Conversation FRIDAY! …is the new Gyaru. Neogal and Otaku-kei

I keep meaning to do conversation Fridays and then Friday rolls around and I get set for my own weekend and la-de-da weekend is over… bad blogger! I’ve also been working on a new gal era post and talk and so many things to say, but for now I thought maybe a then vs. now post with small trends may be a good thing.

neogyaru-trends

I’ve been talking about a lot of these trends except for the last two.

Otaku-kei Gyaru

pikarin-cosplay

Otaku-Gyaru (ヲタク系ギャル) is something press has been titling a few girls mainly from Popteen popular model and singer Hikari Shiina aka Pikarin (椎名ひかり – ぴかりん) and Okawaki Serika aka Serikamacho (奥脇晴梨夏 – せりかまちょ). Although I feel like Egg model Kanako Kawabata with her extreme Spongebob love falls under this category too. Hikari Shiina has a monthly segment in Popteen where she cosplays her favorite characters. Pikarin has really gotten popular lately.

Pikarin’s song “侵略ぴかりん伝説☆” or Shinryaku Pikarin Densetsu☆ with definite Akiba-idol flavor

NeoGal

Screen shot 2013-10-18 at 6.48.38 PM

Hashtag #everything

After PopSister died there was this kind of question whether Shibuhara (previous post) died with it, but in reality Harajuku and Shibuya have never been closer however Shibuhara seems to be a dead term. But in jumps NeoGal ネオギャル as currently coined by Vivi magazine.  Anni aka Missalmightyx blogs about Neo Gal here and I think she touches on lots of good points. Vivi’s webshop has collabed some clothing they consider Neo Gal (here). To add fuel to the fire Runway-Webstore just redesigned (owner of Emoda, Murua, Jouetie, Ungrid, Laguna Moon and more) and they’ve decided to make a section called “NeoGal

Now whether what Fig & Viper and Jouetie do is more NeoGal or what WAS mode-gyaru is now NeoGal… that’s a curious one since magazines and brands are saying differently. I tend to side with Jouetie and Fig & Viper.  :regret:

Do you agree with the above old and new, do you think differently? Comment below! This is made for discussion  :smiley:

Tags: , ,

Filed under:trend watching

30 Responses to “Conversation FRIDAY! …is the new Gyaru. Neogal and Otaku-kei”

1. Anni says:

Ah thank you for posting this here too! I never thought my post on neo gal would get so much attention and afterwards I’ve felt like I should have re-considered how I said some things but.. I mean some people got me a little wrong thinking that I am not stating neo gal to be the one and only true new gyaru which of course is not what I said/meant at all. To me neo gal is just a new term for shibuhara and that’s how I was trying to present it. I also do strongly agree with your ‘old and new’ list.<3

• Mitsu says:

Girl….. YES a 100 times YES. About writing posts I always feel like that. I feel like my point gets lost always or I say something and sound pushy or make it sound like it’s the only thing. It’s not just you :)

• Anni says:

yessss thank you<3 also oopsie I meant to say *now stating neo gal to be the one and only
        ps.I always love your posts and to me you've never sounded too pushy or anything, keep up the great work hun

2. KC says:

i picked up Vivi last month (usually don’t buy it but it came with suspenders! XD ) and saw the spread about NeoGyaru and was wondering if you would talk about it! I was a pretty big fan of shibuhara, so i think neo-gal is pretty cool as well, but it’s definitely too extreme for me!! some elements of it are really cool though. and i think Jouetie definitely fits in that bracket! i always think of that brand as “girly soft punk” lol. and everytime i pass the store in Lumine est, i long for the acid-washed-spiked tiny shorts that will never fit my large gaijin ass… *sigh* cute store!

it’s true Gal fashion is changing, but then if it didn’t, it would probably just die, so i guess it’s a good thing!

• Mitsu says:

Yay for freebies in magazines! Especially those that are not a pouch LOL

Jouetie is really doing some cool things lately, I think they’re a brand that’s staying really strong even past its Shibuhara beginnings. Go AmiAya :)

3. Kei says:

Wouldn’t NeoGal be similar to street/tumblr/instagram fashion over here? I feel like its not anything new (but that’s just me) but must be new to Japanese girls as im sure the days of “typical” gyaru are long gone now.
    Tsubasa hasn’t been in the gal scene much nor has she actively promote shibuhara so i had it coming it would die.. -o-;

• Rinnie says:

I DEFINITELY think it’s closely linked to western Tumblr/Instagram style. Although I don’t think extremely subtle makeup works over here, and I do love the older clothing styles, I’m actually pretty happy with this style as it means it’s a lot easier to shop and dress in casual street clothes while still looking (disputably) gal. :heart:

• Mitsu says:

Alisa Ueno who has is one of the figureheads admits it’s linked, but I think she feels she’s doing something different.

• Mitsu says:

Yes and no. They admit one of the points of neogal is they are very focused overseas.

