Shop Staff 38 – Stay Real & Candy Stripper

Some non-gyaru shop staff to show this time from Stay Real and Candy Stripper. I get excited I think more to show non-gyaru shop staff because I enjoy all types of shop staff doing their own cool style.

Theflyingace asked

“Have you ever been treated poorly by a shop staff for being a gaijin despite having pretty awesome Japanese language/communication abilities?” Most of your posts show you getting along with shop staff but I had always wondered if some weren’t as friendly, even due to just their personalities?”

BTW best places to ask me questions are the blog/twitter/tumblr. Either 3 are great to contact me. Mail I’m crap at so you’ll get a quicker answer via those 3 first. Blog comments that are questions I’ll try to get to or put it in a post like this.

My answer:

Well admittedly in hindsight I remember the nice ones more. But shop staff are usually hired because they’re cute, they have a look the brand wants, and they’re friendly. Bonuses are rewarded on how many sales they make so being friendly is usually a bonus to that. However, because of the pressures of quotas it feels like some shop staff are very pushy to buy things.

DIA in Shibuya 109 I’m pretty sure has a strict quota because they are very very pushy. I don’t blame them because they have to make money or they’re fired and it only benefits them if you buy from them. However I feel this has made some of them fake, while some of them are so super friendly but just want you to buy everything.

If a shop staff is fake or pushy I just won’t buy from them, but really it’s rare.

Most are very kind, many are curious about what a gaijin is doing speaking Japanese to them and about my life. Lately with the rise of personal and shop blogs I get asked to take a lot more pictures with them for their blogs (more on that below). If I ask to take pictures they want to know about my blog, or they’re used to posing for pictures, or the majority are genuinely shocked or honored I’d ask them.

Candy Stripper – Shinjuku My Lord

ss41-candystripper

These two girls were a gem to talk to in the My Lord shopping mall of Shinjuku station. (engrish giggles). Candy Stripper staff are always so adorable!

ss41-candystripper-tattoo

I asked to photograph her like this to show her cool neck tattoos, simple make-up and snapback before this season’s snapback craze. Ahead of the curve this girl was! She asked to take pictures of my tattoos and being a Candy Stripper fan I obliged. (refer above about that happening more).

ss41-candystripper-hair

One of my favorite shop staff photos I’ve taken. Soooo cute!

Stay Real – Standalone store on Takeshita Dori Harajuku

ss41-stayreal

Stay Real is a funky casual character brand that has really grown in Japan lately (http://www.istayreal.com/) When I dropped by to buy something in the window I asked for a picture of this lovely shop staff. Casual, yet cool.

stayreal-harajuku-softvinyl-tokyo

stayreal-harajuku-softvinyl-logo

This is what I saw in the window, their mascot “Mousy Shadow”. I used to be really into collecting soft vinyl and friends like visiting my place in Houston to find them all around so I had to pick up one of their tiny ones. Aren’t the glasses cute? :heartcat:

1. March 26, 2013 / 8:58 pm

Wow! This looks cute! I love Candy Stripper, and I love Harijuku fashion more and more!

2. Eve
    March 26, 2013 / 9:08 pm

Sorry if this is a noob question but what determines if a shop is gyaru or not? Is it just the style of the clothing?

March 26, 2013 / 9:41 pm

What makes a shop gyaru is my next post in the gyaru university series, stay tuned XD

3. March 26, 2013 / 9:26 pm

Totally adorable, love the pictures.

4. March 26, 2013 / 10:03 pm

I love Candy Stripper. I wish more of their items were in my price range D:

As for shop staff – I find that the busier the store, the less friendly they are. In particular, I find the shop staff at Shibuya 109 and even sometimes Lumine EST to be less friendly, outgoing, or welcoming to me. I think those places are also much more used to seeing foreigners, so they have less of them “omg wow!” factor. If I don’t appear to be really interested in buying something (i.e. asking to try anything on) I tend to feel pretty ignored in those places. But when I’ve been to smaller stores in other localities I find the staff to be super friendly and nice. They probably need the sale more, but they also tend to seem more genuine and happy just to chat about their brand :)

5. March 27, 2013 / 1:08 am

in urahara stores such as candy stripper I have found the staff to be very friendly! they were really lovely and chatty despite my rather crappy Japanese, haha. to my surprise though a lot of the 109 staff tend to be more stand-offish. the worst has to be at more boutique places in daikanyama and such. but that is probably because they know their clientele very well.

it also varies region to region, Kansai staff in Osaka and such also tend to be more chatty (but that apparently is also part of the Osaka character so maybe I don’t know).

