Gyaru University: Japanese Gyaru Clothing Brands

This is a Gyaru University post. A series of posts aimed at laying down the foundation for a well rounded knowledge of current Japanese gyaru street style.

I talk a lot about gyaru clothing (hell this blog is 80% clothing, 20% travel, and the rest of the 10% is beauty, food and randomness) but I’m going to try to define what exactly is a gyaru brand. Gyaru brands are very big and profitable businesses, these giant clothing conglomerates that prove that gyaru just isn’t about make-up and hair.

Most of your favorite gyaru brands are part of conglomerates. Vent International owns Jugeetta, Liz Lisa, Liz Lisa Doll, Tralala and Killwatch. Runway Channel owns Emoda, Jouetie, Dazzlin, Murua, Laguna Moon, Gyda and other non-gyaru brands. Another group owns Mars, MeJane and Princess Melody. Another Sly, Rodeo Crows, Rienda, Miel Christnaut and more. They’re huge.

whatisagyarubrand

That’s my definition to describe gyaru brands. Why Shibuya 109 and not say Machida 109 or Fukuoka Tenjin core or any other the other gyaru malls in Japan? Because Shibuya 109 has only gyaru brands for the most part, they’re known as the mecca of gyaru. So they make the best example of a gyaru mall.

If it’s in Shibuya 109, you can say it’s a gyaru brand. What brands are in Shibuya 109? Well check out their website and webstore (shopping service only). Their current stock is current gyaru clothing.

What are gyaru magazines? Oh girls you know I wrote about about this earlier: gyaru magazine encyclopedia:wink:

What do gyaru models wear? Well search on crooz or popular blogs on amoeba. Usually you can view their off duty outfits and see what they wear. Popteen and other magazines also show their off-duty style, too. Why gyaru models? Because they’re wearing the trends a few months before everyone else often because they had to do magazine shoots in them, and they go to exhibitions of the clothing, they are the trendsetters. I decided to put this in for many of the web and hime brands. Web brands like Yumetenbo don’t often get a lot of magazine love except for Popteen ads, but they are popular with gyaru. Same for hime brands.

So let’s try my theory out!

gyarubrand-jsg

JSG – It’s in LA Foret, but was in Shibuya 109. Gyaru models wear it (Egg model Kanako Kawabata loves it), and it’s in gyaru magazines. BOOM! It’s a gyaru brand.  :stepup:

gyarubrand-lizlisa

Liz Lisa – It’s in Shibuya 109. Gyaru models wear it. It’s in gyaru magazines.  :stepup:

gyarubrand-murua

Murua – It’s  not in Shibuya 109. But gyaru models wear it and it’s in gyaru magazines.  :stepup:

gyarubrand-ghostofharlem

Ghost of Harlem – It’s not in Shibuya 109. But gyaru models wear it and it’s in gyaru magazines.  :stepup: side note: for the previous make-up post, check out Sakurina with those straight eyebrows and less bottom eyeliner.

gyarubrand-snidel

Snidel – It’s not in Shibuya 109. Gyaru models wear it occasionally and it’s in some gyaru magazines. It’s 2 of the 3, but not a gyaru brand.  :sage:

gyarubrand-jesusdiamante

Jesus Diamante – It’s not in Shibuya 109. And it’s rarely in gyaru magazines (mostly Ageha only), but gyaru models wear it (Himena). So even though it’s barely 2, it’s still a gyaru brand.  :stepup:

There’s grey area mainly with the more mature brands. Like Murua clientele is not just gyaru, but neither are a lot of gyaru brands. Mercury Duo is part of a clothing group that owns gyaru brands, but it’s not one. Does it matter if they are? NO! Of course not, personally I’m a big Mercury Duo fan. But if you’d like to further understand gyaru fashion, seeing current styles by definite gyaru brands is the best way to do it.

Why are gyaru clothing brands so important when using overseas brands you can recreate looks?

Because they’re the trend makers and they can help you identify a gyaru style you like and even if you’ve already decided on the style or styles you enjoy you can see more of them.

