Photo Week: Saluting Shizuoka – Part 1

Why Shizuoka (静岡)? I had a day left over from my 5 day train pass that I used in Osaka and Hiroshima. I realized I could head to Shizuoka as a day trip from Tokyo and my travel would be free. Shizuoka from Shinagawa station in Tokyo is about 4 hours away. It takes a train transfer or two, but you do get to pass Mt. Fuji. Spending the day 8 hours in transit is not ideal, but you can’t beat free :up:

Shizuoka is the 19th largest city in Japan, but it has tons of gal culture within it. There were also twice the amount of gal stores in Shizuoka 109 (静岡109 link) than in Hiroshima Parco. Even though Hiroshima is the 10th largest city in Japan.

I only spent a day in Shizuoka (I couldn’t afford any longer), but I really want to go back. If I can this trip I will.  :waves:

Scroll over for text or just enjoy the pictures as they are.

1. October 23, 2011 / 9:18 am

Shizuoka’s 109 is a mix of female and male fashion? o.o pointing this out because the ad shows that there’s a men section at the 3rd floor haha :smiley:

October 23, 2011 / 5:58 pm

Just one floor of guys so not too much of a mix. But most gal malls outside of Tokyo are a mix :D

• October 24, 2011 / 12:22 am

Ooooh I see :D! I’ve only been to Shibuya’s 109 so yeah >_<" :^_^;;:

October 24, 2011 / 3:46 am

I’m hoping to finish my travel goal of going to all four this trip XD LOL My travel goals are stupid.

2. October 23, 2011 / 9:51 am

haha aww the man posing in the second picture ;3
    i want to visit Japan so bad haha >.>

October 23, 2011 / 5:58 pm

hehehe I wish he didn’t get in my shot! I try not to take people’s face shots for privacy but if you vee into my shot I can’t help it.

3. October 23, 2011 / 11:06 am

Thanks for giving us a glimpse of a city we may not ordinarily read about!

I didn’t realize 109 had stores outside of Tokyo! Cool!

October 23, 2011 / 5:57 pm

There are 4 109s. The Shibuya one, one in Machida (Yokohama) which I briefly wrote about before, the Shizuoka 109, and the Kanazawa 109. The Shizuoka 109 and Kanazawa 109 I think are quite new.

4. October 23, 2011 / 1:43 pm

wow, amazing photo’s :) love them!! thanks for sharing :)

October 23, 2011 / 5:56 pm

Happy to post travel pics!

5. October 23, 2011 / 4:58 pm

TERROLIST!

October 23, 2011 / 5:56 pm

A very Civarized one!

6. October 23, 2011 / 9:26 pm

eheheh…. :p

i don’t really like Shizuoka that much, but when i go, i always make a pit stop at 109 :hearts:
    i really like that there’s the mens floor too, cuz then i can go wander around checking out the gyaruo boys without looking *too* obvious :smiley:

October 24, 2011 / 3:47 am

I like it because it’s small yet concentrated. However I don’t think I’d want to live there. It looks like it dies a bit at night. :(
      LOL at Shibuya 109-2 I either 1) go with guy friends who like 109-2 or 2) shop for my man and take lady friends who also worry about being too obvious XD

• October 26, 2011 / 7:47 pm

yeah, the night life in Shiz is pretty crappy…. there are hosts though!! lol. there’s a handful of clubs and they all hang around donki, but i dunno why cuz they never try to pick anybody up… lol.

• March 6, 2013 / 10:58 am

Just bumping in here haha. Aren’t Osaka and other cities in Japan (other than Tokyo) kind of similar?
          I mean it all pretty much dies at night and hosts hide. Unless maybe it’s a weekend night… And Osaka guys are more aggressive in flirting but other than that… ?

October 24, 2011 / 3:45 am

I’ve heard, but never got the chance to try it :(

7. October 24, 2011 / 1:38 am

Thank you so much for the post! I love seeing actual street snaps like this!

October 24, 2011 / 3:45 am

I’m glad you’re pleased! I know some people requested seeing more streets of Japan photos, but I was unsure if it was people or architecture D:

8. October 24, 2011 / 5:54 am

Awesome photos as always :hearts: I hope you do get to go back this time so we can see more!