Disco Nail Salon, new nails & meeting Momoko Ogihara

I was browsing around beauty.hotpepper.jp for a nail place, and wasn’t really sure what to do. Then I ran across a salon named Disco and their work was so different and thoughtful that I just had to try this salon out.

Enough blathering how about some nail pictures!

The nails are Piet Modrian, Miu Miu and Jeremy Scott influenced done in some of my favorite colors for Fall: mustard and khaki which she mixed herself.

She only does gels, which I decided to switch to. I still love giant gal acrylic nails, but after seeing so many shop staff with gels I was swayed over. Shop staff gel to acrylic ratio is like 80:20 in most shops. Or 70:10:20 (20 for nothing).

Also, Acrylic nails straight for a 1 1/2 years had really done a number on my nails, so gel making them stronger was great. Gel is cheaper as well. :smiley:

Disco’s work

If you’ve noticed it’s more of her style to either do amazing detail work, or do nails that are taken from art, high fashion and pop culture.

Since the Hot Pepper ad has since been taken down, here are a few of my favorite samples from her blog

Minx x Picasso influenced

Playing with fall colors and designs

Actual feathers geled into the piece.

Disco itself

The salon is set inside an apartment building (same one was Eye Candy) just 4 minutes away from Shibuya 109. It’s just simply a small waiting area and 1 chair. So if you call up Disco and make an appointment you’ll get the wonderful Coco and be the only one there. It’s been rainy and cold so the private cosy, dimly-lit atmosphere was so relaxing.

She loves retro stuff so the whole time I was there she had a dvd of earlier Madonna’s videos. Since I’m a Madonna fan I was so happy. :upheart:

I had such a lovely time there. We talked about Mexican iconography, art, retro items, guys, our past history. I felt the whole time there like we saw very eye to eye.

There’s owner and nailist Coco Nagi in front of her inspiration wall and kitschy cute Disco sign.

Her own nails :heart2:

Disco Details

blog: check out her amazing work on her blog http://ameblo.jp/nagicoco/

location: 4 minutes walk away from Shibuya 109. If you’re facing 109 take a left and pass Earth and KFC then find Feel-A. If you’re making an appt feel free to msg me and I’ll give you exact directions. :upheart:

cost: She charges by the hour not by parts, so you can do whatever part wise. She has a very large gal selection if you’re interested in that. She has 7 years experience working at an OL salon and 4 working at a Shibuya gal salon so she’s very experienced. First time visit should run you around 7500 yen.

call: 030 3464 7831

Meeting Momoko Ogihara

If you missed my gushing on twitter. Hana of Finding Tokyo and I were in Shinjuku for shopping & drinks and we’re browsing through Lumine EST. We go to Murua and the store looked pretty cleared out and I was like, “Wow, shame so little merchandise.” But I turn around and BOOOM, a person who looks like Momoko Ogihara is behind me. So I ask Hana and she’s like omg it’s her.

But I couldn’t be sure. The lengths some staff girls go, especially in Murua/EMODA/W♥C to look and style themselves from the producers is insane. :worry:

So I ask a shop staff and she says yes and so I’m officially freaked out.  So the shop staff is giggling about me freaking out, but then sends Momoko Ogihara over to talk to us. I was reading her twitter earlier that day and I noticed she was coming from Nagoya to Shinjuku, but I just thought via shinkansen on the way home. So I told her that and laughed. I told her she had many fans overseas.

Hana “claims” I was speaking a mile a minute. When I promise in my head I was freaking out and examining every beautiful facet of her make-up and skin and look.

She is absolutely the same gorgeous lady in person. Not only that she was very warm and nice. She asked our names, if we lived in Japan, and other things. Even though it was a store event, she didn’t have to come and talk to us. Also, she gave us several minutes of her time that she didn’t have to. Even as we stood talking, and after we took our picture, she made no attempt to leave us. I was more too nervous and had to escape LOL :worry:

I’ve been to the Sakurina instore event at Buffalo Bobs and there she was behind rows of security guards and had a stylist shadowing her making sure every curl was in place. If only you bought a special store item you could talk to her. No photos. No anything else. So to see a much bigger star in Momoko Ogihara (I’m sorry gal ladies, but ex Vivi model with 20 successfully produced stores makes her high up) be so welcoming and nice, it was a wonderful shock.

I told her I follow her blog and twitter everyday and will continue to do so. She made me even more of a fan. :heartshake:

As a disclaimer for this photo it was a pretty crappy and stressful week. Tokyo is being hit by two typhoons, one of which I had to trudge through back and forth to school. So attempts at hair were dashed and I was still a bit under the weather.

I was just dressed to drink not to be fabulous :evil:

Although to be honest, the surprise of the event made it even more special. So I REGRET NOTHING!

The photo of us. :cheery:

Now my goal is to meet Chinatsu Wakatsuki and Ena Matsumoto to complete my producer goddess trifecta :upheart:

Yesterday was fabulous, we also found a fab cheap but fancy izakaya. Hana took pics that I’m sure she’ll share.

