Getting back to Gal Fashion

Anyone who enjoys gal fashion and loves wearing it will understand that gal is often hard work. Hard work are two four letter words that together should be outlawed when life gets in the way.

…and if you’re loving gal for enough time you will eventually come into a roadblocks of life: school overload, work overload, workout overload, money loss or lack of funds, family issues, a death of loved one, illness, injury, societal pressure, weight gain etc… There are so many life issues to take away from our enjoyment of fashion.

For new gals there is also a false perception of gal growth.

Also a heavier gal style will eventually hurt you.

a) too much tanning hurting your skin

b) acrylics killing your regular nails

c) vigorous hair dying irreversibly ruining your hair

I think within my time I’ve done all 3 :icon_eek:  I’m a winner!!  successkid.jpg

….but no one really addresses when you stumble or when gal is too much for your body.  :sage:

And from personal experience getting back to gal is often not as easy as slapping back on your eyelashes and heading out the door.  :sage:

I’ve been into gal since 2007 (dinogal/cavegal!) and there have been a lot of the problems like the ones mentioned above that have affected my outlook to gal style and my own desire to dress in gal style. Thus far they haven’t stopped me, but each time it is hard to get back into it. Hard to refocus.

This post is a) to tell you it happens to everyone and b) to work on some steps to ease you back into refocusing on yourself.

Ready… Set…. Re-GAL!

Step One: You have to want to.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with forgoing gal or giving up gal. People change, situations change. Unless gal is a style that makes you happy then why should you do it? A lot of fabulous ladies have pushed themselves to being gal influenced or fully left gal and they’re still wonderful ladies.

Pick a day you’ll make an effort.

Simply saying okay tomorrow I’ll do better doesn’t always work. It doesn’t work for the gym or diets or schoolwork. Pick a day that week where you will have time devote to putting on make-up and working a good coordinate.

Seriously WTF is Wednesday.

Before that day think about yourself and your style.

What do you want to wear? What lashes or make-up style would you like to use?

For clothing I like to make rudimentary drawings of my clothes and lay them out on paper. I do this especially when traveling, but it helps outfit planning as well.

I did a quick one in my moleskine where I prove I sketch like crap, and my handwriting could qualify me for medical school.

…but you don’t have to be talented, you just have to have a better visual diagram than your closet.

I prefer to pick two tops, two bottoms, and two shoes. Which leaves me with four outfits or more if you think could shoes dramatically changing them.

For make-up you can thumb through magazines and try a new tutorial.

This is all research you can do any time, not even that day and it helps you to continue thinking about gal.

Even if you don’t have any money you can web browse for new ideas or inspiration

Seeing the new trends and clothing pieces you like could inspire you on how to use things in your closet.

For example: I want the Murua polka dot pants, but for now my old American Apparrell polka dots leggings are getting more rotation now.

Read more gal blogs

It doesn’t have to be this one. Shop staff blogs, gaijin gal blogs, information blogs whatever. But if you spend your free time reading about it, you’re more likely to get involved in doing it and get some inspiration. I often use shop staff blogs for my inspirational lift. So much good information comes out of them from nails and hair, to current outfit stylings.

Finally: You are not alone.

Everyone has a few sloppy days or a fashion slacking off point. Now you may not draw doodles in your moleskine because of it. But if you want to get back on the gyaru train it’s always there for you. :stepup:

I hope you enjoyed my crap drawings on moleskine. I tried to keep this lighthearted because fashion should be forever fun. No matter what gets in the way of it you should always enjoy and love it on your own time.  :happydance:

I am way too proud of that chart…. :roll:

Share:

1. February 15, 2012 / 12:14 pm

ahahaha!! Love your instruction!! I think it is really helpful!

