Gyaru Winter Coat Trends

This post took a lot longer to compile than I thought because I realized I’ve never made a pure coat post. SHAME ON ME! Seriously though 4 years of blogging about fashion and I can’t make a pure coat post? WTF! Anyhoot, that is fixed today. I’ve decided to make it a thorough one and discuss trends I see that are newer this year and enduring coat trends that are often in gyaru brands.

Newer Coat Trends for AW 2012

Just like Rienda to take a bulky item and make it sexy! I love how all of these are lending themselves to warmth, but look very girly and feminine whether through fabric (Liz Lisa and Rienda) or cut (Murua and Egoist).

This is a newer coat trend falling into the adult girly that’s popular for Winter and also the double-breasted trend that’s also popular. However the double breasting is only at the breast which stops the extra bulk around the belly that’s the horrible thing about double breast coats. How classy do all these look?  :dotbow: I feel this is a wonderful look for those who are pear-shaped since it balances out the pear shape of your body and draws the eye up with collars and buttons.

Biggest new trend for fall! Especially the belted styles. Wide collars are a very trendy item and make coats look a bit more expensive. The Rienda one especially I see as wonderful for apple-shaped because of its flatter lines and disguising of the bust. The Miia one with the hip-flare is a nice pear-shaped option.

Enduring Gyaru Coat Trends

Throughout my gyaru winter life I’ve owned 2 full faux fur coats! They’re always popular, keep in the warmth and there’s a design for every style preference. I’m particularly in love with the Murua one.

I personally love poncho coats! For apple-shaped they’re a wonderful option!! It’s also very easy to wear bulk sweaters underneath without having to worry if they bunch up underneath coats. I have a beige one from Laguna Moon from last year and it will be in style for seasons to come.

I am sure you rock and OraOra lovers were sitting through this post going “Damnit Mitsu and her current sweet love is just annoying. Where’s my edginess?!?” Military coats will always be a gyaru staple with rock or cool style looks. Glad News and Murua options are two that will last for several seasons and look very stylish.

Tips for buying a Winter Coat that will last you more than one Winter:

I’m a clothes whore that’s a cheapskate at heart. One of the things I feel that you don’t have to buy every season is a winter coat. Even with gyaru style’s quick changing mentality.

:bow: – Pick a color that is neutral. I don’t just mean black or beige. The grey trench from Murua or the military green one from Glad News are two other neutrals that look great. That white from Dazzlin is also quite fancy.

:bow: – If not a full fur coat pick a coat with removable fur. The fur can get old over time and it saves on washing. Also if the fur looks outdated it can be removed for a newer looking coat.

:bow: – Sales are already starting for some coats, keep in mind a good bargain for even next year’s style.

:bow: – Shop for your seasonal average. Sure that puffy coat looks cute, but when it doesn’t get as cold in your area it’s not a good buy. That light trench may be adorable, but it may be only a fall option in your area.

1. Jamie November 16, 2012 / 5:20 pm

I know those puffy coats are quite warm and I’ve seen a lot of people with them already but I’m afraid that I can’t pull it off. I love all the coats you featured. I’m kinda nuts about the military ones.

• Mitsu November 19, 2012 / 9:08 pm

I always worry about puffy coats, although I think the waist helps anyone who’s not an apple (ie me D:)

2. Jali November 17, 2012 / 3:04 pm

I love most of these picks, but I’m afraid practicality wins over fashion for me (I live in Eastern Canada). I adore that brown Rienda poncho, but the thought of trying to scrape and dig my car out of a snow drift, in the middle of a -30C blizzard in February makes me wanna curl up and die, lol. Sadly, winter in Tokyo is on par with autumn here, (climate-wise) so their “winter” coats just don’t amount to much seasonal mileage for me… and the cost to buy and import them doesn’t help either. :(

I really should move to a warmer climate lmao.

3. Jali November 17, 2012 / 3:05 pm

Although, tbh, that Liz Lisa puffy coat… hnnngg…. oh god, shut up and take my money!! XD

• Mitsu November 19, 2012 / 9:07 pm

Agreed! It sold out and I’m sure it will be restocked. It’s such a popular coat!

4. Sarah November 17, 2012 / 4:29 pm

I really like the look of the military style coats! The super puffy or furry ones are not really practical in Australia, unfortunately, unless you are looking for something to wear when outdoors at night only. This post is useful as we are almost in summer so there are a lot of clearance sales; I’ll be able to pick out something a bit more gyaru for next year, for a change! :)

• Mitsu November 19, 2012 / 9:06 pm

How neat! I often forget about the Australia problem. Are you always sale hunting? :)

5. marron November 17, 2012 / 8:11 pm

I’m really loving the wide collar trend! What are some places online you recommend for buying them?

• Mitsu November 19, 2012 / 9:06 pm

Really I’ve only been seeing them at pricier US stores so the Japan coat prices are the best especially since coat sales are already starting!

6. FAYE November 18, 2012 / 8:18 am

god, i love girly ponchos. mine was the best investment ever.

• Mitsu November 19, 2012 / 9:05 pm

YASSS!! I have a heavy sweater one and a trench one and I will forever wear both :)

7. Zia November 18, 2012 / 9:36 am

I love the girly ponchos! Too bad I can’t pull them off!

• Mitsu November 19, 2012 / 9:05 pm

Girly ponchos are so comfortable. Had to hold myself back from buying another XD

• Mitsu November 19, 2012 / 9:04 pm

OMG that looks fabulous! Love how chic the collar looks!

• Monique December 6, 2012 / 5:38 pm

OMG! That coat is soooo elegant! *O*

8. Monique December 6, 2012 / 5:38 pm

Thanks so much for those tips! I’ll always keep those in mind when I buy my new coat next year (I’m on the southern hemisphere ;D )
    I love the white Duras coat and the Ladymade fur one! So classy! :)

• alita December 27, 2013 / 6:59 pm

Love the idea of a beautifully patterned puffy coat! Where are all the rest of them? I can just imagine all the amazing patterns that could go onto a puffy coat!

Although, why people still wear fur in 2013 is beyond me. Its the least classy thing there is! Disheartening to know some folks are still so out if it. Maybe they don’t look at the internet.