x

6. March 27, 2013 / 1:16 am

I know what you mean about being pushy…. i personally don’t like when shop assistants act that way, but now since i work part time in a shop as well, i kind of understand their behavior.
    the place i work at is kind of the same… we do not only have to sell a lot but they expect us to have an average on very cash recipe, which basically suggests that you sell 2-4 pieces per customer.
    in my workplace are really good shop assistants, but sometimes customers come back and return the stuff. and sometimes i come to thing ‘why did she buy it in the first place? it’s totally not her style” and then i realize, that it was sold by those mentioned shop staff. i have no clue how they argue, that the customers buy stuff, when in reality in the end, they don’t really like it…

i try to be as friendly as possible too, but when i don’t like something on customers, i usually show them something else what i think would look better on them in my opinion.
    maybe because this is the way i’d like to be treated too, instead of hearing false compliments…

in japan it’s really different though to work as a shop staff i think. here in germany we kind of present the shop we’re working at too, but i feel that in japan you really have to live that brand.
    i guess many shop staff girls also wear clothing from that brand in their free time. i don’t think that’s quite the same here at my place <:

7. March 27, 2013 / 3:42 am

Those Candy Strippers staff look so cute..! Is a ‘snapback’ a baseball cap? If so, yay for accidentally ordering a trend item without knowing! XD

One of the things I found scariest about Japan, since my language isn’t that good yet, was that I had NO IDEA if people were being fake or not. Since I didn’t have the language skills to ‘disarm’ them by actually communicating (and had some trouble understanding them, especially in Fukuoka where the shop staff tended to put on a really shrill voice), I actually felt that most of them were very fake and seemed kind of stressed.

The Japanese sales style also seems very strange compared to the kind we experience back home- my BF described it as ‘talking to themselves’ as they often didn’t directly engage the customer, instead welcoming them while preening the stock. XD In England, the staff will directly ask you if you’re looking for something specific, or explain about the store (e.g. in lingerie places with drawers), so it’s much easier to get them to give you some space.

I also find it uncomfortable being guided out of the shop after making my purchases. In England, very often on my way out is when I will spot something else I want to buy. XD So in my case, they’re kind of missing out on another chance at a sale.

March 28, 2013 / 4:34 pm

Snapback is, it’s the type with a plastic series of fasteners to snap on :)
      LOL that’s all of Japan tho they have to say welcome and they’re taught that a shrill voice is cuter. Yes agreed to me it sounds too shrill, but when a whole country decides on doing it I guess I’m in the wrong :)

8. March 27, 2013 / 6:52 am

Mitsu! Thanks so much for answering my question! I would have asked via twitter but I don’t have a twitter account anymore. ;__;
    I’m so glad shop staff are friendly! It does suck about them being fake/pushy sometimes though. I guess gyaru brand stores are different because I was effectively ignored at Angelic Pretty in Laforet! >__<; but anyway thanks again! You will forever remain my fave gal blogger!

XOXO
    -theflyingace/Kate

March 28, 2013 / 4:32 pm

I think lolita has to deal with a lot of people there for the curious factor, so it may harden them. Please ask me via comment next time XD I love blog comments :D :D :D

9. March 27, 2013 / 11:59 am

My god those Candy Stripper girls are adorable! I wish I could afford their clothing, they have so many cute items *-*

March 28, 2013 / 4:31 pm

Agreed! Their prices are painful, I just bought a t-shirt only. They had it in a baggier form, but I was like uhhh this t-shirt is 2,000 yen less. I’ll take that XD

10. March 28, 2013 / 10:57 am

Pretty much in love with these shop staff :oops:

11. March 31, 2013 / 4:08 pm

The Candy Stripper’s shopgirls are so so amazing ! I love their little-bit-grunge but still cute style <3
    Though I'm not a big fan of Stay Real their little mascot is adorable ^-^

It's clear that 109 shops must have a quota for the shopgirls, or maybe there is a bonus for the best shopgirls (in terms of selling) ?
    But I'm sure you have clearly a lot more of good experiences than bad ones with the shopgirls (^0^) All the girls you photograph seem to be so kind and adorable.

And your blog is so inspiring~~I've spent the last hour reading your blog, I love it !

12. April 15, 2013 / 11:10 am

Hi Mitsu! I have a quick question for you and wasn’t sure where I should ask it since I don’t have a twitter. :(

Anyways, I’m actually planning to go to Japan some time after July. I was just curious when you might suggest a good time to go? I’m actually more curious of when stores start rolling out their A/W stuff just so I can buy stuff to transition into the new seasons. Hope you can answer my question. Thanks in advance! <3

April 15, 2013 / 6:35 pm

September is good but October is best weather wise and full on Winter apparel with coats etc…