2. February 15, 2012 / 12:18 pm

I do not consider myself a gyaru at all but I adore thestyle and fashion and so, from time to time I dress up and apply on “gyaru” makeup. But I can totally see how it is difficult being a gal as it is a pricey lifestyle :/ Otherwise, this was an interesting and realistic post ^^
    and lol “wtf is wednesday” xD

xx THT Christina

3. February 15, 2012 / 12:37 pm

i really needed this to remind myself not to force myself to try too hard to be “gal”. My style lately, has been all over the place (or schizophrenic as you call it) but I totally agree with you, the gal train is always there and I like the little tips of how to get inspired and improve yourself

4. February 15, 2012 / 1:02 pm

I completely understand the ups and downs of GAL!!!! I definitely agree to at least once a week devote yourself to GAL. The best thing in life is to make yourself feel good and happy! Also the little GAL things make me happy, like a cute pencil case or phone cover! There are ways to incorporate GAL even though its not clothes so thats what I try to do to keep me going or else its easy to really fall into the lazy route :(

5. February 15, 2012 / 1:03 pm

This was an amazing post. This post can really translate to any fashion. I’m a Lolita myself and it takes just as much work as Gal and some days all I want to do is hang around my house in bland pajamas and chipped nail polish.

I really like your gaphs. They are very true to the way life works. I find when I have no money, I tend to play with my make up more and read more magazines. I also tend to eat more ice cream which doesn’t help me maintaine of loose weight, thus the weight gain. Lol! It’s a never ending battle, but I’m a fashion warrior and one day, I’ll win the war! ^_^

I really enjoy reading your blog!

6. February 15, 2012 / 1:17 pm

arrrw that is a quite interesting post!!! i absolutely love it :korila: Can’t wait to read more updatey like this one *Q*

ShuShu ♥

February 16, 2012 / 3:13 pm

I’ll try to do more like this, but I don’t think there are many like this to do ): Suggestions are always welcome!

7. February 15, 2012 / 1:29 pm

Awe, this was such a sweet/inspiring post Mitsu bby :heart: I’m definitely taking away your draw your outfits idea from this! Such a great idea & so much easier than standing in front of your closet wanting to cry because DECISIONS SUCKKKK :worries:

February 16, 2012 / 2:52 pm

HAHHAHA I laugh because it’s so true! When I don’t make my closet simpler for myself I’m always just like uh-eh-uh-gah-no-maybe in front of there for a good 20 mins D:

8. February 15, 2012 / 2:06 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I’ve always had a hard time being an every day gal between work, real life, personal pursuits, weight loss, and not a lot of money. Its really slowed down my personal perception of my gal progress. I’ve heard before people call gyaru a “lifestyle”, and if you can’t do it every day you aren’t really gal. I am so glad that I’m not the only one who has to budget their time for gal! You CAN stll be a once a week gal! :hands: Yay!

February 16, 2012 / 2:50 pm

I’m really getting sick of this sort of gal nazi sentiment when I am sure the people who say it aren’t that way every single day. Everybody needs a relax day at least. It’s good for our skin and stops us from spending time from looking in the mirror too much and not other people.

9. February 15, 2012 / 2:15 pm

Mitsu you’ve outdone yourself!!! *w* I LOOOOOVE this post! Thank you thank you thank you <3

February 16, 2012 / 2:49 pm

Oh thank you so much for liking it so much! I was a bit worried to be honest about how the reactions would be. :x

10. February 15, 2012 / 2:17 pm

haha, oh man.. I’m slacking off so hard right now. :(
    This post smacked me right in the head.

I don’t dress up often anymore, the nextdoor neighbours where I live now are pigs. No, seriously, actual pigs. and sheeps. I don’t really feel like struttin around in heels and lashes in a village, haha :worry:

February 16, 2012 / 2:48 pm

HAHHAA

I totally understand, but this made me LOL so hard.

I hope you have at least one event to get fancy for sometime! :)

11. February 15, 2012 / 2:30 pm

This post is really wonderful! I never thought of trying out a make-up tutorial once a week to keep your interest in gal refreshed so it’s something I’ll definitely have to try out. The drawings in this post were also a really nice touch and I’m sure this post will be helpful to many gals who think that you need to dress up every day.

