Beyond Freesize: Plumprimo x LaFarfa Yumetenbo Plus Size line

plumprimo5

Plumprimo is a new plus size brand in collaboration with plus-size magazine LaFarfa by gyaru mega webstore Yumetenbo.

Japan especially women’s fashion, for the longest time had this “freesize” or “onesize” mentality about clothing. Either items come in Small and Medium (XS – S in western sizing) or “onesize”. Onesize is completely non-representational of how Japanese women actually look. Slowly there’s a lot more sizing and choices for the size XXS to the size 6L girl. This season not one, but two brands are out for plus sized girls! I’m going to talk about both of them, and a brand made for petite girls as well. Because onesize doesn’t fit all.

Marshmallow? Try Pocchari

Plus-size term in Japan is usually pocchari (ぽっちゃり) meaning chubby or plump not the marshmallow term that’s jumping around the overseas media.  Or simply ぽっちゃ子 pocchako or chubby girl. ぽっちゃカワ is a term La Farfa has been using to describe chubby cute. La Farfa holds “ぽちゃティブ祭り” Pocha-tive Matsuri as a way for fans to enjoy themselves with the models. I love the play on words Pocha-tive. So…positive. :smiley:

LaFarfa magazine:

Plumprimo  (プランプリモ) is a collaboration with LaFarfa magazine (ラ・ファーファ) A magazine solely for plus-sized Japanese women fronted by icon Naomi Watanabe who is producing the other plus-sized brand coming out, PUNYUS.

LaFarfa is neither solely gal nor anything else, it’s a mix for all young plus-sized girls. It’s on its fifth issue, but its first came out last March. So it’s not exactly bimonthly. Personally, I’ve found it hard to find in big magazine stores (I looked!).

One of the best ways to check out LaFarfa is their youtube channel

Their introductory video

lafarfa2

lafarfar05

Some LaFarfa spreads. The bottom on is from their newest issue which came out this month from the adult brand As Know As using their L-size items.

All their blogs are on the LaFarfa site: http://blogri.jp/farfaofficial/
Some models instagrams: Ruby http://instagram.com/ruby1234 and Ui Ando http://instagram.com/andoui513

Plumprimo

Plumprimo details:

stores: 0 – web only
website: http://www.dreamvs.jp/pc/index_ppm.html?ebis_ac=link
overseas store: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/dreamv/
parent brand: Yumetenbo
sizes: 3L to 6L
theme: Official theme is: “ぷにモテ甘辛トレンドSTYLE” Po ni mote amakara trend style. Po from pocchari of course. Meaning to have an attractive spicy sweet trend style for chubby girls. Cute, sexy, and beautiful looks. A broad variety of trendy fashion.

Plumprimo’s initial brand offering is seven items to buy: three dresses, one jacket, one pair of shorts, a loose t-shirt and a top and pagging set. However, judging by their their teaser shot (above) there is more clothing coming up!

plumprimo-outfit1 plumprimo-outfit3 plumprimo-outfit4plumprimo-outfit2 plumprimo-outfit6 plumprimo-outfit5 plumprimo-outfit7

Yumetenbo x LaFarfa definitely went gyaru with Plumprimo. Onee, kurogyaru, agejo, and sweet style mix all represented.

:stepup: Pros: A big pro for this brand is Yumetenbo is selling the same items in S-LL sizes (sleeveless dresss here)! Admittedly a bit less selection, but it’s not a design choice where chubbier means less stylish or requirements on how they should dress. Happy for that plus-positive side!

:sage: Cons: A small complaint is the three dresses above their waists are only available as 3L or 4L. That’s not exactly the 3L-6L the brand promises.

Japanese sizing is usually one or two down from Western sizing so 3L-6L is XL/2L-3L/4Lish Western. All items are available for pre-order shipping out mostly at the end of this month.

Plumprimo is available on the Global Rakuten site of Yumetenbo (Dreamvs) http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/dreamv/ so no Tenso required.

Again, purchasing power shows how much these brands will last. MA*RS did a plus size line 3 years back and it couldn’t last. So if you like it, buy it!

1. March 21, 2014 / 4:30 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I am very pleased that Japan is starting to see that ‘Onesize’ doesn’t fit everyone and that curvy girls deserve beautiful cute clothing as well. I love the chiffon shorts offered by Plumprimo. Seeing as they are offered in a 6L, I might just get a pair ^_^

March 26, 2014 / 7:40 pm

I’m just tired of seeing jeans yanno those things that don’t really stretch and they’re onesize. LIKE….what!? Those will only fit like 10% of people looking at them, so silly!

