My gal style journey

You guys asked for a personal post about style and such and I decided to do one and it’ll be one and done. I’m so much happier discussing gal style as a whole, it’s the reason I started this blog!

Because who doesn’t love a chart? :wink:

2007

Moving to Japan mid August.

When I first moved to Japan my previous knowledge of gal fit in a thimble. My style was not really influenced by much. I didn’t have much confidence in myself because of various reasons, so I didn’t try to search out much style. When I moved to Japan I gradually started looking at LaForet and various shops around Harajuku. I just bought what I thought was cute and that was about it.

La Foret in 2007.

I told friends I had made at school I liked going to LaForet and they told me to try out 109. I hadn’t heard about it before I went to Japan. So when I actually went inside it was such a shock! 109 is just different than any other shopping mall.  :stepup: Needless to say I was hooked. :happydance:

However I was hooked on 109. Not any store really yet. Just 109. 109 and gal. Shopping bags saved up during Fall/Winter from going to 109 in 2007 (3 of those were purchases I got for my man). Back when the yen was at 120 to the dollar *cries*

Esthetically… I think I was learning so slowly! My hair had the right length for Tsubasa without hair extensions so I tried to make it as fluffy as I saw in a Popteen. When I look at it now I am so disappointed with myself. Also, the blonde I had wasn’t flattering to my skintone. My make-up was non-existent and I had no clue how to conceal flaws.

2008

When I came back to Japan for summer of 2008 it was clear I was obsessed with Gilfy.

Can you blame me? I still love these styles!

It was also still the leftover season of engineer boot love (the Fall craze of 2007) and the summer of gladiators.

I never wear my gladiators or engineer boots anymore, but these from Gilfy I still wear and get compliments on.

Yumachi in Egg 2008, rocking the Gilfy.

Esthetically… I got a straight perm. It was the absolute worst hair mistake I think I’ve ever made. I was hoping it would stop making my hair frizz at the club, and it did. It just made it flat and lifeless as well and I had to chop off so much. :worry:

I did get my first hair extensions which made me feel a bit more gal at the time even if with the extra hair my hair was still flat. At my extension salon it was the first place outside of a club that I felt comfortable talking with everyday gals. That place really helped me.

I also started getting into nail art and doing my own nails.

Late that year I started getting into deco as well. This Chanel compact was done at Glam Baby and then I lost it on a train D:

I still knew nothing about make-up. :worry:

2009

I think it was the year I grew in gal the most. I started loving One*Spo and Lip Service and by extension: agejo. I think loving Agejo casual style really really helped me in hair and make-up because agejo really requires more work. I learned about novelties and met my first girl who would become my long-time shop staff at One*Spo, Kie. She taught me to be more open and outgoing with shop staff.

Lip Service & leopard. I was so happy to get this.

I also went to Fukuoka and Osaka twice which really made me curious about gal outside of Tokyo. Which is now really an obsession  :worries:

In extensions in two-tone hair. Wearing Lip Service (cardigan why did you make me look poochy?) and nails by Carry. Feeding a tame deer in Nara.

Esthetically… I started going to Carry for my nails. I got extensions religiously. Inspired by Detsu Korohi I did my first two-tone. I also got cornrows in the shape of a heart. I spent a lot of money on such things, the yen was much weaker to the dollar then.

The gold and Swarovski nails from Carry.

My make-up was still crap. But I was improving. I got eyelash extensions, I tried bottom lashes, I went to MAC.

2010

My style was all over the place. But it was mostly w♥c. I don’t exactly know why I think it was such a dramatic reaction from Agejo. I was tired with the upkeep and extremes of agejo. Honestly though I think many of my style choices of that year backfired. I still like some, but I’m left shaking my head with a lot of them.

Like this! WTF was I thinking?! My outfit didn't just need 1 print, it needed 3!! D: My reaction to this outfit now is the face on the Bape t-shirt I was wearing: D: If I just went with black jeans or something it would've been better but I needed to be bolder.

Esthetically… I wore no extensions for the whole year. My hair was either two-tone or bright orange or magenta. I never played it safe, but I wish I chose one thing. It was like my style. I didn’t need 1 hair color, I needed 3! :cry:

On a positive note I think I really improved my make-up finally! I’m still very insecure about it, but I see definite improvement from my pictures of 2009 to 2010.

