Mars Spring/Summer 2011

Taking a break from Retro Girly (Rojita up next though) to talk about a store with tons of gaijin gal fans: MA*RS. MA*RS has had a popularity hit recently with the sloping of Agejo. Both Ageha and Betty have stepped back from featuring as much MA*RS and Golds Infinity. Judging by the massive sales and lack of stock turnover, Lip Service sales are also slumping.

MA*RS details:
katakana: マーズ
style: agejo
website: http://www.mars-saja.com/index.html
number of stores: 10 (4 in Tokyo: Ikebukuro, Ueno, Shinjuku and Shibuya). Down from 11 stores last year. They opened a new one in Ikebukuro, but closed the second Shinjuku store in Lumine EST. However, they also closed another store. MA*RS compared to other expanding stores (Emoda, MURUA, Ank Rouge) must have had a down season in Fall.
years around: 21!!! (since 1990)
this season’s concept: None yet stated
what it’s really this season: 3 central prints: Rose, Rose Heart and Jewel that are combined into several set-ups and onepieces.
model: Eriko Tachikawa (Nuts) again, right my model stalkers?

Promo Shots

Catalog Shots

Their rose print trench. Trenches for Spring are showing up in all gal styles from agejo to mode to retro girly.
More rose print with rose accessories.
One of their big onepieces for Spring. Not out in stores yet, but it’s more of their Rose Print line.
A leftover style from Fall, but the set-up sweater set is classic MA*RS
Plaid is not in this Spring, but MA*RS loves to do this sexy businesswoman chic every season.
Their logo tee for Spring.
The tshirt, which is a blatant YSL rip-off, comes as a set with sunglasses. It’s definitely one I’ll look into buying.
Logo bags and accessories for this season. The mirror looks really cute!
The rose print which came out last month and lots of MA*RS ladies love this sweet look.
This is their second big print for the season: The Jewel Print. Shown as the two-piece set.
I know it’s a bit hard to tell, but this is their third print this season: The Rose Heart print. Lots of sets are coming out in the Rose Heart Print. This one with romper, jacket and tights is only 10000 yen in stores now.
One of my favorite pieces from MA*RS this Spring and my favorite catalog shot. SOOOO CUTE! (Not as cute as Frances tho ^_^)
Another Rose Heart Print set that is not yet in stores.
More sexy businesswear from MA*RS. Just a MA*RS trend, not a gal trend.

Real MA*RS

Real Ma*RS released only 3 sets this season, down from last year. Again plaid is not really trending, but it’s consistent with Real Ma*rs style.
The ultrahot onepiece from Real MA*RS with a skull print back. The suspenders sell seperately. A bit DIA, but I love the lace. Rock trends will feature a lot of black lace this Spring.
Their classy logo shorts that look a bit longer than their full butt Winter shorts (thankfully because those winter shorts were getting a bit illegal). Lots of good age-rock trends in this outfit: gold items, big prints, classic denim.

Making of Spring/Summer Catalog shots

Look at all the accessories and bags to choose from!
So cute!

A making of video is here: http://www.mars-saja.com/news/movie/index.html

Pressroom: featuring lots of behind the scenes shots

Spring Coordinates by Shop Staff

One of the best things about MA*RS is their customer service. They understand that in comparison to Moussy, Gilfy and even EMODA they are a small niche brand and they must grow and take care of customer relations. Whether overseas gal understand this or not, MA*RS is quite small in comparison.

As a customer once you get a MA*RS shop card, you receive letters in your snail mailbox about MA*RS news and sales. Shop staff will call you if you requested to be updated when a certain item you like comes in.

My experiences in MA*RS have always been pleasant. Whether I’m w♥c or Agejo styles they treat me the same way. While MA*RS shop staff work very hard to maintain their Agejo appearances, all I have met are quite friendly and talkative.

