Trendwatching – Horizontal two-tone & gradation gyaru hair

Still recovering from being sick, so instead I thought I’d make a quick hair post about the new two-tone gal hair. Who has it, how it’s done, and opinions. :heartshake:

So of course you ladies know about old two-tone hair, if not here’s a quick recap :smiley:

This was the typical gal two-tone. Or what shall be called for purposes of this entry: vertical two-tone. Tons of ladies had it from Popteen’s Kumickky to Ageha twins Chika & Chie. However like any trend it’s becoming a bit dated.

Now the trend is horizontal two-tone and gradation. This is becoming a big trend: at least one model from Popteen, Jelly, and Egg have this style.

Blunt Horizontal Two-tone – Model examples

Yunkuro

model for: Jelly and Egg

style: black to red two-tone

from: extensions

Number one ranking crooz blogger, Yunkuro, was one of the first to try out horizontal two-tone. She’s been obsessed with Mode lately, so she wanted sleek hair that showed off her Mode coordinates.

Aina Tanaka

model for: Egg

style: brown to blonde two-tone

from: extensions

Aina’s style is a bit more relaxed gal meant to go with her fun-in-the-sun lifestyle. I think she really looks great with this look :loveword:

CARRY two-tone extensions

Both Yunkuro and Aina Tanaka go to CARRY hair salon. Yunkuro posted a pic of the CARRY two-tone extension choices:

Wow look at all those vibrant choices :cat: So pretty! Like a rainbow :yayblush:

Oh CARRY why are you so expensive :sage: (Like $250+ for extensions)

Kanako Kosaka

model for: Popteen and Jelly (blog)

style: brown to blonde two-tone

from: dying

Jelly model Kanako Kosaka’s dye job is pretty amazing. Done by Hair Salon Maris (where Wei Son goes) she has 0 gradation, just two-tone. Looks cute as a bob :thumb:

Misaki Izuoka

model for: Popteen

style: red to blonde two-tone

from: dying

She did a small tip two-tone, which really highlights how cutely curled under her bob is. I saw this in the new Popteen September issue and yet again fell in love with the blunt horizontal two-tone :yayblush:

Blunt Horizontal Two-tone – Salon Examples

So of course I had to head to Hot Pepper Beauty to see if I could quickly find some salon examples of this new style.

Even though both styles are curled, they’re good examples of extreme color breaks :heart2:

Horizontal Gradation Two-tone – Model Examples

The horizontal two-tone has not only been about stark contrasts, but often a different way of doing highlights.

Murua producer Momoko Ogihara is so pretty and she proves she can rock the two-tone, highlight style.

Popteen darling Kumickky even recently showed she can do two-tone style highlights. The dark hair really suits her.

Egg’s Recchi and Popteen’s Emika are using extensions to do fade highlights. Purposefully picking extensions that don’t match for more for a hade/haadi feel.

Adorable Yumetenbou model shows off a Momoko style fade highlight but for a more Pop Gyaru look. :up:

Of course Hot Pepper Beauty had examples of the two-tone as highlight style. The pink-tips are really pretty :up:

AHHH I really love the stark horizontal two-tone :superhappy:

So tempted by this style. I had the fade before, but the stark look seems so interesting :up:

Opinions on these, will you be trying them out :curiousmo:

1. August 17, 2010 / 10:51 pm

I wish Pupe Girl had new hair colours!

August 17, 2010 / 11:55 pm

Yeah they’re a bit boring lately. You’d think with Kanako’s line they could offer some Kanako colors :thumb:

• Fiona
      August 19, 2010 / 3:28 am

OMG I totally agree!

2. August 17, 2010 / 10:53 pm

I REALLY want to try this trend out! But I workl in a hotel so I’m a bit scared this will be too much for my boss…

August 17, 2010 / 11:56 pm

Yeah this really doesn’t seem like a very work friendly style -_-

3. August 17, 2010 / 10:55 pm

NOOO don’t tell me vertical two-tone is outdated!! I literally JUST got it done last week LOL!! -_- :worries:
    well, at least in Nebraska no one else has it so I can look unique here. :up:

I love the Yumetenbou model’s hair :stars:

August 17, 2010 / 11:57 pm

hahaha but it’s still awesome! I really like seeing the contrasts on people :stepup:

• August 18, 2010 / 12:09 am

haha yes truth be told I love it so much I don’t care if it’s really on trend or not :hearts: it’s such a fun hairstyle!

