Agejo brand MA*RS gyaru shop staff interviews

I found these interviews in Japanese on the RECRUIT part of the MA*RS official site I thought I would translate them and post them here, but I never got into posting them. Now they have upped completely new interviews so if you like reading about working as a shop staff from a workers perspective I may do this again. I think MA*RS ladies are so specific agejo style so I always love to hear them discuss their brand. I got to meet the first interview, Tomomi (pictures here), who was such a doll so I’m very happy to include her thoughts.

mars-tomomi-shibuya109-shopstaff

MA*RS Shibuya 109 Shop Staff 渋谷109店スタッフ
Tomomi Maruyama 丸山知美

Q: What was your experience first going into MA*RS?

A: The first time I went it was the Shinjuku store (possibly the main store in Kabukicho), I saw so much black and pink clothing and lots of sparkle. I decided in order to be able to wear more of the clothes I longed for I strived to work for the brand.

Q: What challenges you at work?

A: Because the job is customer oriented I have a to improve my customer service skills everyday. When customers come in and search for me I am really touched.

Q: What makes the MA*RS brand stand out?

A: The original MA*RS prints blend sexy and cute together in a gorgeous style. It’s the brand that most stands out!

Q: Please tell us the enjoyable part of getting to work at MA*RS?

A: It’s great to see the newest styles and be able to wear MA*RS everyday.

Q: Please tell us what’s the pride of being part of the staff of the shop?

A: Everyone’s nice and has a kind way in order to cooperate and help each other become better staff.

Q: What do you do on your days off?

A: Nails, Shopping, and karaoke with my friends

Q: What are your favorite beauty products?

A: MediQtto, Gelma Roller, and Ion Steamer

Q: Something you aim to do everyday?

A: Try to coordinate my clothes well and make my hair as fluffy and big as possible without looking messy.

Q: Do you have anything to say to those who would like to work at MA*RS in the future?

A: If you love MA*RS and want to wear it, don’t let anyone stop you! If you’d like to please apply! Working at your favorite store will bring you happiness.

Q: A word to MA*RS fans?

A: Whether you’d like to dress sexy or cute or cool or stylish, there’s always something for you at MA*RS.

-Thanks for the interview-

tomomi-2009-marslove

In searching for pictures of Tomomi I can across this old street snap of her from 2009 when she might not have worked for the brand but was still in love with it. So inspiring how she’s changed but still loves her brand.  :loveword:

mars-agejo-shopstaff-mayu-shinsaibashiopa

Shinsaibasi OPA Shop Manager 大阪OPA店 店長
Fukami Mayu 深見真由

Q: What was your experience first going into MA*RS?

A: Four years ago I came to Osaka from the countryside and standing it front of the MA*RS storefront felt like cupid’s arrow pierced me in the heart.

Q: What challenges you at work?

A: The number one thing is when serving customers you must give them your best smile. It’s very important. The more smiles you give, the more it encourages you to do your best.

Q: What makes the MA*RS brand stand out?

A: It’s sexy yet cute, and so feminine. All the qualities of girly dressing at the highest level.

Q: Please tell us the enjoyable part of getting to work at MA*RS?

A: Surrounded by so many beloved pieces of clothing definitely makes you strive to become the best shop staff you can be.

Q: Please tell us what’s the pride of being part of the staff of the shop?

A: The unity with other staff breeds self confidence. When everyone’s working hard together, we’re able to achieve through that unity.

Q: What do you do on your days off?

A: Stay at home and rent movies and head to department stores to look at and enjoy the fancy cosmetics. (Editor asks if she’s buys any eheheh)

Q: What are your favorite beauty products?

A: My make-up favorites are: I’m currenly all about a striking but girlish blush and lip style. I love a lot of brands, but for blush and lip items I have a lot of MAC Cosmetics.

Q: Something you aim to do everyday?

A: As I talked about before it’s always “raising the corners of your mouth”. Sometimes I can’t stop it (laughs) but I want to have a nice and natural smile.

A: If you love MA*RS and it’s something that you’re interested in doing and like chatting with people, please apply! Together we will make even more MA*RS fans!!

Q: A word to MA*RS fans?

A: Together let’s becoming the best MA*RS loving ladies!! Please continue to enjoy the evolution of the brand!

What does MA*RS want in their shop staff?

Full time: Over 18 years old
Part time: Over 18 years old. No high school students. (college students okay)

Will only accept someone who agrees to work weekends and holidays.

Wages: 900-960yen hourly wage

Hours depend on store

Only after working for 6 months as a full-time employee are you able to get paid time off.

Ammentities (does not specify)

There is an employee discount, insurance and travel expenses paid up to 20,000 a month. Yearly raise and benefits for perfect attendance. Twice a year bonus for those eligible.

