Tottori Sand Dunes – Tottori Sakyuu 鳥取砂丘

tottori-sakyu-sand-dunes-hike-outfit

Hello, from this picture I am still in Japan… and I’m not really on the beach.

(Cat socks tutuanna, skirt Secret Magic, cardigan eHyphen Bon Bon, shoes Liz Lisa)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Instead I spent the day walking up and down Tottori Sand Dunes ( Tottori Sakyuu 鳥取砂丘) in Tottori!

I could’ve taken a donkey down the dunes (his home is above).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Hiking up these dunes is no joke. I like to workout and it was definitely a workout.

To explain this I did the big tall sanddune with kids and their mama.

Kids with the endless energy went bounding up, while their Mama was at first: Wait for me…! /then/ You go right ahead, Mama will catch up. /then/ Heavy breathing /then/ Heavy wheezing /then/ Mama will stay right here (in the middle of the dune) you kids go up if you want.  :rushed:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The wind hitting the dunes on one side makes them instantly smoother and the water was gorgeous.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The steps I made, and then turning around the wind almost made them disappear instantly.

tottori-sand-dunes-camel-sakyuu

Still in Japan.  :dotbow:

Mitsu eats local food in Japan

tottori-sand-dunes-pear-icecream

Totttori is known for their pears, but since it was out of season I got pear ice cream instead.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And they’re known for their style of chikuwa (竹輪 /ちくわ wiki).  Which is kind of a fish and tofu mix ….tube. It sounds bad it’s actually quite flavorful and good! I got their crab special since Tottori is also known for crab.

How much did my day cost? There’s a fallacy that tourism in Japan is expensive. And yes flight/train pass/hotel that whole thing is of course going to cost. But my Tottori experience was cheap! It took 2,000 yen extra on the train pass because there’s a part from Osaka to Tottori that’s not covered. But Tottori Sand Dunes are free. My bus to get to the dunes the Loop bus from the main station was 200 yen. My crab chikuwa was 280 and my ice cream was 200 yen.  Total cost was 680 yen ($7 USD) to eat local food and see something amazing. I also walked from the train station to the cherry blossoms, so those were free. My day including meals cost $47 and it was a great day!

1. November 30, 2013 / 5:05 pm

love this kind of post! it’s nice seeing what food this area is famous for too ^^

December 1, 2013 / 1:53 am

So many famous foods in Japan, I wish I was there to try their actual pears :)

2. December 1, 2013 / 4:47 am

Sounds like so much fun! I love how you incorporated the food into your post to, sense food is rather important X3
    The dunes where beautiful! And the food looked yummy!
    Very good post, I enjoyed reading!

3. December 1, 2013 / 6:53 am

That skirt is so cute! :hearts3:

I’ve only been to Japan for 2 weeks so far, and of course there are some things which are expensive, but I keep telling everyone that overall it is really cheap! The food, especially. :)

December 6, 2013 / 2:34 pm

Thank you! A bunch of brands have copied it for winter as well (Liz Lisa one of them and made a 3-d floral coat), so I think it was a mega hit. Absolutely!! It’s easy to be expensive and it’s easy to be cheap in Japan. :) You can make it what you want!

4. December 1, 2013 / 11:36 am

Tottori is amazing. From the pictures, it does not look like you were in Japan at all. ^^

December 6, 2013 / 2:32 pm

It was definitely surreal, but super fun :)

5. December 1, 2013 / 11:41 am

This sounds like a fun day trip! I want to check it out when I head to Japan next summer, and that pear ice cream looks really good~ But I’d like to try the actual pears too, do you know when they are in season?

Thanks for sharing!

December 6, 2013 / 2:32 pm

Apparently it’s late summer, like August. Crap! The month I definitely don’t recommend visiting Japan in. August is soooo humid and dreadful.

6. December 2, 2013 / 10:06 am

Ahhh, I wanted to go to the dunes this year!! The view is fantastic! ^o^) Was it cold in Tottori?? In my head, even though it’s further south, I feel like the weather is just as chilly ;o;

December 6, 2013 / 2:30 pm

You need to go! Definitely doable as a day trip from Osaka!! I was there in March (sakura season) and it was chilly, but I was okay in just a cardigan. I think breezy so it definitely depends on time of year :)

7. December 3, 2013 / 11:07 am

Wow, everything looks amazing, especially the sand dunes :)

December 6, 2013 / 2:29 pm

They were really fun to see and climb on :)