Mermaid Nails x Jeremy Scott nails at Nail Salon Avarice in Harajuku

As usual I browse beauty.hotpepper.jp for nail appointments in Japan and was amazed to find a nail salon doing proper original style. Since Disco Nails Shibuya (post 1 | post 2) seriously took off and Nagi Coco has been doing interviews for documentaries on nail art and full page spreads in nail magazines and even traveled to London recently to do a demonstration. They changed locations and their prices (understandably) skyrocketed. I’ve been trying to find another salon that does awesome work but still well priced.

Finally Ava-Rice Nail Salon to the rescue! Their new salon is in Harajuku and is just two women doing great nails in a quiet setting. My nailist Aya Yoshida (instagram) was one of the nicest nailists. I got my nails done the day after I landed and she was so kind to my jetlagged language blunders and was so happy to chat about anything or just relax and sit back. Beyond her niceness her nails are solid. Recently even Momoko Ogihara called out her outstanding skills.

avarice-nail-salon-harajuku

Some of their recent work. Fabulous, right? :wink:

Mermaid Inspiration

Since I was going to Okinawa I asked for a mermaid theme with Jeremy Scott’s Summer collection prints thrown in.

nail-idea-vintage-mermaids nail-inspiration-jeremyscott-bag

My two inspiration pictures I brought to Ava-rice. Vintage mermaid pictures from Etsy and Jeremy Scott’s Money Leopard print from Spring.

Mermaid and Jeremy Scott Spring nails

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

TA-DA Mermaid nails even shown on the beach in Okinawa! I asked to change the mermaid’s hair to blonde since I’m a blonde (bias). :wink: I really love them and they definitely lasted 4 weeks.

Inside Nail Salon AVA-RICE

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Cool cross wall and their tv played in the background. They had dvds of mostly awesome 80s and 90s movies. When I walked in they were playing Addams Family and then after it finished she put in Beetlejuice for me. Two of my favorite and theirs! I love when tastes sync! SUCH A FABULOUS TIME!

When they found out I wanted to take pictures for my blog they kindly showed me their sample trays to take photos of (shown above). I’m so happy they were so welcoming to me. I usually go to two different nail salons each time I visit Japan, but how kind the staff was I had to rebook at Ava-Rice. I really recommend Ava-rice! Of course like any other salon in Tokyo don’t expect English, but if your Japanese knowledge is okay do give them a visit  :smiley:
If you can’t enjoy their nail art in person and book via hot pepper link you can check out Ava-Rice’s their website, tumblr, twitter and instagram are all great!

Tags: , ,

Filed under:nails

14 Responses to “Mermaid Nails x Jeremy Scott nails at Nail Salon Avarice in Harajuku”

1. Ludachka says:

Those nails turned out fabulous! Love the combination of Jeremy Scott and mermaids… definitely a nice fit for summer :)

2. You had me at ‘mermaid’ XD <3

3. Love Chloe says:

Wow all the nails are soo pretty!! I really like the mermaids one haha!

4. Anhy says:

WOW the nail salon looks so cool *_* very unique, I for one haven’t seen one like this before and I really like the style. If I ever have the chance to go to JP I definitely want to visit this salon. :yayblush: The first ones look amazing but I also love the mermaids/Jeremy Scott one. Very impressive, thanks for sharing this :marie:

5. Amanda says:

Waaa this is so nice!!!
    Now I’m considering paying a visit to the salon ^^

6. Jamie says:

Kawaii mermaid nails!!! :P May i know how much is the whole set like this that u did in the nail salon? I always wanted to try to do my nails in Tokyo when i visit there, just aint sure how much it roughly cost..

7. Soukkuma says:

Waaa ! Those mermaid nails are so cute ! :3 They really do a good job and I`ll visit this salon when I`ll go to Japan for sure ~! <3

8. Jiru says:

Your nails turned out so pretty! I love how she was able to combine the two pictures into one nail art.

9. Angel says:

oh wow! the nail designs are so lovely! I really must must go there when I go to Japan someday :)

10. Floss says:

Hi Mitsu, do you have any salon recommendations for those of us who are lacking in the nihongo department? I am going to be in Tokyo in a couple of months and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get my nails done (gel preferably but can deal with acrylics too!), but I don’t speak Japanese. I’ve read your guide to getting nails done and could happily use that, but you say that won’t be enough. I was hoping point-and-smile might get me through :D I love avarice’s style but anywhere you know that can accommodate english speaking clients will be greatly appreciated! Thank yooou and please keep up the great work, love your blog!

• Mitsu says:

Gaijin-Pot forums search is probably the best place to start hunting. I don’t know any off the top of my head, sorry!

11. pinkmink says:

I know a great place!

There is an awesome nailist I know who speaks hungarian, english, and japanese.
    Please tell her Diana sent you- she is great and super super talented! Book early though!

Here is her staff blog. Her name is Lena.

12. Mai says:

These nails are amazing! I’ll have to check this salon out, thanks for sharing it.

I have a question though. I heard that if we have our nails done at one place and then go to another salon, they’ll charge us extra to remove it. Is this true? I had my nails done last month and am thinking about going to this one but I’m not sure how much the removal will cost. Also, I’m a bit new to the nail game, but does this salon use shellac nail polish like all of the other salons?

Thank you again!

• Mitsu says:

Depends on the salon. Most have a first-time it’s free to remove.

Shellac is very uncommon in Japan nail salons. Shellac is a soft gel and made primarily for home use in Japan. Instead they use a hard gel. Shellac 1-3 weeks. Hard gel 3-5 weeks.