My Top Five Current Fashion Inspirations – Gyaru and Not

I’m a big proponent of doing your own style and look no matter what others think, but we’re all influenced and I thought I’d share my influences and how they make me strive for my own fashion voice. To paraphrase Beyonce: Who run da fashion? Girls!

All gyaru shop staff everywhere

Everywhere. Doing any style around gal or its fringes. No model will do the same for me as shop staff. I just love everyday girls who are so brand dedicated.

lizlisa-shopstaff-gyaru

A collage of Liz Lisa shop staff from across Japan wearing their best Fall and Winter fashions of last year. So much hair envy.

jouetie-ayanosasaki-gyaru2013springtrend

Jouetie shop staff who are convincing me to buy that jacket and replicate the rest of that outfit. Must buy that jacket when I’m in Japan.

I will never stop admiring regular girls who go out and beautify themselves and strive for their brand.

Real girls on the street too when I’m in Japan or Gaijin gyaru online are also so inspiring for me.  Regular girls whose thighs may touch, wear an obvious looking wig, have acne or eyelash is eschew but they’re still holding down their style.  :heartcat:

Take a second. Stand up and handclap all the fabulous girls doing their style and being happy just like you do. Send some positive vibes.  :cheery:

We’ve just created a round of applause (cough*wakaflocka). :up:

Liz Lisa Shinjuku Alta shop staff Risato

Risato (李里) is #1 for me in terms of inspirations. Her hair is just amazing and she has such great make-up. Always looks polished as a shop staff from Shinjuku Alta Liz Lisa and she’s an LL Gal (core staff and models who win a yearly Liz Lisa competition) as well as lately showing up in Ageha recently.

Instead of listing off why I do, I thought I’d show you pictures from her blog: http://blog.crooz.jp/Risato/ of exactly why I love her.

risato-gyaruidol-lizlisa

My reasoning is complete.

I am not a big anime fan but I do love her open nerdiness. It makes her seem a bit more everyday  :bow:

risato-lizlisa

Look at her great Liz Lisa coordinate, too.

Isn’t her hair perfection? 60 extensions on top her regular volume. So much lovely hair.  :dotbow:

Her blog is one of those crappy crooz blogs that’s not desktop or larger quality pic friendly, but Shinjuku Alta Liz Lisa she blogs on and better pics of her: http://blog.crooz.jp/lizlisashinjuku/

Popteen Model – Ai Matsumoto aka Maapipi

I saw Popteen model Matsumoto Ai (まあぴぴ / 松本愛)in her montly diary page of February Popteen and finally saw off-duty model style that I wanted to love.

lizlisapopteen

My thought when seeing this was “FINALLY!” Liz Lisa off time, gyaru hair worn like everyday gyaru wear it, pretty gel nails. So much of what I like and in a gyaru magazine. Instant-love. :loveword:

Sweet style gyaru lovers you know my pain. There is not one main magazine for us. Instead it’s a Popteen, Liz Lisa, Nuts, Vivi, Sweet, JJ mix to make the perfect one for our interests. So when something popped up of a whole page in my strike zone I was in love!

maapipi-coordinates-idol

Her daily coordinates are definitely things I would wear. She works for Miauler Mew and wears a lot of Miauler Mew (http://www.miauler-mew.com/). But she also wears a lot of sweet discount Spinns style and Liz Lisa.

Casual, soft, girly and sweet. Pretty much everything I want to wear.

Check out her blog for more great coordinates: http://ameblo.jp/matsumoto-ai/

Murua Producer Momoko Ogihara

Even if my style has moved away from Murua because I’m on a no-black clothes diet, I still love Ogihara Momoko (荻原桃子). And I still wear a lot of my old Murua. Emoda’s mode often for me is a bit too Acne/Alexander Wang distilled mode, but Momoko’s is girly and playful yet still mode chic. I’ll be a Momoko fan forever. Her make-up is forever awesome as well.

momokoogihara-styleidol momokoogihara-styleidol2

Eyeliner on point. Recognize.

That cardigan is coming out in metallic pink and I can’t wait to buy it when I’m in Japan.

In love with her new blonde short locks too.

Manapyon – Kinji Shop Staff

Kinji shop staff in Harajuku and street snap style queen Manapyon (まなぴょん) has probably appeared on your tumblr roll. I think she’s probably the cutest human on the planet and I wish I had her body. I think everything about her is cute.

manapyon2

Cats on the internet currently battle Manapyon for cutest. #truefact

manapyon1

She’s always so girly and her twist on cult-party kei I really admire. She really inspires me to mix some cult party into my own style.

Lately she hasn’t blogged a lot (http://ameblo.jp/kikilalamanapyon/)but she keeps her twitter active https://twitter.com/kilamanapyon or you can just enjoy her appreciation blog http://kikilalamanapyon.tumblr.com/

honorable mentions: Amo because she is the second cutest human (http://ameblo.jp/aplus–amo/), Laguna Moon producer Nakaba Nao (http://ameblo.jp/kobe-nao/), and Dazzlin Visual Press Takeda Mizuki (http://ameblo.jp/takeda-mizuki/)

Just reading talking about them inspires me. Now I just got to get rid of this cold and dress up more.  :korila:

Filed under:Uncategorized

28 Responses to “My Top Five Current Fashion Inspirations – Gyaru and Not”

1. Ande says:

When I saw Momoko’s blonde hair, it was instant inspo.
    Literally taking that picture to the salon and saying “I want THIS”.

