Where to buy cute shoes in Japan

I can’t believe I haven’t talked about all the cute gyaru shoe shops in Japan. I know I’ve posted pictures of many but actually not talked about them? Shame on me! This post is thanks to an anonymous tumblr question wanting suggestions for cute comfortable shoes to buy in Japan. I love tumblr questions, please send me some and who knows maybe they’ll inspire another post!

Back in 2009 I wrote a tips for buying shoes in Japan post that I still agree with, although wow old style me we need a talk. :roll: I will not rehash that information but to remind you if you’re above a 9US you’re out of luck mainly in buying shoes from Japan. Also most Japanese shoes aren’t made of leather (import duties are so expensive).

First if you love a clothing brand, check their shoes! Pretty much every brand carries their own shoes designed to suit their season’s look. However there’s a lot of great stand-alone shoe stores in Japan offering all the trendiest looks at decent prices. Below are main shoe stores especially those that gyaru like and a quick intro to what they offer.

Kobe Randa

website: http://www.kobe-randa.com/
webstore: http://www.kobe-randa.com/
blog: http://ameblo.jp/randa-blog/

Quick comment: Tons of selection, two convient stores in Tokyo, good prices, LL friendly

This is the place I’d recommend above all others. Lots of selection, best prices for the selection. Sales often. Also very convient if you’re in Tokyo with one shop on Takeshita Dori in Harajuku (english map with wonderful instore photos) and one in Kabukicho, Shinjuku.

japanshoestores-koberanda-hiroshima

Randa in Hiroshima at night

Bonita

website: http://bonita-shoe.com/
webstore: used to be http://www.esp-shoe.com/

Quick comment: Cheapest, not often the cutest or most trending, can find a gem or two, LL friendly

In 109-2, Ueno ab-ab, Shinjuku Alta and other discount-type gyaru malls. Great prices, but often not the best quality. Still a lot of cute shoes to be found.

japan-shoestores-bonita-kobe-gyaru

Bonita in Kobe

ABC Mart

Quick comment: A billion locations in Tokyo, very cheap, LL friendly, semi poor gyaru selection

Not a gyaru shoe store, but a regular shoe store. Everywhere in Japan. Very cheap, but their selection of gyaru shoes is pretty limited. Still if you’re on a super tight budget check them out.

japan-shoestores-abcmart-tokyoueno

ABC Mart in Ueno

Esperaza

webstore: http://www.esp-shoe.com/

Quick comment: Tons of locations around Japan, always have the trendiest shoes

Basement of 109 and Shinjuku Lumine EST are their big locations in Tokyo. Found most every city. On the semi-high side with prices but if something is trending first they always have it.

japanshoestores-esperanza-omiyaarche-saitama-gyaru

Esperanza in Omiya Arche mall in Saitama

Flag-J

website: http://www.flag-j.net/
webstore: 109-net (non tenso friendly) girlswalker

Quick comment: Amazing store in 109, varied selection, price is often medium to high

Their 109 store on the second floor is the largest store in 109. It’s amazing and a wonderful trek for any shoe lover. If you’re a 96gyaru or love more old style looks like pointy above the knee boots or such this is the place to find the perfect shoe.

flagj-kanazawa-japaneseshoestores

Flag-J in Kohrinbo 109 in Kanazawa

R&E Rosessence

website: http://www.rosessence.jp/
webstore: http://store.rosessence.jp/ also on girlswalker

Quick comment: Oneegyaru love it, great selection, trendiest shoes

I always see the chicest gyaru in R&E they look fabulous and come out looking even more fabulous. Good selection even better for Oneegyaru. R&E and Esperanza battle for who is the trendiest with the most IT shoes each season.

japanshoestores-roseessence-rande-gyaru-ikebukuroparco

R&E in Ikebukuro Parco

Pool side

website: http://www.poolside.ne.jp/
webstore: http://www.shoesconcierge.jp/shop/default.aspx
shop blog: http://www.shoesconcierge-blog.jp/ncp/

Quick comment: Super expensive in comparison, small selection

A mention because it’s in 109 and been around forever, but the prices are always 5,000 yen more than other stores and yet their selection is limited. Don’t be swayed because it’s on the first floor of 109, save your pennies for either B1 with Esperanza and R&E or F2 with Flag-J.

japanshoestore-lagracemart-fukuoka-gyaru

Cheap small shoe stores abound. LaGrace Mart around gyaru malls (this one in Fukuoka Tenjin Core) offer sassy choices.

