Jelly and Egg Make-up Rankings and Trends

Both Jelly and Egg have put out make-up rankings based on surveys. They differ, so let’s check out all the trending make-up and I’ll add some personal reviews on some of the products. :up:

This post is image heavy, so wait for items to reload. Jelly pages scanned by me.

Jelly – February 2011 issue – Rankings

They asked 500 models, Jelly Gals (the sub models that appear in street snaps), shop Presidents and shop staff.

For Jelly you’ll notice they’re added more expensive cosmetics along with their rankings. Since MAC make-up is sometimes 2x more expensive in Japan they’re really getting pricey in their purchases.

Also below on each page lists favorite items from each store.

MAC eyelashes in #7 still reign supreme (I’ve switched to #34, so in love with them).

I was surprised CandyDoll’s powder only got 3rd place.

I will caution against 1st place Biore’s cleanser/make-up remover. It’s incredibly drying and it doesn’t take off eyelash glue. :sage:

Jelly Make-up 5 big make-up news

\

1. Eyelashes and make-up are switching from concentrating on lower eyelashes, to working on cat eye and heavier upper lashes.

2. Using red lipstick daily.

3. Eyeliner has moved from the droopy eye to the cat eye. (this seems to be an all gal style trend)

4. Darker haircolor for a more adult look

5. Aiming for a more natural brow

What some models and shop-staff have changed to

Switching to brown eyeliner

Cat instead of droopy, with amount of eyeliner line to do

A lipcolor makes an image change

Natural eye + strong lip

Introduction of orange color for hair and cheek (your blogger included :upheart: )

Some new items that will be released or are released now.

I tried the MAC Champale collection. Loved the colors, hated the excess frost on all the items. Although their special highlighter looked great :stepup:

The red-pink rose color seems to be booming with a lot of brands. :heart2:

Egg – Make-up Rankings in January 2011 issue

Now the Egg rankings are NOT done by survey but just with Egg models. No everyday gals :worries:

Romihi looking gorgeous as always. Love this hair color/style on her.

Lots of gold-type cosmetics for eyes and even light gold color contacts that are popular as well.

Angelcolor Bambi series Chocolate

Candy Magic – King brown

Max Color – ヒャクパーbrown (which is Romihi produced)

Upper eyelash ranking

1. Diamond Lash Angel

2. Jewerich #3

3. DUP #902

I’ve been trying the Angel lately, and a lot of shop staff in 109 like this style. The Angel for me looks a bit too fake. I prefer Celeb, but they are still a good lash. :upheart:

Lower eyelash ranking

1. Diamond Lash – Baby

2. Jewerich #3

3. Dollywink #5

I’ve tried the Baby and that and the Diamond Lash in “Natural” are my top two Diamond lower lashes. Baby are a bit delicate however :worry:

MAC #45, wow. Even when I tan I’m an NC 20 at best :worry:

The rise of gel liner is really being shown by magazines recently. I left gel for the DollyWink liner (rated #2), however it’s not as dark as I want. Possibly heading back to gel liner (which is probably why so many models like it, gel tends to keep its original color after hours of wear).

I do like both Candydoll & MAC powder blushes, but it feels a bit sad that both magazines didn’t mention Canmake Cream Cheek. So cheap, so smooth, so buildable. Soooo worth a try :upheart: I’m on my second pot :waves:

MAC lipstick is also amazing in matte. Really conceals chapped lips, which is especially needed in this season. :worry: In the US 6 eyelash containers = a free lipstick because of their recycle program :yayyay:

Trends… will they go on?

Magazines love to do make-up rankings this season because clothing and hair are not really evolving right now.

Red lips: I have my doubts that the red lip will continue, but there seems to be a lot of red in the spring collections (next post), so that could indeed spur on more red lipstick. Although in the ads and spring catalogs it’s been more Spring-style baby pink and rose tints for the lips.

