Beyond Onesize: Naomi Watanabe’s PUNYUS by WEGO

Just like Plumprimo by Yumetenbo x LaFarfa, PUNYUS by WEGO is another brand bringing plus size (and all size) to the masses. It’s produced by plus size icon and LaFarfa head Naomi Watanabe, who was born to be a star.

punyus-design

PUNYUS producer Naomi Watanabe (center) surrounded by all size PUNYUS style

Who’s Naomi Watanabe?: She started out as a talent dancing to Beyonce’s on TV and got the nickname the Japanese Beyonce (video of her getting down). Oh talent on TV, it takes so little. But from those humble beginnings Naomi Watanabe pushed even further. She appeared in a ton of variety shows because of her quick wit and actual humor.

She starred in her self-named TV series Naomi’s Closet (ナオミクローゼット) (http://www.bs4.jp/naomi/) last year all about fashion. See how she’s funny here (full episode on body massage here).

naomi-ena
naomi-momoko

Naomi Watanabe interviewed Emoda producer Ena Matsumoto, Murua producer Momoko Ogihara, Fig & Viper producer Alisa Ueno and Ank Rouge creative director Okarie Matsuoka.

Naomi has also been the face of 109 as well as being the main face of plus-size Japanese magazine LaFarfa.

Here she is as the face of Shibuya 109 for their 7Days Bargain this January.
naomiwatanabe-shibuya109 Yup! A plus-sized woman was the face of Shibuya 109!

Video of her showing off her cool attitude for the making of the Shibuya 109 ad.

So it’s a big thing that she’s partnered with megastore WEGO for a PUNYUS brand.

PUNYUS details:

katakana: プニュズ
website: http://punyus.jp/
by: Collaboration with Harajuku mega-brand WEGO. Who helped launch W♥C
producer: Naomi Watanabe (渡辺直美) (blog: http://watanabenaomi.laff.jp/ instagram: http://instagram.com/watanabenaomi703)
concept is: 60s, 90s era items with hip hop influence and harajuku street mentality

PUNYUS is not open yet but will open in SHIBUYA 109

punyusdebut

YUP plus-sized clothes in Shibuya 109.

PUNYUS is not just for plus-size! It’s actually an ALL size brand that focuses on low-priced items with cool prints. PUNYUS offers sizes in Free to 6L. Representation? Yup!

PUNYUS for Spring 2014

PUNYUS had an exhibition and their upcoming collection looks pretty cool!

punyus-egg punyus-style2 punyus-style

all of these are from Tokyo Front Line, these are just a sample. They did an excellent job taking pictures of the exhibition. Check them all out at their website.

punyus-lafarfa

And the LaFarfa models showing off their cool individual PUNYUS style.

I hope you can tell I’m so excited for this brand. Original prints, original look, all size friendly, fronted by such a cool producer in Naomi Watanabe, and in Shibuya 109 representing all girls small to big. It’s like a revolution all in one store. I hope this store does well, but with WEGO backing it, it’s got hope!

And you know what this means? All size shop staff. Hurray for all size “pocca-tive”

1. naminecchi
    March 26, 2014 / 5:37 pm

MAN, I wish they had this when I visited, that is so amazing! C: I weren’t able to really buy clothing during my stay, being quite big myself… this would’ve helped quite a bit

March 26, 2014 / 7:22 pm

I’m really excited for more plus representation! I’m not plus-sized but I’ve been annoyed that Japanese fashion thinks there’s like all girls with the same b-w-hip sizes and I think that’s madness!

2. Immy
    March 26, 2014 / 5:55 pm

Oh man these prints are so cute.

March 26, 2014 / 7:21 pm

Yea! And different from what other 109 brands are doing :)

• March 30, 2014 / 1:14 pm

Yeah! I love the fried egg print… yum :P

April 3, 2014 / 2:18 pm

I love eggs, I will happily wear it too :)

3. March 26, 2014 / 6:19 pm

Why does this have to open just AFTER my vacation??? NOOOO

March 26, 2014 / 7:20 pm

It’s going to happen while I’m there so I’m mega excited :)

4. March 26, 2014 / 6:45 pm

I’m looking forward to this!!! honestly, the prints are a bit weird and not my thing at all, but i’m sure there will be some cool, wearable items too!!

