Ritsurin Park in Takamatsu Shikoku Japan

Ritsurin Park (栗林公園,) is in Takamatsu (高松市) on the Shikoku Island (map & previous post). Now I have been to the Three Great Gardens of Japan (日本三名園). Japanese love to group viewing places into threes i.e. : three great buddhas, three great night views etc… And I have to say it’s a shame that Ritsurin Koen (site) is not in those top three. I don’t know what I was expecting, but I was shocked such a gem existed on a small island.

Now being a Japanese garden freak and seeing many around Japan I’d rank this one as number two, right behind Kenrokuen in Kanazawa (post).

I hope my photos do it justice. I was also privileged to be there during iris season which made me and the old people visiting the garden quite impressed. But what stunned me was the boat tour through the garden. I’m more a hiker through these massive gardens, but I was amazed seeing such a classic sight and it puts into perspective how huge Ritsurin Park actually is.

takamatsu-ritsurin-koen-above-view

takamatsu-ritsurin-koen-lilypads

takamatsu-ritsurin-koen-trees

takamatsu-ritsurin-park-reflection

takamatsu-ritsurin-park-stones

takamatsu-ritsurin-koen-gift-shop

takamatsu-ritsurin-park-yakimochi-redbean-paste

Sometimes I just look back at pictures and think “Wow I really saw that and went there.” Ritsurin Koen made me feel that way.

No I did not just put a green filter on all the photos. Most of these were just resized, it really was that green! :alpaca: What better way to refill after such hiking with a yaki dango mochi stick slathered with red bean paste. Yes the “wa” was flowing within me that day. :wink:

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Ritsurin Park in Takamatsu Shikoku Japan”

1. Sami says:

Absolutely beautiful!!

2. Emily says:

so beautifulllll *___* ♥

3. Ah I love gardens like this <3 It looks so beautiful and peaceful :)

4. Love Chloe says:

OMG! So beautiful!! :0!!! love beautiful gardens! by the way your really good at taking photos!!

5. tracy says:

absolutely incredible! I would love to visit this place being a fan of nature and parks! if only I could walk my dog here haha. I especially love the first two pictures. thanks for sharing!

6. Nagareboshi says:

What a beautiful place! Thank you for sharing. ^__^

7. Jiru says:

It looks absolutely beautiful. Wow!

8. Glad you liked Ritsurin so much, actually your post made me want to go this week-end (I live 20 minutes walking from it).

One details though, the “three great of Japan” doesn’t mean anything, it’s just a name. Proof is the Ritsurin indeed, not part of any “three greats” and yet, definitely in the top three of the most beautiful gardens in Japan.

• Mitsu says:

Agreed, but I think it’s really focused attention on those. I wish more people promoted Ritsurin more, it’s too lovely to be ignored!

9. Kurt says:

I visited Ritsurin Garden in 1985 with my father. I must say that it still looks as beautiful as I remember, almost unchanged by time. While there I purchased a carving from the gift shop there that is made from a piece of one of the pine trees. These carvings are hand made, sign and numbered pieces and very well done. It is still a treasure of mine and brings back fond memories of my visit. Ritsurin is a world class garden and very much worth the trip. Some of the photographs I took during my visit still hang in my house today.