Open Post: What would you tell beginner gyaru you?

vague-gyaru-shop-shizuoka-japan

So this is a “vague” question. (Pun absolutely intended, I have no shame.) Vague was in Shizuoka 109.

If you could go back in time, what would you tell the beginner gyaru you?

I think in gyaru and in life we learn in balance, partially through trial and error and partially through someone actually instructing us.

So what have you learned through trial and error or someone telling you that you’d go back and say… “Listen girl, we need to talk…” (ala those good Blake Griffin Kia commercials if you’re in the US).

From things to make-up, hair, coordination, to the dealing with the ugly aspects of overseas gyaru (better off ignored I say).

shizuoka-109-purikura-meherjyoshi-gyaru

Super cute purikura set-up also at Shizuoka 109

Who knows maybe your tips can be like your Gyaru University course to a beginner gal and we can work on helping each other (which all women should be doing).

I’d tell myself:

:bow: Use more make-up than you think you need. A ton more. Your heavy is in no way near gyaru style.

:bow: Slow change is the best change. Instead of killing your hair with 12 dye jobs a year.

:bow: Don’t pick 50 styles at once for your closet.

:bow: A good blank canvas is better than a well done outside. Well cared for skin, healthy hair, loving yourself mean more than the outer gyaru case.

:bow: A good eyelash glue is better than great lashes and a crap glue.

:bow: If you want to sleep in before class, buy a wig.

So let’s travel back in time and as usual with open post, let the glory happen in the comments

BTW I already said thank you, but I have to say it again, you fabulous ladies fucking rocked last open post. I’m so curious what you’ll do with this topic.  :alpaca:

21 Responses to “Open Post: What would you tell beginner gyaru you?”

1. Wow yes this post was def needed! You’ve hit all the great points Mitsu!

Definitely for myself I’d say ‘brands don’t mean anything if you don’t have style’ since all I was worried about was gyaru brands and really didn’t focus on my style instead! Another thing that I’d say is ‘you don’t need to follow all the trends in gyaru, just stick to what you feel is good for you’ since I really was focused on trends when I first started and would just keep changing my style all over the place and ugh it was a mess…!

2. Isis says:

Well what I’d tell myself. Expect frustrations. Practice practice practice. Pick styles you would be comfortable wearing. Dress to flatter your shape, especially plus sized gals who think they can’t do gyaru because of their weight or body shape. Figure out what it is, what will be flattering and work with it. Don’t be a clone or a brand whore. Gyaru is about having fun, while there are fundamentals to every style It doesn’t have to be followed to the T and it pays to be unique. Learn what compliments your eye shape, skin tone and facial features. This is why it’s important to practice. Contouring and the way you do your eye makeup will not look the same on everyone. Some hair/wig color choices will not work for you no matter how much you like the color. That goes for circle lenses and makeup such as lipsticks, blush and even clothing color.

3. Hayley says:

Oooh, great post. I wish I had done more research on how to put together a good coordinate BEFORE I spent a bunch of money on lots of individual items I loved but looked awful together.

4. Angel says:

Ignore the haters, there are plenty of narrow minded gaijin gyaru know-it-alls out there who would immediately judge you and say you “are not gyaru enough” because you don’t fit into their antiquated and rigid notions of what it means to be Gyaru. Ignore them and keep doing what you love best.

Practice makes perfect, just because you can’t get those damn eyelashes to sit right the first few times does not mean you should give up on it.

Find support from like minded individuals who are into the same thing as you but you also have to watch your back. Not everyone has the same intentions as you

5. Ami says:

I myself am a beginner Gyaru, and I have already learnt the hard way about my make-up not being heavy enough. Thank you for all the tips guys :) It’s very helpful.

