Trendwatching: Bear & Cat ears

A super fun and zany fashion styling thanks to gal this season. The S/S 2010 season was all about rabbit ears, but now Chinatsu Wakatsuki has gotten her way and we’re living in a bearverse. :kumatan: In late December of last year w♥c released a bear eared coat that seems to have carried love to this season. You can see the cute coat in question on the cute Samispoon.

Now there are lots of bear items by gal brands that make their own trends, not just reproduce. So let’s check them all out, if you can bear with it… har har (god I love stupid puns :yayblush: )

w♥c

From the w♥c F/W MOOK, Chinatsu is rocking the bear eared vest in a more trendy brown fur. Coat of the same cut also available in stores right now :star2:

Bear eared headband. So silly, but so cute at the same time. I don’t think I’m ever fabulous enough to pull it off. Anyone wanna try? :heart2:

W♥C shop staff from Osaka and Tokyo showing off their new bear coat for this season. :cheery:

OneSpo

OneSpo has always been known for their love of costume and keeping looks playful so they have produced lots of bear items that suit their feminine style. :stars:

Modeling their version of the bear eared fur coat. Toggles are popular from last year, but hopefully you can tell the leopard print is a little different.

The leopard print that’s often trending lately is more of this beige/camel Clouded Leopard styling that fits the more camel and feminine trends this season.

Now this is obvious cat ears, only OneSpo has been doing the cat but I think it’s adorable.

Shown on AKB48’s Ikano Tomomi (板野 友美) for 109 online’s store Tomo @ 109 emag. These sold out immediately on-line.

A  OneSpo shop-staff modeling her black one.

All the 3 colors available. So cute!

Not just cat ears, this silly bear ear headband is also available by One*Spo.

LDS

LDS has decided to make their own cute pocketed one.

LDS is realllllly pushing this look. It’s the front entry accessory table on every LDS (Ueno ABAB, Shibuya 109, Shinjuku Lumine EST) you enter.

At 3,300yen (around $37.00) it’s really well priced and enough to enjoy for a season, but not regret if you don’t wear next season.

edit: Magda posted on her blog I Like Make-up all about finding a cheaper alternative online to the LDS sold out one. She also filled her post with other cute winter items, go take a look :rila:

Opinions?

Admittedly in the beginning seeing this trend develop I was very ambivalent about it. Or to put it simply I thought “meh”

Then the more w♥c casual started getting into my life the more I thought about it.

Also watching gals come in and try on the bear head/vest at LDS and everyone just looked so cute in it. :loveword:

Then I did, and I was like OMG THIS IS SO FREAKIN CUTE :korila:

….and now I think once we have another chilly day I might put down the silly money for it. :worry:

Another plus is most all bear/cat items I’ve seen are all fake fur, so for those who prefer to wear fake you’ve got a lot to select from. :stepup:

The only drawback to this trend is I haven’t really seen an otona-gal equivalent. I’d love to see how EMODA try to make this mode. :hearts3:

Sorry ladies it’s been a while between posts. I’ve been kept pretty busy with school and friends, it’s hard to jump back onto blogging when I get home and just want to zone out after eating. Hopefully y’all don’t think blogging is zoning out :^_^;;:

Posts and a new 100% from Japan giveaway planned this week. Next week I’m heading to Kansai so maybe some Kobe/Osaka/Kyoto reporting there :upheart:

1. Sheri
    November 7, 2010 / 12:19 am

the onespo leopard hat
    ( ;A;) I want it!!!!!!!

how can they be sold out…
    and unavaible to me….
    ~~~depression~~~ :cry: :sage::sage:

November 7, 2010 / 12:48 am

I know and it was soooo quick!
      It’s not sold out if you’re in Japan though and want one :hearts3:

If not maybe Ayame will show her DIY of it. :korila:

2. Ayame
    November 7, 2010 / 12:46 am

Soooo want those! But, I think they can be easily made at home. So I’ll opt to that~

November 7, 2010 / 12:49 am

I totally agree! It’d be a great DIY project. Along with the popular fur leg warmers. I have no crafting bone in my body but I’d love to see your results if you go through with it. :bowhouse:

3. November 7, 2010 / 1:09 am

first upfront, you’re going to kansai next week??? :smiley: sooo jealous!! :worry: I havn’t found the time to go for over 2 years now and I miss it soooo much:heart2: So I’m already looking forward to some kansai-reports! :yayyay: :upani:

and as for the bear-ear-hats! I see them around so much! :rila: and I’m always like ‘SO CUTE!!’, but I guess I can’t really combine one with the rest of my wardrobe :sage: really too bad!!

