Kyoto Arashiyama Iwatayama Monkey Park full of adorable Japanese Macaques

One of my favorite experiences last trip was going to Arashiyama in Kyoto to the Iwatayama Monkey Park (嵐山モンキーパーク). I’m leaving for Japan again in less than a month yet I’ve been absolute horrible at posting travel photos from my last trip and when I take pictures I get excited to share them on my blog. Yet I have been so slow at posting stuff. My name is Mitsu and I’m a horrible travel blogger.

The Arashiyama area in Kyoto instantly became one of my most favorite places in Japan. It’s gorgeous, surrounded by nature but still has tons to do. If I had to recommend a place to go in Kyoto beyond the shrines and Gion it’d definitely be Arashiyama. I also joke to my man that he looks like a Japanese Macaque (relationships they’re cruel), so when I finally got to see them in person it was like I was surrounded by little versions of my man. Weird I know but heaven for me hehehee!

kyoto-arashiyama-nonomiya-shrine-shintoshrine

The Monkey park is a good mile away from the train station and a solid 30 minute hike up a mountain. A good workout and totally worth it. It starts at the base with a Shinto shrine and it’s a very quiet wonderful area.

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-sign

While you’re hiking there’s signs that warn you there may be monkeys around so don’t have food or they’ll be agressive about it. I didn’t see any monkeys, I think they’ve gotten smart enough to know at the top they’ll be fed so why go anywhere else. :lolpastel:

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-enclosure

Once you get to the top of the mountain there’s an enclosure which people go in and is how you feed the monkeys. It’s really cool because you’re trapped in not them, it’s not a zoo.

kyoto-arashiyama-monkey-park-banana-eating

This is going to sound really weird but Macaques are really good at peeling and eating fruits. Like really good. They can speed peel! And look at this greedy one, already ready for another one while he’s eating.

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-monkeys

They all line up ready to eat. It’s a fun and cheap experience. Only 100 yen to buy pre-cut fruit for them.

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-overlook

I told you it was a hike. The view of Kyoto from the Arashiyama monkey park. I climbed higher than Kyoto Tower.  :stars:

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-three-macaques

Capturing animal photographs #likeaboss

kyoto-arashiyama-monkeypark-baby-macaque-playing

I also got a treat of being close while a baby played near their mama. So cuuuuute!!  :alpaca:

Only 550 yen to visit Iwatayama Monkey Park and 100 yen for fruit. One of the cheapest yet best experiences I’ve had.

I’m so ashamed this is the first blog of the week. Line Play sucked me in and I have crappy health things to deal with :heartbreak: . If you’re on Line Play add me as “Mewmitsu”  and my man (aka the human Macaque) is on there too as “Tex” XD

Filed under:photo friday, traveling

12 Responses to “Kyoto Arashiyama Iwatayama Monkey Park full of adorable Japanese Macaques”

1. Momo says:

Awww, the monkeys are so cute!!

2. Angel says:

the monkeys look so cuddly and furry! <3 cute!

3. Angel says:

why is Japan so awesome! even their monkeys are cuter! hahaha

4. Rinnie says:

Hehe, when we went there one of the monkeys was absolutely stuffing his cheeks with nuts..! Those macaques have some serious eating skills. XD The view is absolutely amazing and that alone is worth paying the entry fees, let alone getting to see all the adorable monkeys!

5. Mei says:

What a lovely journey c: The
    monkeys are so fun to watch!

xx

6. Laura says:

Those monkeys are so cute! I want to go to Japan soon, maybe next year and I wanted to stay in Kyoto for a few days – I think this’ll definitely be on my visit list! <3

Your blog is so lovely, I always enjoy reading your posts so I've nominated/tagged you for the Liebster Blogging Award! I hope you'll participate! http://geishababy.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-liebster-blogging-award.html

7. Tina says:

Hi there!

Thanks for the post! I’ve been dying to go there since the last 2 years because there was an anime showing how cool this place was. But I do have concerns regarding this trip. I will be traveling solo & I understand that we have to hike. Of course, it is full of forest. Is it dangerous to go there alone? I might go there on weekdays :)

wish you can advise. Thank you in advance!.

• Mitsu says:

There’s a lot of monkey places, I don’t know if that’s the same, but it’s very safe to do. Kids of all ages enjoy it. It’s a bit of a hike, but worth it!

8. Troy says:

Hello I am so delighted I found your webpage, I really found you by accident, while I was
    searching on Digg for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to
    say thanks a lot for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to look over it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it
    and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up
    the fantastic work.

9. SEO verwijst naar het gebruik van technieken om
    uw website verschijnen hoger in de ranglijsten van zoekmachines, dus
    als u op uw product zoeken, ze hebben een grotere kans om u te vinden.
    Het enige wat over Google waar ik van hou is dat zij reeds heeft ons
    met alle hulpmiddelen en blauwdruk van hoe SEO op onze websites.
    Nu we hebben gezien hoe enkele belangrijke punten zal zeer nuttig zijn om
    te zoeken naar SEO experts.

10. However, it is important to see a doctor before attempting self-treatment,
    because certain more serious conditions can also have
    similar symptoms. It’s a chronic condition that’s characterized mainly by facial erythema,
    or redness, and often appears with small pimples on the face.
    The area should be cleaned thoroughly with a gentle cleanser and allowed to air
    dry. In later life there may also be dental problems and in some cases neurological disorders too,
    such as muscle spasms, reduced vision and seizures.
    forward, you may find Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) useful.
    Having the best types and also amount of food will improve your body with the vitamins and minerals it requires to function well.
    To help you deal with the decreasing skin moisture, make use of moisturising creams.
    While beauty is, as they say, skin-deep, physical appearance is
    the first thing that impacts on a person upon the first meeting.

Still the idea remains the same ‘ the proper consumption of the whole grain products prolongs the youth of the skin and influences human body in general.
    Please CLICK HERE NOW to read about and quickly get the solution. unresolved emotions might be erupting in your
    skin. , a pediatrician from Santa Barbara, CA, the best way to treat
    this condition is to thoroughly clean the affected area and coat it with a good quality
    zinc oxide cream several times per day. For myself that’s helpful for the dark skin under the eyes.
    It usually makes its first appearance between birth and the first six months as a blistering rash and is caused by excessive deposits of the normal skin pigment melanin. When an overall human body is healthy,
    it simply heals skin problems from the inside and radiates a wonderful skin on the
    outside. Also it influences the condition of the skin, especially when we talk about
    oysters and ‘fatty’ sorts of fish like salmon. Weakening of these is
    a cause of cellulite and dimple appearances. If you have
    a skin condition that you are unsure about or
    the products you are using are not clearing up or improving the problem, you should
    seek advice from a dermatologist or skin care professional.

You’d be dealing with pain, large pustules, a burning, itching
    rash, a sudden onset of redness and puss, and a large portion of your skin covered up by the condition in no time at all.
    s own tissue, skin grafts using blisters, micropigmentation or
    tattooing, and autologous melanocyte transplants.

11. It’s wonderful that you are getting ideas from this post as well as from our argument made at this place.