Milky Pastel Color Mixing Trends & Sweet Style Gyaru Styling Coordination

Wondering what to wear right now? If you’re a sweet gyaru style lover maybe I have the options for you! I’m doing this post because of two asks a) one person wanted a basic gyaru shopping list which I find impossible so I’m doing it in groups b) a tumblr question came in for me to do a winter to spring transitional style tips post which this delves into.

Now before I go off the deepend and drown you with a list of items and tips before any styling list

I have to say three points about personal fashion:

2) Please yourself. Style is mindful masturbation. Fashion is your orgasm. In other words: the only one that has to love it is you.
3) With any style list if you disagree with it, see point 1 and live it.

This set of items could probably last you a good month plus without repeating the same thing. I based this on what I’ve found works as a set of items and matches up well. I also tried to incorporate new Spring trends and winter items you probably have.

Other than the mint color of Spring trends I picked these items mostly at random, so I have already failed at the essential list, but it’s more of a layering and smart dressing list. A few good pieces can go a long way and be stylish for seasons to come.

sweetgyaru-coordinate-trends-stylingoptions

Skirts:

1) Liz Lisa skirt-pants are great, so comfortable and will fit a wide range of hip and butt sizes. If you’re tall they stop you from showing anything. They fluff up Spring dresses worn underneath. They’re cute paired with knits for a casual look. Buy them in a summer fabric you’ll wear them year around, but summer fabrics pass in winter better than winter fabrics in the summer.
2) While the eyelet is a trend, it’s girly and sweet enough to be a smart basic for years to come. In a light color the eyelet doesn’t show up as much. 3 summers from now if you’re still feeling sweet fashion, it’ll fit right in.

Tops:

Cotton pills, chiffon doesn’t it’s a logical choice for seasons to come. A cute cami will get you through see through tops and works great under cardigans and holy sweaters. A full button chiffon blouse is one of my must essentials, especially with a tie. It looks great under sweaters. Unbuttoned and open it’s a suitable light jacket. On the hottest days of summer you can still cover your arms (I hate mine even with weight training) and you won’t feel too hot.

Knits, Cardigans & Jackets:

One light knit, one heavy knit. All are great to throw on, completely change a dress into a skirt. Mauve pink is a continuing trend so I picked two colors of that. Waist length sweaters are the smartest bet for layering. One cardigan. One Jacket. The scallop is very trendy right now, but a Spring colored jacket is a smart transitional item. If you’re loving the super sweet style, go for two cardigans and skip the jacket. More Onee sweet style will enjoy the jacket.

Dresses:

Buy more dresses than you think. They’re the do-it-all in girly dressing. If you’re thinking of buying the dress or skirt version of a print. Always buy the dress. You can make so many more coordinates. Around the natural waist is usually better to coordinate tops with, but this is up to you and your body.

Shoes:

One heel one flat. Walking in heels everywhere isn’t always doable. But they elongate the leg. Bonus an oxford and fun socks are a great sweet pairing essential (my personal go-to).

Necklaces:

One short, one long. Often hard to notice earrings or rings, but necklaces are an instant viewable accessory. If you’re a nail lover go for a lot of bracelets. More than one ring competes. Scarves and hats and barrettes also big accessory pluses.

sweetgyaru-styling-coordinates

Trendwatching: Pastel Color (aka Milky Color) Mix sweetgyaru-trendwatching-milkycolormix

I did some basic coordinate to show how outfits blend together and then did one just on a trend for this season which is a Milky Color Mix. Pastel colors are often known as “Milky Colors” so I try to stick with the lingo you’ll see in gyaru mags and webstores. But it is just blending pastels of the same hue together to create pretty looks. I actually like the Milky Color trend coordinates more than the previous ones. :lovecat:

I just grabbed most of these pieces because they were basic with a twist to Spring. But it was fun to see how to combine random pieces from many stores to create a look. A few things did help me: I purposefully chose mint (a trending color) in 3 pieces. I only have two bold pieces: the gradation sweater and the cut-out printed dress. While the other looks allow me to mix better.

gyaru-spring-himekaji-essentials-style2

I really want that Laguna Moon blouse now.

Admittedly I fudged on some since double sheer layers make it more difficult to layer, but short sleeve or sleeveless are best for this reason and light cardigans can cover the see through layering if you’re picky about it. :bow:

I use the term “sweet gyaru” in this blog because I feel like the overseas community gets bogged down in the billion style names. Mori gyaru is one of my most popular posts, so I’m to blame maybe for some of that, but sadly I haven’t seen it in a magazine since. It’s not a style. I stick by the acronym KISS (keep it simple stupid) for this blog and I use sweet because it’s a term I see used in several different magazines constantly through the years. Himekaji, romagyaru, morigyaru etc… just don’t show up in magazines, which are a big lexicon maker of fashion. Oraora, rock, kurogyaru, hime, onee, amekaji (a dying trend) and sweet are the main words I see throughout magazines over the years. The other names just aren’t as popular or a “thing”. I’m going to have a post on cult party and gyaru mix soon which will make my point less valid LOL

Filed under:Uncategorized

28 Responses to “Milky Pastel Color Mixing Trends & Sweet Style Gyaru Styling Coordination”

1. Nini says:

OMG thank you for this post!!!!! I am reorganizing my closet right now and this is so helpful! :alpaca: THANKS!!!

