Dreamv Brands and Mon Lily by Yumetenbo

Mon Lily ikebukuro

I’ve talked about Yumetenbo / Dreamv(international store) in the past and it should be a well known name to those who like Japanese fashion. However they’ve really been changing lately. Mon Lily by web megastore Yumetenbo / Dreamv and has many collaborations and close ties with Larme Magazine it can be easily called Larme-kei as its main style. Larme-kei is part of the niche fashion markets that Yumetenbo is trying to cover. In this post I’m going to talk about their niche styles and more closely about their brand mon Lily.

Yumetenbo’s Past Market Model

Yumetenbo is known for latching onto trends and producing cheap second wave fashion from popular gyaru brands. High brands inspire gyaru brands who in turn inspire Yumetenbo/Galstar and other discount brands. It’s a cycle that has been happening for years. Personally I think they’re one of the reasons La Parfait shuttered its doors since they produce lots of hime items for cheap.

They’ve also tried to grab onto any new trend back with Mode Gyaru and Mori Gyaru. But recently they’ve decided to go a different way.

fashion-cycle

Very watered down version of the fashion cycle. Yumetenbo has been on that Discount brand ledge. Now they’re on a whole different one for many of their niche brands. Niche meaning they don’t have to appeal to everyone or even copy what high brands are doing. Instead they hope to find a core audience looking for a specific style.

yumetenbo-niche

Yumetenbo Produced Brands for Niche Fashion Markets

Instead of replicating what gyaru brands have been doing they’ve decided to create their own. And it’s not mass appeal but through niche fashion and being the producer. Below are some of their small style groups they’re trying to profit from.

Niche fashion forrays by Yumetenbo

:bow: Classic Yumetenbo Himekaji brand Dear My Love

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 12.34.55 PM

Diable Baiserr’s newest coordinates.

:bow: Former agejo now Oneegyaru brand Diable Baiserr

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 12.37.11 PM

Plumprimo trendy newest styles. From Onee to Ank Rouge styles.

:bow: Plus size brand Plumprimo which is still going strong.

primstone-yumetenbo-dreamv

:bow: The very popular dance and idol style with JK (junior high) girls now has a kid’s brand called Prismstone. Interestingly they say “look like an anime heroine” as their tagline for Prismstone. The sizing is done in kids sizes which is 120cm to 160cm. I’d talk more about this brand but I don’t think it fits my core readers. But still, interesting!

lnk-yumetenbo

LNK for NeoGal was their first Western-style lookbook shoot using only white models. Ways they’re trying to replicate the NeoGal look. Different from Yumetenbo’s usual method of using Japanese models for webstore catalog shots.

:bow: Their newest is their LN-K brand for NeogalWhich adds yet another brand to Neogal. Unsure how this unproducer backed brand will thrive but the items look cute if not slightly K-Pop style rips.

:bow: And Larme Magazine collaboration brand “mon Lily”  Which this whole post was supposed to be about…

From Net to Brick and Mortar

Japan has a very confusing relationship with technology.

For example, Japanese cellphones in the beginning were the more diverse, personalized and functional in the planet. I left for Japan in 2007 with a Razr. In Japan there were QR codes and even paying with your cell. But the iPhone and Android have completely taken over and yet you’ll still see a lot of people in Japan with flip phones.

On the website end in 2007 a ton of websites made themselves completely mobile friendly and it was the main way of browsing the net for a lot of Japanese. Net shopping became huge. But the iPhone swept over Japan very quickly and yet shopping websites were slow to change. Two years ago I could go onto popular gyaru brands and only get their very retro and extremely limited mobile site.

Now brands are embracing technology and even the last two gyaru brand hold outs OneSpo (fashionwalker) and DIA (mobacolle) are now on big fashion webstores.

So what is interesting to me is Yumetenbo has decided to open brick-and-mortar shops.

The first one is called the webshop’s name: Yumetenbo (actually called by kanji 夢展望) in HEP 5 in Osaka. I curse myself for not stopping by when I was in HEP 5 3 weeks ago. But instead enjoy photos from the official hep5.

yumetenbo-hep52yumetenbo-hep5-3yumetenbo-hep5-4 yumetenbo-hep5

Quite a large store housing all brands from Yumetenbo. Looks about the size of many WEGOs for comparison. I do think they hope to battle WEGO in size if they can for a different market of buyers.

The second one is mon Lily in Ikebukuro P’ Parco which opened in August of this year. Which is why I started writing this post and from now I’ll only talk about it and continue with it for the next few days.

Mon Lily in Ikebukuro P’ Parco

mon Lily was launched last year with the Larme magazine audience in mind. Larme has done many collaborations with brands but mon Lily is its biggest cohort in fashion.  When mon Lily opened their first actual store in Ikebukuro Parco a Larme model event was held and there was a Larme collaboration novelty given away for those who purchased enough.

I find this to be a very interesting step in Japanese fashion, it’s about as close as a magazine and a brand have gotten. But they still seem to be separate with Yumetenbo running the show.

ikebukuro-p-parco

Ikebukuro P’ Parco itself is an interesting venue. I’ve previously snapped a Candy Stripper shop staff there. The mall itself is separate from the train station and a bit behind it away from the popular Sunshine Street walk. P’ Parco is trying to revive itself with a Nico Nico cafe and trying to attract more stores, especially those with a aomojikei feel to them like Candy Stripper, Jouetie and others.

ikebukuro-parco-monlily

Outside the main Parco building in Ikebukuro signs trying to direct people to the updated P’ Parco including Mon Lily.

