Let’s Mode Scarf Turban – Hair tutorial

A few different tutorials on how to tie and wear the Mode scarf turban popularized by Murua producer Momoko Ogihara. It’s so popular that Jelly called it the “ogimomo” style after Momoko Ogihara.

I’m going to show several different ways to wear it and one should suit your face shape and hair style :cheery:

As a note Momoko seems to have more of a heart-shaped face. Ena has an oval-shaped face, as do I. I’d love to see how this looks on other facial shapes. :stepup:

One of the great things about the scarf turban is your hair can be any length to do these.

You will need a long scarf and/or headband or bobbypins if you have bangs. That is all :up:

We’re going to be doing the vertical scarf turban or true “ogimomo” first as shown by Murua ladies

STEP ONE: Tie back your hair. Since my hair is relatively short and one layer I chose the looped in ponytail.

OPTIONAL STEP but recommended: Mori statement earrings

If you have bangs you can either bobbypin them back (shown)

Or use a handband to temporarily pull them back (recommended).

Rock out 5head. (or wherein we name the tutorial how-to-take-a-series-of-unflattering-pics) :worries:

STEP TWO: Take a rolled up scarf and place it under your bun and bring the tips outward (as shown)

STEP THREE: Make them cross

STEP FOUR: Now whichever is easiest for you right or left handed bring one up and the other down.

STEP FIVE: Cross them

STEP SIX: Tie a double knot behind your bun. Slip off headband and tuck in bangs.

How it looks shown from the side.

Some of the Murua girls let their bangs down instead of severly pulled back. Also you can use this look with a side ponytail.

Alanna of VivaRilakkuma tweeted me her results. She also has an oval face. Looks fab with her glasses :upheart:

Anyone else try it out? Send me them and I’ll post it with a link to your blog :heartshake:

Momoko Ogihara demonstrating the technique herself in the August issue of Jelly.

Hair down Scarf Turban

It’s also been popular to do a similar look with hair down. Shown on the gorgeous Detsu Korohi :heartshake:

Now brands have come out with premade versions of this, but well why buy more when you have a scarf at home :up:

Straight hair, a bit blah don’t you think :sage:

This time we’re using a long narrow scarf.

Same method as before

Finished off. A lot more interesting than just straight hair :up:

From the side. I’m sure you guys can make yours a lot less messy :worries:

Same thing done with hair that was curled the previous day.

Ta-da scarf turban with wave hair. (and me creepily staring off into space)

Other new scarf tricks

Jelly teaches the more traditional scarf turban that Ena Matsumoto sometimes does.

Using a similar scarf will also give you the pirate scarf look which Jelly did in their September issue.

Or the scarf bow done to the side instead of worn like a headband.

Well phew that was a lot of unflattering pics :evil: , but hopefully you got a few scarf tutorials to try as we try to transition into Fall. :worry:

Is your usamimi feeling dated?

If it’s long enough, like my w♥c one. Then you can also do the “ogimomo” turban with it, too :stepup:

1. September 16, 2010 / 12:28 pm

awww nice : D good idea to do a scarf tutorials since it’s a quiet nice autumn/winter accessoire.
    I do momoko’s stile quiet often lately, it’s just sad that I don’t have pierced ears D: earrings are such a nice detail :depressed:

September 18, 2010 / 8:31 am

No pierced ears? I am kind of curious how to make it pop without earrings. That would be tough :^_^;;:

• September 22, 2010 / 9:00 am

it doesn’t look as good as with earrings…but it’s outstanding anyways : D
        I show you a pic of how I combine it when I wear it next time

2. September 16, 2010 / 12:37 pm

Ultimate post! Thanks ! Gonna try right away!
    Btw you look gorgeous! Every style suits you<3

3. September 16, 2010 / 12:38 pm

I’m not a fan of this whole scarf trend. I like them as headbands, but that’s about it. I really don’t like the turban look. But that’s just me. I know it would look horrible with my face/head shape!

4. September 16, 2010 / 12:53 pm

Thank you for showing this! I was wondering how the hell she tied the scarf! XD
    I’ll have to try this after I get my new hair cut (^O^)

5. September 16, 2010 / 12:54 pm

Looks interesting! :hearts3:
    Thanks for sharing :roll: and all the explanations :bow:
    I have a big scarf, so I’ll try to do it soon! 8B

6. September 16, 2010 / 12:56 pm

looks nice :!:
    i like these scarf tutorials. :korila:

7. September 16, 2010 / 12:57 pm

I have to try this out soon, but I’m not sure I have any mode-style clothes to match >.< Great tutorial!