4. August 17, 2010 / 11:13 pm

Two tone hair is really awesome but I don’t think I’d pull it off that well :x
    But I’m loving Kanako Kosaka and Misaki Izuoka two toned bobs.
    Really cute! Maybe two toned highlight style is a little more discreet but you’ll still able to participate in the trend :wink:

August 17, 2010 / 11:59 pm

Those are the ones I really liked as well, so shocking :heartsmile:

Yeah the fade seems nice, but sometimes hard to pull off :rain:

August 17, 2010 / 11:59 pm

FOOLS to post about Violet, she’s too awesome for that. Yes I always think of her hair when I see the fade, she pulls it off so well :smiley:

5. August 17, 2010 / 11:21 pm

Some of those are a highlight fade, so I feel kind of weird seeing you declare it as two-tone and a new trend when it isn`t either. But I know your blog is for introducing trends, etc, so I am still thankful to see you do it :) Can`t say I like the style, fade or the two-tone because it just isn`t as flattering in real-life unless you go for some more out there colors like Yunkuro. Most of the time, if I see someone doing this I just think they are growing out their roots–doesn`t matter how it is styled that is just what it looks like to me when it is a fade highlight. Two-tone horizontal isn`t so bad, but you need a really good stylist to pull it off–too many people have a crooked line (even Kanako looks like she does!) so I prefer gradation with it.

Looks nice in photos, but not so nice in person. My opinion, even though it is negative. :(

August 17, 2010 / 11:53 pm

I think that’s a really valid point. It’s been around in regular hair dressing forever, but it seems more gals are wearing it so I felt it’s best to introduce it here along with blunt two-tone which is really the new trend.

I do agree it has the possibility of a fade looking like roots grown out, but sometimes I really like how it seems to brighten the face with the lighter color below. I prefer a more subtle fade most of the time. :up:

6. August 17, 2010 / 11:22 pm

PS. I wanted to say I like your new layout. It is very clean and easy to use! I like the more subdued colors :)

August 17, 2010 / 11:59 pm

Thank you! I was feeling a bit more simple :cheery:

7. August 17, 2010 / 11:57 pm

Mwahahahaha for once in my life my hair is on trend XD I personally love this look (surprise) and I’ve had both the blunt horizontal (red with blonde tips when I was 16) and the gradation I’ve got today, as long as it’s styled appropriately I think it looks cool! I would totally love to see what you do with yours ^_^

August 18, 2010 / 12:01 am

hahahaha you’re fabulous no matter what :heart: I really love how your hair looks, it’s dipped and more artful :upani:

Hmmm we’ll see. :up: I kind of light the light blonde at the bottom, since I don’t want to mess with my roots. Urgh dying my hair too much lately :-S

8. August 18, 2010 / 12:27 am

I actually prefer my hair one-tone only, I think it looks more royal :upheart:
    This trend is really cute, actually, I think nowadays the Gal style is so much more ‘for everyone’ in terms of hair and makeup, if pink, green, yellow hair appears on some time ago, people would freak out(at least on the west). :oops:
    I’m looking for your Daily Mitsu! I’ve made a post today which really reminds me you. :hearts:

Have a nice night, Mitsutsu!

9. August 18, 2010 / 12:28 am

oooh, look at me, i am so trendy!! got an apointment at the hairdresser saturday to attempt something similar! but with 3 colors!! i’m a bit scared, haha, hopefully it’ll turn out nice… i’ve been obsessed with that kinda peachy-almost-pink red shade i’ve seen on some gyaru recently and i want some in my hair!

nice post. i like hair posts ^_^

10. August 18, 2010 / 12:48 am

D= mannn. I did this my first year of high school… it was shorter though. I always miss it. >:0 BUT PEOPLE WERE INEXPLICABLY SOOOOOOOOO MEAN TO ME BECAUSE OF IT. I dont get it.