PS: the link to the massage show is wrong. it links to the 109bargain sale youtube video…

March 26, 2014 / 7:20 pm

I really like the egg print, lol to each their own. I am egg mad tho’, I love eggs XD

Fixed thanks for letting me know!

• March 27, 2014 / 3:13 am

haha, yeah, i thought you would… it reminds me of that Simpsons print you liked a while back… I can’t wait to see when it actually opens!!

5. mikachan
    March 26, 2014 / 7:57 pm

Omg omg omg she is SOOO fab!! I love her attitude and everything! I really am hoping that it does well!

6. March 26, 2014 / 9:50 pm

First off — thanks for being all over this, it’s so great to see, and I know we can always trust you to deliver it in style for us~ c:

I just LOVE the energy she exudes from each and every one of these photos! AND THAT FRIED EGG PRINT? I LOVE it!! ♥

7. March 26, 2014 / 11:53 pm

Naomi looks fabulous! I wish I was still in Japan so that I could buy those egg prints *_*

8. March 27, 2014 / 3:40 am

I love that there’s more and more plussize fashion in Japan! The style of this brand looks really cute & funky, I like it. It’s hard even finding plussize models in Western countries representing a brand or whatever, so this is a big step.

9. March 27, 2014 / 7:47 am

I don’t care for the funky print but I’m SUPER HAPPY and EXCITED about the “all size” mentally this store has. This should have been done and happened a LONG time ago!! YAAAYYY!! Now really need to go back to Japan for the 3rd time.

10. Lea
    March 28, 2014 / 6:12 pm

OMG that is awesome! I’m going to Tokyo in 2 weeks and have been worrying about clothes sizes! Yay! ~

11. March 31, 2014 / 7:47 pm

woah, that fried egg print is pretty rad! I’ll have to add this to my “to do” list.

April 3, 2014 / 2:18 pm

Me, too! Excited to see it in person :)

12. April 2, 2014 / 12:49 pm

Woah, that’s so nice, that it’s all size! I really don’t like this one-size thing :C

April 3, 2014 / 2:05 pm

Me either! It’s just not true but they tried to make it work for so long D:

13. April 2, 2014 / 9:37 pm

OMG Let me just say that I would wear the shit out of some of those cute clothes! And all sizes? Girl, I’m in heaven. Mitsu, thanks for sharing this, like thanks so much. :D

April 3, 2014 / 2:04 pm

Aren’t they so cute! You’d look amazing in these. We can twin sometime :D

14. April 6, 2014 / 10:59 pm

I can’t believe this is happening, something I have been longing for, has finally been created FIRST in Asia. All the other plus size companies are promoting plus size and not the same concept as this!!! This is the true meaning of #bodydiversity <3

15. April 18, 2014 / 4:46 pm

Ahh, this is so amazing! I hope they will translate their webpage to english at some time, and possibly ship to other countries or something, because I am absolutely in love!! Everything is perfect about this, it’s _ALL SIZE_ which makes me over the top happy, great clothes and the price is also reasonable!

16. April 30, 2014 / 8:40 pm

This provides a rational link the lookup engine’s servers to process and document. There are 1000’s of how-to videos and articles on how to succeed in these areas. Keep it under 24 words and do not repeat words. https://twitter.com/SumitSEOJax

17. Lauren
    April 30, 2014 / 10:37 pm

I’m coming to Japan in June, do you think the clothing line will still be available ? I really hope it is. Are there any other shops I should visit that have plus size clothing?

18. January 28, 2017 / 11:30 pm

I’m so happy to see a size inclusive brand coming to Harajuku. I am a plus sized woman and everytime I’ve visited Harajuku thus far I’ve only been able to find 1 or 2 items in a few stores that just barely fit. I’ve yet to find a single pair of pants that can handle my trunk junk.

February 5, 2017 / 2:02 pm

There’s a lot more options now! But it’s really slow coming. The plus size will grow, I think there’s a lot more plus size people in JP now so they have to meet demand :)