6. Aimiya says:

First, I would tell myself that it’s okay to take my time and start off slow. It’s only now that I have a few wearable coordinates, after three years of wanting in on this fashion. When I was starting, I was impatient and just bought things because they were inexpensive and they were typical Hime wear and I really wanted to get started right away. Then I never wore them, lol. I didn’t even have anything to wear them with. I guess that’s another thing I’d tell my past self. Work on buying multiple things that can go with each other, because I learned if I can only wear something with one other thing, I’m not going to wear it at all, and that’s a waste of money and closet space. Finally, I would tell my past self to do more research and not to just look at only Hime coordinates. It was only when I expanded and started looking at other styles that I was able to begin customizing my own style, and I realized why I was actually into the Hime style to begin with and that there were a lot of other styles that I either really liked or could draw a lot of inspiration from. Now I’m working on my own style genre XD

I still feel like I have a long way to go before I can truly call myself Gyaru, but it’s the first time in a long time that I feel like I’ve covered any distance in it.

7. kuraku says:

okay I would say that style evolves. originally I was decora back in 7th grade and Stu even though im still a teen my style has morphed exponentially. Now i try to stick with gyaru kei. One week i’ll be roma gyaru but the next week i may be rokku agejo or Celeb. I really like being a new person every day. Its really expensive ordering gyaru clothes from japan and equally difficult to find similar clothes here in the US. The only remedy is to get creative with the clothes you do have. Thats the whole point of street fashion. Doing something you like that nobody else will do. Being a style revolutionary is what makes a gyaru.

8. Chrissie says:

I would totally tell myself to just GO FOR IT and try any Gal style that caught my eye! I’ve admired Gal ever since I found out about it, but I was really afraid that 1) I just couldn’t pull it off, and 2) others would think I looked stupid. I’ve since learned that Gal can be made to suit anyone, and to not let what others think stop me from dressing however I feel like dressing.

Also, I would have told myself to get over the “wig stigma” I grew up with; I was constantly impressed with the opinion that only older ladies with thinning hair wore wigs. If I had realized how much a good wig can help a Gal look, I’d have been much more motivated to try the style earnestly much sooner (even though I’m still going very slowly, lol)!

Oh, and I definitely second the “more makeup than you think is a lot” when it comes to Gal, so true!

9. Laura says:

I still consider myself a beginner so I’m reading all these and taking them onboard, ha ha! <3 I need more clothes in styles that I like, not just buying random bits and bobs in all different styles because it's "kind of Gyaru-ish". I want to have a dark Hime style but there aren't that many brands that cater to it so I'm going to try my hand at making my own clothes! Gyaru silhouettes are a lot simpler than Lolita ones. I also want a pair of DreamV heart heel shoes! \*0*/

• kuraku says:

DreamV has a store on this website called Global Rakuten and they sell the heart heels for a really inexpensive price. I think they ship worldwide too. I was going to buy the studded combat booties from there but they sold out of the color i wanted.

• Jali says:

About Dreamv on Rakuten: You’ll need to use Tenso.

Buy as normal from Rakuten, but specify the shipping address witht he one Tenso gives you after you sign up.

When the item arrives at Tenso, they’ll let you know, and you pay shipping to have them send it to you.

10. BeXie says:

When I started this style, I had to run to keep up with everyone and I ended up learning a lot in a relatively short space of time compared to how a newbie might learn today. To myself, I’d probably say: “Sit down and keep your mouth shut. Get with the basics first. Don’t even think about a sub-style yet. I don’t care if you like hime or oraora – if you don’t get with basics first, it’ll be a mess. Learn to mix clothing. Learn to contour and do your makeup properly. It doesn’t matter how much money you have, how many branded clothes you own or how much makeup you have, because if you don’t know how to use that shit, then it doesn’t really matter if you have it or not. Stay away from g_s – don’t read it, don’t look at it. Read magazines. Take all the advice you can get. Respect those who have been in the fashion longer than you. Everyday_gyaru is your friend: Use it. Don’t be afraid of it. Don’t be afraid to post on it – don’t think so highly of yourself to be afraid that others might bash you when you start out – most people won’t notice you. They won’t come to you – so don’t expect them to dish out advice without asking for it first. The greatest gyaru will never bash you. Don’t give anyone else advice – you’re not in the position to do that, not for a couple years at least. Put the work into the style and you’ll succeed. Don’t be lazy. Don’t make excuses. Don’t expect people around you to understand what you’re doing. This is harder than it looks. Anyone can be gyaru, but not everyone has the courage to walk out the front door.”

