MA*RS – Agejo mix for Spring 2012 & Agejo Survey

The Spring 2012 catalog from MA*RS came out a few days ago and I think it’s a great mix of adult agejo and traditional MA*RS style.

After we talk about MA*RS I’m hoping we can start a discussion on the future of agejo and what the MA*RS and Gold’s Infinity catalogs mean for the new look of agejo.

I really like the mix of a more adult style like the trenchcoat and Rienda-style paisley dress, but then a few pieces that are sexy and playful like the rabbit eared parka and the leopard hot pink outfit.

Personally there’s nothing in the regular MA*RS collection I’m 100% for, but I absolutely love the Real MA*RS Oraora-kei style items. I’m hoping to get the chain shorts and last parka in the catalog while their novelty fair is still going on.

Shop staff coordinates

MA*RS shop staff really represent their brand so well. I’m always impressed by their looks and dedication. Although admittedly lately I’m more impressed how they pull off a more casual agejo style. Looks taken from several shop blogs, all located here.

A few less hairsets on MA*RS staff lately, and some simple home curled hair helps the adult and casualization of agejo.

I think agejo is heading in two directions lately: a casual youthful look and an adult agejo look that is sexy but softer with cardigans or one floral instead of the total MA*RS print top & bottom set.

Agejo …your thoughts!

I think one of the most noticeable changes in gal right now is the changing of agejo. Golds Infinity and Albina was the most shocking, but MA*RS still has noticeably softened as well. With this in mind I thought I’d do a little survey.

:butterfly: AGEJO QUESTIONS:

1. Do you notice the change in MA*RS? Do you like the clothing more or less now?

2. How do you feel about less hairsets? Do you feel more interested or confident in the brand?

3. Are you for adult agejo or do you feel the style should be more bunny ear parkas and hot pink leopard top and bottom prints?

4. Would you buy more from MA*RS now or in years past? Same with Golds Infinity?

5. Do you think the rise of cheap agejo clothing at discount webstore Yumetenbo has something to do with it?

Answer any or all... Either way I really want to hear your opinions on the subject  :up:

Share:

February 7, 2012 / 10:56 am

Glad you liked!

1. February 6, 2012 / 2:31 pm

MA*RS always has such a gorgeous spring campaign :heart: I would wear all of it if I were into agejo. I am with you about appreciating the more ‘adult’ slant on the style though. The bunny ear parkas & such are cute for younger girls, but since I see agejo as a really sexy type of style, I think it’s only fitting that it takes on a sexier, more ‘serious’ edge.

February 7, 2012 / 10:55 am

They had a bunny parka for winter too and I thought it was adorable, but outside of snuggling at home I just can’t see myself wearing it anymore.

2. February 6, 2012 / 2:53 pm

I am liking this more. MA*RS always made me think this is a tacky brand. Now it is less. It’s getting classy, more mature.

ME GUSTA :hearts2:

February 7, 2012 / 10:54 am

In some ways I agree. I thought their overuse of lace was a bit too much, but it seems they’ve stepped down from that :)

3. February 6, 2012 / 2:58 pm

I thinkit is getting better. I personally prefer the darker chic cordis in the photos above too.

xx THT Christina

February 7, 2012 / 10:52 am

They’re really haunting my dreams (and pocketbook) :)

4. February 6, 2012 / 3:08 pm

Well, since I’m leaning more towards adult styles recently, I prefer the “new” agejo look. However, it would be a shame to see the old, fancy one disappearing since it’s gorgeous and really eye-catching! The trend towards less hairsets is making me more confident to give agejo a try, since to be honest, extensions are surely fun and great to look at but since my hair is very fine and thin I think extensions and hairsets would damage it too much. Also, more natural hairstyles can really look great with agejo in my opinion. As I said before, personally I prefer more adult styles, but on some days, all I want to wear is hot pink and cute clothes, so there should be some of that as well, even if agejo is becoming a more mature and classy style. I never bought much from Ma*rs before but now I seriously think about reconsidering it, there are many styles that look interesting to me this season. Still, the main reason why I did not buy as much Ma*rs clothes as I wanted to was that I felt uncomfortable in my body- I could have bought many items from Ma*rs and Golds if I had felt confident enough to wear them, but sadly I didn’t…

February 7, 2012 / 10:52 am

I agree I think MA*RS has played it right with the option of adult whilst keeping a few set and playful outfits together. I also agree about the natural hair and MA*RS. I like hairsets, but I don’t like the obligation anymore of hairsets + agejo = a must. Maybe it’s me relaxing about style… >_<

I hope you find some more confidence! Every girl deserves to feel and dress beautiful ♥

5. February 6, 2012 / 3:54 pm

Oh I really love this post, because this change in agejo style has occupied me for a while. I’m very happy you’re giving the issue some attention :D will you keep tracking the developments?

