Retro Girly week: Introduction

Retro Girly going to be a big trend for Spring in all stores, but certain stores have decided to be retro girly only and now there is almost a floor full of them at 109. It’s time the Doll spotlighted the brands, the styling, and the trends within the look.

Seven brands!

This week I’ll try to spotlight some of the brands, previews of the Spring/Summer looks and lots of shop staff pictures to show you how each store is working their specific look.

Possible topics upcoming this week(s):

:heart2: Titty & Co for Spring/Summer

:heart2: Rojita for Spring/Summer

:heart2: Rising trends within Retro Girly

:heart2: Recent Shop staff coordinates from all stores

:heart2: Honey Bunch store introduction

:heart2: How to pull off a retro girly look

Dazzlin shop staff showing off some of their store looks for Spring.

Why is Retro Girly such a boom?

Reason 1: Everything retro has been a boom in gal recently, from remakes and classic rock t-shirts seen on Shibuhara girls to lace collars and Peterpan necklines on classic girls. Magazines also discuss old starlets like Bridget Bardot and Audrey Hepburn especially. Delyle even had an Audrey Hepburn collection. These two old Hollywood stars especially are fueling styles and creativity.

Reason 2: Girly will forever be in style with women in Japan. In it’s worst case a woman is burikko (ぶりっ子) or being excessively cutesy. However femininity especially with a bit of retro styling appeals to a lot of women.

Reason 3: It allows for women to be girly while appearing adult, instead of being stylish like MODE. The higher necklines, longer sleeves allow for women to look a bit more covered up. Although short skirts are always in. MODE is kind of the second direction women take when looking for a more adult gal look.

I know some will look and say, “Wait— this is NOT gal. Or at least not the gal I know.” My argument for this is Liz Lisa is gal and it’s 10x more cutesy and flowy than this. These clothes appear in gal magazines. The stores themselves are in 109. Kumicky herself prefers this style. So hopefully those not too into it will keep an open mind or maybe see some of the trends in your favorite store. :upheart:

Share:

1. January 27, 2011 / 1:43 am

this retro girl I think is cool. I will support this trend. ^______^~v
    its sweet and mature to look at, the gal trend now is kinda provocative and sexy.

this is just my opinion though :3~

January 27, 2011 / 4:10 am

hehehe well some parts of gal have always been sexy leaning, although I wouldn’t call Co&Lu sexy or wc :oops:

I think some girls when they want to be adult see sexy as a good option to portray being an adult. Like Lip Service or such. Then many girls decide a toned down sexy and this may be the more retro girly angle.

2. January 27, 2011 / 2:00 am

Audrey + Gal = happy bloomzy :smiley: :hearts:

January 27, 2011 / 4:10 am

hehehee Both Momoko & Ena have been talking about her or copyng her make-up recently :happydance:

3. January 27, 2011 / 3:28 am

I know nothing about gal fashion and I don’t follow the trend because it doesn’t suit for me.
    But I’ll just say that I personally like this better than Liz Lisa’s too girly and full of flowers style ~ Though it’s also cute.

Does there exist like a tomboy version of gal ? :D

• January 27, 2011 / 4:01 am

hmm im not sure if coco lulu style can be considered as tomboy version but i think it’ll do ^____^~

January 27, 2011 / 4:08 am

That was kind of my opinion, too. Maybe ReDark and Rodeo Crowns as well.