11. Suteisi says:

I’m late to the party. Was out of town. HERE GOES!

Dear self,

=> BE PATIENT. Take the time to practice, practice, practice.

I remember how I’d get SO frustrated for not being able to apply lashes on properly, I’d give up within 10 minutes of trying. And like you said Mitsu: GOOD GLUE !! The glue that is sold out here is CRAP. I was only ever able to apply lashes within 10 minutes of trying with the glue that I bought when I was in Japan. Never going back. Ever.

=> Invest in good make-up and brushes.

I know a lot of girls like MAC but since I discovered ETUDE HOUSE in LUMINE EST Shinjuku, I didn’t even think twice about throwing out my MAC stuff. For ME, for MY skin, ETUDE HOUSE is 10 times better than MAC. AND EH is cheaper as well, even when ordering online. I’m sorry. MAC is really over-rated now I think. So expensive and not even all that great. Not for me, anyway. This is my personal opinion though.

=> Use BOTH pencil/pen eyeliner and liquid eyeliner.

I always had a hard time doing that straight line on top and under nearth my eyes. The pencil/pen eyeliner is thick and fades through out the day. The liquid eyeliner is really easy to mess up without a steady hand. One of my good friends in Japan thought me to use BOTH. Start with pencil/pen and then go cover with the liquid eyeliner to finish it off, with that nice cat eye type look.

=> Do what YOU like/prefer.

I was trying to follow other’s styles and ended up mixing a bunch of things that didn’t match. Instead of doing that, I’ve learned to pick out the pieces I like and I know will look good with my body type, and to work that into my closet and the rest of my clothes. You can get inspiration from others, but I found, trying to constantly copy and mimic others isn’t always the best way to go.

And what BeXie mentioned: Don’t expect people around you to understand what you’re doing. Or even to try and understand what style you’re going for. You’re doing this for YOURSELF, before YOU like it. It’s about YOU, not them, not anyone else. Be confident, do your thing and I cannot say it more, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

12. Momo says:

Even tho I still consider myself to be in the beginning stage, I still have some advice for my past self:

-Don’t “try to be” gal, just “be” gal. Gal is not about the looks, it’s all about having fun with friends and be young while you can. Break rules, stand up for yourself and do what you like to do. Have fun with your looks! Get clothes you honestly like, and not just ‘because they are gal style’.

-You don’t need a lot of make-up to succeed! Just get what you think you will need! Don’t buy too much make-up that you won’t use anyway. Look for the good basic items and make sure you always have them with you.

-Take care of your lashes and apply false lashes carefully! Don’t get too much glue on your natural lashes!

-Don’t worry about your style’s growth too much. The more you do, see, read and experience, the more your style will grow naturally. Your skills also. The more you do it, the better you’ll get.

-Don’t stress yourself or take strict rules for your style, unless you honestly think you need rules and every piece of your soul agrees with it. Style is about having fun and doing as much as you want to do for it. You don’t do it for anybody but yourself.

Good luck everyone, and thanks for your advices also!

13. Jali says:

I would tell myself….

1) Invest in good lashes AFTER you know how to actually put falsies on and deal with them being on for hours at a time. Also, learn to care properly for your lashes; take the old glue off, keep them clean, store them carefully.

2) BUDGET. Budget for your hair, your nails, your clothes, any accidents or emergencies that will happen along the course of a month, and so on. Expect to go for a hair treatment every 8-10 weeks, and expect to do your nails once a month.

3) It may seem wasteful and silly at first, but practice doing your makeup at home even if you’re not going anywhere. That way, you’ll have the skills and speed to do it right when you actually need to.

4) Nail length is very dependent on your lifestyle. I can’t stress this enough. While 3″ stiletto claws look really “gyaru” to some, if you’re a programmer or writer who types 90% of the day, they’re going to drive you insane.

5) Primers. I wish I had known about face primer and lip concealer 3 years ago.

