Beyond Freesize: Petite Michell Macaron and Plus-size Smileland

Michell Macaron

Popular Ageha permanent model or senzoku, Satomin (Satomi Yukawa) has designed web-based clothing line called Michell Macaron for smaller girls in Japan. Beyond Freesize brands have shown that women in Japan are not just all “onesize” or small and medium. Instead women want to be fashionable at all sizes!

Michell Macaron (ミシェルマカロン) targets XS and S sized girls in Japan (XXS and XS in US). The style is onee sweet casual. For now it’s only an on-line store.

Michell Macaron details:
katakana: ミシェルマカロン
style: petite onee sweet
website: http://michellmacaron.jp/
stores: 0 (online only)
sizes: XS-S
designer: Satomin http://blog.crooz.jp/satomiik/

Michell Macaron for Spring 2014

michell michell2 michell3 michell4 michell5

Lots of cute adult pieces for the petite adult girl who still wants to look a bit cute.

Nissen’s Smileland

Smileland (スマイルランド) opened in Shibuya Parco (渋谷パルコ) this March. Smileland is the large size arm of popular mega webstore Nissen offering sizes LL to 10L. Unlike brick-and-mortar stores going digital, Nissen is taking their digital presence and planning to open 30 stores across Japan in the next 4 years. Not all of the stores will be Smileland, but the large-size presence is definitely picking up.

Nissen Japanese website: http://www.nissen.co.jp/
Nissen also has an English-language global website: here where you can directly buy items including Smileland pieces.

Nissen is kind of like a Japanese Target online. Lots of home and clothing goods. Sadly they’re not selling their cutesy furniture outside Japan.

Rose Fan Fan’s capsule collection for Smileland

Smileland is not a gyaru store, although they have a line gyaru and former Shibuya 109 brand “Rose Fan Fan” to sell exclusively on Nissen and now in Smileland brick stores.

rosefanfan rosefanfan2 rosefanfan5 rosefanfan6 rosefanfan3 rosefanfan4

All items available in LL to 10L. No restrictions.

For those beyond the 6L size, the 6L to 10L may bring hope for more stylish options in Japan. Or for those 2L on, you’re getting another place to be stylish in Japan.

Smileland also has shoes size JP23 – 27 (JP link). A 27 is a 10 1/2 in US sizing! Some pretty cute options, too! They even have a tall size store on their website for those 5’8″ and over looking for pants especially.

The market is growing!

Stores are realizing the S-M or Onesize/Freesize do not actually fit Japanese women. Big companies like WEGO with PUNYUS, Nissen with Smileland or  Yumetenbo with Plumprimo are not offering these clothes or investing these large amounts of money to start brands or open stores without market research and planning! Japan is getting larger  like the rest of the world and Japanese women even now come in all shapes from petite to tall to pocchari and I for one am glad these businesses realize this and are allowing all women to be stylish.

1. April 3, 2014 / 3:09 pm

Aw Satomin’s brand is so cute! i love that skirt (or is it a dress?) with the white and the different shades of pink :D maybe I can find a similar item somewhere~

It really makes me happy to see all the attention for bigger size girls and bigger sized clothes in gyaru/Japanese fashion but I mainly encountered it through the internet and western gal-scene so far (that has always been more plus-size-inclusive), I hope this will reach the Japanese public more…
    It looks like such a meaningless thing but actually having more sizes gives people the feeling it’s ok to be who they are, bigger girls and petite girls alike~ I used to complain about sizing in H&M being inaccurate but I’ve learned to appreciate them now u_u

I had surprisingly many friends in Japan that were too small for certain brands. Sometimes they would say “but everything is so big!” which was a bit of a kick in the confidence because it’s like that for them, even though nothing in the store would even go over my thighs/bust~
    Japan~!! Please make stores with many sizes, so I can shop with my friends without anyone feeling left out!!!