November 7, 2010 / 4:35 am

I love Kansai soooooooo much :heart: I try to go a few times while I’m in Japan. It really recharges you :heartshake: A friend of mine kept our vacay really cheap. Night bus + lockers + love hotels and we could stay there for 3500 a night plus food :hearts3:

I totally agree. I think we have similar sentiments on monotones mixed with bold colors at times. I think bear might get in the way, but I’m tempted to try. Everyone looks like adorable stuffed animals in them :korila:

November 7, 2010 / 4:37 am

Isn’t so awesome!

It’s 13400 yen. Midrange for a good thick coat, but still a save-up item :^_^;;:

I think you’d look amazing in it :stars:

4. November 7, 2010 / 1:20 am

I like the one from LDS and the bear eared fur coat from OneSpo :hearts: :mrgreen: :hearts: . I just got a fur hat from WEGO, so now I have to see if I can convince myself I need another :worry:
    What are you going to Kansai for?? Just traveling? :star:
    It’s still pretty warm for fur down here in Osaka unfortunately :x :worry: But the evenings are getting cooler :)

November 7, 2010 / 4:39 am

I get lost in WEGO everytime. I’m amazed you came out with something. It’s so hard for me to choose in there LOL

I just love Kansai so much more than anywhere else so I try to visit when I can. I’d love to live there sometime, but my friends are all in Tokyo so it’s so hard to break away. :sage: Last year I visited Kansai 4 times or such. I just love it :hearts2: The food, the people, the scenery :smiley:

• November 9, 2010 / 7:33 am

uwaayea! :hands: Kansai love :hearts:
        i’m always sad more people don’t live down here in kansai. its not as big as tokyo, but its just as fun i think:yayyay:
        enjoy your trip (i’m sure you will lol)!:smiley:

oh! btw, have you been to the WEGO shop in Osaka? :curiousmo: it’s huuuuuge..! :-S 7-stories or something:hands:
        they even sell bikes~ lol:cat:

5. Judy
    November 7, 2010 / 1:34 am

its so cute~~ i had always been a fan of bear eared hoodies~~ i have two hehe > u <" tho i want more~!! haha~~~ but i think the really furry ones are really adorable~!! ^0^ thanks for sharing~~

November 7, 2010 / 4:40 am

I think with fur the bear ears become unbeatable. Just such a hard combination to say no to hehehee :cat:

Happy to share fun clothes :yayblush:

6. va
    November 7, 2010 / 2:20 am

I like the look of them a lot but I couldn’t wear it out anywhere . It reminds me of a teddy bear costume . :cheery:

November 7, 2010 / 4:41 am

That was kind of my feeling at first and then I saw more and more people and it made me happy to see little teddy bears in short shorts prancing around :hearts2:

7. November 7, 2010 / 2:20 am

Aww I oddly love this trend even though I wasn’t much a fan of bunny ears! My favorite is definitely OneSpo take on leopard cat ears, SO ADORABLE, I want. D: I think the trend would be so cute on you :3

November 7, 2010 / 4:42 am

hehehee maybe the bear ears are more attached to a design rather than put on alone? It’s the continuity and uhhhh non-stick-out-ness (LOL)?

Thank you for thinking so, you might spur me into buying :heartshake:

8. November 7, 2010 / 3:20 am

I`ll do bear ears if you do~ Haha.

Here is a pic of Momoko Ogihara (not ena but still) with bear ears :D If she can rock it, so can we:

Or, at least, it gives you an idea right? :)

ps. I want to see your EMODA coat on Wed!!!

November 7, 2010 / 4:43 am

lol it does. Although Princess Tinyface can rock anything :loveword:

I’ll see what I can do. I do love my jacket :korila:

9. November 7, 2010 / 3:48 am

Really love these cat or bear ears :heart:

i have an hat with some ears now too :happydance:

and i love this hat :hearts:

XOXO :hands:

November 7, 2010 / 4:43 am

hahahaha you dressed for the post, bravo!! :wink:

10. Diyana
    November 7, 2010 / 4:32 am

Wearing those looks so comfy!!

November 7, 2010 / 4:44 am

I think that’s a big selling point for me. LOL I desire comfort :yayblush:

11. November 7, 2010 / 4:33 am

hmm… i’m kinda on the fence about it… this is one of the trends that i go “oh, this is so cute on doll-like j-girls, but it would look retarded on me.”

the bear ears on a headband look retarded on everyone though… my opinion! :p

November 7, 2010 / 4:45 am

LOL I dunno, you gotta try one on and then maybe you’ll be like “oh this is so cute on doll-like-gaijin-girls” :-D Although it is a bold statement.