4. January 27, 2011 / 5:34 am

such a good style for spring & summer + i like it very much!
    this really gave me inspiration! :bow:

5. January 27, 2011 / 5:43 am

Great post!! You’ve really helped those who don’t want to look too ‘babyish’!! And you are stunning btw!!! ^ ^

6. January 27, 2011 / 5:48 am

YES I LOVE IT :heart: :happydance:

Finally some girlyness ^^ Now I can also look into gyaru mags for inspiration, cuz Vivi always carried this style the best and that is why I am such a fan of Vivi.
    I just adoooooooore this looks :heart2:

7. January 27, 2011 / 6:08 am

I also think designer brands over the winter embraced retro styles (chole comes to mind) & that caramel coat look that will forever remind me of Hepburn (and I cannot say the name without laughing after Sho told me it sounded like fart in Japanese) so it is hardly surprising to me that gyaru brands are jumping on it and making it there own. Honestly, I really dig this look (but I also really dig mode and I think both show influences of Hepburn we KNOW ena from Emoda & momoko from Murua adore her….it is so obvious when you look at a. their makeup b. their style inspirations c. their rooms). Can`t say I can complain, I have been watching a lot of old Audrey movies lately & bemoaning how fabulous she is.

People who say it isn`t the gal they know just don`t know gal. Period. I don`t care how well they copy the “cocolulu/mars/etc look” that is only one or two aspects of gal that are not nearly as popular as other forms. How often do I see a lady dressed in Mode or some other version of gal? A LOT. How often do I see a lady dressed in Mars or Cocolulu? RARELY.

You have so much blogging planned for this week! I feel bad because I am all blogged out & editing pictures to make a post is so time consuming :(

8. January 27, 2011 / 6:13 am

I don’t really like the retro style personally. I wouldn’t be comfortable and wouldn’t feel like myself wearing pieces like the shop staff above, though it does look nice on her.

I’ll wait and see your posts on the brands to decide if I’ll give this one a chance, or pass up on it! lol

9. January 27, 2011 / 7:28 am

Oh this is so far from anything I feel comfortable wearing, but you can just see how big its gonna be soon! I guess you have to be pretty confident to wear a white crochet cardigan with pearls, I’d feel like I just mugged a grandma for her clothes hehe XD

10. January 27, 2011 / 7:54 am

much more mature yet cute at the same time. so nice :cheery: very nice post :yayblush: I LOVE the outfit on the right :hearts2:

11. January 27, 2011 / 8:11 am

I actually really like it! I’d prefer this over Lisa Liz just because in reality this is something I find more appealing on myself besides on other people. It’s very nice :D

12. January 27, 2011 / 8:15 am

oh my god the store stuff looks so cute. i totally want that look! <3

13. January 27, 2011 / 8:32 am

Ugh. It’s all so cute I want Spring to come sooner so I can dive into now!
    I like how you described it as girly but adult :)
    Change of seasons is always an exciting thing isn’t it :happydance:

14. Diyana
    January 27, 2011 / 10:49 am

I’m liking this already esp the peterpan necklines~~ Can’t wait to read your posts!

15. January 27, 2011 / 11:41 am

I really like this style and will be looking forward to the upcoming posts!

16. January 27, 2011 / 12:39 pm

I like this style but it’s not really anything special for me. This sort of style has been popular in the UK for years.

17. January 27, 2011 / 12:58 pm

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. :yayyay:

18. January 27, 2011 / 1:37 pm

This is the Gal I love. I’m a huge (secret) Kumicky fan because I just love her in retro gal! And another thing I really like about popsister, especially the latest issue.

For me, I’ve always been more retro inclined, especially because I idolize my great-grandmother who was young in the 40s and I’ve always adored looking at the old pictures of her. Most of my favorite pieces are retro-gal inspired and I can’t wait for spring to come so I can show them off. Ahh, I love spring~ hahah

A brand I noticed that had a lot of retro gal pieces was Lowry”s Farm, not sure if it’s considered “gal” but a lot of the girls I went to school with shopped there (and we all used the bags for our gym clothes!)

19. January 27, 2011 / 3:22 pm

Can’t wait to know more about this style! MODE look is not for me; but all this lace and soft colours, vichy prints and little ruffles? YESSSS

20. January 27, 2011 / 5:07 pm

omigosh! it looks beautiful!!!!!!