Brown eyeliner: Could be a bigger hit this season, although I’m a bit unsure how well it conceal lash lines with brown instead of black. :worry:

Cat eye instead of Panda eye: This has been a big growing trend within gal. I know some ladies live by the droopy eye, but it’s going a bit out of style. Even the Egg models who have always promoted the panda seem to be leaving it. Nemayayo used to leave quite a bit of white between her eye and bottom lashes, but above you’ll see she’s moved to a bit more black.

Lining the full eye, depends on the gal: If you’ll notice the Jelly girls are all doing the full eyeliner, but the Egg models are only lining half of their bottom.

I’ll try to publish my own rankings sometime this month. Although lately I’m really busy IRL with school and friends, so I blog when I can :smiley:

1. January 15, 2011 / 8:01 pm

MAC is twice as expensive?! 0_o I just bought a MAC gel eyeliner for $40 here in Australia, and I thought *that* was expensive!!

January 15, 2011 / 8:06 pm

That is expensive! You can check the maccosmetics USA site and compare prices, but yeah other than eyelashes which are only 3-5 US dollars more, items like foundation are very pricey in Japan. :worry:

2. navjeet
    January 15, 2011 / 8:09 pm

wow, such a info-packed post!! thanks!

3. PinkCanary
    January 15, 2011 / 8:13 pm

This post is amazing, Mitsu! It’s really incredible how drastic the GAL look seems to be shifting. I’m also curious about how many of this trends will be last within the GAL look. I’m happy to hear about cat-eye as I love that look. I can’t wait to hear more about this from you, although I understand you’re busy. This post is so informative, I’m going to bookmark it. Thanks again!

4. January 15, 2011 / 8:27 pm

Hey Mitsu! Great post as always :D! For cleansing, you vote against the #1, Biore, so what do you recommend? I wear false lashes everyday & have been using Biore’s cleansing oil cotton sheets which work out okay, but still leave a bit of lash glue on. I was going to buy the Biore cleanser (bc people claimed it took off glue), but now I’m doubtful! Hope to hear about what you have to say!

Also, omg sooo glad cat eye is back in!! I never followed the panda trend, mostly because I actually go out clubbing so if I have makeup too low on the bottom it will fall off my cheeks O__O!!

5. January 15, 2011 / 8:29 pm

Wahhh, brown eyeliners?! :worries: I’ve tried it with my fake eyelashes and it doesn’t really work! Maybe if the lash band was clear, it’d look fine. :korila:

But I’m totally all for gel eyeliner~ :hearts:

6. January 15, 2011 / 8:30 pm

I am secretly smirking at the red lips + dark hair trends, haha :mrgreen:
    But at the same time I’m like nuuu about the lower lash trend going down, just when I’m starting to experiment with it! :x I guess that’s just the way life is though, buu~
    Looking forward to seeing your personal makeup ranking though :heart2:

7. January 15, 2011 / 8:33 pm

Yaaay red lip! I don’t know if that trend will last either but I do love a bold color on the lips once in a while~ :3 It looks like very classic Hollywood glamour going on with the cat eyes, thick top lashes, and bold lip. And MAC twice as much over there!! I already thought MAC was expensive here in the states! I should probably invest and try out MAC one of these days >.>

8. January 15, 2011 / 9:36 pm

I’ve noticed girls here in general have been only focusing on their upper eyelashes, leaving the bottom ones pretty bare. I hope the cat-eye look sticks, since I just bought some new lashes perfect for that make that kind of look :hands:

I’ve been wanting a new liner, and seeing this makes me want to get a gel eyeliner from Mac or Maybelline…guess I’ll have to ask my mom to send them though, since it seems even the Maybelline gel liner pot is twice as expensive here :sage:

9. January 15, 2011 / 10:00 pm

Thanks for posting these! It’s always nice to know what is trending in Japan especially since it’s harder to get magazines in the States.
    I’m happy that darker hair colors are becoming more popular. My hair is naturally brown with blonde undertones from the sun. I have never dyed my hair, and now I have a reason not to heehee. :wink:
    I currently use Clinique’s Brush-On Cream Liner in True Black. Well, it is a true black. It keeps its color for well over eight hours with minimal smudging. It’s not a gel, but it’s close enough.
    I won’t be switching to brown eyeliner even if all other gals do. My natural lashes are black, and brown just wouldn’t look right with them. -_-
    The cat eye I can definitely get with. I’ve always loved cat eyes. They flatter different eyes shapes. :hearts2:

