Spiral Girl Playful Military for AW 2010

Spiral Girl is one of my favorite brands and they’ve carried over their pop gal concept into this season mixing military. Spiral Girl doesn’t take itself too seriously and that translates well into their bold catalog.

SPIRAL GIRL details:
katakana: スパイラルガール
style: pop gal, trend
website: http://www.spiralgirl.jp/
webstore: http://store.roomy-s.jp/shop/spiralgirl
number of stores: 28 stores (3 in Tokyo) + 1 outlet + 1 store in Hawaii & 1 store in Taiwan
since: 2004
this season’s concept: None stated
what it’s really this season: Military and 90s grunge themes with bold red x olive combinations
model: Kiko Mizuhara 水原希子 (Vivi model)

Fall 2010 gyaru trends featured from Spiral Girl: chino pants, badges, nordic print, military, chunky knits, fuzzy black and white sweater, printed tights, olive, red, shoulder stole, brown leather x sheepskin, fur boots

Spiral Girl AW Catalog

Sorry for the repeats, but I wanted to be able to show the best view of all the items. :worry:  I really like this catalog, not exactly because of the styling, but the great idea of an editorial shot and then a more shopping catalog shot next to each other. Being able to see how each piece actually looks without background or modely poses is such a wonderful idea :butterfly:

Spiral Girl this season is mixed for me. There’s things I must buy and then things I would never ever buy. I would buy the entire outfit of the blazer x dress outfit in the 3rd coordinate shot. I also really love the sheepskin jacket and over the knee boots in the American flag coordinate. :heartshake:

Spiral Girl Shop Staff in Fall Coordinates

In the Egoist post many of you commented on enjoying the shop staff photos (thank you I do listen :waves: ), so I tried to hunt down a few. Not as many this time all from the Spiral Girl Shinsaibashi OPA store in Osaka (blog).

Great use of the leopard scarf to give this look some print interest.

Cute badge blazer and leopard hat combination

The blouse dress is a repeating theme from their Winter & Spring collections, but it is still in trend now. Interesting use of a mannish boot with a girly outfit.

A way shop staff try to pair a Winter item with a Spring look since this is one of the worst months in Japan heat-wise.

The knit bow stole was from their Winter collection as well, but looks to be a great alternative to a poncho :heart2:

Again shop staff trying to sell a Spring/Winter mix with the olive pant yet summery flowy shirt

Opinions?

After seeing some Spiral Girl from the exhibition post are you pleased or disappointed seeing the full catalog?

I admit feeling kind of meh just because my two favorite pieces of their collection: the military nordic print dress and over-the-knee boots were already shown. However, I can’t wait to get in store next month and do some purchasing of those pieces :stars:

1. September 1, 2010 / 5:28 pm

Oh man, that first picture I need the guitar and crown in my life asap!! :busy:
    Im loving those folded down studded boots too but like you I’m rather mixed, not keen on military things

The kint bow stole is so lovely, but how does it stay on you? :curiousmo:
    I can imagine it might fall down a lot

2. September 1, 2010 / 5:34 pm

I’m not crazy about their fall line up. D: ” While I do really like some items, most of it I don’t think I would or could ever picture myself wearing. It’s just too dark for my tastes. I’m also not a fan of how they paired some of the pieces either; some of it in my mind just does not go. P: Maybe that’s what is drawing me away from it.

3. September 1, 2010 / 6:12 pm

Personally loving military this fall & I actually appreciated how they did some of the Nordic print pieces, so I like this one a lot :heart: The one thing I can DEFINITELY do without is the poncho/hat/scarf/knit/weird thing in the 4th photo set down… Just… NO :worry:

4. September 1, 2010 / 6:15 pm

I immediately fell in love with the crownin the first pic XD OMG i want one hahaha
    About the line, the piece i enojyed the most were the knee high boots with straps. I MUST have a pair :korila: . The rest is cute, but still i didn’t get that feeling of falling in love with a style or coordinate -3- Besides, i can’t picture myself wearing those. Maybe it’s because the way the matched the pieces. Again, enjoyed the staff pics a lot<3

5. September 1, 2010 / 6:22 pm

The first two looks are definitely my favorites, though I agree with you about the “meh-ness” of the rest of the catalog coordinates. Thankfully, the shop staff do a much better job of selling the collection to me than the catalog! I really like the staff looks with the short military pants and one black and white dress paired with tough-girl boots. 8D

6. September 1, 2010 / 7:48 pm

I really like the bow knit shawl, but I am not the biggest fan of military. Although these photos look great and I really like the editoral and catalouge side by side concept. Some of the shoes are really cute too! Boots for the win… >w<

xox,
    b. of Depict This!