April 4, 2014 / 10:26 am

It’s a dress, I love it, too! If it was a skirt I would’ve tried out the small :)
      I feel like the more outside of Tokyo I get the more I see larger Japanese not just in the terms of fat vs thin but stocky or muscley or such. I can see why big on-line brands like Nissen and Yumetenbo have turned to plus size since people from smaller towns can now order and globalization I think has made people want to be more fashionable in smaller towns. Also I think there’s a saturation in Tokyo and Osaka and bigger cities for style options, but that saturation point hasn’t been reached yet in smaller towns.

Wondering though how Smileland and PUNYUS will do in Tokyo and beyond.

I agree! I see skinny jeans look like regular jeans on some girls. I’m amazed there’s not more petite brands or just more range. I do wish more things were bust friendly. I’m such an apple shape and blouses can be tragic on me D:

2. mikachan
    April 3, 2014 / 4:43 pm

I love Satomin! And great for more opportunities for more body shapes, big or small! :)

April 4, 2014 / 10:27 am

She’s such a cutey! And so young to be doing so much! :)

3. April 3, 2014 / 9:38 pm

Very awesome! I looked through the webstore and found a few gyaru items (the pics make it really obvious yay) that are super cute. The pink ROSE hoodie – It looks so comfy and stylish! :D

April 4, 2014 / 10:27 am

I love the hot pink! I feel like gyaru brands have moved away from hot pink and it makes me sad. More boldness from gal brands :)

4. michelle
    April 4, 2014 / 1:22 am

Hi! i was hoping you’d be able to answer my question.

I’ve noticed that japanese shoes come in S M L sizes which is pretty weird to me ;/ do you know how japanese girls are able to walk in shoes that are too big for them? because even in the picture the shoes seem too big for the model and i can only imagine how difficult it must be to walk!
    Yet they make it seem so effortless and easy. It really makes me wonder why the clothes in japan don’t really have a wide range of sizes/come in one size only and why they dont have the european/american type of sizing for their shoes!
    I wonder if you have any explanation regarding the one size mentality in japan :))

April 4, 2014 / 10:17 am

Shoe size and walking:

Some Japanese girls do seem to buy shoes too big for them. I’m not sure why. In my opinion it can cause more blisters and instability. I will however have to disagree about effortless and easy. I have been many places and I have see the worst high heel walking crime in Japan. They just slide along and don’t pick up their feet. Or walk extremely pigeon toed. Or there is a high rate of limps. Or walk the slowest pace ever. Although pigeon toed and limps could be the result of early club foot surgery as a child. I’ve been told that is the case. Famous figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi of Japanese decent had clubfoot as a child.

Shoe sizing:

TBH I usually do not hear the complaints of shoe sizing in Japan from Japanese women. I think seeing plus-size is very easy but seeing shoe size and judging is a bit hard. Although I bet many Japanese are smaller than a 23 and wonder why there is not consideration for that.

Often shoe size correlates to height and I just don’t think height is changing as fast as weight can. 6 months of bad eating and you’re fighting a weight battle vs. better nutrition in families over time who combine their propensity of height

• michelle
        April 4, 2014 / 11:51 pm

ahhh i see! thanks so much for your reply :))

5. April 4, 2014 / 2:34 am

many nice clothes :D Really like the stuff for Smileland:D

April 4, 2014 / 10:28 am

I’m glad there’s more options :)

6. April 4, 2014 / 4:52 am

Michelle Macron looks so so cute!!
    It’s so fascinating that so many different size stores are popping up all over the place, so quickly. – Or so it seems.

April 4, 2014 / 10:29 am

Michell is not so new, but I’m wondering when it will become an actual store, but sometimes it takes a few good years to get the capital :)

7. April 4, 2014 / 6:00 am

Eeh! I’m so excited for all these brands coming out with bigger sizes! I’m in between the small and big sizes so it was always awkward for me to find things that fit well in Japan. This should be perfect! Thanks for all the updates, this is really awesome to see Japanese fashion growing!