1. October 30, 2010 / 12:24 am

Ok you win. You are the greatest. Haha! I am really glad you were able to meet Momoko in such a comfortable one on one sort of situation. It sounds like she is just as lovely inside as she is on the outside. Don’t even say a thing about the photo, it is precious and beautiful just like you! Are you wearing a union jack neck tie? If so, I will steal it the very instant you are not paying attention :busy:

Your new nails are sooooo cute, I love the colors you choose because it really makes them pop. Coco’s nail work looks really sweet, I would love to get some nails by her but my next trip’s budget’s going to be so restricted :sage:

Well when I am there, spread some of your good juju to me so I can meet some gyaru celebrities too! :wink:

2. October 30, 2010 / 1:28 am

Yay, you’re so lucky!!! When you met one of your idols it’s like… um… living a fantasy for a few moments! It’s like being in another world :love:

And… um-em agh-catsonyournails-*cough*-ican’tbreath!!! :superhappy: :hearts2: :!:

3. October 30, 2010 / 2:03 am

Nice brush with fame! Wouldn’t it be so cool if she mentioned you on her blog?

And I love your nails. I think you might have sent me over the edge, I’m gonna look up salons now. I thought I was doing well to get a manicure and colour but I love what you got done. I don’t know the first thing about gel nails thoughm time to study!

4. October 30, 2010 / 2:30 am

Ohhh.. I LOVE your nails! And the ones with actual feathers in them too, so amazing!
    It’s not the conventional ‘jap’ nails you see around. SO pretty and interesting! :heart: :bow:

5. October 30, 2010 / 2:45 am

those nails are soo so divine i spent quite a long time looking at them! coco’s meticulous work is amazing
    and ahh i totally have a good idea how you felt meeting momoko she looks sooo gorgeous too i’m quite jealous!

6. October 30, 2010 / 4:03 am

Very cute nails! I really like the design and Coco looks like a very nice and warm person ^^
    And it’s realy great that you met one of your idols :)
    Hopefully you’ll meet the other ones too:p good luck with that haha ;)

7. Judy
    October 30, 2010 / 8:25 am

your nails are so cute and unique! i never saw nails like that before~~ i like it!! ^^ and there’s even cats on it haha so cute~~~
    and wow so lucky! momoko looks so pretty~~ and im happy to hear that she’s really nice!! that makes me like her more too hehe~~ :korila:

8. October 30, 2010 / 8:33 am

Mitsu, we’ve missed you!! :hearts:
    Your new nails are FABULOUS~ I love the colour palette & the mix of patterns. That nail salon sounds like an awesome place to go & their work definitely speaks for itself :up:
    & I don’t think I need to tell you how jealous I am of you & Hana meeting Momoko… DYING RIGHT NOW :korila:

9. October 30, 2010 / 8:59 pm

I love the cats with the polka dots! She is so talented *is amazed at the moment*

Thank you for sharing such amazing art :smiley: :rila:

10. October 31, 2010 / 3:23 am

I will be so happy for you if you ever get to see Ena Matsumoto!! Go make it happen! :D
    Didn’t u think of asking Momoko to sign on the polaroid? :P

11. October 31, 2010 / 3:47 am

Love the nails, very unique and the cat is so cute :hearts:

As you already know I am super jealous of you guys. I wish I had come along too!

12. October 31, 2010 / 6:39 pm

You’re so lucky to have met Momoko! I am so mad jealous! It’s very reassuring to know that not only is she a gorgeous, gorgeous lady, but that she’s also a nice one! I wouldn’t have even had the guts to talk to her :^_^;;: She’s soo pretty!

Also, love the nails! They are sooo cool! Next time I get my gels done, I’m going to get something creative like that done. It’s very unique!! :up:

13. November 1, 2010 / 8:33 am

Those nails are lovely and the salon sounds like a great place
    I love the designs, and much kudos for her to mix colours!
    and also the nailists ring is awesome!

Im still in awe of you meeting her!
    But dont you be meeting Chinatsu without me hehe :wink:

14. November 1, 2010 / 11:29 am

Such beautiful nails. :) And wow… such luck to meet Momoko Ogihara! I am so jealous… and you have a picture with her – so fabulous!

15. Myu
    November 2, 2010 / 12:49 pm

Omg! That must have been so exciting to meet one of ur idols like that! I’m sooooo happy for u! And dont worrry bout u being nervous! I think u didi great. Cus I know if i would have meet one of my idols i woulda been like uhhhhhh….

16. November 2, 2010 / 2:10 pm

Hi there. you have a cute blog! i’m still new to blogger so i am still figuring out how to make my blog cute.. hehe.. the nails are awsome! i love kitties.

17. November 3, 2010 / 12:51 pm

awwww I love all ur nails!!!
    first one are soooo cute and second one are just amazing! picasso inspiration! haha love it<3

18. Musii
    November 3, 2010 / 4:16 pm

I am in love with your nails!! I’m a huge Mondrian nerd, haha. :love:

19. November 9, 2010 / 11:52 am

Cute nails..!

20. scarletferovr
    November 11, 2010 / 10:55 am

wow wait really? gel is much more expensive than acrylic here in NYC which is why I get acrylic even though gel is better for your nails and less toxic. I wish that were the case here that gel was cheaper.

21. December 31, 2010 / 3:18 pm

I need gel nails like ASAP. O_O; those are sooo gorgeous!!!!