February 16, 2012 / 2:48 pm

I don’t do it every week, but I do love to try mixing up my make-up. I feel lately I’m guilty of doing the same make-up often and it’s gotten a bit boring :(

12. February 15, 2012 / 2:46 pm

This post is just what I needed! I’ve been wanting to go back to gal style, I missed it a lot. Thank you for inspiring me!

February 16, 2012 / 2:47 pm

YAY! Get back on that train :)

13. Vibe
    February 15, 2012 / 2:53 pm

I had a crapy day today with no luck at all.. When i saw this and was happy again. Thank you.<3

February 16, 2012 / 2:47 pm

BEST COMMENT EVER! Seriously you made me so happy just to read this comment. THANK YOU!

14. February 15, 2012 / 3:18 pm

ohh this post is exactly what I need, encouragement and inspiration! :stars:

on one hand when I have done full on gyaru, other gyaru say it’s not “gyaru enough”. and yet when I tone it down others tell me to ‘wear less makeup’ (although I already wear very light popteen style makeup). and since I’m naturally shy, wearing false lashes and LIZ LISA and high heels in public definitely doesn’t come easily to me!

but lately I’ve been making an effort to doll up again, so… mitsu you’re a darling! thank you so so much for this post~ :heart:
    x

February 16, 2012 / 2:46 pm

Good luck on your journey!! I hope you put a filter between what everyone says and how you react to it. I know it’s hard, but you gotta do you for you the best you can do :)

15. February 15, 2012 / 5:13 pm

You really hit the nail on the head Mitsu! I’m going to share this post on my blog and with other gals…it seriously is not a consistent linear development when improving. Life happens…it’s just inevitable but it’s not like you can’t get back up after you fall…thanks for sharing this with us! :D

February 16, 2012 / 2:44 pm

Oh really? That’s such a compliment! Thanks for sharing!!

16. February 15, 2012 / 7:25 pm

Ahhh you really make me want to start. I never have time I just rush rush to school. I should plan my week of what to wear! Thank you!

February 16, 2012 / 2:43 pm

It really helps! Or just setting some pieces aside you want to wear that week helps!

17. February 15, 2012 / 7:53 pm

This was seriously amazing.

February 16, 2012 / 2:42 pm

I’m happy you think so!! :)

18. February 15, 2012 / 10:58 pm

this was such an amazing post!! i totally agree, everyone falls off the bandwagon once or twice (or a hundred) times, and thats okay~~

thanks for this post :)

February 16, 2012 / 2:42 pm

hahahaa Hundred T_T Oh god please no! That’s too much stress XD Thanks for enjoying the post!

19. February 16, 2012 / 1:25 am

omg mitsu exactly what i needed! this morning before work i started a blog post about slacking off in my gal style, reevaluating myself and making new fashion goals. now im home and this post was on my feed, as if written just for me.

i totally understand the perception of growth chart, the latter of the two i can definitely relate to especially the no money part, and at one point, losing self confidence. great CHART btw !

love the idea of dedicating a day just for gal // i haven’t done that in so long and i think just picking a day in advance and scheduling it would be ideal.

and visuals are always helpful, i do love moleskines (my favorite choice of journals / sketchbooks)! i like how you draw the outfits out , i need to do that more often!

thanks so much mitsu, always inspired by you !

February 16, 2012 / 2:42 pm

YAY!! You always comment such lovely things and I feel so unworthy!

You’ve got such an artist mind I am sure you could create amazing moodboards and visuals for outfits!

20. February 16, 2012 / 1:38 am

I really loved this post!! I’m still learning lots about gyaru everytime. I always play with make up though so that when I am ready to show it off it will look decent lol. I wish I could become a full time gal but in reality i am broke :cry: ,lazy, i have school and a real life!! There is no way im going to be sitting in class with large eyelashes and I also wear glasses. So what if you dress gal once a week?:happydance:

February 16, 2012 / 2:40 pm

HEY! I was that girl! Although I bought large glasses so my eyelashes wouldn’t hurt my lashes XD I know my priorities are messed :)
      Exactly! Dress what makes you happy!

