Trendwatching: “Monster Fur”

Scawaii August issue is a packed issue that I love to pieces. It has more Chinatsu Wakatsuki than you could hope for. However, the best piece was a sneak preview into future FALL trends! :heart:

TA-DA! Monster fur!

Fall’s Trend is Monster Fur

The hit is fluffy cartoon-like fur!!

I did mention in Ask Anything that I saw fur would be trending, and woot it is! :sparkle2:

From the SCawaii Insert: It’s still hot but there’ll be a shift change in Winter!! Which brings news of trend items. Immediately the Number One hit will be VOLUME FUR! It looks like you’re wearing a kigurumi on your legs. Fuzzy boots, leg warmers, bag, vest and coat will be the new items coming out in stores. Even though it will feel strange seeing Winter items in during Spring, and you’re think “Isn’t that early!?”. But, get the Monster Fur items for when it does become Winter!

Why it’s showing up in Gal

The first thing when I see a trend is I wonder where it’s from. This time it seems quite obvious it’s a rift of Chanel’s Fall 2010 RTW collection.

Taking place around an imported iceberg into Paris, Chanel’s collection was fur on fur on fur.

A mixture of different fur textures, showing off the fur boots.

I am wondering if the “fur trim” look will take off on coats.

Very edgy Jesus Diamante :sparkle2:

I am unsure if the ridge style will do well into gal.

I can see the boots being a definite boom in gal.

The volume of fur on your calves makes your legs look smaller, and gals will eat that up. :yayblush:

Thanks to Nicky! I had forgotten about the fox tail Louis Vuitton Fall bags issued.

Another glimpse of high fashion heading to gal fashion :upani:

Hints it will be in Gal collections

Chinatsu Wakatsuki posted these hair + make-up shots on her blog. This is her shooting for the Fall catalog. The brown, textured, furry vest will be in W♥C’s Fall line :upani:

It’s a bit like the leopard ear coat from w♥c last year, but a bit more wild.

Thoughts

It seems a bit too brown. After a very brown and floral season in Spring, I’m not so inclined to see so much brown around. Also mixed with leopard print I worry this is a theme that could make people in 109 start looking like the Flintstones. :!:

Yabba dabba gyaru? I think not.

I do however think faux fur edging on coats and skirts could work for a variety of styles. Sweet-kei and Mode Gyaru could benefit by well placed fluffy fur accents. A fur edged bandage skirt seems quite fun. Again the volume of the fur would minimize any body issues.

Rock-kei could rock the fluffy bags and vests. Paired with a used t-shirt and damage denim I can see it looking very cool-stylish rock vibe. :cheery:

Also, with this style of fur there’s bound to be more faux fur than regular fur at 109. A rarity at 109. The faux fur boom should settle the hearts of those who are anti-fur. :cheery:

Not exactly related, but Ageha model Rin posted this adorable photo of herself on her blog recently that reminded me of the Scawaii pic.

So cute!

1. July 12, 2010 / 11:52 am

I love the Fox tail on the purse, reminds me of Louie Vuitton ads with Lara Stone. Thinking Im finally going to try this look, and thoes fur boots, oh la la! love them! Too bad its not winter yet, any cheap ones around online?

July 12, 2010 / 12:07 pm

I totally forgot about those bags! I thought they were quite cool! Added a pic of VB wearing hers, thanks for the reminder :heartsmile:

Yeah the longer a trend is around the cheaper options available. Haven’t seen any fur bits on gal stores left over from Winter. :rila:

2. July 12, 2010 / 12:46 pm

People find it so odd that I have a rather vegan diet, yet I ADORE fur! XD
    “The volume of fur on your calves makes your legs look smaller” …I think I need a bigger keyring in that case, my raccoon tail broke not so long a go because I was always playing with it :(
    I saw loads of fake LV bags with the fur in Egypt, I was tempted but I couldnt be sure how fake they looked lol

3. July 12, 2010 / 1:28 pm

I don’t mind very much the brown and all the furry, what I don’t like much is all the volume it’ll add to a person… :x

And that fox tail from LV DDD: do not like big accessories. At least not when they’re kind of everyday wear items.

I’ve always wanted a fur vest tho (fake is more than ok ahah) so this is my chance! With the trend spreading arround I’m sure I’ll find something cheap.

4. July 12, 2010 / 1:53 pm

Thanks for the trend report! I’m sure there will be another variation of the fur gilet this autumn/winter, which has oddly enough become a staple piece in my winter wardrobe. I still have some fox tails from when this trend last came around so I’m glad I held onto them! Mukluks will probably hold on strong as well but I’m still not a huge fan.

On a slightly off-topic note: I was just wondering if SCawaii was still around as I was pouring through some of my old issues (<2006) this past weekend. It's nice to see that they're still alive and kicking! Only four years ago but the circle lense trend was just picking up (mostly only black lenses then) and so it was nice to see lots of dark(er) haired gals sporting looser relaxed hairstyles and not rocking so many blue/green/grey/pink lenses. I kind of miss it!

5. July 12, 2010 / 1:56 pm

I LOOOOOOVE the fur boots. I used to own a pair like that but I threw them out after they got tatty from wearing them all winter. They were soooo warm! <3 I will definately be getting another pair now that they are trending!

