Doll Eats! Okinawan Food – From Pigs Ear to Brown Sugar

Another series from Doll Eats, but this one is really jam-packed. Okinawan Food is vastly different from main Japanese cuisine so I was super happy I got to try it out and eat to my hearts content. :lovecat:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Okinawan style dessert. Okinawan crepes called “Chinbin” made with a combo of wheat and mochi flour. Paired with Okinawan’s own Blue Seal Ice Cream. The two flavors are purple sweet potato (beni-imo) and Okinawan sweet potato. I use a combo of tapioca flour and whole wheat to make these at home. But not right now, sugar ban cries forever

okinawan food

My hotel offered an Okinawan food plate. Try all the specialties at once? Hell yes! From top right clockwise: rafute (Okinawan glazed pork), mimiga, tofuyo, umi-budo, pork fat, and sweet potato.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Umi-budo or Sea Grapes. It’s a type of seaweed usually served with ponzu sauce. Quite delicious!

okinawan cuisine

Tofuyo is a fermented and aged tofu that is really strong. It’s made to be served like a tiny bite like above. On top are sukugarasu a popular Okinawan fish.

okinawan pigs ear

Mimi-ga is boiled thinly cut pigs ear. Pork is king in Okinawa. It was actually quite good.

An Ode to Goya

okinawanfood-goya-raw

Goya aka Bitter Melon is a seriously ugly looking fruit. It looks like a cucumber broke out in acne. It’s ugly, it’s incredibly bitter, but somehow it’s the tastiest food. Opinions differ. I think Goya is almost the Natto of Okinawa. Native Okinawans usually praise it while they’re shocked foreigners even like it. But it’s sooooo good  :sadcat:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Instead of it being so ugly instead think of it as “Goya-chan” the cute stuffed mascot I found at Bios on the Hill.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Goya’s most famous dish is Goya Champuru/Chample. Chample means stir fry in Okinawan. It’s a combo of goya, tofu, eggs and pork (or spam). The soft flavors really set off the bitter melon taste.

okinawanfood-goyajuice

You can have Goya so many ways! Like Goya juice. This along with many vinegar drinks are popular in Okinawa.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Or vinegared goya and pork bites.

okinawanfood-goya-yakisoba

Okinawan style yakisoba that I got to make myself. With beloved goya.

It’s a hard to like taste, but once you eat it you want more and miss it. Chinese goya isn’t the same.  :regret:

okinawanfood-hibiscustea-kamimaya-kokujo-brownsugar

Hibiscus Tea and Okinawan Kokuto or brown sugar. It’s a very unprocessed brown sugar and can be used as a sweetener or eaten as a candy. Quite delicious!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Taco Rice is actually truly an Okinawan food. I make it at home a lot. Often comes with a fried or soft-boiled egg on top. I add avocado and sometimes crumbled Doritos on top (my favorite Okinawan restaurant in Tokyo does this). It’s a big hit with guests in my house! Crumbled seitan works best if you’d like to make it vegan. If you’d like to use cheese a sharp cheddar works best.

I’ve got another Okinawa food post coming, but it’s in combo with other things. Oh what am I kidding it’s me eating. I’m seriously amazed the waves didn’t carry me out to sea like the overfed manatee I became.

Share:

1. October 21, 2013 / 1:17 pm

Oh my I thought ‘what a funky weird look fish eggs’ this sea grape
    look but its actually a vegetable! The food overall looks GREAT!
    Xx :heartguy:

October 22, 2013 / 9:03 am

They were tasty! Oddly enough, it didn’t look delicious but…. :)

October 22, 2013 / 9:03 am

EAT ALL THE THINGS :) Editing it I felt the same thing :)

October 22, 2013 / 9:03 am

Me, too! I’m ready to eat goya again :)

• October 23, 2013 / 4:40 pm

I was inspired and made Taco Rice last night!! :D The boyfriend approves! hehe!

October 24, 2013 / 11:59 am

LOLOL My man requests it once a week and I often give in! It’s so easy to make healthy or…. not so healthy :)

2. October 22, 2013 / 1:30 pm

the food looks so delicous*-* haha Goya-chan is so cute. I want it XD

October 22, 2013 / 9:47 pm

I was kind of tempted by Goya-chan but instead I bought goya soap and goya salt…. my addiction is wrong :)

3. October 23, 2013 / 6:26 am

really?? you must be one of the only person i know who likes Goya! even when i ask my students in listening tests “what food don’t you like?” they say goya 99% of the time. lol. but good for you, i guess ;) I didn’t know beni-imo ice cream was an okinawan thing! they have a haagendaaz version at the combini now, and it’s freakin heavenly!!

October 23, 2013 / 10:07 am

Blue Seal makes a ton of cool Okinawan flavors. If you’re ever in Ikebukuro they have one at the entrance to Sunshine City below Tokyu Hands. It’s delish!

Goya is the bomb. I may hate cilantro (don’t have the gene for it apparently #science) but goya is the most delicious. I bought all this goya flavored stuff, even soap. Maybe I’ve got some weird gene that loves it :)

• October 26, 2013 / 5:54 am

haha, well it’s always better to love stuff even if everyone else hates it!

yeah, i’ve heard of that ice cream place! I never go to Ikebukuro though >_< I should make the effort!!

October 26, 2013 / 10:39 am

Ikebukuro is really a good fun place to hang out outside of Shibuya and Shinjuku :) The shop staff are nice, there’s fun game centers and good food. I used to live there so I’m a bit biased :)