Kyoto Arashiyama Iwatayama Monkey Park full of adorable Japanese Macaques

One of my favorite experiences last trip was going to Arashiyama in Kyoto to the Iwatayama Monkey Park (嵐山モンキーパーク). I’m leaving for Japan again in less than a month yet I’ve been absolute horrible at posting travel photos from my last trip and when I take pictures I get excited to share them on my blog. Yet I have been so slow at posting stuff. My name is Mitsu and I’m a horrible travel blogger.

The Arashiyama area in Kyoto instantly became one of my most favorite places in Japan. It’s gorgeous, surrounded by nature but still has tons to do. If I had to recommend a place to go in Kyoto beyond the shrines and Gion it’d definitely be Arashiyama. I also joke to my man that he looks like a Japanese Macaque (relationships they’re cruel), so when I finally got to see them in person it was like I was surrounded by little versions of my man. Weird I know but heaven for me hehehee!

kyoto-arashiyama-nonomiya-shrine-shintoshrine

The Monkey park is a good mile away from the train station and a solid 30 minute hike up a mountain. A good workout and totally worth it. It starts at the base with a Shinto shrine and it’s a very quiet wonderful area.

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-sign

While you’re hiking there’s signs that warn you there may be monkeys around so don’t have food or they’ll be agressive about it. I didn’t see any monkeys, I think they’ve gotten smart enough to know at the top they’ll be fed so why go anywhere else. :lolpastel:

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-enclosure

Once you get to the top of the mountain there’s an enclosure which people go in and is how you feed the monkeys. It’s really cool because you’re trapped in not them, it’s not a zoo.

kyoto-arashiyama-monkey-park-banana-eating

This is going to sound really weird but Macaques are really good at peeling and eating fruits. Like really good. They can speed peel! And look at this greedy one, already ready for another one while he’s eating.

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-monkeys

They all line up ready to eat. It’s a fun and cheap experience. Only 100 yen to buy pre-cut fruit for them.

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-overlook

I told you it was a hike. The view of Kyoto from the Arashiyama monkey park. I climbed higher than Kyoto Tower.  :stars:

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-three-macaques

Capturing animal photographs #likeaboss

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-baby-macaque-playing

I also got a treat of being close while a baby played near their mama. So cuuuuute!!  :alpaca:

Only 550 yen to visit Iwatayama Monkey Park and 100 yen for fruit. One of the cheapest yet best experiences I’ve had.

I’m so ashamed this is the first blog of the week. Line Play sucked me in and I have crappy health things to deal with :heartbreak: . If you’re on Line Play add me as “Mewmitsu”  and my man (aka the human Macaque) is on there too as “Tex” XD

Filed under:photo friday, traveling

8 Responses to “Kyoto Arashiyama Iwatayama Monkey Park full of adorable Japanese Macaques”

1. Momo says:

Awww, the monkeys are so cute!!

2. Angel says:

the monkeys look so cuddly and furry! <3 cute!

3. Angel says:

why is Japan so awesome! even their monkeys are cuter! hahaha

4. Rinnie says:

Hehe, when we went there one of the monkeys was absolutely stuffing his cheeks with nuts..! Those macaques have some serious eating skills. XD The view is absolutely amazing and that alone is worth paying the entry fees, let alone getting to see all the adorable monkeys!

5. Mei says:

What a lovely journey c: The
    monkeys are so fun to watch!

xx

6. Laura says:

Those monkeys are so cute! I want to go to Japan soon, maybe next year and I wanted to stay in Kyoto for a few days – I think this’ll definitely be on my visit list! <3

Your blog is so lovely, I always enjoy reading your posts so I've nominated/tagged you for the Liebster Blogging Award! I hope you'll participate! http://geishababy.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-liebster-blogging-award.html

7. Tina says:

Hi there!

Thanks for the post! I’ve been dying to go there since the last 2 years because there was an anime showing how cool this place was. But I do have concerns regarding this trip. I will be traveling solo & I understand that we have to hike. Of course, it is full of forest. Is it dangerous to go there alone? I might go there on weekdays :)

wish you can advise. Thank you in advance!.

• Mitsu says:

There’s a lot of monkey places, I don’t know if that’s the same, but it’s very safe to do. Kids of all ages enjoy it. It’s a bit of a hike, but worth it!