Gyaru News Odds and Ends: Popteen, Egg, WC and Gilfy

I’ve been using my twitter (miss_mitsu) to announce a lot of gyaru news lately and it’s started up a lot of chatter there. I really love twitter for the instant news and instant response aspect which blogging doesn’t have. I love talking on there, so please say hi and chat about things gyaru and not (English dramas, hip hop and any sports talk are a bonus )!

Anyways lets get this talk started, it’s going to have some painful talk too so …sorry!

Is the GAL ERA changing?

popteen-egg-octissue

Two of the October issues of the biggest gyaru magazines‘ covers have thrown me for a loop for different reasons.

Popteen

Popteen has Maapipi on the cover. As I’ve written before I’m a fan of her so this is no hate on her cute face. She’s very active on twitter, so much so she closed her blog and just tweets: follow her as  https://twitter.com/maapipi45. But Popteen state “GALの時代がかわる!!” meaning “The era of GAL has changed!!” and Maapipi is in extremely natural make-up.

Now I will never grump about the changing face of GAL. GAL has lasted for so long because a) it’s broad!! b) it allows for change. Early bodycon girls would look at MAMBAs and scoff, and Mambas would look at Amekaji and scoff, and so on an so forth.

The problem I have with the statement matched with the cover is not the natural make-up. Maapipi on her twitter has stated she’s a big fan of the Dolly Wink adult link of eyelashes and many eyelash companies (Eyemazing, Diamond etc…) have come out with more understated lashes so it’s been a trend within make-up for a while.

My problem is the amount of photoshop on the cover. It seems hypocritical to say the era of GAL has changed and is trending towards natural make-up, but to smooth out the face to a blur. You can’t live your life in maximum smoothing iPhone app in real life (lord, some days I wish).

Egg

As Tori said this cover is looking very Nuts. I like both models as well. Mihokko (土屋美穂 Tsuyami Miho) is a really cute and did the solo cover of the September issue. She’s described her as オレっ娘 aka boyish lady which I think is a really cute mix. But this seems too adult and staid for Egg which usually holds it down for the 96gyaru and even the remaining Mamba. Leopard print and tans… where are you?

Ranzuki though…

ranzuki-oct

The other magazine for the youth, Ranzuki seems to be holding it down. Although according to Ranzuki’s website the November issue will be Natsumi Saito’s last issue. Shucks, she was my favorite! I hope she lands another magazine!

w♥c and Gilfy troubles

w♥c struggles

Earlier this year Chinatsu stated that she was stepping down as designer of w♥c, but staying on a little bit to watch over. Her last collection was the Spring/Summer one that I blogged about because it was shown on Tokyo Fashion Week . But it wasn’t that well received in stores and most times I was in a w♥c in March I was the only customer which used to be a rarity. Now August was a huge shake-up because Chinatsu stated on her blog there was no chance of her ever working with w♥c again, so there must’ve been bad blood. Also Wakana Koneko who was Press from the beginning of w♥c has left. Her new blog: http://wakanakaneko0521.blogspot.jp/ and instagram http://instagram.com/wakana_kaneko

Last month w♥c closed 4 stores: Osaka HEP 5, Osaka Shinsaibashi OPA, Nagoya Passe and Shinjuku Lumine EST store. All that remains is the main store in Shibuya (photos 1, photos 2) and the Sky Tree store (photos 1, photos 2). They’ve also changed their website (http://wcwc.jp/) and their shop blog (http://ameblo.jp/wc-store).

A big name leaving would hurt the company, but the problem lies in the clothes and styling itself.

Screen shot 2013-09-03 at 4.28.33 PM

No Chinatsu-era playfulness just haphazard combined separates.

*pours coffee from my Kumatan tumblr for the bygone era*

Gilfy & ReDark struggles

Now one that isn’t as much talked about is Gilfy and ReDark’s slump. When I moved to Japan in 2007, Gilfy was the pinnacle of brands. Their knit caps sold out in several styles, their shoes were instant best-sellers. Their growth was extraordinary. They were different. A bit rock, a bit oraora, a whole lot of cool. Their store in Shibuya 109 was one of the largest.

Gilfy THEN

Look at that from 2009, all shop staff no models. That style, that edginess is still good. I’d wear all of that today!!

Gilfy NOW

gilfy-fall-coordinates

There’s still some good bits, but it looks too much like every other “cool” brand’s line. The criss-cross shoes are maybe the only stand-out. It’s not original like it used to be. Where’s my extra zippers and asymmetrical cuts and super interesting denim?

Because of this, Gilfy who used to rule GAL just 5 years ago has NO stores in Tokyo anymore. Only 4 more sole Gilfy stores remain including one in Saitama and one in Chiba. Back in 2012 when I blogged about their Spring/Summer collection they had 11 Gilfy stores + 9 Gilfy Markets (Gilfy ReDark and Backs combined stores) + 2 outlets. Now it’s 4 stores plus 10 markets (Gilfy / Backs / ReDark). Backs is still popular in 109 and amekaji brand ReDark has no stores, but still is in the “Gilfy Markets” at least for Spring… no word if the brand isn’t dying in Fall.

and to shed a tear down my floral coated body…

No word on Liz Lisa‘s roomwear/home line Chambre a Coucher (previous posts) closing or not, but it seems probable. I do still think Liz Lisa will probably do more roomwear and towels with their continuing My Melody successful collaboration.