April 4, 2014 / 10:30 am

I would just like more Ls as a Medium Tall girl I slide more towards the Ls in pants and I’d love more L size options :)

8. Nora
    April 4, 2014 / 6:13 am

Satomin is too adorable, and her brand looks like so lovely -atlhough I am not as petite as her but something between EUR S and small M.

Inspired by this post I googled Satomin and one thing that I started to wonder is that in some older pics her nose looks kind of different (wider)… That made me curious if it is just contouring or did she have nose job, if it is only contouring that is really magic wow..!*o*

April 4, 2014 / 10:31 am

Plastic surgery is popular in Japan and Ageha often talks about it. Or just fillers. Fillers can change nose shape and they’re relatively cheap and very little concerns and very little downtime.

9. April 4, 2014 / 8:12 am

ok, i’m sorry this is so random but i love how the shoes she’s wearing in the first 2 pics are like an inch too big!! i see this all the time on japanese girls and i’m just thinking “how can they even walk?!?” heck even in shoes that fit, in heels that high, i am certainly walking to my death.

I guess it’s cool that smaller girls are getting some attention too, since some girls here are REALLY tiny, and i have a friend like that who is constantly having to shop in the kids’ sections… but i kinda have a hard time feeling bad for them… i see lots of XS sized clothes everywhere. (sorry, i’m a fattie. i have anger.) XD

I’ve been to the SmileLand in Shibuya before, but it was over a year ago and really disappointing… most of the stuff was not cute (stuff for fat ladies is always so plain… why?) and/or the fit was really off. not too mention that things were pretty expensive. considering the fact that Nissen is usually super cheap… but it seems as it might be worth it to go have another look! although like i said, there is still the issue of fit… big Japanese women tend to look like a big blocky rectangle, so the clothes in plus-sized stores here are made to fit that kind of body. they don’t account for curves AT all. so actually, if you’re a bigger foreign girl in Japan, i think it’s still better to stick to F21 and H&M…

April 4, 2014 / 10:34 am

I don’t understand the heel thing either. But I had to take a medicine for 4 years and the lasting side effect I have is horrible balance and occasional dizziness from simple things like going down stairs. So I try not to wear any super high heels. Also I’ve done so much heel walking before the drug’s side effects truly presented that I’ve done nerve damage to a toe. Oh the joys of heels in Japan :)

The weight gain I feel is something I hate to generalize on, but it’s also something I’ve noticed. I think bodies are so interesting. Any weight gain for me is going right to my boobs, belly and face. URG But I know people who gain weight in their calves, or butts or thighs or arms. But then again a lot of these items are not extremely fitted for such worries. Luckily a lot of the brands are doing stretchy items. :)

10. April 7, 2014 / 9:43 am

It seems like these larger-size brands are getting ignored in the gal mags… like, I expected to see at least a tiny blurb in April’s Nuts because they tend to mention “new store opening in 109” or something, but there wasn’t a word about Punyus. I’m a little concerned that the mainstream gal community (god what a weird combination of words) isn’t going to really support the move towards more inclusive sizing.

April 7, 2014 / 2:28 pm

It just depends who pays them. Gal mags are so ad driven so if wego forks out money it’ll happen. I wonder if they’re trying to advertise in kera or cutie or Ranzuki first. Ones more young or various style.

11. April 9, 2014 / 6:54 am

It’s good that there are more sizes, not only clothes, but shoes too!

12. April 26, 2014 / 11:08 am

Wow I cannot say how grateful I am for this post!! I have extreme difficulties to find good looking shoes in my size here so thank you very much for the links! That definitely calls for some shopping next month since I finally have some cute options ^_^ Thank you!
    xx Sam

13. Jali
    April 30, 2014 / 12:22 pm

Now if only Liz Lisa would make LL or even L sizes >_< Ugh. Excuuuuse me for having hips.