Beyond Agepoyo, new Gal-go Slang from August Ageha

I swear agepoyo is the yolo/swag of Japan. It’s almost overused as much. Unsure what Agepoyo means? It means “to get excited” best outdated similar English slang I can think of is “raise tha roof”. XD

But now there’s new popular gal slang known as ギャル語 / gyaru-go that’s coming out and so let’s talk about it.

ageha-august-2013-magAgeha’s August issue voted on some new popular slang, too!

Ageha’s Top 3 new Gyaru-go:

やばば | Yababa!

Even more than “Yabai” aka dangerous. So a sticky situation. Kind of like “eeeks!” Just like “eeks!” and “Eeeeeek!!” It can go from “やばば” to “やばばばばば” depending on the stickiness of the situation.

KS

Popular chat application “Line” shows when another party has read the chat line. Taken from “既読スルー” Kidoku Through – Kidoku Suru- romanized. Kidoku means “already read” KS is when a person reads your text, it’s shown as being read, but doesn’t respond.

line-app-fatty

Lucie read my weird curse slang, but not my discussion of how much of a pig I am in Japan. :smiley: KS :heartbreak:

PS I Line for the sole reason to have Nameko stickers. :alpaca:

ヤグる | Yaguru

To catch your boyfriend in the act of cheating.

Other Gyaru-go:

I picked these out of several sites ranking gyarugo the main one being a goo ranking site here.

KY

Meaning “空気読めない” Kuuki Yomenai. Litterally can’t read the atmosphere. An example is like say you walk into a room of your friends and one is crying. And you say “Is everyone excited for Disneyland?”. Of course not, something went down.

Along with MKY|SKY Maji/Sugoi meaning you are really KY. KY is a really super popular phrase, I think more than Agepoyo.

exile

ザイる | Zairu

A group of guys looking like Exile have congregated. Soul Japan magazine is a good example XD

かまちょ | Kamacho
A shortened version of かまってちょーだい translated as “Give me some lovin'”

shizuoka-109-purikura-meherjyoshi-gyaru

Which purikura machine will make me say: カミッテル :stars:

カミッテル | Kamitteru

A shortened version of “神がかっている” meaning possessed by a spirit. Meant to be really damn amazing. Like if you look really fabulous in a purikura, “Kamitteru!”

とりま | Torima

A shortened version of “とりあえず、まぁ” meaning “In the meantime, well…”

パギャル | PaGyaru

A shortened version of “中途半端なギャル” (Chuuto Hanpa na Gyaru) meaning “Halfway-Gyaru” usually means a half-assed gal. An insult usually about girls from the countryside.
Another one is “控えめなギャル” (Hikaeme na Gyaru) meaning “Backup Gyaru” a girl who wears gyaru clothing but keeps her hair black and doesn’t really go all the way in Gyaru style.

ウーロンチャ | Oolong Tea

A pun using pieces katakana for Oolong Tea. “U” Uzai/Annoying “Ron” Long Hair “Cha” Dyed Brown. An annoying girl with long brown hair.

おつハムニダ | Otsu-Hamunida

A combo of “Otsukaresama” meaning “Good Work” and Korean “Kamsahamnida”. A slang way of saying “Good work”

あとーんす | Atoonsu

A slang way of saying “Arigato” aka thank you.

おかわ | Okawa

Meaning super cute. From the slang “大かわいい”

MK5

A slang for the shortened version of “マジで切れる5秒前” Meaning I’m this close to freaking the fuck out.

Need more? Twitter gal_phrase bot updates with new slang all the time. Not all of it is gyaru only.

Did I mess up? Probably. Languages and me, often not friends :heartbreak: Want to know something silly? If I’m traveling overseas in Europe and I get nervous when someone asks me a question not in English I clam up and answer “はい!/HAI”. Seriously why do I resort to my second language, one probably the other person has the less chance of knowing?! :catno: My man bursts out laughing each time. :heartbreak:

What’s your favorite silly slang? Comment below :sage:

Share:

1. emmie
    July 19, 2013 / 9:49 am

I’m pretty sure the first slang word says Yababa rather than yahoho?