2. March 21, 2014 / 6:10 pm

I like that the clothes are basically larger versions of what’s already on the market….a lot of complaints I see from western ladies is that western brands’ plus-size stuff is ugly. There is one plus size store in Kobe with cute clothing, so maybe it’s just a western problem.

I haven’t seen LaFarfa available anywhere, which is awful. I think I’ll buy a copy on amazon…

March 26, 2014 / 7:41 pm

Definitely! I think US has a definite US THEM mentality so I’m amazed and pleased that Japan isn’t taking the same route :)
      So hard to find! My friend found in a small bookstore, but said he hasn’t been able to find lately.

3. March 21, 2014 / 8:50 pm

i was looking forward to this! last time i was on the yumetembo website i saw the ad for it but it wasn’t out yet… and i’ll be looking out for that magazine too!!! it’s kinda depressing but if i want to buy japanese clothes, i do have to buy them “plus size”, even though i’m like a size 10-12, normally… i wear size L or XL from shops like H&M and F21, but in Japan, i gotta order 4L. and also, the different stores’ ways of categorizing the L sizes varies greatly. like, really plus-sized stores (like JungleJalopy on Rakuten) tend to have their things a lot bigger than gyaru stores… i remember i bought these jeans on GALSTAR one time that were supposed to be 3L, and i was never able to fit in them at all, they were like a size 6 or something… but i’ve bought 2L things from the first website that were totally fine. the normal Yumetembo stuff, i’ve gotten some 3L items that didn’t fit at all (depressing) but most 4L things fit fine, except anything that had to fit with the boobs…

well anyways, i DO think it’s good to see this kinda thing happening more. i just wish that, instead of a one-time-thing, it was all the stores that decided to just offer bigger sizes! and get rid of this ridiculous 2,3,4,5.6L mentality and just give clothes sizes numbers like in the west. /endrant

March 26, 2014 / 7:38 pm

Well Japan like every other country is getting larger and it’s about time there were more options for the larger women and more positivity. Instead of the usual shaming ex-AKB48 girls for gaining weight. URGH

The 2-6L does seem weird. But it kind of reminds me of 10,000 = $100 yanno… too many zeros put it’s still kept that way :)

• March 27, 2014 / 3:49 am

haha, that’s true!

I bought the magazine btw! it’s really interesting cuz they have a lot of body types in there! unfortunately, nearly all of the cutest fashions come from Forever 21, so it’s not really telling me anything new, eheh… still, i wouldn’t have known about the magazine if you hadn’t mentioned it! so thanks! ^_-

4. mikachan
    March 22, 2014 / 1:02 am

omg yes! so happy to see this! let’s hope that this will do great and we can continue this!

March 26, 2014 / 7:36 pm

Absolutely agree :):)

5. March 22, 2014 / 12:57 pm

Wowie! This sounds like a great brand ^_^
    Never heard of it before and I sure love that
    they sell plus size stuff! Xx

March 26, 2014 / 7:36 pm

And more coming soon :)

6. March 25, 2014 / 1:20 am

Plumprimo is truly a lovely thing! But regarding the whole marshmallow vs. ぽっちゃ子issue, I don’t think marshmallow girl was a solidified term but it definitely didn’t start in the West. I think they wanted an even cuter word or more cute words outside of ぽっちゃ子for someone to describe a chubby girl as. This was circa 2013 though! Afterwards, the word started getting a lot of criticism :/ people compared the girls to pokemon among other things and not in a pleasant way. So, I think currently they’re trying to push a new term. Twitter:
    “ぽちゃカワ♡マシュマロ元帥Vs.おしゃカワ♡テディさん ((c)ラ・ファーファ)”
    It’s not that the terms will replace ぽっちゃ子, it’s just them trying to find more positive terms, which ultimately, isn’t bad. My only issue is, it’s constantly changing far too often…I don’t know what to tag stuff as ^^ ; カワ♡テディさん was in I believe the issue they released February? I don’t know if it’ll stick or there will be criticism of it. Pochako is the safe term. Marshmallow is the term known in the West. カワ♡テディさん is the most recent on Japanese online media. So, we’ll have to just wait and see if either of them sticks… I think an article I read stated these terms have spread across online media more than amongst individuals so I can see how the general term is the one used the most! :D
    La farfa definitely caters to a bunch of individuals with a variety of taste, but I wouldn’t expect them to be so niche, being one of the only plus size magazines in Japan, that would hurt their potential to make money D: ! So yeah, thank you for the post, it was great :)

March 26, 2014 / 7:35 pm

Ahhh I meant western media more like how rocketnews came out with this story http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/12/19/dont-call-them-fat-call-them-marshmallow-girls/ and buzzfeed ran with it http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/japan-has-formed-a-plus-sized-girl-group-and-theyre-calling and it’s just sensationalist.