11. August 18, 2010 / 1:15 am

I really love this new style. I was thinking of new ways that I could incorporate some crazy color into my soon to be bleached hair and I love this idea! Just in time too, thank you!

12. August 18, 2010 / 1:30 am

HAHA i’m so happy. i found this girl (http://sidneydane.tumblr.com/post/329707588) a couple months ago right when i couldn’t decide if i wanted to chop all my hair off or not, she inspired me to let it grow out because it can acutally look cool. i’m happy it’s becoming more of a trend! i’d reall like to do some radical colour to have a 3-tone but…ah we’ll see.

13. August 18, 2010 / 3:12 am

i LOVE yunkoros hair! i was hoping to get some colour in my hair when i get exte when i *eventually* get to japan but am thinking maybe best find a job first then see what i can do :P i’d definitely try out all of the looks if i could though!!

14. kiki-sama
    August 18, 2010 / 3:38 am

I alaways liked the vertical two tone and the horizontal doesn’t look bad exept sometimes i feel that if you mix black with blonde it looks kind of weird and unatural since it look like their growing their roots out (like the salon example). The ones kumikky has and misaki izuoka are great though :smiley: they look really cute :happydance:

15. August 18, 2010 / 3:53 am

Love this post!!I’ve missed commenting your posts ToT I swear I’ll be back online soon!!!
    As for the hair…. part of me doesn’t like it but then i do :S haha
    Im liking Yunkuros and Momokos the best thou, ahh this is even more temptation to dye my hair:O I may have to dye my extensions blunt(purple) and then after a while my hair in grad(ash brown).I haven’t dyed my hair for about 2 years thou:S

16. August 18, 2010 / 4:22 am

I like this trend, it validates my mismatching extentions :mrgreen: Thank you for sharing!

I’ll miss the vertical two tone though :( I hope it might come back next summer..it’s more of a summer thing anyway

17. August 18, 2010 / 5:14 am

Im so not into it… :P
    Great for gals who havent done their roots in half a year LOL

18. August 18, 2010 / 6:18 am

some of them look really sexy, some just look I don’t know… like if someone needs to wash her hair. :curiousmo:

19. August 18, 2010 / 6:57 am

Get well soon Mitsu~~!! :cry:
    I think I really like the blunt horizontal two-tone better than the original vertical one~ I saw these extensions at Sally Beauty Supply this weekend that look A LOT like Yunkuro’s! :hearts: Since I’m planning on going dark again next month I was thinking of getting them just to liven up the look, but unfortunately they’re the kind you have to professionally weave in & I don’t know of any places around here that do good weaves! :cry:
    I’m loving Momoko’s hair though~ I might just go to the salon & have them do that since it looks like a relatively simple dye job :up:

20. August 18, 2010 / 9:10 am

It’s funny how the vertical two-tone looks so much more fresh in the West as horizontal graduated two-tone has been around some time now over here. The blunt horizontal definitely takes a head of gorgeous styled hair; otherwise, it can look less intentional and more “I’m too lazy to book another appointment with my colorist and my roots are crazy bad” :!:

Momoko really shines with dark hair on top so I hope she keeps this color for awhile. And of course, Misaki is adorable no matter what she does with her gorgeous hair. It’s seriously in amazing condition (in pictures anyway); I wonder if she’s had a Brazilian Blowout or some other keratin treatment.

21. Katrin
    August 18, 2010 / 9:38 am

what’s so great about this style is that if you only color the “downside” of the hair, you never need to worry about dying the roots. thats nice for us lazy people ^^

22. August 18, 2010 / 9:59 am

It’s taken me a little while to get used to this look but im growing on it! Im completely changing my hair and going this way too, pink to blonde!