6) Don’t be a dumbass. Ok this sounds generic, but no matter what you look like, people are way more likely to remember how you act over how you look. Be polite, be courteous, don’t do dangerous things that can hurt you or others, and don’t wear 6″ platform stilettos if you know you can’t walk in them!! You’ll look far sexier walking smooth and confident in 3″ heels than wobbling like a drunk duck in 6″ heels.

7) Y SO SRS? DON’T BE SO SERIOUS. Seriously. It’s JUST fashion. Fuck what g_s says, fuck what anybody says. There’s no hard and fast Rules of Gyaru. Do what works for you… BUT. Be open to encouragement. No one likes a stuck-up halfwit, anymore than they like a stuck-up know-it-all.

In the same vein, there’s also no hard and fast lifestyle choice for being gyaru. You DON’T have to be sexually active, you DON’T have to do purikura, you DON’T have to act like a bimbo (please, we need more intelligent, strong women up in here!), and you DON’T have to follow the crowd just because “they’re all doing it.”

14. [...] Trusted Toiletries May Be Killing YouTHE SANITIZER10 Tasty Carbs That Wont Make You FatOpen Post: What would you tell beginner gyaru youOpen Post: What would you tell beginner gyaru youYour Trusted Toiletries May [...]

15. Robin CF says:

I think I’d tell mini-14yearold-gyaru-me to scrapbook.

I can’t express to everyone how fun the communities used to be!!! Sure, we’d critique each other, but there’s a HUGE difference between helping someone out and being a big old floppy ding-a-ling. My first post in Ganguro was ripped to shreeedddssss by everyone, but there used to be this idea that nothing was coming from a dark place and we all just wanted more people to embrace the style. When I first met an online gyaru friend in person they said “Girl, I remember you in that purple wig!!!” and we laughed because when i started I didn’t know wtf was going on and just wanted to be like the gals I saw in FRUITS and EGG. People helped me get better and they weren’t even a little bit malicious.

Everyone Collectively Wanted More Gyaru to Exist. Nobody cared if they were the best gyaru or if someone did the style better than them. In fact, we openly celebrated people like Tany (a Black girl from the US worked in a store in Shibuya!) and Frankenstain (a US girl that was super kickass at make-up!)

Western gyaru culture is the one thing I would have loved to warn myself about. “You’ll always love the style, but please embrace how much -fun- it is to be online and gyaru at the same time. Print out your favorite posts. Save those happy-go-lucky comments. Revel in how great it feels to see girls that are posting without thinking “What if this ends up being turned into a hateful, anonymous meme?” Enjoy watching people transition from not-so-good to INCREDIBLY AMAZING OMG over a few months because they’re unafraid to share their progress. Enjoy peace and confidence. It’s going away in about seven years.”

16. Garland says:

Helpful info. Fortunate me I found your website by chance, and I am surprised why this coincidence did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it.

17. Minerva says:

Everything concerns current title outside of SNK Playmore, immediately after a few very outstanding PC’s ports significant Metal Slug collection, decided to present people the latest quality title in the form of Metal Slug Defense, in which instead of operating the boards and resourceful strategies to actually end a multitude of adversaries, we will demand our military.

The scheme of Defense Metal Slug Game doesn’t fits story which unfortunately flashed prior to our little brown eyes. With a couple small content, exactly what the online game offers people at the beginning, many of us learn that the principle rogue line, rapidly acute wipe out they conduced in the earlier pieces, managed to get up coming from his very own knees and commenced to accumulate around him or her again cool dude army, which will obviously hit in mud.

Defense Metal Slug Game is undoubtedly a game title this can be exceedingly uncontrollable and accomplishing the traditional just for this sort of online gaming alternatives. It is real that suffering occasionally hypersensitive control ailments, however they are never extreme sufficient to be able to change the over-all reception connected with the particular brand. Metal Slug Defense can certainly for that reason suggest to these which never could not pay attention pertaining to Metal Slug together with those people that devote the whole day before with slot machine games with the mythical shooting.