10. January 15, 2011 / 11:07 pm

OMG I read that and immediately went and dug an eyelash container that I just threw out of the trash. I wish I had known this earlier! Thanks for the info though (for this whole entry)! I love cat eye so I’m glad it’s become a trend (when is it ever really “out” in the first place, though?)

11. Elena
    January 16, 2011 / 1:00 am

I’m happy that darker hair colours are becoming more popular as I have recently dyed my hair to a dark brown.
    I also the fact that they panda eyes are going away and cat eyes are coming in, I actually never liked panda eyes xD
    I am however surprised that MAC is dominating the charts, I have recently purchased Anna Sui make-up and I personally like it more then MAC’s products u_u

12. January 16, 2011 / 2:31 am

What a lovely make up!! They are totally awesome!

13. January 16, 2011 / 4:19 am

i would have expected more from Anna Sui. i love their make up and you can get it everywhere in japan.
    they are MAC-maniacs, no? what about benefit?

14. January 16, 2011 / 4:50 am

Thanks so much for your research ang for sharing all this information!!!
    Soooo helpful!!!!!!

15. January 16, 2011 / 7:29 am

Thanks for this awesome post Mitsu! Its really nice that the droopy eyeliner is moving onto the cats eye style and choosing to focus less or even leaving the lower lashes bare. I find the look so much sexier.

Still not a fan of the ornage cheek look though I am loving the orange tinges for the hair but maybe because I havent really perfected the ornage cheek look. >.<

I'm really surprised at how you didn't really like the Biore oil makeup remover as it works wonders for me, though I have to admit that it does take awhile for heavier mascaras and lash glue to wash off hahah, but I totally agree with how they failed to mention the Canmake cream blush. The stuff is awesome with the great buildable colour and creating a dewy look with a natural flush.

Do keep up the awesome posts!

16. January 16, 2011 / 7:50 am

Awesome post! :D
    Though I thought Green lenses would be the next hit, Ive been shot down by the brown haha

17. Coolada
    January 16, 2011 / 8:50 am

Yayy im so happy!!
    Because all they mentioned that was “in” i’ve been basically doing! And im a bit happy not to use bottom lashes anymore, since my natural are pretty long :33
    Also i need to try the MAC 34, and 7. They’ve convinced me to get some :D

Awsome Post~!! A good start to my day :D

18. January 16, 2011 / 11:57 am

Hm, I’m no expert in makeup, maybe the brown eyeliner with false eyelashes could be remedied by drawing a thin black line for the lash line, and then another thin line above the fake lashes in a dark brown, and then going to brown? Maybe like a gradation? Or maybe they just don’t care anyway. :love:

I’m glad the cat look is in; I look best in that!

19. Phoebe
    January 16, 2011 / 12:36 pm

I’m loving the move from droopy eye to cat eye! I’m a cat eye enthusiast; I never do eyeliner without a cat eye :love: TBH I never really liked the droopy eye; I think it ages people since the eye shape is being pulled down, like it’s sagging :^_^;;:

I’m a bit surprised to see the red lip appear as a trend. I feel like gyaru is being influenced a bit by the runway makeup trends this time around. I’ve been seeing bold lips a lot in runway so yeah~

20. Deea
    January 16, 2011 / 2:07 pm

wow i love your blog^^
    im not a big fan of the red lips. i feel like it takes away the whole gal-feeling. especially since the panda eye is going buhbye(wich i really dont mind).