8. September 16, 2010 / 1:35 pm

I love it! Thank you! ^___^
    I’ve been looking a lot in that Jelly issue! It has some really good tips! I love the scarf trend soooo much!

9. September 16, 2010 / 1:35 pm

Ahhh such a cool post thanks :D

10. September 16, 2010 / 2:00 pm

Now I’m so going to buy a scarf just to do this .Thanks.

11. September 16, 2010 / 2:04 pm

I love scarfs and this is a great tip of how to make a stylish look with them.

I MUST TRY IT!!!

12. September 16, 2010 / 2:11 pm

Please show how to do scarf bow :upheart:

13. Cimone
    September 16, 2010 / 2:16 pm

Thanks so much for the post- I always buy so many scarves for winter, and I never know what to do with them!

14. September 16, 2010 / 2:20 pm

OMG just when I was thinking about trying out the scarf turban trend! Thanks for showing me how to do it properly! I’m still on the fence bout it cuz of my face shape but then again, what harm could I do by juz attempting it?

Haha, nice Chanel scarf there in your demonstration pics! and noticed u finally cut ur hair to get the straight banga again

15. September 16, 2010 / 2:21 pm

Oooh~ Those all look so fun to do!! And so cute also!! I can’t wait to try it~ :D :D

16. September 16, 2010 / 3:33 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! I can’t wait to give it try! I’m probably gonna wear this tomorrow! ~

17. September 16, 2010 / 3:44 pm

WOW! Good timing, I literally just did this last night for my sister’s birthday! Here’s a photo, I did it with hair down and bangs down, but I think it would have been better with my bangs up now that I look back at it.

I also REALLY like this because I have to wear my bangs back pretty much everyday at school (I have two dance classes first thing in the morning), so this is great for me! I just need a plethora of scarves now!

18. September 16, 2010 / 4:24 pm

Woah!! This is way cute, love it!
    You don’t know how many ugly hair days this is going to save me when it starts to get rainy here, haha…

19. Nana
    September 16, 2010 / 5:45 pm

I loved the scarf turban with wave hair! Definitely going to try these during those days my hair frustrates me :superhappy: Thank you for posting this. really useful :hearts2:

20. September 16, 2010 / 7:00 pm

Love this tutorial. Thanks so much!! :yayyay:

I’ve seen loads of ready-made ones in L.Chance and places like Donki – the Donki ones just looked cheap but I guess it’s helpful and worth investing in if you don’t have any scarfs and want to do this trend.

Shhh you look gorgeous in these pics :)

21. September 16, 2010 / 8:50 pm

I’m not big on the turban thing since I personally think I look like an idiot with it but you looked pretty darn cute! Well, doing pic tutorials usually results in less-than-stellar expressions but that’s ok hahaha. The last two styles however (the last two before the usamimi picture I mean) just made me laugh XDDDD Sorry. But the more traditional scarf styling makes one look like a runaway pirate while the bow on the side option reminds me of drunk salarymen with their necktie bandanas LOOOOOL.

ps. Love your nails – they look absolutely fab!

22. September 16, 2010 / 10:00 pm

Thanks so much for posting this~ :heart:

I’ve always like the look of the scarf turban but I’ve never actually tried it myself~
    I’ll have to give it a whirl soon~ :happydance:

And sweetheart, your “unflattering” pics are what the rest of us aim for when we want to take good ones!

Thanks again for this~ I especially love all the scans you put up :stepup:

23. September 16, 2010 / 11:53 pm

ohhh must try it out! I think it’s propably not going to flatter my features but we’ll see ! :D

24. Justine
    September 17, 2010 / 12:55 am

I’ve stayed away from doing this but I think it just might work with my oval face! thanks so much!

25. September 17, 2010 / 3:04 am

I like all the turban stuff only with down hair or at least with the bangs down. With all the hair pulled back, I think the style make girls look older!!! g_g My favourite style is the scarf bow, by the way. A friend of mine tried it yesterday and it looked so big and… bowtastic!