Love this post!

2. elaine says:

Murua’s designer has such great makeup, hair, everything! She’s a true inspiration *~*

Love the blazer in the first picture!

• Mitsu says:

When I met her I spent most of the time staying at her perfect make-up. Nothing out of place. Everything strong yet lovely. So much skill!

3. I like how you said that, although girls may not have the best face/body, because they hold to their style that we should give them props. Also, these girls are very inspirational! Thanks for the post :)

• Mitsu says:

It’s more like I don’t feel being gyaru is about being perfect or being pretty. I think it’s all about fashion and make-up and style. Sure they help our appearance, but I think magazines have skewed how people think actual other people look XD

4. faye says:

risato’s hair is PERFECTION. i love it.

5. mishi says:

I love Jouetie shop staff! They’re very patient..

LOL @ the waka flocka reference

• Mitsu says:

hehehe glad someone enjoyed XD

Jouetie shop staff are great, but I have yet to buy anything from Jouetie. I really need to this season, love their 90s influences.

6. Lauren says:

I am currently on a no black clothes diet as well. It’s not going well. Justified black trousers coz they had flowers on. Have to say though I am LOVING the cream and brown palettes and that dusty pink of rienda=:loveword:
    Now if only I could find those in the UK… EVERYTHING IS NEON!

• Mitsu says:

Yay fellow no blackdiet girl XD

Rienda I love so much, but I do wonder if I love them because their model unit is so gorgeous or their clothes. They make clothes perfect for pear-shaped bodies but as an apple it doesn’t often work on me.

7. hortaru says:

Love all the inspiration you’ve placed here, it’s so nice to see all the different people with their different styles and how amazing they all look. I’m gonna slowly look through all the links you’ve listed down for inspiration

8. BouncyBrown says:

Gah! They are all so cute! They really inspire me to be less lazy about my style! :D

9. あぃ♡ says:

ahh~ i am also a big fan of maapipi lately♥
    i absolutely adore her!

• Mitsu says:

She’s awesome! I’m a bit bored of the rest of Popteen (but hey I’m no teen so it’s out of my strikezone kind of XD) but she really makes me happy :)

10. mary says:

i also adore Ai’s style! and, Risato i think she should be model instead her style coordinates work very well and such inspiring! <3

• Mitsu says:

Risato is so pretty! I hope I can get her picture in a month because I find her very lovely. Her coordinates are so wonderful!

11. Kayla says:

Is roma-gyaru the same as sweet gyaru? I think sweet gyaru descibes what kind I like.
    Pastels, neutrals, cute but casual is me. It’s sweet, right? I’m just confuzzled b/c I’ve never heard of sweet before this post.

• Mitsu says:

I think roma and himekaji and all those names are absolutely worthless. Over naming styles is very very very dated and traps people into being outdated overseas.

Magazines which speak to the while audience only use a few terms:

Oraora
      Kuronba
      Onee
      Mode
      Sweet
      Rock
      Hime

Occasionally they say Hime style in Popteen or Egg but usually they don’t Jesus Diamante kind of look, they mean cute and princessy such as Liz Lisa.

This is a big pet peeve of mine in the overseas community, there’s an acceptance those outdated terms as law and don’t look at what the magazines and the brands have to say for themselves. Look at the magazines and see what they’re saying, they dictate fashion as much as brands, they should be the language controllers.

12. Robin CF says:

OGIHARA LOVE FOREVER!

Also, the no-black diet has been a part of my life for a hot minute. I really want more color in my wardrobe, but I feel so derpy wearing colors. Plus, they introduce all sorts of coordinating conundrums that I’m not used to having to/too lazy to deal with.

13. Anni says:

I’m so glad you mentioned the normal girls on Japanese streets since it really isn’t all that you see on magazines and people need to realize it. Whenever I visit Japan I just love it how there are actually so many not a size 0 girls with acne and obvious looking wigs and they are still absolutely beautiful and inspiring.

Also Jouetie love high five~~ I’m gonna buy Jouetie EVERYTHING this spring hahah

And Manapyon definitely is the cutest ; ;

14. A says:

Loving Momoko’s new hair. I just cut mine short- it feels great, and so versatile! There have always been lots of regular Japanese girls with short hair, but it seems like a lot of gyaru tend to think it’s not cute/sexy. Glad to see the bobs popularity has shown them that’s not necessarily true (and as a result at least one model in a magazine has short hair, the rest are long).

Mitsu or other people knowledgable about hair- I can assume Momoko either blow dries or curls the ends in, but how does she keep these strands out and keep it fluffy like these pics (from her tumblr):

It’s easy to lightly touch pieces to create the effect, but what product (hairspray, gel, wax?) would keep it fluffy and the pieces separate (not flattening into the hair as a whole)?

• Mitsu says:

I would think blowout and volumizing mousse. Although my hair was never that one length that she has when I had it short so I can’t speak from experience.

15. I love the brown clutch purse that girl is wearing the the very first picture, so cute! And oh my, the girl with the rose braids hair is amazingly beautiful! And what, 60 hair extensions? How do one remove them all after? lol

• Mitsu says:

It’s pretty time consuming but easy to remove extensions. Salons will do it for free to 1000 yen / $12 usd in Japan. 60 is a pretty common amount. I’ve had anywhere between 40 and 80. I think her natural hair is pretty long which helps the volume.