My nails atleast mellowed a little mid-way through the year by doing gels. Although did I need 1 print, no I needed 3!! Can you see the repetition in my style that year? D: Not 1, but 3.

2011 and on…

I feel 2011 I did mellow more. I don’t know when or how, but I relaxed. I think liking Murua and Liz Lisa helped me with that. They are both based on a print per look. Also they had such soft pinks and whispery colors for Spring that suited me better. Lately I really like beige and wine colors and Laguna Moon’s casual adult style as well as the sleek styles of Murua.

Less color and a few less prints. My love of hats continues.

Esthetically... My hair couldn’t take the damage of dying anymore so I wigged out for most of the Winter/Spring. It was the best hair choice I had made in a while.

Frances is happy with my Cyperous wig.

Currently I’m sporting my natural haircolor and no bangs. It’s time to relax. I’m also looking at Rienda lately. I’ll make a brand post or a series of posts on them soon-ish. :up:

Looking back through pictures in order to make this post I had so many negative thoughts like “OMG that was horrible” or “WTF where you thinking” but then I realized it’s kind of like going back in time and the current you arguing with yourself as a child (i.e. a completely useless endeavor). LOL Live and learn  :bow:

Share:

1. October 4, 2011 / 8:14 pm

how cool! *0* you’ve been through so many different styles!
    I want to be able to experience a style journey as great as yours!

how have you been living in Japan for so long? are you studying there?

I ask because im freaking killing myself over here because I just want to live in Japan already, so im just curious how other foreigners get to do it! >.<

anyways, love this post :3 !!

October 4, 2011 / 8:22 pm

I really have been, too many style!!

I was a student and I lived there for only 6-8 months out of the year each year so when you say the years it seems like a long time, but it’s really not so long in total. I don’t discuss my school or such on-line. I think it’s best if you do your homework and search up what fits you if you’d like to live in Japan :)

2. October 4, 2011 / 8:34 pm

OMG! I wanna feed a deer lol. I think we all evolve and find ourselves style wise. It’s weird when I see stylish young people today I’m like wtf…I was making so many mistakes at your age lol.

October 5, 2011 / 7:16 pm

It’s pretty fun, and scary! Sometimes they are really really really hungry and swarm you.

Seriously! I feel I am so slow, I am so envious of those quick learners!

3. October 4, 2011 / 8:42 pm

Wow, your nails were always so pretty ~! :wink:
    I know how you feel.
    I hate seeing old pictures because my first thought is always “omg, what was wrong with me?”

October 5, 2011 / 7:15 pm

Oh that you so much for saying that! I love nail art, I’m so happy it’s evolved with me!

LOL Yes there was so much of that >_<;;;

4. October 4, 2011 / 9:59 pm

the chart was done so cutely & neatly~ XD
    i know exactly how you feel when I look back at my old pictures/style as well~
    I think everyone changes and matures, which is a good thing~ :-D
    I like your wig color too hehehe~ :korila:

October 5, 2011 / 7:14 pm

Thank you! I love infographics on other sites so I was happy to do one of my own!

Yes! Thank god for style maturity! Staying the same would surely be boring :D

Thank you!

5. honey
    October 4, 2011 / 10:18 pm

this post is lovely, really an inspiration :hearts2: thank you for taking the time to make it!

October 5, 2011 / 7:13 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed reading it!

6. October 4, 2011 / 10:31 pm

This was a really fun post! Thank you for doing it.

I tend to forget that personal style evolves. I think I should get things right with the first try. Not so. We all grow and learn.

October 5, 2011 / 7:12 pm

Happy but unhappy to share! Oh I’m so nervous doing this post. I realized how slow I was. I see other girls in gal and they are so quick with everything. I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to get where I am. >_<

7. October 5, 2011 / 12:17 am

OMG So awesome! So fun to see how much your style changed through the years!!

October 5, 2011 / 7:11 pm

hehehe it really has! I’m a bit shocked looking at it all now XD

October 5, 2011 / 7:11 pm

Indeed! There’s so many genres and opportunities!

8. kazzy
    October 5, 2011 / 3:11 am

I cannot WAIT for the wig review post you have coming up. That last pic is amazing.