Always for me the difference between a fad or a label some magazine uses and an actual fashion movement that is a substyle is a) it appears in magazines often and may eventually get its own magazine b) THE BIG ONE it’s got to have its own brands dedicated to it

Soul Japan and Oraora is one of the recent talks about this. It even has its own culture. NeoGal is the new one and has Fig & Viper and Evris which do copy some tumblr and insta fads but they’re also doing their own trends and own styling.

4. Ashley says:

Neogal is more like more western influence. Lot of Brands old and new are looking at America/European my bf, who is huge otaku for Japanese culture said that even Korea style also consider to have western influence too is even having an influence on the Japanese trends a lot lately as well. I think you should watch it if haven’t already the NHK world Kawaii tv Gyaru edition. Plus, I’m kind of curious about your opinion of the program since most gal in America seem to displease with the changes or I might say conservative changes in GAL. Even Japanese men are seeing the change in trends but are not as upset about it. I was kind of fine with otaku culture blending in but now you have Batman, Simpsons, and etc…you wear the influence is coming from. What happen with fashion in japan is what happen here America during the 70s when hip hop was big a lot of Knock off brands and accessories with logos to almost anything that could be branded were being made but it died off very different than how GAL is though but the purpose were the same to look different and stand out.

• Mitsu says:

I did watch it, I’m not usually a big fan of that show but I felt they did a good job. Although they got a little too hung up on one trend. Even though they featured Ank Rouge. I have been meaning to talk about it but since it’s a show aimed at overseas it’s not as poignant as the actual changes happening and some things like Men’s Egg death, expansion of gyaru stores, new gyaru brands concepts, model’s style changes.

I’m a little wary to make that leap in agreement since gyaru has been a fully formed idea for over 15 years while hip hop in 1970s was a baby and was affected by several things happening at the time.

5. Ageha says:

Thank you for that post.
    I thing Gyaru changed a lot through the years. I mean remember the “ganguro” time around 2000. Since then it already changed much. But since there are so many inspirations everywhere they mix all together and something new is coming out.
    I personally dislike that everyone seems to get on with the same styling though. So this is trend I gonna change everything about me to fit it… or something like this.

• Mitsu says:

I think there’s still a lot of options. Ank Rouge looks nothing like Fig & Viper looks nothing like Glavil. It’s just the traditional trend brands like Love Boat, Spiral Girl and LDS etc… and such have all grasped onto Neo Gal so that’s the big trend shift.

6. toto says:

Have you heard that men’s egg will be discontinued soon D: It’s seems that gyaru really is slowly dying…

• Mitsu says:

Yea I’ve been tumbling and tweeting about the whole thing, but Men’s Knuckle, Spider and Soul Japan are still around and strong. Not much brand turnover in Shibuya 109-2 either which is the men’s brands. GyaruO in particular Men’s Egg just didn’t adjust well.

7. Jenn Shimai says:

:marie:Thanx for sharing this, I Think you´re list are correct how the trend moves

8. Mikael says:

I was always wondering if girls like pikarin actually count as gyaru. and actually I’m always wondering if asian gyarus judge western gyaru that like anime/games/etc xD pikarin definitely looks to me like an akiba idol. I really like her though. I think she is cute, and I like both gyaru and idols/akiba xD I’m glad there are girls like her featured in popteen too

• Mitsu says:

I think Pikarin is just another mix blend that we’re seeing now. Like how Alisa Ueno is going with tumblr/insta + gyaru mix. Then Maipipi and a few other popteen models going with a Natural Onee Sweet blend with Lowry’s Farm and Nice Claup and EHyphen mix. Now Pikarin and Seri with Akiba idol and cosplay blend. I always like how Pikarin stands out and she’s well loved for her energetic personality. I think those two things alone are very at the core of gyaru since its inception.

9. Max says:

Ah, I kind of do not like some of the ‘new’ things. I like gyaru for the thick black lashes, ridiculously (awesome) 3d nails and eternal heels. I hope with all my heart that the old flashy style (not old like in 2000’s but y’know) is not dying out and everything will be toned down… (because that’s what I see happening right now). I don’t know what to think about the whole neo-gal thing… I mean, I like it and the girls are all super pretty and stylish, but to what extent do we consider things to be ‘gyaru’? I don’t hope gyaru changes into a ‘harajuku’ style. And I love harajuku too, but I still hope the styles will stay different, because I can clearly see gyaru changing and shifting to everything right now and I’m not sure if I’m ok with it or not…

• Mitsu says:

I think Harajuku style is dying faster than Shibuya. With all the kids buying Spinns which is just a bigbox store OR they’re just straight up wearing overseas brands. Or brands have come in like Nicopanda and they’re jacking sales. Candy Stripper is a brand I think that has been really successful doing its own thing and not lessing foreign influences mess up its concept, but it’s rare and I don’t think it’s as popular. Shibuya isn’t becoming Harajuku if anything Harajuku is becoming lost and Shibuya is taking over and being taken over by overseas.