I got restarted on this post because Raisin commented on my previous post that she was waiting on my upcoming listed posts and this had to do with the Shop Staff so I worked on it. Keep what you to see on the Doll want coming, I’m always happiest doing what readers want.  :shoe:

Filed under:agejo, mars, shop staff

17 Responses to “Agejo brand MA*RS gyaru shop staff interviews”

1. Shmuberry says:

that was a really interesting read :D I would love to read more interviews ^^

2. Lolo says:

MA*RS Is my most fav brand so this really interested this me! It was great to read about their passion for their shop~ Tomomi is super cute! Thanks for translating~

3. Chaudie says:

I love this post! Will you touch base on what the life of a shop staff chan is like? I would love to hear information about the day to day.

4. Sabina says:

Great post! It was really interesting to read the interviews ^^ I’m impressed by how much the shop staff seem to love their work :)

5. Yuri says:

Very interesting post! ^^ It’s really inspiring to see how dedicated they are to their brand!

Could you write something about wages and housing in Japan/Tokyo? Like how much you need to earn to live a somewhat decent life, how much an apartment costs a month and the like? I don’t know if you even know about those things, but I thought asking wouldn’t hurt c:

• Mitsu says:

I was a college student in Tokyo so I don’t know about wages. It’s best to look at those things yourself because I know what people define as a decent is very different and a good apartment is a very weighted statement. What I consider good in the US many people may agree or disagree with me about. Same in Japan.

6. Saphy says:

I’ve always been interested in MA*RS but never got the confidence to buy their clothes because I don’t think I can rock them the way the shop staffs do :depressed: I love Tomomi’s bottom right coordinate the most :lovecat:

7. That was really interesting!
    Working in a shop is hard work, but I think if you love the brand you’ll enjoy and have fun :D I don’t know if there’s a brand I can love so much here in Italy XD But I think I would be happy working for Wonder Rocket!
    MA*RS is not my style but I love the first Fukami Mayu’s coordinate.

8. Raisin says:

Thank you so much for this post!! I feel so honored that you took my request into consideration! :love:
    The interviews were really interesting to read. I was a bit shocked to see how much Tomomi had changed in a few years. She is so pretty! She gives me hope that I can improve too if I put enough effort into it. :stepup:
    Do you know if 900-960yen hourly wage is a typical wage for a beginner shop staff in gyaru brand shops? I have heard that most beginners work e.g. at 109 on minimal wages…
    I really hope that you will post something like this again in the future! :stars:

9. KC says:

wow, their salary is really shitty!!! that’s like baito-money range… i can’t imagine someone living off working there full time… makes me sad :(

very nice of you to post this though! it was a cute, interesting read ;)

10. Rei says:

Great post, it makes me want to live in Japan and work for them.

I was wondering if you could post some of your own coords that you’ve been wearing lately and some favorite accessories and make up products. Also could you do a post on learning Japanese? I am currently taking Japanese 3 at my college and I love it but that’s the highest level they offer :( I would like to continue learning after this semester so any suggestions on how to keep up with it would be greatly appreciated!!

• Mitsu says:

Glad you liked it!

My own outfits and sometimes accessory shots however crappy are on instagram. I try to keep me outta this blog. I want to use this blog to inform and there’s nothing informational about me XD

Makeup products I thought about doing a post on repurchased items so I will do that!

I wish I could help about further Japanese learning but I don’t study on my own (I should!) and tbh I’m kind of bored with the language right now. I’m sure there’s some great Japanese language blogs that could offer much more help than my silly conversational Japanese skills. XD

11. Dolly says:

This is really great, thanks for the translations!!

I feel like it’s such a shame that they’re not paid very well but at least they love what they do. I’m just curious how they can make a living on off those wages especially when some probably have to pay for rent, hair, nails, etc on the side too.

12. Suteisi says:

Welp. Now I want to work as a shop staff in Japan.

Thanks so much for this translation Mitsu!!!! It’s really awesome to read about them. And it’s cool to see Ma*rs has this up on their website. It really sounds like a dream, to work for the brand you love, wearing it every day, helping others shop for this brand, etc. I think I would definitely go for that if I could. I loved shopping in Shinjuku and LUMINE EST when I was in Tokyo last month, if I could work in such a place every day I think I would be in heaven!!

I wish the shopping experience out here would be the same… but sadly it’s not… u____u;; Fail. Lol

13. Kimi says:

Wow! Very interesting<) Either way, I'm good with what she did.

14. Kaelyn Collins says:

THIS MADE ME REALLY HAPPY!!!! I am not a big MA*RS fan but I love reading about the shop staffs lives and how they feel about their jobs. Could you do more post like this one for stores like COCOLULU, D.I.A, etc. Also I would be really interested in how they feel about foreigners working at these kind of stores, whether they would get hired or not, and why or why not.

• Mitsu says:

I found this interview as stated above I just translated it. I did not do one. Sorry I only can do what I have access to!