If you don’t mind I’d like to give the questionaire a go :D
    Personally, if it’s ok to say so, I feel like Ma*rs’ new releases remind me a lot more of agejo the way it was before it went as sweet and lolita-like as it’s been the last 2 years. It reminds me of the 2008/9 Glamorous Jane stuff (I :hearts2: ) when blazers were in, dress cuts were simple and prints may have been less ott. I’ve been waiting to see that come back and even considered just buying the old stuff online but Ma*rs’ new releases like the butterfly/flower print dress and the paisley dress come very close to the items I once fell in love with..

This is a difficult question. On the one hand I’m missing all the hair, I wouldn’t mind some more toned-down hairstyles but hair-set-salons provide less ott hairstyles that can look mature and modest, but very very pretty aswell, more than we can do at home by ourselves right? So I’d like to see more hairsets back, even though they don’t need to always be miles-high and hard as a rock~~

I’m for something wearable so I suppose in the Ma*rs’ case that’s the ‘adult’ version, but Golds is really a different thing..

About Ma*rs, more now honestly! I hope they’ll have some of this stuff left when I visit in August :worry:
    But I’m not sure about Golds.. I like their new style and they’ve inspired me, but I can get stuff in that style from all kinds of shops, I would be more likely to look around and find the most appealing items in my own town, or from other gal brands even, really~

I don’t think I can really answer this question, my gut feeling sais no: it’s just a change in trends. But I don’t track the activities in gyaru markets and trend-making so I really wouldn’t feel right taking responsibility for an answer XD

Sorry for the long text -_- I’m passionate about this style~~

February 7, 2012 / 10:37 am

Charlotte! I am so happy you spoke up so much on this issue! I was actually thinking of you writing this post since you have stuck by agejo for so long and I would consider someone very knowledgable on the subject :)

You’re absolutely right about the Glamorous Jane pieces! WTF happened to MeJane?!? I was so in love with their expensive agejo look with furs and delicate chiffons and fun girly prints. Now it seems so different.

I also wonder how Ageha’s magazine sales are doing since there is less over the top in real life. Do ladies still prefer reading the fantasy and looking at fantasy hairsets? Or will Ageha move towards a more hostess lifestyle magazine.

6. February 6, 2012 / 5:43 pm

I love the Real Style items, right up my alley! :up:

I personally quite like the new toned down MA*RS style. The gaudy full print pieces, though cute, always seemed much too costumey for everyday wear. I think they are ok for special occasions, and I wouldn’t want them to fade out – for fear that agejo would continue down the casual path and eventually meld in with regular gal. I admit, I am sad to see less hair sets, because complicated hair really amazes me to no end and helps me strive to improve. On the other hand, it is gratifying to see more simple hairstyles because I feel like far too many Westerners have an extremely played up idea of what gal is; including always perfect, big, curly hair. I don’t know that I will ever buy from the brands, as I really care more about bargains and the look of it than labels – but those Real Style items are extremely tempting. I think the change in the brands may be due to not only a change in trends, but competition. There are a lot of new, more casual gal brands out there, and they are doing very well. I wonder if MA*RS felt they needed a bit of change in the hopes of drawing more people in.

February 7, 2012 / 10:47 am

I agree! For me those pieces were a special night out kind of clothing. I only felt right wearing their separates during the day to class or such.

On the other hand, it is gratifying to see more simple hairstyles because I feel like far too many Westerners have an extremely played up idea of what gal is; including always perfect, big, curly hair. – thank you so much for this. I wish there wasn’t as much of a disconnect as how shop staff versus models and girls who go to the extreme. It’s the exception to the rule, no the rule.

MA*RS hasn’t gotten a new store in a few years so I do wonder about that. While most bigger brands are expanding at least a little into smaller towns.