21. January 27, 2011 / 5:09 pm

i have also noticed the retro boom in the magazines, but i’ve been really disapointed at how they’re promoting it… there are so many good elements about retro fashion, but everything they’ve put out is BEIGE! i mean come on! i like gyaru a lot for the craziness of the style…. i hope that people are gonna put their own twists on it cuz otherwise we’re all gonna be big beige clones walking around come springtime… lol.

one thing i do like though, is the return of the bell-bottom jeans. i loved them when i was in high school, and i still love them now! lol.

• January 28, 2011 / 9:37 pm

^ THIS.

I did notice though that fashion seemed to be heading towards this direction, especially after all the florals, lace and can-can hats of last year.

Besides the apparent lack of colour choices, I adore the style – it means I can whip out stuff my mum, aunts and grandmas used to own! :wink:

22. January 27, 2011 / 5:18 pm

Well-said, bb~! :heart:
    Totes looking forward to all the topics~

23. January 28, 2011 / 12:43 am

As I was going through spring trends and came across all the retro, 60’s,70’s, etc…
    hm……… I’m soooo on the fence!
    I remember when nordic came out for F/W I so hated it, but fell in love with it.
    I’m not so sure I can do so with retro!
    Hope my predictions for other spring trends are on point and I can stick with them :)

24. January 28, 2011 / 4:48 pm

I like that style! I would adjust it a bit to suit me better ^__^ but I like it!
    I think it suits better japanese girls, they’re so skinny, I’d never wear shorts and skirts that… short! :D

25. bonjourellie
    January 28, 2011 / 9:36 pm

I am excited but nervous for this trend!!! >______< I wonder if I'll be able to pull it off.
    I love it though, girly/retro is just so precious!

26. January 29, 2011 / 6:52 am

Yay, this seems great ! :hands: And useful, since I decided to go for a quite similar style this year and was looking for inspiration.

27. January 29, 2011 / 5:03 pm

Im looking forward to these posts,I really like this style.
    Loving the Dazzlin shop staff outfits:D

28. January 30, 2011 / 12:12 pm

I’m excited!

…but seriously. Titty and Co.? :-S That name… :roll:

29. January 30, 2011 / 5:21 pm

I really like this style!! I love Audrey Hepburn and lots of other classic movie stars, and I love retro things from the fifties and earlier. Definitely a trend I’m interested in!

30. January 31, 2011 / 10:45 am

I love the outfit to the right it’s super cute :D<3
    I am so going to try this retro girly style for the summer ^_^

31. February 5, 2011 / 5:15 am

Oh I like this style!

But she is not a shop staff, the girl in the picture is actually Dazzlin’s designer/creative director Rumikon.

32. February 10, 2011 / 4:10 am

Great post – I’ve always been in love with retro and vintage, but I love the gyaru twist to it…especially the cute, cuuute, cuuuuute bloomeresque shorts. (Loving gingham and polka dots just intensifies it all!)

33. February 10, 2011 / 8:57 pm

OMG I completely adore this style so much more. Honestly I love Liz Lisa also, but that brand is more eyecandy and not taken too seriously. I just love love love a retro vintage in gal style.

Thanks for the post!

34. February 15, 2011 / 5:04 am

I really like the new retro/vintage styled stuff that’s been featured in fashion magazines recently – I think the tailoring is a lot softer and easier to co-ordinate, plus more casual for day wear.

35. February 17, 2011 / 9:34 am

Don’t laugh at me for being overly simple, but my rule is: If it’s heavy in the gal mags, and pimped in the gal stores, it’s gal– whether you like it or not.

February 17, 2011 / 9:39 am

I agree. I am sick of people saying no to such things when it’s obvious the mountain of voice by Japanese have been it is. Style changes!

36. February 22, 2011 / 9:08 am

Btw, do you know if their are any better pictures of that girl’s haircut? I’m thinking that’s what I want to do with my hair next, but I need a good photo for my hairdresser to have as reference.