Gal Hair Directory & Ageha Gal Hair Colors

I get a ton of hair questions, and finally I decided to bite the bullet and show to good resources of color and style for gal hair. Super image heavy below :stars:

Hot Pepper Hair Directory

Did you know there’s a directory you can use to look at different styles and colors of gal hair easily? You can! I promise it’s really easy, and here’s some step by step ways to look through a big hair directory. :yayblush:

The main page here

(click to enlarge)

I put some translations in, but this is the main page of Hot Pepper Beauty.

It’s a great resource for finding all types of beauty salons: nails, extension, hairset, facialists and more.

But for now we’re just going to work on hair and looking at that orange box to the right :star:

First you pick your length and then you choose your style!

Of course I have gyaru checked :yayblush: But you can check more than one :heartexclaim:

This is the drop down box from above and the length types. I’d be a Medium according to them.

So choose style and length and click the grey box :stars:

(click to enlarge)

On the top of the page after you click the box, you’ll see this if you want to get even more specific.

I was running out of room so I choose S M L to represent less, regular, and more.

Clicking on Gyaru + Long gave me 27 pages of hair styles, these are just a few of them.

Gyaru + Medium + Yellow/Orange gave me pics of these ladies

If you’re curious about face shapes and haircuts, there’s a really cute drawn tutorial on hotpepper.

See all of them at Hot Pepper Beauty here

Ageha Hair Colors

I’ve talked a lot on the Doll how gals tend to have a set color range, and since then many people ask what that range actually is. Thankfully Ageha May issue did a lovely job at showing exactly the range of color for Agejo hair. Does this mean that if you don’t have one of these colors you are less gal, no. But when explaining gal it’s easy to explain the norm.

23 haircolor options below :stars:  All scans 1000px width, click to enlarge

One of the better shiny covers as of late :sparkle2:

The quiz on the right is a way to determine which color is right for you.

Sakurina’s Highlights, Saya Brown or Suzu’s Blonde.

Suzu’s Blonde team with Ash and Pink tints

More blonde choices

Saya’s Brown Team

More brown shades

Rina’s Highlight team

More highlights or “mesh”. My haircolor is top right (with magenta mix).

Need more hair love a bit further from the norm?

Samispoon has been writing a series on gyaru rulebreaking showing some wild colors of hair

I have been tumbling about lots of gals with different haircolors: blue hair pink hair & orange hair

1. August 12, 2010 / 4:22 pm

I’ve finally got my hair to a colour that I really love (kinda close to Rin’s shade) but I know I’m gonna be even more tempted to dye it again if I look at Hot Pepper haha

August 14, 2010 / 12:37 pm

hahahaha you know how Tokyo will be. Image overload and wanting a new color each month. Or at least that is for me. LOL :worry:

2. August 12, 2010 / 4:27 pm

Super interesting post!
    Thanks so much for talking about the hot pepper directory :heart: , looks really interesting.
    Both for the hair styles and the face shape tutorial :korila: . No more trouble deciding my next look change! haha

August 14, 2010 / 12:36 pm

The face shape thing is so helpful! I still worry though even though -_- It is fun to have more tools though :happydance:

3. August 12, 2010 / 5:51 pm

Wow! Today was just wondering wich colour I’m going to choose for my hair~ I’ve died a half of my bang and now is pink, but I would like to do something else!
    Anyway, super useful post! Thanks~ :cheery:

August 14, 2010 / 12:35 pm

hehehehe I’m reading your mind :!:

Good luck on your final dye outcome :upani:

4. August 12, 2010 / 5:55 pm

That’s a cool website! I’ll definitely play around on it when I have more time, haha :kumatan:
    Out of the Agejo hair, I’m really loving the highlight & brown teams since I just can’t do blonde, haha! :x Sakurina has the best hair ever :hearts:

August 14, 2010 / 12:34 pm

Sakurina’s hair is amazing! So many times I’ve dyed my hair with her in mind, of course never reaching her fabulousness :thumb:

Yes it’s an addicting website. I see a color or style and think hmmmmm…. should I? and then it happens again and again :love:

5. August 12, 2010 / 6:03 pm

{woo!!! love your cute blog^__^ would love to exchange link with you if you are interested!} i always love the creative hairstyles!