6. July 12, 2010 / 2:22 pm

Faux fur only please! :)

7. July 12, 2010 / 2:57 pm

I bought a pair of shaggy fur mukluks three years ago just because I liked them…who knew they would become the next big thing! X3

8. July 12, 2010 / 3:42 pm

I just want fur boots! Those are so fun xD

9. July 12, 2010 / 4:39 pm

I laughed out loud when I saw that page, just telling you a bunch of time “You have to have big furry items!” I don’t really care one way or the other about this trend actually. The furry boots will indeed have the slimming effect, but I can’t imagine what would happen if I wore them in snowy slushy MN haha.

Oh, and thank you Chanel, for doing your part to add to climate change. Who’d want that ice berg to keep cooling the ocean when it could melt on a stage? -_-

I just notice this :kumatan: This is why you are the best!

10. July 12, 2010 / 5:02 pm

The SCawaii pic is cute but I don’t think I (or probably a lot of people :x ) could pull off this look irl! Maybe one or two pieces, but I could not wear the volume fur boots + the volume fur vest… TOO MUCHHH.
    I do think that LV bag is super-cute though & if styled right, the wc vest might be cute too! I do think you hit it right on the head though with all the brown tones & the overuse of animal prints, haha :^_^;;:

11. Ida
    July 12, 2010 / 6:14 pm

It’s a shame that there are so many people out there, expecting animal torture aka. real fur.

12. July 12, 2010 / 8:06 pm

the ageha model rin is so cute!!!

13. July 12, 2010 / 8:27 pm

I think fur accents on mode pieces will be interesting :)
    I myself wouldn’t mind having a furry purse~ Haha… I’m already imaging the possibilities with the fall trends!!!

14. July 12, 2010 / 9:55 pm

The fur boots and bags are really doing it for me! I think fur looks great with simpler designs, as you showed us the great Chanel examples. I wouldn´t mind owning a furry w♥c coat either, it looks very warm and cosy which is perfect for me, since I´m constantly freezing in winter.
    I´m looking forward to more future fall trends!

15. July 13, 2010 / 4:39 am

I quite dislike fur with long hairs to be honest. I think my limit is a short haired fur jacket. Fur boots… I don’t know, I have seen people wear it but they just remind me of Gorilla legs for some reason. Definitely not my type of trend lol.

16. July 13, 2010 / 7:46 am

thx for the trend news! =D
    gotcha many latest trend,fur looks nice.!

17. Katrin
    July 13, 2010 / 9:12 am

Love the fox tail as well, it doesnt look like a real one, so I hope it isnt :curiousmo:

18. Lindsey
    July 13, 2010 / 10:05 am

Whew, that’s a lot of fur…. I’m not sure I can handle that much fuzz…. maybe I can get away with the fox tail idea and maybe trims, but it feels a little cave woman with all that brown “monster fur”

19. July 13, 2010 / 10:17 am

Hmm I don’t know if monster fur would suit my petite frame, in the case of vests and coats…I’ve never been able to find any that do. But I love the boot and skirt ideas :stepup:

I’m pleased also because it means it won’t be a waste bringing the fur trimmed boots I bought in La Foret last year with me XD

20. July 13, 2010 / 11:20 am

I’m with you on the not liking all brown – but i love grey!! There’s a lot of fake fur in grey around 9at least in Australia), so that’s what I’m wearing. *Nods*

21. July 13, 2010 / 1:17 pm

OH MY GOSH. I HAVE BEEN WAITING SO LONG FOR THIS. LIKE. three years. at least. now i can finally find white fluffy boots local soon!

22. July 13, 2010 / 4:45 pm

I’m not a big fan of fur, so this trend will probably be a bit too much for me. ^ ^;; However, I’m okay with faux!fur accents, so it we get fur linings on hoodies, short pile fur vests, or just some fur peeking out of the tops of boots, that could be really cool. ^o^

23. July 13, 2010 / 7:20 pm

I think I’ll be buying some fluffy fur boots this fall. They look so cute! I’ve never owned a pair before. It looks fun but I think that’s the only fur item I’ll be buying. Maybe the fox tail too! I don’t think I can go out in full fur jacket and boots though. :icon_eek:

24. July 13, 2010 / 9:07 pm

I can see fur being a hit, but I think it’ll also be easy for girls to take it too far and look just plain silly.
    Let’s see how it goes :) Fur boots would be hella cute!

25. Me-Me
    July 14, 2010 / 11:24 am

I hope the majority of gals will use faux fur (it’s less expensive and easier to get anyways), or at the most, vintage fur.

The trend with the huge fluffy boots is really cute, sort of a fur version of loose-socks and leg-warmers. Anything to make those legs look as small as possible! My kind of look!

26. July 14, 2010 / 3:58 pm

I’m actually excited about the fur making its way toward gal legs. I LOVE big furry leg-warmers and they’re quick & easy to make. Faux fur in other colours is what I tend to see (esp. super fluffy fur) with the [industrial] clubbers on the east cost at least. I’d be happy with black and maybe dying a small bit to compliment the outfit. (like brown with a small pink flower).

27. Bunnie
    July 15, 2010 / 7:48 pm

I love this trend <333 Fur Boots are too cute!

28. daydreamrose
    July 19, 2010 / 7:06 am

i luv this trend but is the fur faux lol

29. Emma
    February 20, 2011 / 3:18 am

I am loving the whole fur thing – real for me guys (sorry PETA – lol)