Around Takamatsu and the super cute Kotoden Dolphin Train

Most everything in Japan has a mascot or two, but I’ve got to say a whole painted out Dolphin Train on the Kotoden Line in Takamatsu was one of the cutest mascot branding in Japan I’ve ever seen. The Takamatsu-Kotohira line aka Kotoden has a smart card ticketing service called “IruCa” a play on iruka (イルカ/海豚) meaning dolphin. So of course they have a super cute dolphin mascot and one of their trains is done completely in dolphin logo.

takamatsu-kawaii-train-dolphin-wa-styletakamatsu-iruka-dolphin-wa-train-kawaii-train takamatsu-kawaii-train-cute-dolphin-udon-slurptakamatsu-iruka-dolphin-train-insidetakamatsu-cute-dolphin-train takamatsu-iruca-vending-machine-kawaii takamatsu-kotoden-bus-iruca-cute-busstop

Even bus stops got the treatment. So cute, right? Cutest train I’ve ever been on. :alpaca:

Tamamo Park

Tamamo Park (Tamamo-koen 玉藻公園) home to Takamatsu Castle which is in the process of being rebuilt. Maybe I was there on an off day but it was free.

takamatsu-castle-parktakamatsu-park-castle-area

takamatsu-colored-manhole-cover

And as always I document manhole covers throughout Japan. They’re really fancy.  :stars:

Tamamo Breakwater

takamatsu-ferry-service-boarding takamatsu-lighthouse-from-observation-decktakamatsu-pier-panda-cruise-boattakamatsu-sunset-pier-view-cruise-ships takamatsu-moody-sunset takamatsu-sunset-dolphin-benchtakamatsu-sunset-couple-on-pier

Takamatsu Symbol Tower (高松シンボールタワー) has an observation deck and the first picture was from there. Then I walked to Tamamo Breakwater which is where the lighthouse & pier and located in the picture. I went during sunset and I was a great way to end a day spent seeing nice sights and hiking around. I would’ve liked to take a ferry to Ogijima or Megijima the small outlying islands near Takamatsu, but I ran out of time.

I really recommend heading to Takamatsu. In a day I hit most of the sights and it’s definitely a different experience than mainland Honshu Japan.  Be sure to check out my other posts about Shikoku island. :wink:

spending note: Money spent that day other than hotel was around $27 USD including transport and food. Japan travel doesn’t have to be expensive. I’ll keep trying to do this to remind that being a tourist in Japan is very budget doable without having to compromise on seeing amazing things.

1. June 18, 2013 / 3:09 pm

These places look so nice :3. I especially love the dolphin train <3.

June 18, 2013 / 6:01 pm

It’s so cute isn’t it XD

2. June 18, 2013 / 3:27 pm

Ahhh, the train is so cute!! <33
    Wish the metro here would have these types of decorations, but unfortunately I'm stuck with SF's boring old trains hehe :)
    Great blog post as always!

June 18, 2013 / 6:01 pm

Tokyo trains tend to be boring except for rare advertising, same with Osaka. I’d like more theme trains :)

3. June 18, 2013 / 5:20 pm

OMG shut up with that train! I died of cute.

June 18, 2013 / 6:01 pm

I saw it pull it up and mouth dropped open, shock of cuteness!

4. June 18, 2013 / 6:41 pm

I love that park bench with the little whales/dolphins on the side!! XD Japan is so creative at making everything cute!!

5. June 18, 2013 / 10:17 pm

The places that you went looks soo nicee!!
    The dolphin train is sooo cutee OMG!!!!!!!!

6. June 19, 2013 / 2:43 am

Why can’t stuff in Florida be cute ;_____;

7. June 19, 2013 / 3:37 am

The dolphin train is so cute <3 I never knew there was such a thing as fancy manhole covers!

8. shiki
    June 19, 2013 / 2:17 pm

OMG, the dolphin train is so cute! I like that everything is character crazed. I wonder how the keep the hanging dolphin plushies so clean and unvandalized/stolen.

It’s good to know that Japan travel doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg as I really hope to visit there someday. But I think there’s not going to be anyway for me to save on shopping, lol. :mrgreen:

9. June 20, 2013 / 8:41 am