21. February 16, 2012 / 4:02 am

Thank you so much for this post, it was something I really needed!
    I’ve been following lots of other fashion styles, especially visual kei, lately since I kind of lost confidence in my body and felt more comfortable in a wide shirt and damaged denims than in a cute dress or a sexy skirt. However with summer coming, I kind of want to give gal a new start and I’ve been creating outfits in my head similarly to the way you did it. I love the sketchbook idea, visuals are very important for me and I love making charts and drawings to organize my thoughts!
    Even if it requires quite some work to get into gal again, after reading your very inspirational post I feel like I’m not alone and I feel confident enough to give it another go. :wink:

February 16, 2012 / 2:38 pm

Yay! I think people underestimate the importance of lists and diagrams into organizing our lives. Not just clothes, but it’s really helpful in clothing :)

22. February 16, 2012 / 4:15 am

This is really great! Very helpful! :korila: I’ve been really stressed with everything right now, including my gal-style. Your little “tutorial” helped me calm down. Thank you! :hearts2:

February 16, 2012 / 2:38 pm

Happy to add some zen :)

23. February 16, 2012 / 5:37 am

I really want to have one day of Gal a week also, but my main problem: Cannot apply eye lashes to save my life. I know lashes isn’t the only gal thing, but I got my make-up and nails down to the bone. And I just need funds for better clothes…

So lashes! I’ve tried many times, I’ve looked at tutorials and it just doesn’t work. They just can’t seem to stick, or maybe I just can’t seem to find the right way to apply them on my lash line… It seems to be a combination of: My fingers are too big, I have no skills and my natural eye lashes are already a bit long naturally. I can work my natural eye lashes fine, but I would love to try on false eye lashes for a more dramatic look, especially when going to a special event or a night out. Any tips? T___T I don’t know what to do anymore. Lol

• February 16, 2012 / 12:13 pm

Believe me when I say: that also takes a lot of time and practice!! :cry:

February 16, 2012 / 2:37 pm

1. Use tweasers instead of fingers
      2. Let the glue dry 20 seconds
      3. Pick a glue that you can paint on the lash rib or use a small paintbrush. Don’t just squeeze from a tube.
      4. Use half lashes instead of full. Just cut the lashes you have.

I promise comparing the natural length of even long lashes to the dramatic length of gal lashes, there’s no comparison.

• February 17, 2012 / 6:40 am

I hadn’t thought of cutting the lashes in half, that definitely sounds like it would make things easier!!

Thank you, I’ll try again this weekend! :)

24. February 16, 2012 / 6:47 am

:smiley: Your post pretty much inspired me to dress up more :mrgreen: but I don’t really go out often… sadly :worry:

February 16, 2012 / 2:31 pm

I hope it makes the times you do go out a bit fancier then :)

25. February 16, 2012 / 8:08 am

What a wonderful post! I always feel pressure to look my best every day, but choosing just one day to really coordinate an outfit and doing more hair/make-up is such a convenient idea. Like another commenter said, this post can translate into any fashion really. Thanks :up:

February 16, 2012 / 2:30 pm

Thank you for enjoying it and I’m happy you could take something to use for your daily life :)

26. February 16, 2012 / 12:11 pm

That’s so nice of you! I can totally relate to that charts!! It just happens sometimes that live gets in the way!
    Also add: boyfriend who doesn’t like gyaru at all makes all difficult! (I really have no idea how to dress for dates with him, srsly….) -_-
    Anyways, great post, inspired me a lot! :korila: :hearts:

February 16, 2012 / 2:28 pm

Glad it helped!

Your BF doesn’t like gal? But he likes you right? And you in it can’t be that much of a shock? I’m so used to my man saying whatever to anything I choose I think.