Mon Lily is located on the second floor of P’ Parco and the shop staff kindly let me take photos of the shop.

monlily-entrance-dreamv-japan

The entrance to the very small shop.

monlily-yumetenbo-ikebukuro

A view of the full layout of the store. Just three clothing racks and a flat display for shirts.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

All the sweet and soft colors of Mon Lily for fall.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Some of their dresses and cardigans neatly hung up. Their flatform shoes have been one of their best selling items.

monlily-christmas-tree

Their Christmas display along with Larme issue 13 open to the Mon Lily layout.

monlily-larme-magazine

Another angle of the Christmas tree because I thought it was so cute and replicable. I can’t have a Christmas tree this year because I have a kitten, but I really want to do it next year when Olaf calms down.

This is going to be a three parter on mon Lily that will continue tomorrow. The second part will be about their clothing and styles for Winter and also a review of the pieces I bought along with shots from the current Larme magazine featuring mon Lily. The third will be shop staff photos.

Why don’t I blog as often? Well every Lego game on the XBOX and I keep writing these incredibly long posts that I work on for several days. So I may be slower but hopefully more thorough?

follow the Doll on bloglovin | Universal-Doll facebook | Mitsu on twitter “miss_mitsu” | mewmitsu on instagram | inspired-doll tumblr – join/add/follow? :bow:

1. December 21, 2014 / 12:53 pm

Very interesting! Didn’t know that yumetenbou has grown so much with different things, and also they have their own store?? wow! looking forward to more posts on this ^^

December 21, 2014 / 1:05 pm

I used the word interesting to much in this post but I think so too! Their own store seems really neat. Hep 5 is a bit of failing mall or should I say changing mall? A lot of brands are moving out to the new Umeda OPA and Umeda EST. But Hep 5 is working on more mass appeal like a big addidas store and such. So Yumetenbo wanting to make a WEGO like move to be able to be accepted as a big store for lots of people Hep 5 is maybe a good start?

2. December 21, 2014 / 1:24 pm

I think it’s wrong that La Pafait got destroyed by cheaper brands. They destroyed themselves because they sell low quality items for ridicolous high prices. They have the same quality like Yumetembo :/

Btw I think it’s ok if you post less, I think your posts are really good and quality is better than quantity :) (And I think that you post quite often when I consider how detailed your posts are!!!)

December 22, 2014 / 12:23 pm

I half agree and half don’t. Maybe it’s more a brand can get away with shitty quality until a discount brand does the same at cheaper? Currently there’s a brand out there with bad quality and I’m wondering even with the love and hype surrounding it how long it’ll be around.

Thank you for thinking so! I hope to make longer posts. Although I feel guilty and I do love shop staff photos. They’re a bit of a break in between posts :)

3. December 21, 2014 / 3:03 pm

I’m really glad to see yumetenbou moving towards brick and mortar stores–I really do like their shoes but the sizing is super inconsistent, so I think being able to try things on will really help!

December 22, 2014 / 12:21 pm

I agree! There’s a lot of reasons that brick and mortar stores make sense. Sizing and trying on items being a top one :)

4. December 21, 2014 / 5:36 pm

Didn’t realise there was a yumetenbo in Hep5. Might have to make a visit (even though I hate going there for some reason)

December 22, 2014 / 12:20 pm

It’s really new and I forgot about it when I was there waiting for Kei. Hep5 is kind of crap now, not as good as Umeda OPA or EST.

5. Amari
    December 22, 2014 / 11:38 am

It would be awsome if Yumetenbo expanded their brick and mortar stores to the
    U.S. at some point.
    I agree with Miuko that it’s fine having less posts as long as they’re are high quality(like this one ^.^)
    OT: When are you going to finish your Larme magazine series? I’m really excited to see your next 2 parts about it (^.^)

December 22, 2014 / 12:19 pm

I think WEGO would be more likely. But it’s very weird. Uniqlo expanded to the US and they said they have no expectation of making a profit in the US for another 5 years. So impossible for any brand to say that really.

Larme post coming, especially the survey which is cool. It’s all translated but now I can’t find the magazine and I wanted photos to come with the survey. GAH! Soon though as soon as I can find the magazine ._.

6. December 24, 2014 / 1:00 pm

I like to go to Hep5 because there’s a Liz Lisa store there and I like the staff (Rima Ogura especially) so I always make it a point to at least take a look. I’m visiting in March and I was hoping (after reading this post) to catch the Yumetembo store since I’d already be there, but I think the website says the store is temporary and will only be there until January :-S ?
    Hopefully they will extend *crosses fingers*

December 25, 2014 / 8:31 am

It says its a limited store, but I’m not exactly sure what that means for the future. Many brands do pop-ups and limiteds to test the market and then see if it’s worth keeping a store there.

Osaka Hep 5 rocked last month! I went and there was a super gyaru girl working there whose name I forget but I went to DIA after that for a friend and I couldn’t help but think the Liz Lisa staff looked so much more gyaru. It was a bit crazy but great! She was so positive and fun!

7. March 19, 2015 / 1:26 pm

So I JUST rediscovered dreamv/Yumetenbo the other day and was like HOLY COW they changed so much ! *__* I actually really like that they have broken down into the niche styles so it’s easier to find items and put together coordinates, and hopefully their quality has gotten better too.

I don’t know how to feel about Yumetenbo quality because I had a pair of jeans from there that I loved to death, went through several washes and survived, but then I got a top that I think I wore like once or twice and it just kind of fell apart ;~; Maybe it just depends on the item ? But hopefully the fact that they are able to expand the store and the brands means they are making more $$ which means better quality/production !

8. Amari
    September 24, 2016 / 11:30 am

What happened to all those brands? When browsing their site over the year I’ve noticed that they only have 4 or 5 brands now