June 19, 2010 / 11:34 am

I think it’s just a really thick scarf that’s thin that was made into a fat bow. :stars:

17. Rii
    June 19, 2010 / 12:19 pm

I like Mode, although I still feel a bit too ”young” for it. You know what I mean? It’s like I have to go crazy now with fashion and maybe in some years I’ll concentrate on fashion like this. (Arg hard to say when english is not your mother tongue).

Yes this forehead scarf/headband IS everywhere. I just posted this cause a girl said that she thinks it’s more metal, you know? :3

18. June 19, 2010 / 12:33 pm

I guess I have a new favorite brand now! :hearts: Murua is so much love!!!
    Momoko Ogihara is drop-dead gorgeous and she has a really unique taste, I love all of the designs she released with Murua, especially the darker ones which have a more mature/cool feel to them.

19. devy
    September 8, 2010 / 9:14 pm

hii..i love Murua so much!!!