23. Maki
    August 18, 2010 / 12:43 pm

I like the fade a lot better. It seems more…natural, I suppose? I’m not a huge fan of hair colors that look blatantly unnatural, such as pinks/purples/greens/blues (with certain exceptions – some people it looks fabulous on). I really like Momoko’s hair, maybe I’ll try out something like that next time I go back to the salon. :heartsmile:

24. August 18, 2010 / 1:33 pm

I really like the gradiation, I love the color blend that fades as you go down. For a long time I wanted to have black underneath and brown on top, but my hair is already dark brown so you could barely see the difference and I did not want to bleach my hair, so I stuck with “ordinary” highlights…

Extensions are a really good idea though they’re quite expensive out here as well. Eehh~

25. Marron
    August 18, 2010 / 3:26 pm

Now I kinda wanna get horizontal two tone graduation done on me. But with my black hair, I’m kinda worried it’s gonna stand out too much :worry:

26. August 18, 2010 / 5:33 pm

Aaah I looooove them all, so tempted to try even though I’ve just recently dyed my hair T_T

27. August 18, 2010 / 7:26 pm

Have you seen the hair of a kpop girl group called f(x) during their NU ABO promo phase? Pretty much all of the members sported the horizontal two-toned hairstyles you mentioned here. There was brown to red, Brown to blonde, Black to blonde…. While I personally am not a fan of f(x), one of the members, Krystal, had a really cool 2-tone hair style where she had 3 blunt choppy layers and her hair was dyed bluey/black with the last 3 inches or so of each layer bleached blonde. Sounds a bit weird but if you check out some pictures, maybe you’ll like it :) While I haven’t seen any gyaru models do a blunt choppy layer look with the two-toned colouring, I really think it would be awesome if some of them rocked it for especially Mode style!!!

28. August 19, 2010 / 12:59 am

I have to say that only Yunkuro pulls it off really well… All of the rest are kinda… I dunno. I don’t really like it. ^^; But of course they are all beautiful girls. And they can do what they like and look millions of times more gal than I am, LOL.

Anyways, I listed you under my “Links” section! I’m a new gyaru blogger, who is also new to the style itself and I hope you don’t mind! My hopes are if any other newbie gyaru stumble upon it that they will be able to find your blog, too! ^^

29. August 19, 2010 / 3:00 am

oh i like this trend… but mostly because i have it. natural asian dark brown hair + blonde horizontal twotone :D
    it’s not entirely new though, hoshiaya had this quite a while ago.
    maybe it’s just me but i don’t think yunkoro’s one is so nice… it washes out her face, with such dark tones
    momoko’s one is lovely though, saikou! so is the yumetenbo girl’s. i do quite like the pink/blonde combination too :) as seen on yumachi.

30. Fiona
    August 19, 2010 / 3:36 am

WHOA so many cool hairstyles! Thanks for writing this amazing article!
    I’m someone who can’t go two months with the same hair and I’m always looking for a subtle (or not so subtle XD) change to spice my hair up a bit :)

This gave me some great inspiration! I’ve been saving up for extensions for a while, and I’m thinking of a brown to black fade or an aubergine to black fade.. Although I must say that brown to yellow blond is looking amazing as well. Argh what to choose XD

31. August 19, 2010 / 9:02 am

You already know how much I adore two-tone :o
    I’m so tempted to do it myself, but it would probably turn out terrible haha

32. August 19, 2010 / 11:47 am

ahh this is perfect! I’m going to the salon soon because I’m going from blonde to brown..this would be a perfect way to go into being a brunette xD

33. August 19, 2010 / 6:21 pm

I’m wearing a gradation right now, just like the Yumetembou’s model one. Before that, I had a three-toned hair (dark brown-brown-blonde)! I also have the half of my bang died in pink, maybe too many things together? :P I don’t care, it looks cool :mrgreen: And for first time on my life, my hair is trendy! Haha~

34. August 19, 2010 / 11:43 pm

I wanna dye my hair…
    I like both of the pink tips at the end! They’re cute and pretty. :3

35. Sparklewolfie
    August 20, 2010 / 5:28 am

Middle school flashback!! Horizontal coloring was super popular in my middle school! It was called “tipping” though (as in dying the tips of your hair) even though it colored a lot more than just the tips. There were lots of platinum blond with black or hot pink tips (most common) but lots of other variations too! Personally I like the gradated ones more :3 Especially the unnatural colors!

I think this is a cute trend *u* and can’t wait to see what it becomes when it gets more popular!