Japan livers or long-time visitors let others know of your shoe experience and what’s your favorite  :dotbow:

Also, next post is shoe related with an early preview of Spring shoe trends:shoe:

44 Responses to “Where to buy cute shoes in Japan”

1. Mizu chan says:

*__* that’s so pretty!!!
    but it might be hard to find my size TT

2. Aki says:

Yaaay~! Since I know my size I can definitely check these places out! Whoops there goes my bank account~

3. Curse me and my huge feet! :(

• Mitsu says:

Japanese stores could make some decent money going up to a 3L or such for shoes. I have no idea why they don’t. There have got to be some big footed women in Japan as well being sad.

4. L says:

I love R&E and Esperanza! But definitely looking for shoes in clothing stores is great too. I thought Twinroom had some nice shoes this season. Oh and when I was in Tokyo last December I don’t think Bonita was in 109-2 anymore. :(

• Mitsu says:

I can’t find more of Bonita info, I do wonder what’s up with that. I wonder if they’re phasing out their Alta store as well (which was my go to for Bonita).

5. S says:

You mentioned a lack of shoes above size 8.5US but is there any luck for a girl with small feet? (size 2.5 or 3 US) ;-(

• Mitsu says:

In my previous post I talk about sizing, you may want to click and see how that works. I know Kobe Randa does SS as well.

6. sotaina says:

Yet another drawback to having huge, fat feet – no cute Japanese shoes! :C

• Mitsu says:

I wish Yumetenbo would step up to the shoe racket. I feel like they go up to 4L in sizing to make it big girl friendly but shoes they keep it at an LL at most.

7. Silvia says:

I’m definitely an R&E fan, I feel like their quality is totally worth the price! Yet lately I’ve been on a very low budget so I’ve been doing mostly very very cheap shopping so no R&E goodness for me :(
    I don’t see MIHATO in the list! I know it’s only a reseller but there’s a shop on the B1 floor of 109 and one right outside one of its side exits and it’s really cheap, I buy lots of shoes from them! Quality is decent I would say, I bought my fave clubbing heels there and I’ve been wearing them for over 9 months now and they’re the most comfortable (and highest I think!) pair of heels I own (like, I gangnam in them every week with no problem at all ahah) and I know ageha models chie and chika sometimes buy shoes from them too.

I’m really looking forward to see the new spring collections from all the shoe stores, I want to invest in some clear accent shoes but as said, low budget means I can’t go for the brand ones :P

• Mitsu says:

Mihato is a good store, but I don’t know how many stores they have outside of 109. I tried to make this as nonTokyo centric as I could although I know a lot of people start in Tokyo and I get so wrapped up in what I know best ): Hard balance!

R&E is great, I especially love what they’re doing this season. They always seem to do trends very clean you know? So it’s a trend but it’s still wearable a few seasons later.

8. Emmy says:

On my last trip to Tokyo I spent a little more time wandering round Asakusa, and apparently the area is known for cheap shoe stores/outlets. The shoes may not present the newest peaking trends (most of the stuff is last season) and may not all be suited for gyaru, but are well worth checking out, since the prices are very reasonable (I bought one pair of shoes and ankle boots for 4000 yen total). http://universal-doll.com/wp-content/plugins/smilies-themer/mitsucons/emoji-shoe.gif
    Sadly the only shop name I remember is Universe (http://www.universe-shoes.co.jp/), but there are a lot of other stores near, so once you find Universe, you just need to spend some time walking around.
    However, I would recommend taking along some cash, since at least in Universe their limit for credit card buys was around 5000 yen.

9. Her Ugliness says:

I like to purchase shoes at No Fall. Last time I was there they had a 2 pairs for 1000 Yen deal! O.o And I got really amazing shoes there.
    They also carry quite a lot of LL size shoes (Not that I needed them, I wear Japanese size S or M), which might be a good tip for foreigners, because I know many people who have trouble finding fitting shoes in Japan.

Other than that I usually buy my shoes at random clothings tores, as they also always carry a few pairs of shoes.