I have a happy post next, I promise….it’s really cool too so look forward to it and then 2 funny ones, so this is just a roadbump!!

popeteen

I also think photoshop and memes in gyaru need to happen.  :smiley:

Tags: , , , ,

21 Responses to “Gyaru News Odds and Ends: Popteen, Egg, WC and Gilfy”

1. Sami says:

I didn’t realise Wakana had left WC now too, I’m so sad to see my favourite brand decline and so rapidly too!
    It makes me treasure all my pieces even more though

I’m also super sad that I never got to visit any of the stores during my love rampage for them, I’d still like to visit because the store itself looks awesome but the clothing these days, it’s just so basic and not the WC we used to know and love!!

Also super sad to hear about Gilfy, I always loved the look of that brand. Really shocked to see it’s change and see it’s decline :(

2. This is all very interesting! Its always a little heartbreaking when a brand I love slowly fades into nothing :( Thank you for keeping us updated, though! :3

3. PuriGal says:

I used to love Gilfy but recently it does seem a bit meh. I didn’t bother with the fukubukuro this year either. Shame because it was a good edgy-yet wearable brand!

• Mitsu says:

I really have been constantly disappointed by their fukubukuro. I feel like they do 2 tank tops (which in winter who wants) and 2 long sleeve shirts that except for one having a print on it look like something you could buy at Uniqlo and then maybe a nice jacket. But it’s disappointing

4. Laura says:

Chambre a Coucher possible closing??? What brought about that rumor?
    Also I agree the Egg and Popteen covers are pretty awful.

• Mitsu says:

It’s not really a rumor. In early Spring (Jan-Feb) they removed their Chambre a Coucher items from all stores except for 109 and 109 only had a few select pieces in May. Then from May until now they’ve been having sales of all the Chambre items without putting anything new out. Since then they’ve been selling lucky bags of their remaining items. Their main website also since their Fall redesign of it has not listed Chambre, only their make-up line. Now since in the past My Melody items have had roomwear and small towels and household items. So it’s possible with the continued success of the My Melody collab items may get introduced. But I do fear it’s the end of Chambre.

5. Abbie says:

I wasn’t a die-hard fan of W*C however I must admit there were some select items I desperately wanted and to see the “fashions” they’ve churned out with the lost of Chinatsu makes me shake my head. It’s very sad. (Like ugh that sweater, seriously.) And I have to admit that personally I found the best and most inspiring gal eras to be 04-09. All the fashions were vibrant, fun, cool, sexy, everything had a POP and a cuteness to them.

I generally feel very meh about the state of most brands these days as they all seem to hard to try an emulate western chic/high fashion– Which there isn’t anything wrong with, but that’s not what I come to Gyaru for–

Those covers are really disaster, especially the Popteen one, but it doesn’t surprise me. I am disappointed in Egg though, and I hope they go back to their roots soon. I’m ever grateful for Ranzuki for holding it down, and giving me the spirit of Gyaru I come searching for. I hope Ageha doesn’t get strange and weird too!

6. Jenny says:

Am I just noticing more and more gals steering away from their iconic blonde-brown hair color or has this been happening for a while?

It’s so sad to hear that brands like Gilfy are dying. I hope this isn’t a sign for more bad news to come.

7. Amaya says:

I completely agree with you on this! I was shocked when I recently bought some gyaru magazines.. the ”cool minimalist” style really is nice to look at. But honestly, Gyaru always appealed to me because the gyaru spirit and style is wild and edgy. Now they just churn out the same minimalist cool stuff over and over and over again. It’s really, really sad.

8. Suteisi says:

I’m really sad about Gilfy because it was one of my top favorite brands!! I thought they had special pieces that were unique to Japan but could easily be wearable anywhere else or mixed and matched with anything else in my wardrobe. There needs to be more brands like Gilfy T__T

9. Alyse says:

Oh NOOOO. What is going on WC??? What is that hot mess all over their site?? This is just.. just sad. I knew things were changing but.. this is too much.
    I see WC is going to be carried in WEGO shops (I actually like WEGO, but more for punky basics??), so maybe they’re trying to curtail their styles toward the WEGO crowd? More understated street-kei? Baggy items and layering? I don’t know..
    WC’s new arrival page reminds me of a boring/lackluster SPINNS spread :/

10. Miru says:

I know that this style still evolves and stuff but I really miss REAL gals D: especially from EGG 2005-2007 era, but also from 2007-2010 :c this is not the same anymore….
    most people will probably hate me for that but our gyaru queen Tsubasa Masuwaka isn’t even gyaru anymore. it seems like she’s trying too hard to look like his son’s older sister (-_-);

11. Soukkuma says:

It`s so heartbreaking…w*c was my fave brand…and I hate to see the new designs…they`re just …horrible I can say. -.- No Wakatsuki Chinatsu , no nice clothes.
    Gilfy was so cool back in those days…Now it just looks too simple for me …I mean the first coord I can do it with western clothes as the blouse and the jeans really look alike some I have in my closet…but I can say that I like the shoes :3.
    I`m also really disappointed of the Popteen cover…>..>.

12. chibisou says:

oh my grad!
    gyaru era really seems to be ending soon!!!
    especially knowing natsuki will leave ranzuki, my hear broke into dust….. she is my most favourite model! i have always looked at her since i know her.. : (
    btw, no wonder i felt odd with WC’s new website….

chibisou.blogspot.com

13. Such a shame to see WC go! :’( their last collection was superb, so original… ;-(
    WTF that ulzzang Popteen cover XD

14. yuria says:

Ah nooo :( so sad about gilfy… I used to really love them but the past years I didn’t really find much there tbh but I’m sad to see them go…. :(