36. August 20, 2010 / 7:29 am

I’ve been noticing this trend among the Fairy-kei and Mori gal subcultures for awhile now, they tend to favour pinks, purples and light green tips so i’ve been dubbing it “dip dyeing” all the while Haha. I would like to try it out, but my hairdresser was against it as it damages the hair quite abit as he needs to use bleach but the trend is so interetsing that I may just throw caution to the wind and try it out after all.

37. Grimmy
    August 20, 2010 / 8:04 am

Aw, I am sad to hear vertical two tone is old news, I only just got it! :x I really love that Hot Pepper pic on the left! I don’t know if I will follow this trend though. It can too easily be construed as really, really bad roots. :^_^;;:

38. August 20, 2010 / 2:32 pm

Its funny that Tori mentions these extensions being at Sally’s…I work at Sally’s and we’ve had the black/burgundy and black/blonde dipped extensions for YEARS now! I’ve always thought they looked pretty ugly in the package, but they look SO cute when incorporated in gal style.

39. August 20, 2010 / 3:39 pm

wow that looks so cool ! i’m thinking about trying it out, but my hair’s so fine. maybe i’m going to get some hair extensions :] thanks very much for these pics dear !

40. August 21, 2010 / 6:21 am

Hehe, I’m another one who has already been wearing this style for quite a few months now, not knowing about the trend – and I’ve had the same but with blonde and aqua a few years ago. I currently have very light (bleached) blonde hair up top, with the bottom dark/vivid purple.

I really like the examples above – especially the ones from Carry that have the bright colours. I don’t have any exts atm, so I’m tempted to book an appointment when I’m there…

41. Katrin
    August 22, 2010 / 4:32 pm

Gotta add I admire Aina’s style :loveword:

42. August 22, 2010 / 7:18 pm

looks so cool!~~ yunkuro and aina look amazing~~ the gradation ones looks more subtle.. i like^^ but if i did it here people would prob think my un-dyed roots have overgrown=__=” xx

43. August 25, 2010 / 1:19 pm

Momoko’s hair is to die for. I wonder if I could achieve that look with extensions so I dont have to fry my roots. I’m also thinking about getting a faux blonde bangs to snap in for a quick two tone fix!

44. Julie
    August 30, 2010 / 10:48 pm

it’s cute :heartsmile:

but like people said it’s not entirely new
    even in korea, f(x)’s victoria had the EXACT same hair as yunkoro for a while now, ever since spring…

45. September 4, 2010 / 3:06 am

this entry really inspired me to dye my hair :D
    So, i put a link to ur blog in my last post AND i dye my hair, so in the same post u can also see my “new” hair :)
    i’ll glad to know ur opinion and everyone who want to came to see me :)
    kisses!!! :*
    Oshi
    ps. sorry for my terrible english ^^

46. Camille
    September 7, 2010 / 12:16 pm

Absolutly like it !!! Maybe I will dye my hair too now. But I dont know cause they arent really long, and I want an unusual color … like blue, something really special … Im afraid to do it and see the result.
    Have you got some other pics about this kind of hair ??
    (excuse me for my english, Im french :))

47. January 1, 2011 / 12:12 am

I LOVE IT.
    I’ve been actually thinking about dying my hair like this. I have jet black hair and would love to contrast it with hot pink or red. Yunkuro’s hair looks really good.

48. Caity
    February 25, 2011 / 7:28 pm

getting my hair done tommrow and im doing this :D im so excited!

49. Karlaa
    March 6, 2011 / 7:32 pm

Hi!
    i LOVE the picture of the extensions that are all bright colors on the bottom!!! does anyone kn ow where I could buy these online???i really want the neon yellow ones in at least 20 inch!!!! please help me, im in Canada but am dying to get these

50. Sarah
    April 25, 2012 / 7:51 pm

Funny, vertical two-tone is coming out of date but that’s how I’m wanting to dye my hair. I just found out about this style, it’s not hip in the US. I’ve been dying my hair the other way for around 10 years now.

51. May 29, 2012 / 2:17 pm

The ombre trend with hair has been really big on a global scale for quite a while now, even with pastels. It looks really cute, but I don’t see it as a gyaru style per se, it’s big everywhere right now :)

May 29, 2012 / 3:37 pm

I did make this post two years ago ^_^;;