7. September 1, 2010 / 9:33 pm

Spiral Girl is really winning me over. Firstly, all the shoes. And I love all their Nordic style stuff, I am really a huge fan of it all. I want it all!!

8. Diyana
    September 1, 2010 / 10:07 pm

Since I live in a tropical country, I like the mix of S/S with A/W~~ Inspirations for me!

9. September 2, 2010 / 1:03 am

i am so not a fan of the nordic print that seem to be everywhere this season… *sigh*

the rest of it looked nice though. and the staff-chan look cute :korila:

10. September 2, 2010 / 1:59 am

Pfff…there´s something that doesn´t convince me…I loved Egoist but I don´t know what to say about Spiral Girl :(
    I love staff photos too!! They wear great coordinates! :-D
    Thank you so much for all this work!! :heart:

11. ThomasVye
    September 2, 2010 / 3:21 am

:hearts: I have a similar hood/scarf thing and I LOVE it, I wear it all the time even though it’s too hot for it really… :hearts:

I think their collection is really good! :sunny:

12. September 2, 2010 / 7:00 am

I love it! I’m not really feeling mode this winter so I’m happy to jump on the nordic bandwagon. I bought the nordic military dress a few weeks ago and it’s just BEGGING to be paired with a fur stole and maybe cuffs. I wish the weather would hurry up and change. You’re dead on with the photo balance in the catalogue, much better than many other collections.

13. September 2, 2010 / 8:17 am

I liked the 4th picture coordinate best I think. Maybe it was the hat that attracted me most though, I just love those navy type hats. Some things I think are cute but would look ridiculous on me like that nordic print skirt with suspenders. Overall I like it, but there’s really nothing I need for my wardrobe^^

14. September 2, 2010 / 8:19 am

I really love the scarf/hat combo in the 3rd shot and those white boots. I agree with the styling, I like seeing the blank canvas of the clothes without all the model-y poses and background…nice to judge whether I would really like something or not :)

15. September 2, 2010 / 8:43 am

Spiral Girl doesn’t do much for me this Fall… Personally I find it looks blend more than anything else. I do like the high boots though!

I find the shop staff coordinates better than the ones the model is wearing. Thanks for posting them! :)

16. September 2, 2010 / 10:35 am

Those OTK boots are killer and I LOVE that shearling jacket. I wish I knew how chintzy the faux leather looks in real life because otherwise the cut is perfect. :hearts:

17. September 2, 2010 / 11:08 pm

I’ve loving the Spiral Girl collection. It’s fun, feminine and fierce! My favourite piece is definitely the military coat with the fur cuffs. I love the idea of pairing mannish items with more feminine pieces like the staff does in the 3rd photo :-D

18. September 3, 2010 / 12:15 am

Spiral girl collection is awesome! But i like the fox tail, it’s going to be a real hot item in Fall

19. September 3, 2010 / 12:44 am

A. I need nordic tights :D

B. That striped sweater with the fur sleeve detail is love :heart:

C. that jumper is simply adorable too. I loves it all :D The catalog isnt like WOW but it isnt..GARABAGE either, its entertaining for a flip through or too whilst on the loo…

im just being honest…:D

20. Mia C
    September 3, 2010 / 12:56 pm

Wow, I really don’t like the catalogue at all. I even think alot of the items look unflattering to the model, so oshit for on me. The idea is nice, I like military but it just looks bland and meh from my view points. Nothing grabbed my attention or made me want to buy it.

The staff look good and I like what they’ve done but there just something lacking with it in my opinon O_O

21. September 3, 2010 / 3:02 pm

knit bow stole = WANT NOW
    wow~

rest of the looks? ………………… :worry:

22. Manuela
    September 3, 2010 / 8:20 pm

For me spiral girl is a cheaper brand to find some interesting things, but i prefer other brands with more personality.

23. Maria
    September 13, 2010 / 1:52 pm

I really love the coordinates. I think my favorite piece was the military nordic print dress, but I must say that I was instantly attracted to the staff’s footwear.