I agree on the headband. Much too silly and the band showing looks cheesy. :icon_eek:

12. Sigrid
    November 7, 2010 / 5:12 am

i know this has nothing to do with the rediciously adorable ear trend, but hopefully that is ok :yayblush: :worry:

Do you happen to know if the outfit the one*spo staff is wearing (plaid onepiece/shirt with white knit sweater) is from one*spo? :heart2:

13. anna
    November 7, 2010 / 5:58 am

I think it’s really cute but I’m not sure I could pull it off :^_^;;: I would really like some of the pjs you can get that have the bear ears though (I think you can get whole suits lol) they look so comfy :hearts:

14. November 7, 2010 / 6:59 am

I think this trend is so funny and cute! And it finally gives me an excuse to wear my bear hat!! I don’t know how much I would wear the headbands, but the jackets are sooo cute! I want one as my winter coat, but I wonder how they would stand up to Canadian winters?? Anywho, cute post as always!! :mrgreen:

15. November 7, 2010 / 8:32 am

I think the animal ear trend is super-cute, but nothing I would wear myself. It’s probably because I used to wear cat-ears and stuff when I was emo, so I don’t want to get associated with that. Also, I think I’m a bit too old to pull it off.

16. November 7, 2010 / 9:23 am

Such a kawaii trend! I think I prefer the cat ears though with the leopard print :3
    xx

17. November 7, 2010 / 9:24 am

First when I saw this trend I was also very “meh”. But now I absolutely adore this trend and I’ve ordered one of those white scarf-hoodie-catears ones from Yumetenbo XD perfect for cold days!

18. November 7, 2010 / 9:28 am

Yea, that’s right, bear and cat ears in clothes are super cute *^____^* 2 little girls in my school are wearing armbands with cat ears and I admire them, cos it’s totally unusual in my country, and other people don’t accept it :<

19. November 7, 2010 / 10:40 am

Thanks miss for the link to my entry :D :up: :yayyay:

I only recently saw how long the new coat was and I have to say jacket ftw
    Though if I could afford it, like I’d pass up the chance haha :roll:
    and I was actually tempted by the ears when they were on sale haha but I dont think Id ever have worn them

The one*spo/LDS cat snoods are so cute! I can totally see you wearing one and your cats being confused :cat:

Can just give me the prizes?! rofl :wink:

20. Leah
    November 7, 2010 / 11:06 am

Waah, I love this! I was a little bit disappointed when I was going through this because I am anti-fur but reading your last comment brought up my spirits (Y) :mrgreen:

21. November 7, 2010 / 1:14 pm

YAYYYY for bears!!! :korila:
    A few days ago I found a very cute beanie in Zara, wich has two pompoms simulating bear ears! I was so happy (and surprised lol). I had no idea it was a trend among gals right now! Yeah babies nooooow I’m trendy :hands:

22. November 7, 2010 / 2:01 pm

Love this trend, but as others have said… kind of shy to wear it being 20 y/o :roll: Still, you insist it’s worth a shot to try, so maybe I will~

23. November 7, 2010 / 3:07 pm

Haha, I felt the same way about the w♥c bear headband~ I’m so not fabulous enough to pull that off!! :^_^;;: But I have to admit I do like the LDS version in grey. The leopard print ones are a bit overkill imho, but the solids are simple & cute enough to work with different things. The black one*spo version is pretty cute too~

24. November 7, 2010 / 3:27 pm

Oh my gosh!! I love the kitty ears! And ahaha those bear ear headbands remind me of these minnie mouse ears I bought a couple years back! Cute!

25. November 7, 2010 / 8:53 pm

Thanks for posting this! I’m going for more otona in my look, but these are too cute not to save up for a fun day. I’m also looking forward to seeing what Emoda does.

26. November 8, 2010 / 12:19 am

awww <3 so so cute and furry <3

27. November 8, 2010 / 7:15 am

I love the items that one*spo is putting out, they are just so cute and very girly. And I can see what you mean about the leopard fur being more subdued/sweet. Even the fur from rock brands like GLAD NEWS, tutuHA and JSG (they seem pretty much rock now) is not too yellowy and the spots are more brown than black.

I don’t have much leopard print (in brown) anyway so I won’t worry about changing it out, I’m not that much of a slave haha!

I don’t think I could pull off these really cute looks anymore, but the hats with the scarves attached look so warm for winter it’s hard to resist! XD

28. November 9, 2010 / 5:26 pm

This post has really inspired me!

29. November 10, 2010 / 3:27 pm

cutiie :korila:
    but definitely not me~~ i’m not cute enough~~ or brave enough~~

30. November 11, 2010 / 8:08 am

I saw these at some onlinecloth shop!! They were like €50 for a furry bear scarf~

31. November 12, 2010 / 11:45 pm

Those are so over the top and adorable. <333 I love one except that I'm so dead clumsy that I would get the fake fur dirty so fast~D:

32. Nana
    November 17, 2010 / 2:03 pm

Hi I was wondering do you know any sites that I can purchase the bear ear coat? Thanks!!

November 17, 2010 / 5:41 pm

No place yet, although I suspect they will be out on w :kumatan: c site and soon yumetenbou or galstar which copy designs