• Max says:

Ah, it that so? I didn’t know since I don’t really follow Harajuku styling that much, but I see it here and there. If Shibuya style, and therefore probably also gyaru style(?), is taking over, there is the danger of it toning down or becoming less ‘extreme’ (as far as it may be considered extreme) to be a lot more wearable. I hope this doesn’t happen too much :( Interesting article tho, keep em coming! ;3

10. Alyse says:

I’ve been following Fig & Viper since their shop first opened in Osaka, and I always wondered if it was considered a gal brand because it wasn’t seen in too many gal publications at the time, so it’s very interesting to see how it’s evolved into ‘neogal.’ But at the same time, I feel like neogal is VERY similar to street styles often seen on tumblr/instagram (pastel goth comes to mind), and seeing as the article in Vivi said the goal of neogal is ‘to look like a foreigner from behind’ and ‘to get trends from overseas via SNS,’ it’s not so surprising that they’re similar (the two non-Japanese models in Vivi are also quite popular on tumblr/instagram/etc.). Can it be considered a Japanese street style then?? Do you have any thoughts on that? :)

(P.S. that NEOGALS book on Runway Channel looks like a washed out version of what was in Vivi, which seemed much closer to the SNS trends, but then I guess you could call that ‘Japanese style.’)

• Mitsu says:

Hey lady!!

I think it’s kind of odd and interesting the evolution of GYDA and Fig & Viper and both their producers. Originally both I considered on the fringes of gal. And GYDA was originally doing what F&V seems to be doing now. I mean the copied a lot of streetstyle brands. I think F&V seems to be more successful at doing their own style and not too much of UNIF/KTZ/BOYLONDON rip offs.

The whole streetstyle discussion is really interesting and I plan to blog about it more. I think F&V has much more of a case than what I’ve been seeing in Harajuku lately where people just wear straight up KTZ or Boy London or Jeremy Scott. That’s where I think it’s no longer Japanese street style. If anything I worry more for Glad News since they have really do a lot of ripoffs and have had a hard time finding originality and fans in recent seasons. Rock gyaru seems to be losing to this streetstyle Neogal look.

• Alyse says:

Hello!! >3<

That's so true!! Glad News seems to just be fading quietly into the night. I mean, their base was definitely black and skulls, and they kicked ass when studs and ripped jeans were in, but now what you pay for doesn't seem quite worth it, you know? Some dresses that I did kind of like from last year were swinging a bit towards more global street/joyrich/scott styles, which isn't bad, but I just always thought GN would be there since JSG up and left Osaka ;o;

I did like some of the stuff GYDA came out with when military/fur-lined hooded coats were in, but they seem more basic, where F&V has a lot of stand-out pieces. Dem F&V prices tho~

Okay, I'm gonna keep a look out for the streetstyle discussion!! I think it's a really important one to have because a lot of the iconic Japanese street styles like Decora and VK (KERA) seem much rarer these days, or I suppose they've just stayed underground scenes, while things like harajuku-kei have taken over (but I think you can finds elements of harajuku-kei in net street styles too. maybe layering is a particularly Japanese street fashion aesthetic…) and turned quirky into more acceptable and mainstream? All speculation of course and I'm really interested in some other fashion theories :)

11. Hezchan says:

hey Mitsu! a very interesting article as always ^^ Please tell us more about this NeoGal, I dunno y but I saw similarity with Ulzzang looks. Isn’t it?

12. Amari says:

I’m not Gyaru myself but I’ve been watching it for the past couple years and Sweet Gyaru is now an influence on my style, and I like seeing all the other gyaru styles. So I realize this is a SUPER late reply to this post. But I’ve just recently seen the Tumblr post by Alisa Ueno saying that neogal isn’t gyaru and that the media decided to claim that it’s the “New Gyaru”. So now I’m wondering, what is Gyaru now? Is it what popteen shows in it’s magazine now or is it the style of shop staff from the different Gyaru shops you blog about? I’m really curious to know what this style is now and if it’s just blended into other fashions.

• Mitsu says:

I think overseas there is such a quick desire to quantify something with a name. And magazines to some point. Larme magazine has been out for a year and there is no style discussion of what it is really in Japanese. No word like gyaru. Just larme.

She says it’s not gal and has somewhat rejected the Vivi mag comments but still uses neogal to tag all her pics. I’m a little perplexed. She also in the full gyaru makeup that would make Egg magazine tutorial from 2 years ago. So her words of not gal fall flat for me.

I’m also really tired of trying to decide what is gal and not. I’ve said before this blog has stopped only being about gal only. Popteen isn’t the only magazine and I feel like the shop staff I show (like Liz Lisa which is heavily in popteen) it’s evolving to meet changing tastes.

The gyaru scene went too far. The extensions the tanning the bleaching the extreme nails. That shit is tiring to keep up for years abs repetitive. And it met changing tastes in Japan. AKB. The big Kpop boom. Fashion doesn’t live in a bubble.

13. Amari says:

Thanks! That clears things up for me. I think the change is good for those who want to have a cute style and stand out a little but not do all that crazy tanning and bleaching. I know there are other magazines but Popteen is the first one that came to mind. I’m glad you show other styles in your blog. I really love the Fint brand’s style. Gyaru doesn’t completely appeal to me because I like to look natural (nothing wrong with others who like dramatic hair and makeup though); but I love the clothes gyaru wear. I’ll check out Larme. Thanks again