21. January 16, 2011 / 3:04 pm

Actually, the MAC recycle program require 8 used products to be turned in. However, the nice thing is that at a MAC kiosk (in a department store) you can pick any lipstick, but at the MAC stores you have a choice of any lipstick, lip gloss, or eye shadow. I didn’t realize they cost more in Japan. Would’ve figured it would be the same? We need to get DollyWink here in the States!

22. January 16, 2011 / 4:13 pm

YayYyYyY new post! :happydance:
    So the panda eye is going out of style? Nooo, please!!! I’m still learning how to do it right :worry: *lol* I think it’s cuter, cat eye looks more grown-up and mature. Don’t get me wrong, mature make is great but for myself I prefer walking through the cute side. I don’t know if this makes any sense lol, my english is not very good.

About the orange, YAY! I’m looking for an orange blush to give it a try, I think it looks so happy and energetic… :wink: And the red lips! I’ve never tried that, I usually only wear lipgloss. Maybe I can start with a red lipgloss? lol

tl;dr::smiley: In general all make trends look more mature and glamorous! Maybe I’ll give them a try, it would be a big change for me now I’m crazy about trying new make styles. :makeup:

23. January 16, 2011 / 11:06 pm

Thanks for the lovely post! :D Such great information~ thankyou!!! x3
    :hearts2:

24. January 17, 2011 / 8:26 am

MAC cosmetics are ridiculously expensive here in Brazil. The Studio Sculpt foundation I use costs R$120,00 which should equal approximately $60. But still, worth buying because their cosmetics are usually so much better quality than our local brands ):

25. Musii
    January 17, 2011 / 10:25 am

Thanks for the post!

I should be more excited about the panda eye going out of fashion because it looks terrible on me, but the cat eye is too sexy and adult for my personal taste, since I prefer a rounder-eyed, cuter look.

I’m excited about the bolder lips, though. And the orange. I’ve been using orange blush (well, orange eyeshadow as blush… :^_^;;: ) for a while now, glad to know I’m on trend!

26. January 18, 2011 / 2:12 am

thanks so much for always posting up-to-date trends.. im rather fond of the cat eye look, i used to do it before i tried gyaru makeup and i always used to go out with just eyeliner drawn in cat eye style – glad its coming into gal. and i love the red lips, always been a fan of that too.. i always like how great eyes and a bright lip color create such impact

27. bouncybrown
    January 18, 2011 / 9:36 am

Thanks for the great, informative post!

28. January 19, 2011 / 3:35 pm

I’ve been doing the cat eye, heavy top lash look for some time now. Little did I know it was actually in style lol I mean I saw a few models doing it but I didn’t think it would be this big of a hit >w<
    I'm also loving the red lipstick look! I went on a lip gloss/lipstick raid recently and I'm very happy w/ my purchases. ^.^

29. January 21, 2011 / 2:14 am

LOVE the red lip & cat eye trend, it’s much more western-trend oriented and stands out well. (Doesn’t work so nicely for sweet, girly styles though w). That picture of Mipo in red lipstick looks amazing :heart:

Also quite happy that tareme is going out… droopy eyes can look pretty odd if not done right.
    I’m also surprised they didn’t put canmake cream cheek on the list – it’s such a nicely textured blush with really good sparkly pigment.

Iopon and Romihi look lovely too! :smiley:

30. January 22, 2011 / 4:06 am

aaw I loved the panda eye look ! :(
    But thank you so much for the scans!! :hands: :hands: :hands: :smiley: :heartshake:

31. January 23, 2011 / 8:33 am

Thanks for the translation!! Great post as usual :) I have the mags and saw that girls were going from old style to new style, but thought it was just a season change. I also have the orange hair/orange cheek combo and have had for a little while (or orange/red hair anyway).

I’m loving the make-up brand Nyx since my last visit, & it has a great, bright orange blush called “cinnamon” that I wear a lot now.

32. January 26, 2011 / 11:40 am

Great post, its interesting to see what cosmetics are the most popular! Really thinking of getting the dollywink liquid eyeliner now :oops:
    xx

33. February 15, 2011 / 6:21 pm

hi, I’m new on here and looking forward to being a part of the conversation !