Gyaru Brands even if you don’t buy from them can teach you

:bow: what’s instantly on trend
:bow: what defines their style
:bow: how to coordinate based on their style
:bow: many have shop staff blogs that go deeper with hair and make-up and more coordinate posts

How to easily look at gyaru brands

This blog is one, thanks for reading :loveword:  Two other ways to check out what’s gyaru clothing on-line is Japanese auction site mbok (previous post)’s listing of gyaru brands for their auction categories. Also popular shopping site fashionwalker has their Shibuya Style Village which hosts a lot of popular gyaru brands and you can see the newest pieces by them.

fashionwalker-shibuyastylevillage

Fashionwalker has a listing of brands within its Shibuya Style Village and coordinates from popular brands. Even if you don’t shop there it’s a fun resource.

Probably the number one thing I hear with overseas gyaru say is gyaru is only about the make-up. WHAAAA (confused Mitsu is confused) How are there malls full of clothing and 16 monthly or bi-monthly magazines dedicated to it? Most of the mags are 60% clothing.  :catno:

Filed under:gyaru university

20 Responses to “Gyaru University: Japanese Gyaru Clothing Brands”

1. Ami says:

Now if only I could afford outfits from some of these places O.o

2. Dolly says:

Great post as usual. :)

I don’t understand how girls can say gyaru is all about makeup either! I understand that through makeup, you can easily tell (usually) that a girl is into gyaru. But I definitely think it’s clothes that makes a person stand out! I never really thought about the 2/3 rule for gyaru brands but I think it’s pretty spot on.

3. Eve says:

Great post as always! I’m glad to learn about this stuff because I can’t find a lot of other information out there. Unfortunately I have no way of obtaining clothing from overseas so I just make do with what I can find here. I just look for gyaru-esque clothing but it’s actually pretty difficult!

4. Hannah says:

This is such a great post for girls starting out in Gyaru fashion (and even those who have investigated for a while) :hearts3:

I love how much effort and thought you put into it~ Wonderfully written! :korila:

5. ah perfect! <3 I love reading your posts because they are so well thought out :D

6. Love love love it! Preach it girl!

7. I will still love gyaru!!! :P

8. Jennie ♥ says:

Love this post!! I really adore the gal style even if I don´t a pure gal mama myself (but defently gal mama light for yrs now, model: older, Im 37 *lol*) Cos I live in Sweden I look at the trends and then I order what I can but most I look for similar style/brands here. I love your blog and refers my readers to yours ^^/ Thanx for sharing!!

9. Jennie ♥ says:

Sry, misspell: suppous to stand: Im not a pure gal mama, not: I don´t ^^

10. Jennie ♥ says:

and for me gyaru is a lifestyle :)

11. ロキシー says:

great post! I really need to find some gyaru magazines in Japan! I really wanna start but I just don’t know where to start. Fashion wise, I’m into so many different styles that it’s so hard to stick to one http://universal-doll.com/wp-content/plugins/smilies-themer/mitsucons/icon_cry.gif

12. Nagareboshi says:

Gyaru is the whole package, right down to the shoes, nails, hair and accessories. I often use magazines and online stores for inspiration. Sometimes I buy stuff from Japan, other times I am able to find very affordable items right here (Australia) that look gyaru. ^__^

13. chibisou says:

i love japanese brands!!!

can you post about where can we purchase japanese brand using paypal that ship worldwide?

14. Suteisi says:

I discovered LUMINE EST in Shinjuku during my last trip in Tokyo and thought it represented GYARU pretty well. Yes? No?

• Mitsu says:

I do absolutely love Lumine Est and is my second favorite gyaru mall in Tokyo (ikebukuro parco #1) but there’s also stores which I would not consider gyaru in there at all.

15. Robin says:

I think people get “unifying factor” mixed up with other things. For a long time, though the clothing in styles differed, most gals had similar hair and make-up. It’s definitely not all about hair & make-up, but that’s one of the ways people identified gyaru. Like you said, a brand can be gal but gals aren’t the only ones buying. All style is about the total package. Especially, gal.

Even as a girl that can’t fit Japanese gyaru clothes, I look to the brands for trends. I’m also a fan of ordering accessories form Japan.

I’m super glad you made this post! I think it’s probably one of the most helpful posts you’ve ever made! I love it and I’ll keep it bookmarked :D

16. Bubblipop says:

Oh, but I can’t find some of the brands websites! ;_; Google won’t help me one single bit.

17. Jenny says:

I love your Gyaru University series!

I gave you a little shout out on my blog and linked this article. Thanks for always keeping us up with the trends