6. August 12, 2010 / 6:29 pm

thanks for the scans~~ love these colours and styles. im thinking of dying my hair milky brown~~ love it xx

August 14, 2010 / 12:33 pm

Milky brown is such a lovely color, I wish I had the coloring for it. Oh well I’ll admire it on the girls who do :yayyay:

7. August 12, 2010 / 6:39 pm

Wow, so many style to choose from! I’d love to dye my hair a lighter colour, maybe one from “Saya’s brown team”… :yayblush: thanks for the inspiration~! I love your blog! :korila:

August 14, 2010 / 12:33 pm

Thanks for the lovely compliment!

hehehe it is a bit of inspiration overload. I see some colors I’d definitely like to try too :yayblush:

8. August 12, 2010 / 7:00 pm

Gorgeous gal styles! I have a highlighted long style right now! I’m trying to get it to a blonde though! I need to stop before I damage my hair …aaa. cute post

xx
    anya

August 14, 2010 / 12:32 pm

I know! So hard to go blonde without damage. I hate the idea of cutting hair, but I agree it’d be nice to go lighter when desired :yayblush:

9. August 12, 2010 / 7:38 pm

I’ve saw this issue of Ageha and love that new blonde of Himeka! I don’t really like this one of Himena, I prefer her with more bright hair, it suits her more. :korila:
    I don’t know about my hair color, I’ve dye it to bright blonde, blonde, dark blonde, but I still don’t know! :panda:
    I had loads of fun with that website, clicking the options :peer:
    (And thanks for the compliments of my post and my Diamante colection, I intent to post my closet soon :hearts: :hearts: )

August 14, 2010 / 12:31 pm

I can’t wait to see the whole collection, wow! Such great pieces you have. I’ve always loved their leopard rose print :heartsmile:

Himeka does look really pretty like that. I didn’t notice her as much since her hair is a bit more subdued, but it really works well with her skintone :hearts3:

10. August 12, 2010 / 9:28 pm

Oh, I usually just look at the paper version of Hot Pepper, I should access their website now I see! Hehe^^ I love the middle long hair style, its sooo mode and beautiful! And the first medium hair style is great too, that girl looks hot XD I need to do something with my hair…

I want to dye part of my hair, but I don’t want to mess up the chemical structure of my hair, so I guess I might just try a wash out dye when I get back^^

August 14, 2010 / 12:29 pm

I understand, I was really worried when I first dyed my hair. I wasn’t allowed to dye it when I lived at home so it felt a bit relaxing when I finally could though :-D

Yeah paper hot pepper is great, although sometimes it’s hard to find in Shibuya and such. Most people snatch and grab all the copies :(

11. August 13, 2010 / 2:59 am

Wow really cool, it’s always a struggle to find good hair inspiration online :)

Thanks xx

August 14, 2010 / 12:28 pm

I agree, it’s oddly limiting to find good hair on-line, seems very unexpected it’s that way :rila:

August 14, 2010 / 12:21 pm

Happy to do so <3

12. August 13, 2010 / 3:54 pm

Much love for sharing that website
    Though I’ll end up wanting a million styles at once haha

August 14, 2010 / 12:21 pm

Hahaha that’s exactly how I felt when I saw them all

13. Loti
    August 14, 2010 / 12:26 pm

Thanks for the website info but whats the hair website’s url because I can’t seem to fine it -_- Please and Thankyou ^-^/

August 14, 2010 / 12:27 pm

It’s just the orange box on the right will pull it up after you got to the hotpepper link. :heartshake:

14. August 14, 2010 / 8:36 pm

I hate to say this but I am somewhat disappoint with the site. I asked specifically for styles that are great for round-faced girls like me … and half the models on the page had oval or long-ish faces. :-S

Thanks for the post though, as always it’s greatly appreciated. :)

15. August 15, 2010 / 1:49 am

@ligaya I think if you contour your makeup to look like a different face shape, then maybe you’ll be able to wear different styles?

Mitsu, thanks for this article post. You’ve really answered my questions with the gal color range and translating hot pepper so I can navigate it easier. I have a diamond shape face and you’ve given me a lot to work with in accordance to styling. I know feel brave enough to try these styles out on my own hair instead of wearing a wig all the time.

Thanks for giving me that confidence. :)

• August 22, 2010 / 3:58 am

Hi Claudie,

Thanks for the tip. :)

But, I’ve worked with my face long enough to know that make-up can only do so much to contour it into thinness. Not to mention that a lot of make-up tips now – both in and out of gyaru style – actually call attention to my prominent cheekbones, which defeat the entire purpose of trying to contour my face to thinness. ;3

16. Katrin
    August 17, 2010 / 12:59 pm

Awesome post, and nice new layout!

wonder if im going to bring the pic of sakurina when im going to the hairdresser next week and say I want my hair dyed like that :bowhouse:

17. April 11, 2013 / 4:29 pm

Excellent blog post. I certainly appreciate this website.
    Stick with it!