7. February 6, 2012 / 6:35 pm

I’m loving the Real Style more than the original MA*RS!! :hearts:
    I think MA*RS still keeping their original collection with the same prints and designs, but just chaning it a bit and branching out to other styles to appeal wider audience – like the Real Style for ‘hard style D.I.A loving’ gyaru, and bunny ears, florals, cardigans for younger/ sweet-kei gals.

Loling forever at the engrish on the last pic of staff-chan! I love it!! X’DD

February 7, 2012 / 10:44 am

FuckyeahRealMA*RS!

hahaha isn’t that funny! I know my English readers would crack up about that. I have an English friend in the states and she finds fanny so hilarious, when in the US it’s usually used by Southern mothers as a gentile way of saying “butt” XD

8. February 6, 2012 / 7:52 pm

what’s this?! rock agejo?!! me likey!

hmm… i’m all for adult agejo, i mean, the wearers of those clothes are growing up too, but i still think they should keep the hairsets. that’s a really big part of the image, and wearing all those fluffy, frilly clothes without the big hair looks a bit weird imo…

February 7, 2012 / 10:41 am

I think more just simple Oraora. They’ve had Real MA*RS around for a while, but with Oraora getting stronger I think it’s gaining some more rack space within MA*RS.

I don’t know if I agree with you, since my favorite look of the shop staff is the last one. I think she’s pulling back her hair, but showing off her fun outfit very well :)

9. February 6, 2012 / 8:21 pm

I think it’s a more subtle change, but they still retain that feel of the sexy-cute mix. I think I like it now since it’s more ‘adult’ looking.

Less hairsets is probably trying to make agejo more ‘attainable.’ It’s a pretty high maintenance style, maybe decreasing hairsets make it less intimidating to buy into the brand.

Hey….who said bunny ears and leopard can’t be adult? Haha xD

I’d probably think about getting a few pieces from MA*RS, but I sort of liked the old Golds Infinity – I feel like Golds Infinity is veering off somewhere else…too much like other brands!

Definitely. It’s always competition to draw in customers! Most people are marginal spenders (:

February 7, 2012 / 10:39 am

I agree the change has been subtle. I think it’s the best way for brands to evolve :) Good job, MA*RS!

leopard and bunny ears: hahahaa I agree! I hate that somehow society with age considers taking away fun stuff like bunny ears and leopard …and pajamas with the feet XD

10. Babycakesface27
    February 6, 2012 / 9:21 pm

I like the change in MA*RS it does not mean it turned for the worse it’s just changing and I like this change the clothes still look cute and sexy.

IMO less hairsets are good for me because my hair is already very delicate and almost anything can make it break keeping me from growing my hair healthy. I think hairsets should be for special occassions and the more simple curls still look nice.

I like their prints it’s what got me in the style how they put it all together so they shouldn’t get rid of it at all.

More from MA*RS i’m not sure about gold’s infinity.

I have no clue, but if you really like the brand you do anything to get it i guess lol

February 7, 2012 / 10:34 am

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

I side with you on hairsets. As someone trying to restore and grow their hair after too many dye jobs and cuts, it’s just too much to hairset your hair all the time. Although I still love looking at some of them :)

11. February 7, 2012 / 3:17 am

I like MA*RS oraora-kei style items, I think its nice :) though personally I prefer their old line of stuff >_<

February 7, 2012 / 10:32 am

I do love classic MA*RS and I don’t think they’ll ever 100% let go of that hopefully :)

February 7, 2012 / 10:31 am

They will never stop loving those two colors!

February 7, 2012 / 10:31 am

Yup! Although I think I’d term Real MA*RS more Oraora. Since they go with solely monotone and skulls and gold and silver. Instead of punk influences like rock :)

12. February 7, 2012 / 3:45 am

I like the change personally more than before. I like Ma*rs since I know it, but it was always a bit too much for wearing in CH. So I like the adult agejo more ;)
    I will definitely buy some stuff from this collection. It’s a must I think, smile.

February 7, 2012 / 10:30 am

I think there is a definite compromise coming with MA*RS suiting those who like girly sexy cute, but need a certain restraint.