July 19, 2013 / 10:32 am

You’re right! Lol thanks for catching my typo :D

2. July 19, 2013 / 11:04 am

ヤグる | Yageru <- your Katakana says "yaguru". I'm not sure which one is the correct slang, but if it is supposed to be yageru it would be typed ヤゲる :)

I'm personally glad agepoyo is finally going out. I'm so tired of hearing it.

July 19, 2013 / 11:26 am

Yay! Thanks for proofing me. In another language I just glaze over sometimes XD Yaguru is the correct term :)
      God yes, totally the swag of Japanese D:

3. Kei
    July 19, 2013 / 4:56 pm

I love the fact that if i want to avoid talking to chinese people in HK i just go “engrish?” or vice versa to english people. Second language is such a life saver for us awkward potatoes… ( ̄▽ ̄)

July 23, 2013 / 12:59 pm

hahahaa potato friend ♥♥♥

4. July 19, 2013 / 11:01 pm

I’m really loving “zairu” ! I don’t think it’d ever be applicable where I’m at though. I also seriously wish I could say “give me some lovin'” without it sounding risque.

July 23, 2013 / 12:59 pm

I think it’s dated, the Atsushi hairstyle seems to not be as popular now. //sad// I liked his hair XD

5. July 20, 2013 / 3:17 am

This is cool, thanks for sharing!!! ^__^

July 23, 2013 / 12:59 pm

Thanks for enjoying!

6. Aiki
    July 20, 2013 / 2:08 pm

あとーんす | Otoonsu
    Should be atoonsu, not otoonsu.

July 20, 2013 / 9:53 pm

Thank you! I type something and just don’t see it again. In a different language I’m crap. Jet lag is making me even more worse

7. July 20, 2013 / 4:27 pm

ahha soooo helpful & funny~~ Wish I could use them ;-;

July 23, 2013 / 12:58 pm

Awwwh but if you use line you can at least use KS to yourself XD

8. July 20, 2013 / 7:02 pm

Aaah, wow. Thanks for the slang tips.
    It’s always interesting to see slang in another culture.
    More than that, it’s nice to see the different dialects that come up because of hobbies and lifestyles.
    This is a pretty handy and funny list.

Thanks again.

July 23, 2013 / 12:58 pm

Yea, the evolution of language is cool!

9. July 20, 2013 / 10:10 pm

Wow cool! This slands are really interesting!
    Thanks for sharing :)

July 23, 2013 / 12:57 pm

Thanks for reading!!

July 23, 2013 / 12:57 pm

Happy to do so!

10. July 21, 2013 / 8:28 pm

Haha, I love MK5, I can see myself using that so the other teachers don’t understand!

July 23, 2013 / 12:57 pm

LOL seriously I can see myself secretly texting a friend being annoyed a KY companion XD

11. July 22, 2013 / 10:31 am

Ah! I love Japanese slang! ^o^ One I learned from work is 激おこぷんぷん丸 geki oko pun pun maru which is used for someone who’s really, really pissed off. And then, for when you’re depressed, there’s ガチしょんぼり沈殿丸 gachi shon bori chin den maru. I think one of these phrases appears in some Line stamps with the model Kumicky too :3
    I really like that MK5 one, but I supposed that’s one of those that only works in the written form ;w;

July 23, 2013 / 12:57 pm

pun pun LOL Like the sfx for puffing smoke like out of the ears? LOL that’s great!

12. August 2, 2013 / 5:15 am

Wow I wish I discovered this sooner, I love the slang like something fierce! XD

Also LINE is such a big thing here in the Philippines now, since messaging services like it are so convenient with Filipinos being all over the world. I just keep it for the stickers! Though we do have our own local endorsers as well as 2NE1 (since we adopted Sandara Park/Dara).