27. February 16, 2012 / 2:56 pm

This is very inspirational! I really needed this. :)

28. February 16, 2012 / 3:40 pm

I’m glad you made this post, because I often feel the need I need to be gyaru everday to be gyaru… especially in Japan. Some days it’s really bothersome though, so especially ‘picking a day you’ll make an effort’ makes me feel better about myself lol.
    Also, of course money is an issue often, so browsering through webshops and finding inspirations to put on together clothes from your closet is a good hint~
    Thanks for making this post, I’m sure it makes a lot of girls feel better.

29. February 16, 2012 / 3:43 pm

lol i cant draw shoes either, but this is nice.
    i have tried to dress in gal as much as i possibley could/can because my life or areas in my life allowed it.
    i started back in about late 07 myself, and ever since then i ALWAYS heard, well, i cant dress this way for work, or dress this way for church or other little bits, but then its like, DUH, if you cannot wear your short shorts and big hair to your job, save it for when you can like when you can go out to the movies or clubbing etc.

also, using ebay,online pix, or tumblr can give you ideas for making or customizing clothes.
    thats what helped me back then when i didnt have cash all the time, and it helps me now to to just spice things up and to hold me over til i get money to buy something new.

30. February 16, 2012 / 11:37 pm

I really agree with this and I’m incredibly happy you posted it. Around the same time (2007/2008) I was heavily into gal but not really advertising it online, I wasn’t really aware of gal blogs and stuff, I just liked to dress the style for myself. Getting back into college made it so hard to keep up, not having money, not having friends interested in it.. I just felt intimidated. Now that I’m more confident, I’m really trying to get back into it. I’m hitting ALL of those roadblocks though, I recently just had to pack my entire life into boxes and move 2,000 miles from home so I lost lots of my belongings in downsizing and just not having time or money. It’s a downer, for sure. I’m really hoping with this fresh start that I’ll be able to really focus. I feel sooo awkward saying this, but having a blogger like Eki (ekiblog) in my city which I just relocated to makes me feel more motivated, because I really admire her and I see that she’s able to maintain a super cute style in a city lacking of many gyaru-style girls (that I’ve found), and in a way it’s sort of that push of “omg, what if I ran into her in person somewhere? I don’t want to look like a trainwreck!” A lot of people might think that’s a silly way to think, but at the same time, it provides just enough motivation for me to just look at myself and think ” I really want to do this, now I really have to put in the effort.” I don’t have any kind of friends here to help motivate me, but I hope I can find some and maybe even convert a few. ;) Now that I live with my sisters who are beginning to finally discover fashion (and are heavily influenced by JP/KR fashion), it will make it more enjoyable.

TL;DR, this is great, and I love following your blog. Your advice is always so wonderful, and I seriously think sometimes I just need to step back and remember that gyaru is supposed to be fun, not stressful. I’m just rediscovering the fun of it.

31. February 17, 2012 / 2:01 pm

I think this is a great and inspiring post! Thanks for sharing! :]

32. babycakes
    February 21, 2012 / 12:51 am

This post was just in good timing for me as I could get frustruated and it should never be like this because fashion should be fun :)

33. Rei
    February 21, 2012 / 2:53 pm

Thanks so much for this! I know a lot about gal and have good friends who do gal everyday. I have been afraid to try it because I had the assumption that it had to be an everyday thing or else you were not considered gal.I understand the pricey-ness of it and have figured ways around it if I were to try it.
    After reading this, I have definitely gained more confidence to try gal.
    I am so busy with school and work that I thought I would never be able to do gal and just stare from afar at how awesome all the gals look and how they show their confidence.
    I will seek the advice and guidance of my gal-friends and become the best once a week gal I can be. :heart: :wink:

February 21, 2012 / 2:59 pm

How wonderful to have supportive gal friends! I’m sure you’ll be an awesome gal once a week or not :)

34. March 27, 2012 / 10:13 am

omg thank you Mitsu! this is just the inspo I needed to get back on the gal train! xD
    it’s been hard for me lately…school is so busy cause I’m graduation in April…boyfriend hates gyaru so I gotta deal with that everytime I try to dress up…and I gained a size due to evil Xmas time food and general winter hibernation lol…. but I did get new lashes, lenses, and clothing so YAY!!!