13. February 7, 2012 / 5:52 am

I’ve loved MA*RS and Golds Infinity for a little over a year now, but I would have never worn any of their pieces because I don’t think they fit well into my style, and I didn’t feel comfortable in the bold prints. I liked checking out the catalogues and seeing the brands on other girls, but not on me.

Now with the changes and heading towards a softer more adult style, I’m intrigued and am actually starting to think I would wear some of their new pieces and style. Especially Real MA*RS it’s TOTALLY what I would wear on a daily basis!

I love the hot pink leopard prints, but I also like the more toned down look of black and white, with chains here and there.

All in all I’m really liking where MA*RS is going, more than Golds Infinity.

February 7, 2012 / 10:28 am

I agree, I am hoping to get a few Real MA*RS pieces. I don’t think they’d be that out there compared to regular everyday gal items.

14. February 7, 2012 / 6:08 am

WOW WOW I loooooove Black Style of MA*RS brand!!
    So much pink is booring>o<

February 7, 2012 / 10:27 am

Real MA*RS seems to be really making a strong showing this season!

15. V
    February 7, 2012 / 9:32 am

I really like the Real Style MA*RS :) I also like the first 3 pictures of the new spring styles
    I’m not really a fan of MA*RS previous stuff because I could never pull off an Agejo style :^_^;;: But the adult style is maybe something I could wear.

February 7, 2012 / 10:27 am

Real MA*RS makes me happy, too! I also agree that the first bit of the catalog for regular MA*RS is best.

16. February 7, 2012 / 10:48 am

I love everything in the Real Ma*rs catalog!!! The paisley print is a nice toned down surprise but t least it doesn’t deviate too much from it’s original style and concept. I’ll try to answer the questions the best I can:

Haha, I think the changes are pretty obvious. It’s hard to really say if I love it more or less, I definitely love the oraora-kei clothes by Real Ma*rs and the softened look of the colours and paisley print makes it less intimidating to attempt agejo, however, I kindda miss the old (in a way, slutty) look.

I think its sad to see the glamorous look of the hairsets disappearing, however, I do recall Popteen used to model Ma*rs clothes in their magazines and the models didn’t really get elaborate hairsets done on them, so I still think its kindda acceptable but less of the glitz and glamour.

Personally, I’d prefer adult agejo. However, the new Golds Infinity still scares me.

It’s possible I might purchase something from Ma*rs now, probably since my parents wouldn’t get a heart attack if they see me wearing it. However, if I had more confidence, I’d definitely pick the older style over the current one.

Hmm, I don’t really think so. I think it’s more of the target market growing up and getting older and developing a shift in their personal style and needs, so in a way, many brands are forced to develop more mature styles to cater to this niche market. I think agejo style will persist, however, it will be subjected to different styles as time goes by.

The survey was fun :)

17. February 7, 2012 / 2:41 pm

I think the change could be influenced by a generation of hostesses growing up and changing. Like how mode came out of gals growing up and not wanting to look quite as wild as they did in their youth. Add in a side of recession…I don’t have any definitive data but hearsay is that the hostessing industry is not doing well recently especially in Tokyo, and even besides that your average shop staff doesn’t have as much free cash to go out and get hairsets anymore. I suspect that the post-earthquake “let’s tone it down” maybe even filtered into gyaru o-O

Love the real*mars stuff, I’m tempted to go into the store now and look at some of it in person (gulp).

18. February 8, 2012 / 8:56 am

Looking at the ad scans I wasn’t really feeling the latest collection, but then you put in the staff coordinates and I was sold. Even though I probably wouldn’t wear 99% of it, I think it looks great! Apart from the cheetah onepiece, it’s just making those tiny girls look boxy -_-

19. February 8, 2012 / 9:43 am

im totally on board with the real style mars! i do like the new style concept Mars is going towards, it seems more wearable for me <3 :bow: the old style was cute to look at, but now the clothes seem much more tempting to buy (oh no!) hahaha i really like the toned down hair too, it seems much more practical (although i do love elaborate hairsets!) & Mars could gain a whole new clientele by sporting casual hair with this.

20. March 20, 2012 / 11:02 pm

This is a nice web site. Good fresh interface and nice informative articles. I will be coming back soon, thanks for the great article.

21. March 21, 2012 / 5:30 am

“Very good post. It really helped me a lot, will be referring a lot of friends about this.