Photo Friday: Kasuga Taisha Nara Shrine

I’m not big on shrines in Japan because I overdid it in Kyoto, but the Kasuga Taisha shrine (春日大社) in Nara (奈良) is one of my favorites for its gorgeous lanterns and cute heart-shaped ema (絵馬). For some reason I’m also a big fan of moss, I get excited to see stone things covered in moss (weirdo). I visited back in 2010 but never posted photos. They’re so beautiful I don’t know why I waited.

Apparently “During the festivals of Setsubun Mantoro (February 2–4) and Obon Mantoro (August 14–15), the thousands shrine lanterns of Kasuga-taisha are all lit at once.” – (wiki). I really want to see that! It must be so beautiful!

Share:

1. July 6, 2012 / 12:46 pm

Ooh, I went there a couple times too, even for some weird ass matsuri, one of the oldest remembered matsuri in whole Japan with out professor, but I forgot what it was about, but there was a lot of burning things and crazy misticism. xD Other than that, the shrine is lovely! :D

And I also get excited by moss :D

July 10, 2012 / 9:51 am

hahahaha that sounds great actually! I dig the whole more out there Shinto ceremonies :) I just like religious ceremonies (even though I’m not) :)
      YAY another moss lover :):)

July 10, 2012 / 9:50 am

Thanks!!

2. July 6, 2012 / 1:44 pm

I would love to go there <3

July 10, 2012 / 9:50 am

I definitely recommend it! Nara’s a great day visit from Kyoto or Osaka :)

3. July 6, 2012 / 1:59 pm

Beautiful pictures! You are right, this shrine seems to be special. And most of the shrines I saw in Kyoto were pretty, but I liked others more too. My favourite shrine is one in the mountains of Nagano and it was just breath-taking.

One of the festival-days appears to be my bday. Maybe I will take the opportunity and visit this shrine to see all the laterns lit at once at that special day…

July 10, 2012 / 9:49 am

I went to one in Nagano but I wasn’t bowled over. Maybe it was the wrong time of year or the wrong one?

That would be a great day to celebrate a birthday :)

4. July 6, 2012 / 3:39 pm

Omg the heart thingy is a nice twist!!

July 10, 2012 / 9:47 am

Isn’t it sweet! Since it was near my anniversary I was happy to be there with my man and make a relationship wish ema :)

5. July 6, 2012 / 6:35 pm

Kasuga Taisha Shrine is such a beautiful place and Nara’s most famous shrine. Did you know that it is dedicated to the deity responsible for the protection of the city of Nara.

Japan Australia

July 10, 2012 / 9:47 am

Yup! I remember that plaque outside. Nara should be well protected then :)

6. July 6, 2012 / 11:57 pm

Kasuga Taisha is so beautiful, I was there once with a friend from Kyoto and I absolutely loved it. It must be amazing to see all the pretty lanterns being lit during matsuri season :D

July 10, 2012 / 9:45 am

Agreed! I would like to try to make it back there some year! :)

7. July 9, 2012 / 11:42 pm

I totally understand what you mean about moss. I love moss covered things. This shrine is absolutely beautifulm thank you for the lovely pictures :]

July 10, 2012 / 9:43 am

Yay! Another moss lover! Happy to share, it still ranks high on my shrine list even after visiting several after that :)