2. I bow DOWN TO YOUUUU!! Seriously amazing post babe! Good thing I’ve stocked up on some pastels from last year XDD can’t wait to wear some of them!

3. datura says:

Love the outfits :hearts3: By the way, Dazzling scalloped jacket has almost a twin from Snidel 2012 S/S http://fashionwalker.com/fw/snidel/b/pc/Product.html?mthd=04&COLOR=101&PC=SND12S0001&SC=SND# So glad I bought one!
    PS: “Style is a mindful masturbation” – that’s one remarkable quote right here :-D

4. Eve says:

Great post! I love the milky color trend, so sweet!
    I just got into a cosmetology school and UNFORTUNATELY I have to wear all black which is not my thing. I’m gonna try to gal it up as much as I can but with all the milky colors in stores it’s been a little hard!

5. Oooh I want to read the post about the cult party mix *____* Please!

Thank you for the coordinate ideas!!

6. myoubi says:

I love the colours. I’m recently buying alot in that colour. <3

Thank you for posting! Great outfit ideas

7. Anhy says:

” Style is mindful masturbation. Fashion is your orgasm.” Love that quote xD
    I like the outfits you pick here. The whole pastel and lace trend is totally my thing so I am excited for spring to finally wear skirts again ^^

8. Love this post! Its super helpful! :D That colourful knit by Dazzlin has got me drooling… haha!

9. stella lee says:

very helpful post!! now im really inspired to buy some essential items!
    cant wait for spring! ^^ thank you mitsu!

10. L says:

Cool post! The items you picked make an interesting wardrobe :)

11. KC says:

“Style is mindful masturbation.” this just made me laugh so much. and i agree. where what you want! you don’t have to follow magazine exactly!

though i am not a fan of the “sweet” look at all, i reaaaally like that dazzling sweater and a couple of other pieces on there! ^_^

12. Anastasia says:

Very nice post! I have been into Japanese fashion for over two years now, and was wondering what type of gyaru (if any) I would be considered. A lot of online blogs and videos focus on the more extreme gyaru styles, but I tend to wear things found in Jelly or Sweet magazine (which I’m pretty sure are considered gyaru magazines). So I have just gone to calling myself “everyday gyaru”, but was wondering if there was a legitimate terms for more “mainstream” gyaru styles?

13. Imogen says:

Great post. I love everything here so much. Such a beautiful style. My favourite is the pastel jumper.

14. Laura says:

Love this kind of post! Hope to see more of these for different gyaru sub-styles! :up:
    also super agree with that Liz Lisa skirt-pants being the most useful thing ever.

15. angel says:

I’m so glad you featured this style! I don’t know why but alot of gyaru circles seem to forget that gyaru is very diverse and fluid and seem to get stuck in the ageha/hime style only.

16. Dudu says:

That rainbow knitwear is lovelyyyy!! <3 My fave colors for spring!

17. mary says:

im also agree into this sentence : 1) Wear whatever the fuck you want. Whatever. It’s your body, it’s your life, it’s your happiness. Live and dress for your damn self.
    surely.ia lways keep in mind that we should dress to express not impress.if we confidence enough with our self then other may inspired by us.
    btw,thanks for the coord.so into gyaru sweet style this month!^^

18. Bloomzy says:

Dazzlin are really standing out to me, as they have done for the past few seasons.
    I love their items and you’ve picked some gorgeous items.

My favourite part had to be your coordinates though, loved them!

19. Kimi says:

MUST HAVE THOSE MIIA SHOES ;____;
    Do you know if I can get them online anywhere (with a shopping service, of course!)?
    They’re so gorgeous!

Thank you for the post!

20. Illusuens says:

I wonder if anyone can enlighten me if its possible to find adult shoes for feet that are around 21cm aka size 34? because in singapore the japanese brand pansy seems to only carry shoes starting from 22.5 cm ): i really hope its not the case because if i ever go to japan i wont be able to buy their shoes D;

• Mitsu says:

Feel free to search the shoe post I posted (top right type shoes and it should come up on the first page) and the stores but I think you’ll be out of luck at most brand stores. You can look on rakuten.co.jp at online stores which tend to carry more sizing options.

21. Kei says:

Where can I find that Dazzlin’ sweater that’s rainbow? I love it!

22. Kate says:

Out of random curiosity (I know this is an old post, lol!) is “sweet gyaru” referred to as “ama-gyaru”? or is there some other term used for it in magazines? I was just curious… xD

• Mitsu says:

Don’t worry about terms. I usually only use sweet, oraora or 96 but really you won’t see many terms here and I don’t think they apply anymore or will for much longer.