I don’t know if people think Pocchako is offensive as much as it may be thought of overseas. I think the concept of weight is very different. I also think Marshmallow used once or twice in a magazine doesn’t change the terminology. They’re trying to say plus-sized or chubby or whatever without saying Po Po Po everything. Also the girls in that magazine spread https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhNEHRaCYAAAlOh.jpg:large are larger than the usual LaFarfa model group so I wondering if they’re trying to say Pocchako then Teddy as a way of differentiating sizes?

• Namyi
        March 28, 2014 / 10:09 pm

The term pocchako seems to not be used in an offensive manner for most in Japan,so I think it is more often used as a general colloquialism to describe bigger girls. I don’t think it changes the terminology either, it seems more like them wanting to make more positive colloquialisms available but it doesn’t seem to have stuck. Its been a year since the marshmallow girl issue. The tag is still active on twitter , but not with much positivity. I considered that as well, whether they were trying to use it as a term for bigger girls but i doubt it will stick as well. Seems like a shame.

7. Phee
    March 26, 2014 / 1:02 am

I am not a plus size lady but still having troubles with japanese onesize clothing. Especially the standards for bottom items are way too small for westerners since we are also taller in average. It would be interesting to know if there are any brands for taller girls as well. Might be the next step for japanese brands to open up for the international market.

March 26, 2014 / 7:25 pm

I agree! At 5’7″ and someone who works out my calves don’t fit into pants right that are only fitted on the calf because I’m taller so it wants to fit much higher on my leg. So weird. I don’t know about height. There are tall shop staff and I think they’re forced with capri life :)

March 26, 2014 / 7:24 pm

I also suffer from being busty. Although it’s weird. I just wish there was more bust friendly one pieces that fit smaller the rest of the way. I’ve got an odd body which is why I’m so happy brands are doing this beyond freesize.

8. March 27, 2014 / 2:33 am

I think it’s lovely that there are more sizes available. Everyone should be able to dress up and find clothes that fit, regardless of size. ^^

9. hime bara
    March 28, 2014 / 7:29 am

This makes me happy to see they are finally making more plus-size available stuff in Japan since most stuff is so darn small. Next step they need to do in Japan is make bigger sized shoes more available! The only store I could find that had shoes I can fit in is Shimamura with their very limited boring selection of “big size shoes”, I notice the selection for the regular normal S, M, and L shoes have a bunch of cute shoes but their big size shoe section is very monochrome and mostly ugly shoes :( Seriously they need to start making bigger sized shoes that are actually cute and more available in Japan!

10. March 28, 2014 / 2:11 pm

Woah, that’s so nice idea to make a plus-size line! Everybody should anjoy the fashion! Japanese one size is a problem, for me too. I have rather large bust (but slim waist), so often there’s a problem to buy something from Japan, that will fit my bust. More variety of sizes is a good thing!

11. April 2, 2014 / 10:49 pm

Wow – these are some great pieces that are so easy to mix and match. I will be ordering a few pieces next week, and I will send you some pics of the actual items. These are much more affordable (since its DreamV) than the MARS collection, so I’m hoping this won’t die! But it looks like bigger sizing will hopefully become more natural for companies to offer.

April 3, 2014 / 2:04 pm

Definitely more affordable! Glad Yumetenbo and the brand I talked about today Smileland are doing affordable plus-size fashion!

12. Helena
    June 26, 2014 / 9:35 am

I just wanted to say I love your blog–and I deeply appreciate how sincerely and genuinely…sweet you are? Like, I love that you always seem so positive and complimentary toward the girls you photograph, and make an effort to post about larger size brands. I never thought that gyaru was for me because I was too heavy/didn’t fit so I just kind of appreciated from afar but I’m definitely rethinking that now. Thank you! :)

June 30, 2014 / 8:14 am

Thank you for saying so! To me fashion has no size or number, and I’m glad often Japanese brands (even though having to deal with a less number of larger people) are opening their eyes to size and doing it so positively. Or should I say Pocchatively? :)

13. Yeah but
    September 20, 2014 / 8:08 pm

All these girls where a Spanx…They suddenly have a flat stomach.
    But thanks for this.

September 21, 2014 / 9:02 am

That doesn’t seem nice or helpful >_<

14. amano
    September 23, 2014 / 5:16 pm

So (stupid question, I know, but I’d still like to make sure)… Do you know if the http://www.dreamvs.jp/ site ships to the US? 8)

15. Elaine
    July 21, 2015 / 12:51 am

So cute, but still too small for me… Doubt I’d even fit into them if I lost weight though, darn my big german bones!