October 5, 2011 / 7:10 pm

Someday someday!
      I really want to talk about wig brands in order of discovering them yet my first one lacks the amount of pics I’d like to show. I’m going to have to take some pics in Japan and then finish it >_<

9. October 5, 2011 / 3:31 am

Such a great post and definitely an inspiration to those who are lost in their style or just not sure. It shows that everyone goes through it and it just takes time. You have always been fabulous :heart2:

October 5, 2011 / 7:09 pm

HAHAHHAHA okay I’m denying that compliment but accepting anyways cus I luvs you!

I can’t believe how slow/lost I was T_T

10. October 5, 2011 / 5:27 am

I hope my style journey will be as deligtful as yours!
    thanks for inspiring us in sweden :)
    xoxo

October 5, 2011 / 7:09 pm

Awwwh I promise when looking back it doesn’t seem so delightful. I remember thinking how happy I was in some things and looking back at them now I question so much D:

11. October 5, 2011 / 5:30 am

wow 0.0 this journey=wow ~ It’s nice discovering your style~~~ ^^ & I really like ur style on 2011 ;-;

October 5, 2011 / 7:08 pm

Thank you! I do too (at least for now LOL). I do hope I stay with this more relaxed style, it feels comfortable.

I can’t believe how long it’s been and how slow I was LOL >_<

12. October 5, 2011 / 5:49 am

I love that chart! So cute and gyaru-ish!! :korila:

I think these kinds of posts are very inspiring for girls (like me) that are slowly getting into gal styles. I know there are many others out there also, and that’s probably why you got so many requests to do it. With every post of yours (or almost every) I discover a new gal brand, it’s amazing! I never really thought much of Gilfy, but that picture makes me want to look into it even more now!

When I look back at older pictures of me, I also often think “what the hell were you thinking?!” but I think every one does that. I’ve heard my mother do that too! :happydance:

October 5, 2011 / 7:07 pm

CHART LOVE! YAY!

Isn’t Gilfy great? I don’t feel they are as good now, but wow looking at their pictures back then I’m just so blown away. I’d wear so many of those outfits now.

LOL I think my mother did as well >_< The journey of women! (and men in the 70s lol)

October 5, 2011 / 7:06 pm

I promise I”m a normal ol’ girl, nothing admirable. LOL if anything this post showed how slow I am to pick up things >_<

13. nica
    October 5, 2011 / 9:40 am

i love the golden nails and that wig is really nice too !
    maybe we could get a wig post someday ?

October 5, 2011 / 7:05 pm

Someday!!
      I wanted to start with a certain wig brand and yet I realized I don’t have enough pictures of the things I’d like to talk about with it so I’m suck >_<

14. October 5, 2011 / 12:29 pm

The chart with the hearts was such a cute touch! I think its nice to look back on the styles we wore in the past, I mean even though we now know much better about the kinds of styles that suit us and we may soemtimes cringe at how we looked like in the past, I still think its nice to look back and just laugh at what we thought made us look awesome in the past.

October 5, 2011 / 7:04 pm

LOL I did a lot of laughing! Your style has changed so much as I’ve been reading your blog. I love watching your choices!

15. October 5, 2011 / 2:07 pm

LOVED this was great to see your transition laid out to well and also creepy to realise how much of it I lurked :love:

October 5, 2011 / 7:04 pm

HAHHAHA well there was a lot of blogging during this time XD too bad so much of it was bad >_<

16. October 5, 2011 / 2:28 pm

ooooooo i loved this!!! hahah LOOLLL who DOESNT love a chart right?! ;o especially a cute one like that!

anyway, thanks for posting this- ive been meaning to do my style history post for years but never really figured out how to.. i liked how you didnt just post pictures of your outfits, but other things too that explained where you were at with life & style at that moment. great ideas, shall refer to you when i post my own little “style journey” ;>

October 5, 2011 / 7:03 pm

LOL seriously!! I love infographics XD

I’d so love to see yours. I always admire your style and love how cool yet relaxed it is. It’d really inspire me to see yours!

17. October 5, 2011 / 4:57 pm

Ah, I am the total opposite of you…I feel like I always have one base style I move around in. Tho, apparently that isn`t true according to Sho when I met him I dressed 100% different. I think I like my style more now that I am in america (even tho I get frustrated with some of my lack of shoe options! they are all in Japan ;_; ) since I am using more natural fabrics/beachy loose looks. Feels verrrry relaxed.