26. September 17, 2010 / 3:05 am

OMG when you wear this scarf with wave hair, this absolutely GORGEOUS !
    I love it, I will definitely try it. I have an oval face as well, we’ll see how it works ^^

27. September 17, 2010 / 3:15 am

Oh what a nice tutorial! I wish I could pull that look off, it looks nice on you! And the Jelly girls as well, I always end up looking like some cleaning lady or so ._.”

Maybe that link is useful for you? http://www.jaimemoncarre.com/#/home/ It’s Hermès approach to the scarf trend, with a lot of how-to’s, I found it in a magazine yesterday!

28. September 17, 2010 / 6:42 am

I hate that you posted this AFTER I sold my wc usamimi, haha! :x
    Best scarf turban tutorial ever though, so thank you~! :heart: I was going to attempt the one in JELLY but got too lazy to walk myself through the steps, haha! This seems so straightforward though~

29. September 17, 2010 / 8:19 am

I love it!
    Thanks for the tutorial, I will try it! (I have to buy a nice scarf first)
    I don’t know if I will sucess to maintain it on my head if it slips :S

30. September 17, 2010 / 9:10 am

:worry: it’s awesome how you can pull the turban look off!! :heartshake:
    I tried it for fun just now and it looked so ridiculous… I guess it’s not really made for my weird chubby facetype :worry: but it was a lot of fun to try it, so thank you for the lovely tutorial! :smiley: [and I love the emoji you have here:heart:!!]

31. Mya
    September 17, 2010 / 11:28 am

Oooh so kawaii! I cant wait to ty this!! This will probably be especially good for bad hair days!!!

32. September 17, 2010 / 12:03 pm

Amazing tutorials! I don’t think I’d suit this look but I still want to try it hehe :smiley:

33. naw
    September 17, 2010 / 6:10 pm

your blog is really cool with so much information thank you
    and your eyes are beautifull

34. September 17, 2010 / 11:08 pm

Thank you for sharing these tutorials, they are very useful and easy to follow! I don’t have any scarfs to do these with, but you are so right the turban adds lots of cute interest to straight hair!

35. September 18, 2010 / 4:04 am

So many different looks! Thanks so much for such an awesome tutorial! I think the bow is still my favorite scarf style :D

September 19, 2010 / 9:56 pm

Awwh it’s lovely to hear from the diy mistress and if I had to guess I would’ve said the bow was your fave heehee!

36. chrnos
    September 18, 2010 / 8:12 am

thanks for teaching me something new! it was much easier to figure out than i expected. :]

September 19, 2010 / 9:52 pm

I was so confused at first. But it was easy! Yay for easy hair!

37. September 18, 2010 / 3:50 pm

Thanks for this XD I didn’t realise how simple it was to achieve.

September 19, 2010 / 9:51 pm

Yup super simple! Hope you enjoy your results!

38. September 19, 2010 / 4:32 pm

Hey~ you have been awarded the One Lovely Blog Award, please come and claim it =) !

39. September 19, 2010 / 5:34 pm

you are so awesome mitsu! i love this scarf mode look trend so much, you look great with both hair down and up. and the tutorials are so easy to follow! where do you get your scarves by the way? i can’t seem to find the right looking mode-ish scarves anywhere.. i always find the “scene-ish” typical zebra print and leopard print scarves (not like the ones you have in your example), and i kind of want to avoid that ..maybe i should look harder..

September 19, 2010 / 9:25 pm

Awwwh thank you for the sweet words I’m undeserving but I’m so happy you though so!

The three I’m using in this post 1 i from wc one is from Zaragoza and the other is thrift. Thrift stores are such a good resource. And so chea. Although you can never know a store’s supply ><;;

40. September 20, 2010 / 11:37 am

When these first started poping up i really wasn’t keen,but i think the more i’ve seen Momoko the more I’ve been converted.Shes too beautiful.
    Its so easy too:Dthank you for posting it!
    These aren’t unflattering at all ,you look so sleek and gorgeous :) (and I want all your scarfs!!)

41. September 20, 2010 / 4:17 pm

I wanna try that so bad now! :rila:
    I love all the little faces that I can add in the comment! Just thought I’d let you know!

• September 21, 2010 / 6:56 am

I’ll post better picture soon! :-)