10. CookieCat says:

Hey thank you very much for this post *^* I´ll definitely will check out a few stores ^-^ Kobe Randa has such an amazing section ^.^

I really hope that you´ll make more posts about where to get cheap Gyaru clothes and Accessories in Tokyo, because most people who go there don´t have a high budget or at least one can buy more when it´s cheap ^.^!

I also have a question ^.^ Do you know where to get cheap/ good shoes for guys? ^w^

• Mitsu says:

Tornado Mart is usually the go-to discount gyaruo and used stores in Koenji are the best for just your all around stylish guy.

I don’t talk about budget stores mainly because they’re in malls and easy to find with their prices easily advertised out front for sales and such all season. I focus more on trends so even for those not in Japan can hunt their trend favorites overseas. But I’ll try to do more of budget gyaru although being there if you go to a mall know there will be discount stores in it :)

11. KC says:

i agree with your rankings!!!!

I loooooove Randa… so many of my favorite shoes of the last couple of years have been from that shop. and i find that the quality of their shoes is pretty good compared to most other gyaru shoe-shops… and they tend to have really good sales, where you can get stuff for under 3000yen, which is AWESOME! total Randa fangirl here…

I also like Flag-J but i find it a bit expensive sometimes. and it’s also really hit or miss depending on the season. sometimes i walk in there and it’s like “omg!!! wanna buy everything!!!” and other times it’s like everything’s ugly… or is that just me??

i also never walk into pool side, haha… wonder who buys shoes there??

• Mitsu says:

Yay!! Ranking twins!

Randa for me price vs. style is right on the mark. I love Flag-J for the design. When I first lived in Japan I was only about Flag-J but I think I was stunned by the decor more than anything.

Poolside, waaaaay too pricey for what they are ):

12. Emma says:

just booked my flights back to Japan,this post is getting me super excited about the shopping :happydance:

going to stock up on some super cute shoes when i go back :)

13. Sami says:

Im always thankful for my teeny feet when it comes to shoes from Japan haha :rockoutguy:

• Mitsu says:

Girl you and me both, although as an 8 I feel regular and then I put them next to my man’s and feel like I don’t know how I stand on pegs while he uses flippers XD

14. Thank you for sharing this post. I love shoes and would definitely use this a reference guide when I shop for shoes in Japan! =)

15. CH says:

I’m a US size 9 and I’ve been to Japan, I had never problems in finding shoes. Okay a few shops didn’t have bigger than 24.5cm, but mostly I had no problem.

• Mitsu says:

You’re very right. A girl I know in Tokyo is a size 9 and she complains a lot but never goes shoeless, although it’s often hard finding fit for 9s.

16. Monique says:

As always, such an interesting post! *O* I’m a US 9 size, but I hope if I go to Japan one day I’ll be able to buy one of those lovely pairs from Esperanza! Thanks for this great post!

17. faye says:

awesome post, thank you! I’ve been looking for a guide like this forever!

18. Brookieeee says:

Love Esperanza but way to expensive especially that the yen is very strong compared to USD right now. I love shopping in shinsaibashi if your living in Osaka area… Shinsainashi has cute cheap shoe stores that are all for 1,800¥!! It’s hit or miss though…

19. Aya1gou says:

Great guide!
    Your post is always awesome!
    I have bought from Esperanza ^-^ 4-5 years ago though hahaha

I have big feet too, I often shop online.
    My fave is Hiraki.
    But not so many gyaru style. Rather simple daily designs. But affordable
    I bought long fake suède boots and regular fake mouton boots the other day.

20. Ichigo says:

Oh the pain of knowing that if I ever visit Japan, I won’t be able to find very many shoes.

21. ilusuens says:

Really sucks that japanese shoe sizes only start from 22.5 cm ): my feet are like 20-21 cm? im a size 34. Bought a pair of boots from pansy but i keep sliding when i walk in them…. sigh D;

• Mitsu says:

Oh dear! Thick nubby socks? I had to do that once when I ordered a pair online, I wore two pairs of roomwear mokomoko type socks in them to compensate.

22. princess says:

may i know the size in cm of a size 5 us/canada?

23. jenny says:

may i know which shoe brand is make in japan and popular?

24. […] is actually a matter of purpose. There are different places in Japan that sell shoes but it the brands would depend on what exactly it is a shopper is looking for. For instance, if a […]