But I loved looking at your chart, esp the parts when we hung out! I remember your WC phase fondly because you were trying out so many things then & seriously I never knew what you would look like when we would meet (mode, wc or whoring it) XD I think it is fabulous you have gone through so many style phases. If you stayed with one, wouldn`t it be boring? ;)

Also, I STILL love those gel nails…the kitties :3 ps. you got the same email? i wanna email you a personal ?

October 5, 2011 / 7:01 pm

I think having a base style is actually better. I wish I did it’s a lot easier to work around.
      Shoe options in the US other than JC are such crap D:

LOL I think that happened a lot. But I think I might stay with one for a while :D

Yup same email, or fb email me :D

18. October 5, 2011 / 8:45 pm

Wow, seeing so many different kinds of gal is so interesting~! I’ve just now started learning about it but I’m not sure really to begin…my blog is so young, too >//////<'''' If you have any tips, I would love to hear them~~

October 6, 2011 / 6:06 pm

I hope you try out whatever you like and see what you enjoy the most! I hate when people tell others that they should wear only this style because it suits them. You should be happy with yourself and your own style, and screw the rest.

http://universal-doll.com/2009/11/gal-guide-vision/ I wrote this quite a while ago but I still believe in the main points of it :heart:

19. October 6, 2011 / 1:05 am

i really like this post! i wish you would do more like this (because honestly i am a bit tired of shop staff pics…)!

it would have been interesting to see pictures of you in each stage of your transformation… although i understand if you feel embarrassed by older pictures ^_-

still, nice and fun post! loved the chart! XD

October 6, 2011 / 5:47 pm

LOL can’t please everyone. In the giveaway post I kept hearing people ask for more and more shop staff pictures.

Yeah they were not so good at all. If I poke fun of them the way I do, I imagine what others may do and I’m not too fond of that right now.

20. Ailyn
    October 6, 2011 / 11:37 am

What a journey u had! The fact that u went to japan and was able to see 109 makes me so envious lol
    Keep up the good work :)

October 6, 2011 / 5:45 pm

hehehe but see if you go you’ll have such knowledge before you head there and not be such a dimwit as I was X_x

21. October 6, 2011 / 1:29 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your gal journey with us, Mitsu :hearts:
    I feel this way too looking back at old outfit photos when I thought I was being so ‘gal inspired,’ haha :^_^;;: But it’s just like you said in that last paragraph, there’s no point ‘crying over spilled milk’ esentially haha!
    I’m loving what I can see of your Cyperous wig though! That’s what I need to start investing in, wigs :up:

October 6, 2011 / 5:45 pm

Ohhh shush you were and are forever fabulous!

Wigs are awesome! I know it sounds weird but they made me learn to appreciate my real hair (and give it a break!).

22. October 8, 2011 / 1:28 am

Oh yayyy I love reading your gal journey! Posts like these always make me excited, I love reading people’s growth into gal.. the chart thing is genius and so creative!!! :) makes me want to make one! although mine isnt as elaborate and fun as yours.. im so boring.. ahhh.. those shoes from gilfy @_@ , :heart: and that compact .. so sad that you lost it :cry:

im taking a break from coloring my hair too and wearing more wigs.. that cyperous wig in the picture looks so good !

thanks for sharing this Mitsu! always love reading your posts!

23. Nikki
    April 20, 2012 / 1:25 pm

What hair color is the wig your wearing. Can you please send me the link? :D

24. February 2, 2014 / 8:04 pm

Love this recollection of your gal styles! :hearts3: :stepup:
    The only con I’m thinking about it is that there is so little amount of photos of your past&present… Why?! :( :sage:
    I always like to see documented gyaru evolution~ :stars:

February 3, 2014 / 4:18 am

Posted as many as I was comfortable with :)

25. March 26, 2014 / 5:11 pm

Thank you for this post! I love seeing your style progress, and learning more about you and where you came from to get to this point! You are absolutely darling! And I love your gyaru style and pretty blonde hair!

I live in Utah with my husband and we both really hope to either move to Japan or at least visit, and do lots of shopping in these amazing shops!

I am wondering though, do you speak/read Japanese fairly fluently by this point? Neither me or my husband speak it though we’re trying to learn, and I am just nervous that we won’t know enough if do get to go. I know they have many things in English, but I wouldn’t want to be rude by needing so much English.

March 26, 2014 / 7:23 pm

Fairly fluently on a conversation level, but I also never was in Japan as a tourist first and I had Japanese knowledge before I came so I’m not the right person to ask. Sorry!