Trendwatching: High Low & Handkerchief Skirts

Blunt ends on skirts are soooo last year. Haven’t you heard? High Low is the new Black ….If I had to type like that more than 3 sentences I might kick myself in the head. :evil:  But it’s true! Everywhere gyaru brands are doing different skirt hems for summer.

High low skirts are great for those ladies who want to show off their legs. They’re also kind to legs. Cellulite is more evident on the back of the leg where the lack of big muscles are. Knees and big quad muscles tend to break up the evidence of minor cellulite.

Lots of styles to choose from and you may notice it totally differs how HIGH and how LOW the skirt goes. Mini, midi, maxi they’re all here. Side high, front high, just no back high (that’d be hella funny though :yayforyay:  ).

Handkerchief skirts are kind of a rift of the high-low. Enough were showing up to make note of them. I really love the dancer-style Lip Service one.

If you didn’t notice pastels are showing up with this trend. They work so well with layers and chiffon as well. Handkerchief skirts are best for those who aren’t too confident with their legs or just don’t want to show them. The emphasis is on the bottom which draws away from hips and thighs.

These skirts are difficult to balance with a top. The off shoulder type like Laguna Moon and Lip Service above works best. Nothing puffy or dolman sleeved unless the skirt is short, like Love Boat’s styling.

Western brands are showing that they can do high-low. However a) the price was around $60 on the karmaloop & nastygal ones, so pretty much the same price as gal brands ….and b) they’re not as visually pleasing as some of the better chiffon layered ones above.

Share:

1. February 23, 2012 / 11:10 am

I love the high-low styles! I even made my own prom dress with this hem-style too :)

xx tht-christina.blogspot.com

2. February 23, 2012 / 11:57 am

I love the high low skirts! No fan of the handkerchief skirts, I find them looking cheap because of the cut!

However, the high low skirt always have such a lovely flow! <3

3. February 23, 2012 / 12:15 pm

I’ve always liked high low skirts since the manga authors Clamp, kept drawing them. It’ll be a nice addition to any wardrobe for abit of spunk be it in season or not

4. February 23, 2012 / 12:20 pm

nice blog~~~ ★☆★ Followed ★☆★ ~\(≧▽≦)/~

5. February 23, 2012 / 12:24 pm

I really like this trend, especially as it’s also been trending in the West as it makes it much easier for us Western girls! :heart:

In my opinion it’s a little bit daring since it’s definitely different from your cookie cutter skirt hems; I wish I was brave enough to wear it!

6. February 23, 2012 / 12:57 pm

So happy to see this style trending again for this year :hearts: It’s one of my favourite skirt styles in a longgg time!

7. February 23, 2012 / 1:03 pm

Side high, front high, just no back high ~ haha i feel like i could chant that if i had to advertise those skirts.. i know bloomzy did a coordinate post with those skirts. thanks for showing the variety of them, i would love to try those out , just need to buy some wedges to wear with it because i can’t imagine wearing flats with those .

8. February 23, 2012 / 1:17 pm

I always wanted an assymetric skirt. I’m in love with the Laguna Moon one!!! I wish I could buy it! Compared to the western equivalents, I think the Japanese brands are so much cuter!! Too bad it’s Japan ;_;

9. February 23, 2012 / 1:53 pm

Forever 21 has MASSIVE amounts of high-lows. Personally I think these look horrible on short women (I am one ><) even with heels. You have to get the proportions just right, and it's really difficult as the majority of the ones produced for mass retail such as F21 are made for tall women.

10. February 23, 2012 / 2:04 pm

I really love handkerchief skirts! That Liz Lisa skirt is gorgeous!

11. February 23, 2012 / 2:15 pm

Theyre really nice but I dont think I could pull them off
    I really like thw leopard SLY one though!

12. February 23, 2012 / 4:53 pm

I loooove the High Low skirt trend~ I bought my high low leopard print skirt from pacsun for a $10 steal! ;D

13. February 23, 2012 / 6:10 pm

We call that “mullet skirt” in Australia and the trend has died for bit. I never owned a skirt like that but I kind of want to! especially in black :3 :heart: :!:

14. February 23, 2012 / 6:42 pm

These are beautiful! I’m not sure I have the confidence to wear these tho :(

15. February 23, 2012 / 7:04 pm

This is a trend I would blindly follow! haha I love this trend :) I actually bought a skirt like that a few months ago.

16. Heather
    February 23, 2012 / 9:37 pm

Too 90’s for me

17. February 23, 2012 / 9:58 pm

Love the handkerchief ones but I’m not convinced by the high low ones, I reckon you need good legs to pull it off!

18. February 24, 2012 / 12:23 am

I love that Liz Lisa one…never thought I would say that but if I could buy it (easily) I would!

19. February 24, 2012 / 11:44 am

Oh, I just got the high-low strapless dress for summer! It’s so versatile too and because it’s actually a dress I don’t have to think what to pair with it :) Your posts are always so interesting, informative and easy to read! Love your blog!~

20. February 24, 2012 / 9:13 pm

I love the high low skirts, so fab. Asymmetrical clothes are a lot of fun and I would be all over that Murua skirt (or the Mercury Duo one) if I were in Japan right now. :heart:

21. February 25, 2012 / 1:58 am

I like the pink one from karma loop. But I’m not sure if I will be able to work this trend. I haven’t exposed my legs in a while. They are the lightest thing on me.

22. February 26, 2012 / 7:57 pm

hmm… guess i’m not gonna be trendy this summer… not such a huge fan of these… i kinda like the leopardy SLY one at the top though, and the less crazy-difference ones… and you’re right, they would be really hard to balance with a top! hopefully there will be more *coughbettercough* summer trends to chose from!

March 1, 2012 / 12:01 am

There’s a lot of summer trends (i talked about dots and sunglasses as well and stadium jackets and trench coats and some other things in brand posts), although some are a bit boring like pastels and such which is easy to see and well… summery!

23. babycakes
    February 28, 2012 / 10:19 pm

This is new to me & kinda fun be cuz the other long skirts are just boring or make me look weird since am short lol

February 29, 2012 / 11:46 pm

I agree! I think they could look a bit nicer than a maxi skirt for a short girl (which a lot of Japanese girls are) :)

24. February 29, 2012 / 11:07 am

Some lovely trends for S/S. I love my high-low skirt, so it was nice to see them pop up here too.

February 29, 2012 / 11:45 pm

I was thinking of you, apparently another commenter was as well :)

25. April 23, 2012 / 10:14 pm

Hi Mitsu, I love the high low skirt! :up: I did a DIY skirt on my blog, and I referenced and linked this post. I hope that is OK as your blog is a great source of inspo for me. :heart: