Photo Friday: Ninja Temple and Walking around Kanazawa

Brand posts aplently next week or even Saturday to make up for my lack this week also another trendwatching. Keep a look out!

I decided to make Thursday – Sunday a period of posting gorgeous nails from Japanese salons I find inspiring on my tumblr

http://inspireddoll.tumblr.com/ if you love nail art, do follow  :happydance:

The place the locals call “Ninja Temple”

One of the coolest yet most random things I did when visit Kanazawa was go to the Ninja Temple.

It’s known as Ninjadera (忍者寺) locally, but it’s real name is Myouryuji Tera (妙立寺). It was actually not run by ninjas but was constructed by a seriously paranoid ruling lord as a military outpost but within Shogun strict building codes. It has stairs that go nowhere, traps, and hideaway areas. You can only visit it by scheduled tour which is only done in Japanese. (“One does not simple go to the Ninja Tera“) My taxi driver actually called them up and scheduled one for me, I didn’t realize I needed an appointment, but he was incredibly nice and did so for me. You cannot take pictures inside the place and English guidebook is rudimentary at best. However, it’s a really cool place.

After I did my tour I decided just to walk back to the main city and photos after the Ninjadera around Tera Machi (the temple city because there are so many in one neighborhood) are what I saw as I walked.

The last two photos are an example of an older neighborhood’s bridge over the flood system stream vs. the newer more inside the city fancier bridge. The sound of running water everywhere is so calming.  :o

Share:

1. April 13, 2012 / 11:26 am

Whoa, whoa, whoa, a Ninja Temple?! That sounds utterly AWESOME. If I were an extremely paranoid ruling lord, I probably would’ve done the same! I’ve got to wonder if there have been people who’ve crept in without a tour guide, and who’ve got trapped in one of the hidden traps there! Kind of creepy, but totally my cup of tea!

Love the photographs too, very reminiscent to the area we stayed in, in Asakusa :).

April 15, 2012 / 9:56 am

hahahaa yeah he was seriously taking the crazy pills XD

Yup! Two very old style places :D

2. April 13, 2012 / 9:17 pm

NINJA TEMPLE? DAMN! MUST GO! I like the last two shots too. It’s a real difference! But, it’s really interesting that things are built like that!

April 15, 2012 / 9:55 am

Agreed! I think it’s cool how the city shows its age just by bridges :)

3. April 13, 2012 / 11:01 pm

what a cute name for the temple :) by the way what is the place name call?

April 15, 2012 / 9:54 am

This was in Kanazawa :)

4. April 15, 2012 / 3:05 pm

Such a cool place! You got some amazing photos too :heart:

5. April 17, 2012 / 8:58 pm

Wow! The bridges! *O* Fantastic! I’d love to visit those places!
    Thanks for sharing your photos!