All shots found on their official blogs: http://www.ec-saja.jp/info/blog.cfm?uk=0

Ma*RS 109 staff in their Jewels Print jacket and skirt and scarf (worn as a hair ribbon). She’s so adorable!!
Ueno ABAB shop staff in the Real MA*RS new coordinate. The price is so great!
Shizuoka Shop Staff looking amazing in the Jewel Print set-up.
Shizuoka shop staff in MA*RS key accessories for the Fall: Fake flowers as hair accessories or jewelry items. A great DIY idea for Agejo overseas ladies!
MA*RS twins at the Shizuoka MA*RS in the Rose Print tunic and skirt.
Ueno ABAB shop staff in the Jewel Print onepiece.
Osaka Hep5 shop staff in the Rose Print.
Ikebukuro shop staff in the Rose Heart print set.
Osaka Shinsaibashi shop staff in the Rose Print trench. So cute!
Ma*rs shop staff in Omiya (Saitama) showing off the great Real MA*RS onepiece.
Ma*rs Omiya (Saitama) shop staff in the Rose Heart print cardigan and dress set. All the Saitama staff seem to have short hair. Handclap for short haired Agejos!

Personal Opinions

I love so much of what MA*RS is doing this season. I think the 3 prints make it very easy to coordinate items. Their set prices are really great as well! I’ve already bought a set from MA*RS this Spring and hope to buy more. I think a lot of their items have gotten more kawaii on the EroKawa (erotic kawaii) scale which makes me want to purchase more. Heading to school 5 days a week I don’t exactly want to be boobs-out in class. :worry: At least for me this collection is a lot more wearable than their Fall one. Especially since their Fall collection wasn’t exactly Winter friendly :worry:

Share:

1. February 6, 2011 / 12:24 am

I’m actually surprised at how toned-down a lot of their stuff seems to feel from previous seasons! I mean, it still has the MA*RS feel to it, but it’s less *BAM! SEXY!* than in previous years.
    I mean, it’s still pretty revealing…but toned-down reveling :P

I actually really like the cutesied-up business suit ideas! Could you actually get away with wearing that in a work setting in Japan, though?? xD
    I’m having a hard time picturing it… either way, I like it! :korila:

Thanks so much for posting, as always~ :heart:

2. February 6, 2011 / 2:31 am

Uhm, I was never a big fan of MA*RS unfortunately! Some things do make me go “oooooooooh!! shiny! want! (*_*)”, but not the ones from this collection. :) Still a greaqt post to read :D

3. February 6, 2011 / 3:09 am

Oeh I like this post :yayyay: I really love Ma*rs and I like a lot of the spring pieces you showed here! but looking at, for example, the frilly rose print dresses (the Hep5/Shizuoka pics) I’m a bit scared Ma*rs might lose it’s signature look and cross over into LizLisa territory.
    Thenagain the jewel print OP with the blazer and that Real Mars skull OP make me trust they still got that old Ma*rs flair. (not that they lost flair on the rose print pieces :worry: )

Thanx for this post!

4. February 6, 2011 / 3:41 am

Gosh, flower prints are everywhere this year :icon_eek: (but I generally like it so it’s a good thing :oops: )

Personally my preference goes to the flower print tunic + skirt, it looks cute :heartsmile: (and “easily” wearable for something from an agejo brand) The cardigan also looks lovely :mrgreen:

5. February 6, 2011 / 6:59 am

I love mars but this spring collection is….no comment.

6. February 6, 2011 / 7:05 am

Seems like there’s a floral revival once again! Its great that MA*RS clothes are less revealing this time, don’t get me wrong, I understand the concept of it being sexy and all that however, last Fall’s stuff was bordering on looking like a hooker, so it was bit hard for me to consider getting their stuff. But the new stuff seem to be bit safer but just as sexy so its definitely more wearable and I’m so eyeing the cardigan right now!

Thanks for the great article!

7. February 6, 2011 / 7:39 am

The rose print is gorgeous, but the jewel print looks a little cheap unless paired with cardigan etc. like one shop staffer did above. I’ve come to the conclusion, you’re def. the best gal trend blogger btw. :up:

-Coco :hearts:

PS. How did you get all of the cool icons to add to the comments below? I would love to put the or something similar on my blog :heartsmile:

8. Lydia
    February 6, 2011 / 7:48 am

I think I could look at ma*rs stuff forever, it’s so lovely!

Do you think it’s only a matter of time before agejo dies out?! I would hate to see it go.

9. February 6, 2011 / 8:16 am

Oh it’s a bit sad they’ve had to close down stores, but it doesn’t really surprise me at all right now. I really feel the extreme styles in gyaru will die out in a few years and the whole concept of gyaru will be something more like “high fashion with better makeup”. I’m not someone who can forecast fashion,it just seems like it to me.

I don’t think I’m the type of person who can wear MA*RS items and look good, but I do enjoy admiring it from afar. I personally like these items, the Jewel print is so obnoxious I love it!, but I can see why they would tone things down, they want to be more appealing and the floral prints and more covering hemlines will attract more customers.

I hope agejo, rock, punk, rock-age etc won’t die out for a couple years though, so I can enjoy it awhile haha

• February 6, 2011 / 9:34 am

I’m hoping the same won’t happen, though I can definitely see that shift… I think your description of gal becoming ‘high fashion with better makeup’ is really spot-on though :cry: I don’t want the more extreme styles to go away either.

February 6, 2011 / 9:48 am

I think this is kind of possible, but I do wonder what people must’ve felt when gal really had a hard time with the negative press and death of mamba. It’s not like Ageha quickly grew after that. I think fashion is extremely cyclical and while Mode is very popular right now, I don’t think Liz Lisa which is tame is not exactly everyday fashion. Rock also is feeling a lull, but I am positive some companies will revive it.

These brands are backed by huge companies and they realize they need to create a unique product especially now with Zara, h&m and Forever 21 closing in on fast fashion prices that 109 offers. I don’t think many will bow to looking like these companies, instead they’ll create a new identity that makes their product easily identifiable and buyable. w♥c is a good example of this.

10. February 6, 2011 / 9:15 am

Its soooo cool :!: n i mean alot :!: i :hearts: it =] my :bowhouse: is nice ~ even it isn’t i knw its filled wif my family love~ :heart: :hearts2: :heart2: :heartshake: :smiley: by the way wats MA*RS?? i’m crazy to knw

11. February 6, 2011 / 9:32 am

I really like what they’re doing with the white + floral combination & that MA*RS ♥’s YSL set is too freaking adorable :heart: That’s definitely a must-get for me!
    I think that while MA*RS isn’t really ‘my’ style, I can definitely appreciate that they always stay true to themselves & their target agejo audience :hearts2:

12. February 6, 2011 / 6:25 pm

Hmmm, I’ve never been into this style or into the rose prints (I avoid Liz Liza like the plague) so I was surprised when I looked at this and saw some cute items! I really like the plaid coord, and the YSL-style shirt too! I think all of the OTK socks have sucked me in a bit too :)

13. February 6, 2011 / 6:49 pm

i’m not a big fan of MA*RS either, but the pink trench coat is super cute! and the logo t-shirt as well as the rock-kei hoodies are looking quite good to me too. i’ll agree with you that this season definitely has a lot more “wearable” stuff… yay! ^_^

14. February 6, 2011 / 8:30 pm

ma*rs is so much fun to look at; the girls who wear it rock it! i’d love to have one ma*rs outfit just for those times i’m in the mood~~

but most def want the rose print tunic/dress!!! :hearts: and the cardigan~ those bow buttons awwww :yayyay:

15. February 7, 2011 / 12:25 am

This post made me actually interested in Ma*rs.. Never really been into it, since it’s usually ALOT going on in the very little pieces of fabric that is they’re clothes, haha. I don’t mind clothes that shows a lot, but I have a hard time when there’s too much going on in an outfit, haha.
    The roseprint stuff was really nice! I should go and check it out someday..

And the prices are just to die for, woot!

February 7, 2011 / 6:34 pm

hahaha you know I feel the same way. Sometimes it’s just frills and too much. >_<

Yes!! For a big brand store, the prices are amazing!

16. February 7, 2011 / 10:43 am

I’ve never been a big fan of prints so I def wouldn’t be buying most of these pieces. BUT I’m totally in love with the black Real MA*RS onepiece, and I reeeally like the shorts+hoody combination, it looks great! And the t-shirt with the sunglasses sounds awesome too :yayyay:

February 7, 2011 / 6:33 pm

I really like the Real Mars looks, too. They seem not about trends as much as style, so I appreciate that ^_^

17. February 13, 2011 / 8:40 am

OMG MA*RS (Real MARS and … how I love you so… I hope you don’t get hit by the recession much!
    Since none of their outfits come in my proportions I am getting similar items sewn for me…

18. March 9, 2011 / 2:26 pm

I realllly love the MA*RS looks sooo much! But I am worried I can’t fit into their dresses….I’m like a size 6 US now and still dropping, but sometimes stuff like armholes or legholes are TINY on Japanese clothing or my boobs and shoulder might be too big/wide! >_<;;